[Let's Watch!] Mawaru Penguindrum: "a penguin-like show" (・⊝・)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:42 am

Well, my intrigue finally won out on this one, so I decided to go ahead and dive in. :) Caught up to it over the past few days, and just finished the 4th episode-- and the only things I can think of to say right now are "HOLY CRAP" and "AWESOME." :wow!:

This show is dark, creepy, crazy, fun, and downright hilarious all at the right times, and the animation is brilliant, too. Add to that the fact that this also appears to be the type of show where every detail will matter (which I usually tend to love, since not only is it fun to try and piece together the connections yourself, but reading and participating in the collective speculations of the rest of the viewers in relative real-time is even more fun still! :)), and I am definitely going to stick with this one, no question.

...Even despite my very strong suspicion that at some point [spoiler]the 2 poor brothers are going to be transformed into those red/blue-colored 'magical girl' characters (or copies of them) that keep showing up everywhere (including the ED). :forehead::eyeroll: Though while I'm not too thrilled about that idea, after watching these first 4 episodes I've realized that even if that happens, somehow it will be done well.

(And here's another realization: I think I've just become a hopeless fan of this show. :grin:)[/spoiler] In all, no matter what happens, it's most certainly going to be a very interesting (train)ride. ;)

...Count me in! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:02 pm

^Did you read that we don't have to use spoiler tags?

Anyways, episode FOUR's ending was Denpateki na Kanojo levels of creepiness. This is getting even creepier.

On a more positive note, 'Let's Destiny!' may be the best catchphrase ever.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:28 am

All the Rose of Versailles references make me the happiest.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:11 am

Yeah, spoiler tags are only necessary for spoiling future episodes (i.e. those that have not aired), like I am about to do regarding the identities of the red and blue haired girls in the ED.
[SPOILER]It's been confirmed in the novel that they are not Kanba and Shoma. You can take what you see in the ED fairly literally, actually.[/SPOILER]

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1493891) wrote:All the Rose of Versailles references make me the happiest.

Watch Utena.

This episode had a disappointing lack of seizon senryaku, but an excellent abundance of penguins being awesome. I still can't decide if One or Two is the best one. Also noticed the skunk had a penguin on it.

OP/ED singles
The OP, Noruniru, is performed by Yakushimaru Etsuko. She's the lead vocalist for the awesome band Soutaiseiriron but she does her own solo projects too. Soutaiseiriron hasn't done any anison yet, but she has. She's done OPs and EDs for Natsu no Arashi, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, and The Tatami Galaxy. The Noruniru single will be released October 5.

The ED, DEAR FUTURE, is performed by Coaltar of the Deepers, another excellent band who've actually been around for a while (almost twenty years). I don't think they usually do anison. The DEAR FUTURE single is out August 31.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:53 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1493891) wrote:All the Rose of Versailles references make me the happiest.
Wait, so there was a Rose of Versailles reference IN the Rose of Versailles reference?

Also, let's speculate. I like that Ringo is still very important, but any calls on who the main antagonist will be? I am going to assume it is not one of the many people in the OP that we haven't seen yet, though I guess as someone who hasn't seen Utena I can't really guess about the structure of the show. Do you guys think that the numerous penguin signs in the background are a result of the Penguin God's effect on the area.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1493864) wrote:^Did you read that we don't have to use spoiler tags?
Whoops! :red: You know, I actually did, back when the thread was started]Yeah, spoiler tags are only necessary for spoiling future episodes (i.e. those that have not aired), like I am about to do regarding the identities of the red and blue haired girls in the ED.
[spoiler]It's been confirmed in the novel that they are not Kanba and Shoma. You can take what you see in the ED fairly literally, actually.[/spoiler][/quote] Excellent!! :jump: Thanks, blkmage! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Episode 4:

ROSES

Cute skunk, "dazzling the stage", and "Let them eat cake."
I'm liking Ringo's thought musical theater. Though I can't say I like her as a character that much yet.

No survival strategy this time. I was rather relieved at the change of pace.

I do like that the penguins reflect the personalities of their human counterparts. Though, not entirely, but the penguins seem like a "part" of the two brothers and their sister.

I look forward to further development of the idea of fate. *hops on the subway, waiting for the next stop*
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 pm

Two things I noticed.

First of all, the birdwatchers watching Ringo and Tabuki after she gets saved. They are watching them through their binoculars.

Secondly, there's a shot of the station near the end. It's Akasaka-mitsuke, which is on the "Ogikubo" (red) line, but is also on the "Shibuya" line, which is indicated in yellow. Based on the nomenclature, I'm assuming they named the lines based on the first station, since already know that the red line is the Marunouchi line. It turns out the "Shibuya" line is the Ginza line and is actually coloured orange irl. This station is also connected to the Namboku (emerald) and Hanzoumon (purple) lines, although they're not indicated. I think this is the first instance in which a reference to a line that isn't the red line has been shown.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:05 pm

IN THIS EPISODE

hat shenanigans, Penguin Queen is mean, Kanba becomes meguca
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:23 am

Lotta pay in episode 5 from a few things that have been building. A few unexpected things happened as well -> Ringo getting called out + PUNCH!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:53 am

Man, they're continuing to pile on even more layers of mystery, aren't they? :grin:

#1: First, there's 'assassin-girl,' as I'm now calling her. :grin: When she visited her clueless victim (and, BTW, I'm pretty surprised that red-heels-girl actually survived), assassin-girl asked red-heels if she remembered anything, and the response was that red-heels remembered 'him' (which I assumed had meant their meeting with Kanba...?). Yet then assassin-girl pulls out and fires that red-penguin-ball(!)-shooting device at her-- which, apparently, erases red-heels' memories. ...Huh?? I mean, I thought that the main point of that whole incident was to frame Kanba for it so the girls would have their revenge? So what's up with erasing the victim's memory of meeting him? Because her mentioning that to the police instead of not being able to remember anything would definitely have caused him some problems. (Now, obviously, I'm not assuming that was assassin-girl's only motive; in fact, I'm quite sure she was just using the situation for her own goals, whatever those may be. But that does seem to be an odd decision in that context-- unless, of course, the 'him' that red-heels was referring to wasn't Kanba at all? Hmm...)

#2: Some mysterious figure hands Kanba the apparently rather large sum of money that they needed to pay off their uncle-- and it's marked with a penguin symbol. Even more importantly, though, Kanba doesn't seem the least surprised by this sudden 'gift'-- so either he asked for it, or...?

#3: Yet another penguin-mark also appeared... in the flashback... ON THEIR FATHER'S COAT! So, whatever is going on, apparently it had already started at least 9 years earlier! (Though, of course, the penguin hat has mentioned time-travel...)

Other comments:

Um, what on earth were the in-train video signs supposed to be doing this time? Was that a dance routine or something? :sweat::grin:

Also, on a more serious note, we already knew that both of the brothers-- and Kanba in particular-- would do literally anything for Himari. But wow, was that put to the test in this episode. ...OUCH.

And, finally: Cockroach Revenge, LOL!! :lol::lol:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:03 pm

So remember how in episode two Ringo said she would be living with Tabuki soon? And then she said she would have her first kiss with Tabuki soon, but it ended up being Shouma instead that "kissed" her? Remember who she was living in the same house as after episode two?

Something interesting I noticed.

Also, the SEIZON SENRYAKU was really awesome and it was very satisfying seeing the Penguin God calling Ringo out on her crap.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I just wanted to drop in and say: Penguins are the best.

I'm watching this anime due to seeing some .gif's of the penguins around the net that piqued my interest. So far, there are a lot of things contained in it that I am unsure of, but I will continue to follow the series, giving it a chance to make good use of those things. (Mostly related to plot elements and recycled animations. Both of these could either be good or terrible, depending on how they use them in the future.)

Regardless, I love the penguins. So for now:

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1496010) wrote:So remember how in episode two Ringo said she would be living with Tabuki soon? And then she said she would have her first kiss with Tabuki soon, but it ended up being Shouma instead that "kissed" her? Remember who she was living in the same house as after episode two?
Oh, wow, good call, Hat. I totally forgot about all that. Veeeery interesting indeed. This is the reason to watch shows together.

Also:
Cognitive Gear (post: 1496017) wrote:I'm watching this anime
WHOA, Cog's watching anime!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:18 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1496063) wrote:Also:WHOA, Cog's watching anime!

:lol: There was a time when this wasn't unusual. Hopefully this will re-motivate me to check out other new shows, though.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:28 am

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that there's no episode this week.
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:38 am

....*sadface* Dangit! Ah, well. I love how people are bringing up things that I noticed in passing, and making me laugh about them all over again (like how everyone in the birdwatching group was watching the double-date through their binoculars all the time)
Atria35

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Finally, Episode 6! :jump:

Wow, lot of really illuminating backstory for Ringo there. And that backstory also now throws some doubt onto whether or not the diary is actually the Penguindrum... though, granted, pretty much everything that was written in it did actually (re?-)happen, just with Tabuki/Yuri or Ringo/Shouma instead of Ringo/Tabuki, so I still have no idea about that one. :sweat:

Also, those red balls are getting creepier-- along with the lady who's wielding them. :) (...Plus, BLACK PENGUIN FINALLY APPEARS!!)

Finally, by the little teaser at the end it seems that (as suspected) the 'sacrifice' theme is going to be getting stronger, as well...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:38 pm

The reveal for Ringo's motivation is pretty interesting. Yes, she's crazy, but she's not the typical yandere who's obsessed with the object of her love. Actually, it's kind of questionable whether she is actually in love with Tabuki. Rather, her obsession stems from trying to fulfill her sister's fate and making her family happy again. So actually, I guess there is no dere involved in this case and she's just crazy.

Also, it sucks to be Shoma.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Listen, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything.

Obtain the Blue Ray, which goes on sale September, 28.

Let's initiate the Survival Strategy!

Also: Weasel Kineval.

*EDIT: This show missed a golden opportunity. Neither one of those girls uttered the word, "Hidebu." Had they done so, Penguindrum would be number one.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Well, this show just got much more interesting. Ringo's motivation gives a lot more insight into her character, simultaneously making her less and more creepy. She goes from creepy love struck stalker to creepy controlling obsessive.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of the sniper-slingshot lady as she tries to truly obliterate Kanba from existence. I can't help but wonder what the motivation for that is.

Cognitive Gear

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:37 am

Momoka is Penguin God, calling it now.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:46 am

It should be officially noted I'm only watching this show in hopes that Shoma's life will get better.

Also, there's that other penguin from the OP.
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:32 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:44 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1498587) wrote:Image
Isn't this kind of an insult?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:50 am

That's why it's the easy mode bingo.

Bingo works better as speculah bingo (see Star Driver or the Angel Beats bingo that seems to be lost to history)
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:34 am

It hadn't occurred to me before, but I noticed in this episode how Kanba is completely uninvolved in the Penguindrum-obtaining part of the story. At this point, he seems to be in his own parallel story with the gun lady.

As for Project M, we now know what it is. While we still don't know what the Penguindrum is and what's needed to obtain it, we do know that the Queen of the Crystal is awfully adamant about Ringo being the one to fulfill what's written in the diary. I don't think it's a simple matter of the diary playing out with Yuri and Tabuki or Shoma and Ringo.

And once again, being Shoma is suffering and LOL #2.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:49 pm

The ED single, DEAR FUTURE by Coaltar of the Deepers, is out and contains not one, not two, but seven versions of the song.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:20 pm

I keep on hoping Ringo gets some development in the way of not being crazy, because she and Sho will inevitably get together, but yeah, no luck with that.

It's still pretty hilarious seeing Ringo get trolled though, which is a thing I like about this show. It has an obvious story it wants to tell, but it is also really hilarious just to watch.=
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 pm

So, since I didn't post last week, opinion on ep.'s 7 and 8:

Um, wow. Those were both kinda mildly disturbing at points, actually. :red::sweat: I mean, it was already more than obvious that Ringo needed some serious mental help, but man, she really took it to the extreme there. (!) :eh: Thankfully though, as expected, a few things did prevent her from fully completing her plan.

And then came the very end of ep. 8... and, well, I'm pretty sure that my exact reaction was: :wow!: "NOOO!!!" :?:

I mean, okay, let's face it-- I did kinda have the feeling that, by the end, at least someone wouldn't make it out of the series alive; but, to be honest, aside from the (apparent) baddies, I had figured that it would most likely be either Himari or Kanba (or both, I suppose) who'd get the eventual boot. For some reason I guess I just assumed that Shouma would probably be safe. :shake:

...That said, the show has already had characters pretty darn seriously injured and yet mysteriously surviving when it was unlikely that they should (and I don't mean just Himari, where the outside influence in keeping her alive was clear from the start; I mean like red-heels girl), so I'm really hoping (and almost kinda expecting) that Shouma does, too. Because if he doesn't-- particularly with the previous examples, and also with it being at the point that it is in the series-- that would honestly be a pretty large shock. (And while, of course, such a shock would not necessarily be a bad thing at all in itself, in this case it kinda would be for me, because I *really* like Shouma, darn it! :sniffle:)

Well-done evil cliffhanger. :?::shady::sweat:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews