[Let's Watch!] Mawaru Penguindrum: "a penguin-like show" (・⊝・)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby blkmage » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm

A penguindrum.

blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm

MomentOfInertia (post: 1505661) wrote:I think you're right here Hats, except I don't think the diary is the penguindrum]But it hasn't rebelled, it just hasn't predicted what Ringo thought it was predicting.
...Momoka must have been a real jerk then because she cussed Ringo out pretty bad a few eps ago.
I would not be surprised if she did that in hopes of making Ringo not be a creepy stalker.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:46 pm

MomentOfInertia (post: 1505661) wrote:I think you're right here Hats, except I don't think the diary is the penguindrum]But it hasn't rebelled, it just hasn't predicted what Ringo thought it was predicting.
...Momoka must have been a real jerk then because she cussed Ringo out pretty bad a few eps ago.
I would not be surprised if she did that in hopes of making Ringo not be a creepy stalker.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1505667) wrote:But it hasn't rebelled, it just hasn't predicted what Ringo thought it was predicting.

But it has phrased those predictions in an easily misinterpret-able way. If they hadn't gotten it a way from Ringo she probably would have caught on soon and tried to get away from Shoma so he'd stop messing it up.

"Listen up you lowlifes who will never amount to anything!"
I rest my case.

"Obtain the blu-ray!"
I hear this over every ad for a DVD/BR release of a show, and it's still funny.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:24 pm

I think Momoka being the first penguin god/hat could work. I haven't seen enough anime to be sure it's her, though. XD
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1505666) wrote:I would not be surprised if she did that in hopes of making Ringo not be a creepy stalker.

MomentOfInertia (post: 1505671) wrote:"Listen up you lowlifes who will never amount to anything!"
I rest my case.

I don't know, I have two younger sisters, and depending on the situation, how delusional one was and just how irked I got, I can imagine being fairly nasty in the hopes of making her see sense. Especially if no one else is doing much of anything.

...Er, maybe I'm just a horrible person. >__>;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby blkmage » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Episode 11 is super interesting, but not just because of how a number of things played out like everyone was expecting. But I will draw your attention to something that may not be as obvious to us in particular.

So, ever since the show started, everyone was wondering about the 95 and as it turns out, everyone who was speculating guessed correctly. First of all, Ringo's birthday is on March 20 and she's 16 years old, which places her birthday and Momoka's death on March 20, 1995. When Ringo and Shouma refer to that incident, every person in Japan knows what they're talking about.

That incident, in the real world, is the sarin gas attack on the Toyko metro system, which remains the worst attack in Japan since WWII. Members of the Aum Shinrikyo cult carried sarin gas onto a bunch of trains and released it remotely during the morning rush hour commute. It ended up killing thirteen people and injuring thousands. One of the affected lines was the Marunouchi line, which is the line on which the entire show takes place.

Of course, Penguindrum could take place in a fictional universe run by penguin corporations, but there's now a very, very strong reference to the incident, which is very, very significant.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:49 pm

#11: Wow-- another excellent episode!

Second Hat revealed to Kanba (after a rather intriguing conversation), a bit more character development on Ringo's part, *and* a couple of pretty huge revelations there at the end.

Very much looking forward to finding out why Shouma thinks that he and Kanba are responsible for that incident...!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm

It makes me happy to see the series gaining more meaning and momentum. Also, Blkmage, your research is greatly appreciated. :D

In the meantime, we have a new stalker in the game, as well as a new hat and the pink haired librarian to get back to.
And apparently love potion works if you put a frog on your face.

Also, the Survival Strategy came at the perfect time this episode. Missing the Rock and Roll Night, but that's okay.

Every time Shoma gets hit, I shed a tear. 8'(
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:22 am

I was trying to figure out when I remembered seeing the second hat, and it turned out to be two episodes ago, during Himari's episode when they were at the aquarium watching the penguins.

Also, the way Shouma refers to it, he may not be saying that they're responsible for the incident, but rather, they're responsible for Momoka's death. I've heard that on the Marunouchi Line, there was exactly one death. I do have to say that I think going down this route is extremely ballsy (kind of like making an anime where a central plot element is the Oklahoma City bombing) so I'm pretty intrigued at what Ikuni might have to offer.
blkmage

Postby TWWK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:36 am

I like this analysis of the episode, particularly on the speculation that the boys' parents absence might indicate that they were part of the Aum Shinrikyo. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that Shouma's claim of responsibility is because he and his brother are the children of those involved.

Anyway, Mawaru Penguindrum is just awesome week after week. Has there been any news on when the second season will air?
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:41 am

It's 24 episodes.
blkmage

Postby TWWK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am

Does that mean it's going to continue to air into the fall?

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:53 am

Yep, two cours. And another reason why fall will be quite boss.
blkmage

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks for that historical insight, Blkmage.

@TWWK: That was a very interesting blog post.

Maybe the the Takakura parents helped with the attacks to pay for the children...?

I think I enjoyed Masako's walls too much. XD;

Sometimes I wish Shoma was less nice. But then I guess he wouldn't be Shoma.

Yuri took the Ringo/Tabuki situation very calmly. So does Yuri care about him or not? And if she doesn't, why are they getting engaged? o.O

If they're going to put Ringo and Shoma together (which would make me happy because I'm dorky like that), Ringo needs to stop hitting him. Seriously. :I

So this alternate-dimension-thingie the penguin god (who was in a very different state of mind this week) takes us to has a subway train in it.
Goldy wrote:Also, the Survival Strategy came at the perfect time this episode. Missing the Rock and Roll Night, but that's okay.
This. ^

I wish it was next Friday yesterday. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby TWWK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm

blkmage (post: 1506386) wrote:Yep, two cours. And another reason why fall will be quite boss.

Awesome. Soooo many shows I'm anticipating this fall...

TWWK

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:30 pm

So... you know how Shou's penguin keeps eating things and turning purple collapsing and drooling?

Wikipedia Article on Sarin wrote:Initial symptoms following exposure to sarin are a runny nose, tightness in the chest and constriction of the pupils. Soon after, the victim has difficulty breathing and experiences nausea and drooling.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:36 pm

That's actually super interesting because I was reading something about how every penguin mirrors their respective owners pretty closely in their actions and personality, except for #2, who's always, uh, eating things and getting sick.

EDIT:

Recall the eyecatch and notice where the gas was released and what episode we're on.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:16 am

My mind has been blown.

Also, 25 stops, but only 24 episodes. O:

And episode 8 was a very pivotal point. Also, next episode! D8
goldenspines

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:23 am

goldenspines (post: 1506598) wrote:Also, 25 stops, but only 24 episodes. O:

Well obviously, we get 24 episodes of Pengiundrum and then arrive in Ikebukuro for the next season of Durarara!! XD

I'd give some commentary on #11 but everything I wanted to say has already been covered, so I'll just repeat the thanks to Blkmage for the background information.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:48 am

Wait... Penguinhat Celty?!?

I like that twist with the history...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:53 pm

My mind's blown, too. 8l

So next episode, someone leaves? (The only Yotsuya I can find is a place; how can a place leave a train...? I'm confused.) Well, so long as it's not Shoma, I think I could recover... >.>

Then it looks like something else leaves in ep 14, or maybe it's just another significant episode. Same with ep 21?

Or maybe I'm looking too far ahead. XD;;

*wonders about Shouma's penguin*

FllMtl Novelist

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:04 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1506509) wrote:So... you know how Shou's penguin keeps eating things and turning purple collapsing and drooling?
Wikipedia Article on Sarin wrote:Initial symptoms following exposure to sarin are a runny nose, tightness in the chest and constriction of the pupils. Soon after, the victim has difficulty breathing and experiences nausea and drooling.
blkmage (post: 1506510) wrote:That's actually super interesting because I was reading something about how every penguin mirrors their respective owners pretty closely in their actions and personality, except for #2, who's always, uh, eating things and getting sick.

EDIT:

Recall the eyecatch and notice where the gas was released and what episode we're on.
^ HOLY CRAP...! :o
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Hah, I finally realized why there was that random apple in the OP and ED...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Just ran across these ongoing episode analyses, all of which (+ the posts' comments, as well) feature some interesting detailed observations and theories...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Honestly, I don't know where to start with this week's episode. The one thing that wasn't obvious before that seemed a lot more clear to me (as opposed to the torrent of other things they introduced or referenced) is that the "drugs" in tubes that we thought were drugs is probably the gas.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 pm

By the way, havve there been any hints as to WHY Himari was sick?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 pm

I feel like it's been mentioned before, but I don't know where. I think it might've been the doctor.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 pm

So far all I've gotten is LOLfate.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 pm

blkmage (post: 1507549) wrote:Honestly, I don't know where to start with this week's episode...
No kidding! There have been a lot of episodes in this series that have wowed me-- but this one left me speechless.

Along with some important confirmations (including what was pulled out of the one brother's chest in the first Survival Strategy, which brother it indeed was, and why; the gas incident and {at least part of} what that had to do with their family; etc.), so much new information and story layers and details leading to so many new questions were unveiled on top of that, I feel like I need to watch it again right away to take it all in.

And it was tremendously emotional by the end, there, as well.

...Yeah. Speechless.

I absolutely cannot wait for next week!!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:36 am

With penguins, lambs, and bunnies, I think we've maxed out on the cute animals this episode.

So, orange shirt guys and Kanba/Sho/Himari's dad were part of the incident. It seems to be implied as an explosion though. What kind of company was their dad working for and if their mother was in the hospital at the time (giving birth to a boy), then what was her role?
Pink haired guy is with the creepy black bunnies. His badness level has risen.
Speaking of pink haired guy (I know he has a name, but whatever), I do wonder if he has some connection to the doctor because of that first scene.

So, Kanba did actually do something good for his sister in the beginning (sort of), I guess he can be redeemed as not being a as of huge jerk anymore. I'm oddly happy she didn't take the other half of his life, though. Heaven forbid, I would feel very sad if Kanba died.
Granted, Himari died (again) and that was very sad. But, it's almost like you knew it would come, but still didn't want it to.

Also, who is "Mary" and why do they look like a guy in the mind theater? (no, really, I want to know.)

I'm rather worried and excited about next week's episode.

@ Mech: That's all I'm getting too. The "LOLFate ya fools"
As to why Himari is sick, it may be tied into the subway accident if it indeed follows a similar pattern as the Sarin attack did.
goldenspines

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews