[Let's Watch!] Mawaru Penguindrum: "a penguin-like show" (・⊝・)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 am

Working theory is that Mary is almost definitely their dad.

I'm not sure that the thing that the Princess of the Crystal takes is Kanba's life, mostly because that seems a little too obvious and easy. And she mentions that it's something that you kind of only have one of, but not quite, since Kanba seems to think the process is repeatable.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:56 am

I've been listening to the Penguindrum OP single on loop for hours. It's a double A-side single containing the first OP, Nornir (ノルニル), and the second OP, Boys, Come Back to Me (少年よ我に帰れ) both by Etsuko Yakushimaru and the Metropolitan Orchestra and both of which have awesome full versions. Anyway, keep your eyes peeled this week for a possible OP swap.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 am

^ Actually, interestingly enough, it was the ED that changed this week.

...Speaking of:

Episode 13. Well, I'm trying not to start all of my Penguindrum reaction posts with "Wow," but it just keeps happening! :sweat: So, yeah. Wow.

Major alarm bells were going off for me during the entire first part of the 'current' events in the episode-- seriously, they absolutely cannot trust that guy; and I don't even want to speculate on what or how bad the 'price' is going to be now for the Takakuras or Masako! :eh:-- but the entire last part (with the explanation of who Himari's Penguin Hat is & etc.!!) was once again just fascinating. And, of course, in between all of that we got some good flashbacks about the investigation with the kids' parents.

Yet another excellent episode. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Episode 14.

Remember the good old days when Ringo was the craziest person on the show?

blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm

O.O Yeaaaahhhhh. Man the teacher gets ALL the crazy.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Episode 14:

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh? O_o

Mawaru Penguindrum: "Every character you like will get trolled by every character you hate. Then, we'll make you like the character you hate to get other characters to troll them too. lol"

Also, is the sarin attack parallel just, like, gone now?
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 pm

I doubt it. It's probably that there are so many threads to this show that it can't deal with them all in one episode.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 pm

blkmage (post: 1510559) wrote:Episode 14.

Remember the good old days when Ringo was the craziest person on the show?

...Um, yeah. I think that pretty much sums it up. :eh:

And now I think my mind needs a shower... :?:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Shoma is going to blame himself for this...

I think I nominate Ko vs Slingshot Chick as most awsome fight scene. *footsweep* "[I am defeated!] I'll find happiness my own way." XP

Mary is just... Well, the moral of the story is don't work with penguins in antartica...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:59 pm

All the talk about this all starting with antarcktica is now making me think of Mountains of Madness... and wonder if the whole penguin thing is a spiffy cover for a great old one or something.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:22 pm

So. Kanba is the head of a criminal syndicate, huh? Alright. Noted, matter-of-fact-like.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:15 pm

This show is out of control.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Good news: ピンドラOP was trending on twitter in Japan today and I've seen screencaps, so the new OP is finally in this week.

Bad news: the translator on Penguindrum was in a car accident and, while unhurt, has to take care of accident-related stuff (insert something about let's destiny and survival strategy)
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:21 pm

AW YEAH NEW OP

OKAY SO

That's another Image for Yuri's backstory. And a Image for Momoka and diary shenanigans. Something is definitely up with the timeline there and I don't have the mental fortitude at the moment to piece it all together. And of course, there's suddenly so many connections and metaphors to deal with.

And lol at #1 wotagei-ing it up for #3.
blkmage

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:17 pm

...I still don't care about yuri.
I wasn't really listening, but is Momoka using a different word for love? I thought she said Suki, but I don't remember what yuri's dad said.
Odd, them saying Ringo was fine after yuri saying what she did at first.

I rest my case about nude art. XP

Except for learning the true nature of the diary, this ep was very un-informing. I miss the survival strategies.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:14 am

Are there ANY sane people in this show? Yuri's dad is a monster whether her wounds are physical or symbolic Yuri's way out there... the main 3 might be closest, but only because they're not actively messing with people, just reacting.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 am

Are there ANY sane people in this show?
There was that waitress lady carrying the little tables and the penguin; she's probably sane.
Rusty Claymore

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:06 am

It's not so much that the characters are insane but, just like Utena, it's about characters who are deeply broken. And also like in Utena, it's unclear how much of what we're seeing on screen is metaphor.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Yeah I guess I could go with either the grey faceless hordes or the background charachters as the sane people.

I havn't seen Utena yet, but I guess I should clarify that deeply broken can look rather... unhinged. I guess it's more that nobody seems to have a normal response to anything. There's also a strong undercurrent of parental abuse or abandonment showing up, with the siblings, Yuri and Ringo all having serious issues with their parents. Is there a destiny thing in Japanese culture where your parents sins or bad karma fall on the kids?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Holy...! :wow!: ...Ugh, well no wonder the poor woman is messed up. :eh:

At least Ringo was saved, though (*whew!*), and those were some great new little insights into Momoka and the diary.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh hey, wait a second, I guess that kind of explains why Ringo bursts into flames in the OP.

Also, I wonder if that means we might see a transfer later on. Time to look up Tokyo Metro maps.

Goodness, Tokyo metro has transfers between lines everywhere.

Okay, so there's still:

M-16 to Hibaya H-08, Ginza G-09
M-18 to Toei Mita I-09, Chiyoda C-11, Touzai T-09, Hanzoumon Z-08
M-19 to Chiyoda C-12, Shinjuku S-07
M-21 to Toei Ouedo E-08
M-22 to Namboku N-11, Toei Mita I-12, Toei Ouedo E-07
M-25 to Yurakuchou Y-09, Fukutoshin F-09
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:47 am

[SIZE="4"]The Mt. Rushmore of Abusive Anime Fathers[/SIZE]

Image Image Image

Dude on the far right is the newest inductee Mr. Tokikago (Yuri's dad). Welcome, sir.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 am

MR PRESIDENT WATCH OUT OH MY GOD

So I think that's one more case of parents ruining children's lives.

Blowfish is totally a real thing and historically, if someone dies because the fish was ill-prepared, the chef who prepared it is supposed to commit ritual suicide. Obviously, today, it's extremely tightly regulated.

And, of course

blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 am

Yes! Now *this* is back to the Penguindrum I know and love! :thumb:

The humor in this episode was excellent :grin:, and we finally got some backstory on Masako (and it was quite a good backstory, too). Also loved the fact that for much of the episode (especially the end!), you never knew what was real or what was a dream until afterwards. And holy crap, was that a deliciously creepy bit with Sanetoshi-- "We're taking back the world"!! :wow!:

Also, the lyrics of the newest ED song were too perfect-- I totally LOL'd! :lol::lol::lol:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:46 pm

The ED sums up my thoughts on this episode.

But finally we get a real survival strategy again. Welcome to Rock'n'Roll Night~
That American guy.
I found myself happy that Masako was not really dead.
I really liked Masoko's labels over the faces for her family aside from Mario.
Ringo is Sho's stalker now, what.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 pm

blkmage

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:12 pm

*Penguin himari holds up sign, "Survival strategy!"*
Me - "YEAH!!!"
*Strategy ends*
Me - ...ne?
*Masako's story, gramp dies of blowfish poison*
Me-...ne?
*Ending Lyrics*
Me - ...yup.

...And that's why I watch penguindrum. XD
Rusty Claymore

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Man theres a lot of poison in this show.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:54 pm

blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:18 am

Episode 17:

What the... :eyebrow: so the Penguindrum is *NOT* the diary, but instead has something to do with Kanba (or at least the Takakuras)?! I have no idea what to think about that! (...Well, okay, actually I kinda do-- but as much as I've been expecting one of the protagonists to be killed off for good by the time the series is over, I obviously really don't want it to go that route, so I hope I'm wrong... :?:)

And now we finally get around to some development with Tabuki, as well. It's been the going theory for a while now that his niceness and properness were just a fake shell/image that he wanted to project, and that seems to have been borne out this episode with the whole "the parents' sins shouldn't fall on the children, and anyway Momoka wouldn't want it" thing turning into the "LOL, just kidding, Imma punish you now" thing there by the end. :P (Though, if that really is the case, why he would want to keep up that facade around Yuri I have no clue... unless maybe Tabuki wanted to be the only one to deliver the punishment...?)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews