[Let's Watch!] Mawaru Penguindrum: "a penguin-like show" (・⊝・)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

[Let's Watch!] Mawaru Penguindrum: "a penguin-like show" (・⊝・)

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm

[SIZE="4"]What?[/SIZE] (`・⊝・´ )
Mawaru Penguindrum is an original anime produced by Brain's Base. It is being directed and written by Ikuhara Kunihiko. The story is about two brothers and a sister. There are penguins in it. The sister is sick and dies, but then, a miracle occurs…

[SIZE="4"]Who?[/SIZE] (・⊝・)
Ikuhara Kunihiko is most famous for directing Revolutionary Girl Utena and Sailor Moon. In fact, the last thing he worked on was Utena. It has been fourteen years since Utena.

Penguins are a group of aquatic, flightless birds living almost exclusively in the souther hemisphere, especially in Antarctica. Highly adapted for life in the water, penguins have countershaded dark and white plumage, and their wings have become flippers. Most penguins feed on krill, fish, squid, and other forms of sealife caught while swimming underwater. They spend about half of their lives on land and half in the oceans.

[SIZE="4"]Why?[/SIZE] (・⊝・∞)
Much like Star Driver, which saw the involvement of Utena's writer Enokido Youji, much of the reason to watch this show is in its potential. We have an original work by a talented creator with a unique style who seems unbound by the conventions surrounding the medium.

Ikuhara has been evasive about revealing any information before the show started airing. He's already addressed the Utena comparisons, saying "Unfortunately, this is not an 'Utena-like show.' Rather, it's more of a 'penguin-like show.'" Obviously, Ikuhara's weird touches are noticeable, if that's what you'd consider Utena-like. However, it doesn't seem to be following in the structural style of Utena at all like Star Driver did.

There's already a ton of obvious imagery and motifs, so there'll be plenty to talk about over the course of the show.

Also, there are penguins in it.

[SIZE="4"]When?[/SIZE]
Mawaru Penguindrum is currently airing, on Thursday nights at 26:10 JST. It is unlicensed.

Since this is Let's Watch! and we are all watching, unmarked spoilers are allowed up to the current episode. If you're the first to talk about a new episode, make it extremely clear [color="Magenta"]like this[/color] or something. I'll leave it up to your discretion.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Awesome.

This show is awesome. The discussion will be awesome. Penguins are awesome.

AWESOME

*EDIT I am not being facetious here. The first episode really blew me away. Very jarring (in a good way) twists. It's like Ikuhara gave the finger to everyone who was thinking this was going to be a moe slice of life thing.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 pm

..Sure why not? I'd meant to watch it anyway- this gives me an excuse to.
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:08 pm

I wish I could join in because this looks awesome :<
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Let's start talking about it then, since episode 2 just aired but hasn't been subbed yet.

The thing I love about it more than the penguins (heresy, I know) is the subway imagery. I am an incredibly gigantic transit nerd and I can waste hours looking at transit maps and and stations and signage. I live in Toronto, where our subway signage and station typography is completely inconsistent and arbitrary. I'm always jealous when I see NYC's or London's signage and the subway signage in Penguindrum (which I'm not sure is the same signage that's used in real Tokyo) evokes the same feeling in me. I am also jealous that all of these cities have more than two and two half subway lines.

ლ(¯ロ¯ლ)
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:37 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1490734) wrote:Awesome.

This show is awesome. The discussion will be awesome. Penguins are awesome.

AWESOME

*EDIT I am not being facetious here. The first episode really blew me away. Very jarring (in a good way) twists.
This post.

This first episode freaking blew me away when I first watched it. I was expecting it to be good, but I certainly didn't expect it to be my favorite in a season containing another season of Natsume Yujincho, and I am eagerly awaiting another episode.

Also, are we allowed to post spoilers untagged like in the DRRR!! thread?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Good call, yes, unmarked spoilers are allowed up to the current episode. If you're the first to talk about a new episode, make it extremely clear.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Trailers watched. Attention get. Participation in thread imminant.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:04 pm

I have no idea who would have thought this would be moe slice of life, Subtle Doctor. But maybe people don't know what kind of shows Blkmage recommends. XD; *is kidding, mostly. :3;*

I have mixed feelings about this series thus far; most of them are going in a good direction. While the first episode doesn't have me hooked, it sure as heck has me interested.

Somehow, it combines almost random elements that make you wonder what is going on and how this all fits together. That's a good sign; if Ikuhara pulls it off in the end, that is. Blkmage covered most of the essentials, but I do wonder how or if the question as to at least why penguins and why subways will be answered.
[spoiler] And also why is the creepy hat queen ripping people's souls out? ;^;

Also, I dunno guys, I'm with Sho. Those penguins creep me out. [/spoiler] Tentatively looking forward to the next subway stop.

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I should probably tack a warning on here for our content wary members. This series seems to (so far) contain a bit of mature content which includes but is not limited to soul/spirit possession, hints of incest, and the violence level of that last picture that Blkmage posted in the OP. XP I'll continue to watch and update on this, though.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:16 pm

The meaning of the subways is probably easier to get started on, particularly in connecting with the idea of fate. I've already seen a lot of interesting talk about the actual subway line itself that the show takes place on, the Marunouchi line and its historical and geographical significance.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm

goldenspines (post: 1490765) wrote:I have no idea who would have thought this would be moe slice of life, Subtle Doctor.
Based on the first 12 minutes, which is two brothers taking care of their sick little sister, I'd say someone would be entitled to assume it was going to be that sort of show. Then...

Survival Strategy! (the finger I was referring to)
blkmage (post: 1490778) wrote:The meaning of the subways is probably easier to get started on, particularly in connecting with the idea of fate.
Do you think, since this is an Ikuhara show, it might buck the trend of being anti-fate? Most anime (I've seen) tends to lean towards a rejection of the idea in favor of genuine choices that imbue life with significance. Maybe Penguindrum will tell us differently?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 pm

EPISODE 2's opening line is "I love the word fate!" which is kind of timely. To be honest, I can't guess at what Ikuhara has planned. Unlike Enokido, who was really detailed in interviews about what he wanted to do with Star Driver, Ikuhara hasn't let anything slip out except that it has penguins in it. And it's not like he has a huge body of work behind him from which we can extrapolate either.

Anyway, this episode confirms what we've suspected: that the penguins are awesome. It also confirms another thing that people have been wondering about, which is whether SEIZON SENRYAKU is the new APPRIVOISE or ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU. The answer is yes.

Someone pointed out that there are places that aren't full of abstract people. The two such places I've noticed so far are on the train and in the classroom.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:33 am

1st Ep - LOL invisible penguins what? Attention gathered. Show has style and a strange intriguing plot so far, if not well explained.

EP2 Secret agent Penguins while discussing ethics. And there are penguin signs EVERYWHERE in the BG. Also, stalker girl makes me want to/afraid to check downstairs in my house. Still not well explained but still interested.

General notes:

I love the use of signage and graphic design techniques, like the abstract people.

I love the subway message animations in the BG.

Oddly the bathroom in Ep 2 is also devoid of abstract people. All normal feet under the doors.

ED credits are also showing red string imagery, coming from a microphone, more fate stuff.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:19 am

[SIZE="5"][color="Magenta"]Dos.[/color][/SIZE]

I, too, really like the unique aesthetic touches this show has. Particularly the bathroom sign people mech already mentioned. A very DRRR move, but I think it has meaning beyond just looking cool. That meaning is bound up in the signage/fate stuff.

Speaking of lofty things, what about all the God/god talk? In conjunction with the ideas about fate, the series is putting out the initial idea (likely to be altered by the events that happen in the show) that human beings are subject to the caprice of divine whim. Ringo seems to think that each thing that happens has a purpose that is leading up to a planned whole. In contrast, Shouma and Kanba seem to believe that, while what happens to us is "out of our hands," human destiny still rather flighty and erratic, up to a cruel divinity who enjoys games. It'll be interesting to see if these two philosophies come into open conflict.

Yamashita's face?

Penguin Mission Impossible ++

Another surprise ending. Very well done. I am still loving the show to bits.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby goldenspines » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:39 am

EPISODE 2:

This took an interesting turn. Stalker girl with a diary that maybe can make stuff happen in the future (I only say so because the incident she reads had JUST happened and there was still writing in the diary after it!); yeah, sure, I'm okay with this. It's ALWAYS the quiet ones.
Plus hey, the diary is in the OP, so it must be important. XP
Still wary of the penguins, but at least they are helpful! (sort of. >_>; ) I did about die laughing when the bug spray penguin was spraying the lost shoe. XD
blkmage (post: 1490838) wrote:Anyway, this episode confirms what we've suspected: that the penguins are awesome. It also confirms another thing that people have been wondering about, which is whether SEIZON SENRYAKU is the new APPRIVOISE or ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU. The answer is yes.
Can't say the song is as catching as Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku and each new Apprivoise was, but maybe it will grow on me over time. Lots of flare, though. Gotta give them that.
It only bugs me slightly that they use the same exact sequence but only change the dialogue in there. But, then again, it's a sense of "normal", where as if that sequence was messed up, we'd know something was wrong/changed about the character(s).

One other small thing I liked was the fact that the brothers were missed from school and called out on it by their sister. Too often people miss those small details.

SubtleDoctor wrote: Penguin Mission Impossible ++
I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought of this during that sequence. XD;
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:56 am

Also, if anyone is wondering about the origins of WELCOME TO ROCK 'N' ROLL NIGHT...

Apparently, I was too quick to cast off the whole structural similarities. Other than the obvious SURVIVAL STRATEGY scene, there's probably going to be other interesting repetition going on. I can already see the subway PSAs being the shadow girl play equivalent in this show.

Speaking of the red string of fate, I read somewhere that it's incredibly unlikely (or lucky?) that everywhere you'd need to go in Tokyo is on the same subway line. And everywhere that the family needs to go in this show is on the same line, which coincidentally is the red line in the Tokyo Metro system. Note that they live at the first station on the line, Ogikubo.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:57 am

This show continues to blow me away with how good it is.

One thing I really liked is the repetition at the beginning, down to Shouma being dropped down the platform he was standing on in the middle of the conversation. I also kind of liked that if you paid attention, in the background on the subway the screen showed a warning to not grope people before Shouma was accused of groping the one girl. In fact, a lot of the background stuff is really interesting to look at.

I was also expecting the girl to not have the Penguin Drum at first because that would be quick, and the Hat said she probably had it, so it was kind of a nice twist that she might actually have the Penguin Drum.

Loving this show to bits.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 am

blkmage (post: 1490838) wrote:It also confirms another thing that people have been wondering about, which is whether SEIZON SENRYAKU is the new APPRIVOISE or ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU. The answer is yes.
I forgot to point out how much I love that part.
blkmage (post: 1490931) wrote:WELCOME TO ROCK 'N' ROLL NIGHT.
Also, wow.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:46 pm

A little bit late but I'm in. Especially penguins.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Episode 3 is out.

If this is what we have to look forward to with each successive SURVIVAL STRATEGY, then I am sold.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:03 pm

We learned how to make the best curry. A+

And lol milk.

Actually, I'm liking the pacing of the show thus far. It's building up slowly, but keeps us just interested enough to keep watching.

[spoiler] I still think it's the pink "fate" diary, guys. [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 pm

The stalker gal is freaking scary crazy, but I'm with Goldy on what the Penguindrum is.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:38 am

This recent episode is the first not to have a really jarring twist, but that has no bearing on its quality as an episode. I feel like they avoided getting stuck in a rut by pushing Ringo into the lives of the siblings.

And yeah, that SURVIVAL STRATEGY was golden.

Do the numbers of the subway stops mean anything or is it just order of appearance in the show?

Also: Fabulous Max?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 am

The numbers of the stations correspond to their position on the line. It starts at Ogikubo (M-01), where the siblings live, and ends at Ikebukuro (M-25), which is where the aquarium that they went to in the first episode was.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:56 am

blkmage (post: 1492122) wrote:the line. ends at Ikebukuro (M-25), which is where the aquarium that they went to in the first episode was.
Fitting how that was "the end of the line" for Himari as well.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:18 pm

So I'm trying to figure out the meaning of the Subway PSA of this weeks episode, where one of the girls sprays the other down with a hose.

Otherwise, I really liked this episode despite it not being a TWIST or anything. The SURVIVAL STRATEGY is just how I hope they continue to be, and I love that they continue to drop Shouma every time.

I also kind of like that they have animated backgrounds. A lot of stuff only shows stuff happening that's important, but I like that it has the penguins doing stuff in the background. I wonder if that's supposed to indicate that they have their own agenda or something.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:25 pm

I think there's more going on. As fun and silly as the stuff seems there's a serious creepy undervibe to everything, like having the penguin logos show up everywhere. There's something menacing about the silly stuff. Or maybe I'm just paranoid after Madoka.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1492187) wrote:their own agenda

Killin' insects.
mechana2015 (post: 1492188) wrote:a serious creepy undervibe...something menacing about the silly stuff
I actually hope you are, and think you'll ultimately turn out to be, right. The OP and ED just seem like they are made for something other than pure silliness, and I think the show has already demonstrated (in ep. 1 no less) that it is much more than that.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:10 pm

I think the PSA was meant to be juxtaposed against the conversation the old guys were having about something smelling strange.

There's no question that there's something underneath all of the penguin antics and stuff. After all, Utena has its own fair share of weird stuff, like surfing elephants in its own curry episode.

Having absorbed some Japanese words over the course of anime watching, I remembered that Ringo is Japanese for apple, which is prominently displayed during the OP and ED. I was reading something about this and it turns out that Ringo uses a nonstandard spelling, 苹果, for her name. Some theorizing and thinking leads to the fact that this is also the Chinese spelling for apple, but is pronounced ping guo. Well, at least I know it's pronounced like that in Cantonese, but it's probably similar in Mandarin. But it does give us a possible link to penguins. Penguins in Japanese are just rendered in katakana, so it's pengin (ペンギン). However, Penguin Drum is rendered as pingudoramu (ピングドラム).
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Anybody else super curious as to who the other people in the OP and ED are?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews