What is considered to be a "True" Anime Otaku fan?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

What is considered to be a "True" Anime Otaku fan?

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 am

Hello my anime lovers!

Sometimes, I wonder to myself if there is more to be considered to be a true anime fan and Otaku(or a particular anime show you like)?

Does is necessary means that you have to watch anime much more than everything else, buy merchandise of it, go to cons, prefer watching subs only and such? Or just like anime by heart without any consideration?

I not sure, but people have different perspective of being a anime otaku fan, so what does it mean to you?
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:57 am

Honestly, as long as the person is watching more than the anime that's shown on Adult Swim, then I consider them a fan.

However, I don't bother labeling anyone an otaku since the term means so many different things to so many people.
Atria35

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 am

If you have to ask, you're probably over-qualified.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Falx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 am

To me an otaku is someone who spends the majority of his time, money as well as attention towards anime. Thousands of dollars a year.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:51 am

I made a thread about this word a while back.

Anyway, the definition of otaku varies from its origin, Japan, and America. In Japan, otaku is a catch all term for a person who is extremelly obsessive about their hobby. It can be anything from anime to weapondry. The word generally has a negative connotation. It implies a sort of social clummsiness and frightening obsession.

In America, the term has many different defintions, but the most general one is, "someone who has a great love for anime/manga."

It's important to note that there is a difference between the largely neutral term Otaku and the loaded negative internet meme term weeaboo. Otaku simply implies that you love anime. Weeaboo implies that you have a deep love for "GLORIOUS NIHON" and you may or may not think that anime is an accurate representation of what life is like in Japan. More importantly, you believe that because you can fit in perfectly well in Japanese society. You believe Japanese society is superior to all others and you have a desire to become Japanese yourself. However, this term is rather mean and overused. Not to mention the fact that such behavior is not limited to anime fans. It reminds me a bit of white kids who try to act like ghetto gangstas. There's even a subculture in Japan called, "Yankii." This subculture tries to imitate the styles of 80s American rock stars. They dye their hair blonde and tend to be as rude as possible in an attempt to rebel against society.

*Ahem*Atria's example is probably the best. Seeking out anime outside of adult swim.

@Falx. That's pretty much the Japanese definition of an anime otaku.
Yamamaya

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Someone who loves the following:

King of Braves Gaogaigar
Getter Robo Armageddon
Gundam X

*EDIT derp derp
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Falx (post: 1487800) wrote:To me an otaku is someone who spends the majority of his time, money as well as attention towards anime. Thousands of dollars a year.

That pretty much defines it. I love anime and manga, but I'm not one to spend THAT MUCH money on it O.O

I think of "otaku" as a major fan of anime, but I've noticed the term a lot of times refers to not major fans, but OBSESSIVE fans.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Yahhh I just never use this term in public XD. It's just too loaded. But I would agree that an "Otaku" here in America is probably someone who is like DEVOTED to anime/manga more than anything else. Perhaps even to the point of ignoring everything else to watch/read it. ANd perhaps even elevating anime/manga to the best genre/style ever...even when all genres have their faults including anime XD.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Wallachia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:23 pm

I think most people would assume an otaku is someone who's obsessed with anime and manga. Obviously not so much in Japan since... Well, look at Yamamaya's explanation.

In our English speaking countries anyone who has heard of the word probably heard about it in relation with anime. Just like how we refer to Japanese cartoons as anime, but the Japanese refer to all animation regardless of origin as anime.

I think it's subjective. If somebody wanted to call him or herself a fan or otaku of anime, that works regardless of their experience with it so long as they like what they've seen, read, or bought. Other, "fans" might judge them based on how much they really know, but in the end it doesn't really matter because that person likes the subject in question a lot and will probably care to learn more and more about it down the road just like everyone else.

The term is also very different to people who don't watch anime. Some people might assume a fan of anime likes 2D women with big eyes being held by lots of tentacles, or even over-the-top ninja gorefests. Some could fail to realize any single fan could actually belong to a denomination of people who like intellectual subject matter. Stuff that takes a more mature approach to its representation and doesn't exist solely to please the viewer with eye-candy, but provoke meaningful thought.

I don't feel very obsessive. I want to say I like all media equally, but the fact remains that I've probably let my attention fall upon anime more often than not... If I could be called an otaku, I wouldn't want to be labeled as one despite the fact that it's probably what most people aware of my interests but not too knowledgeable on the matter would think.

Wallachia

Postby blkmage » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:41 pm

blkmage

Postby Agloval » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Wallachia (post: 1487848) wrote:In our English speaking countries anyone who has heard of the word probably heard about it in relation with anime.
I've noticed a couple of wider, looser uses recently, both (as far as I can see) trying to use the concept to explain or express something else: here and here. I'm not saying anything about how correct or otherwise either use of the word is -- it's a word I try to avoid having opinions about -- just that it's interesting to see it being used this way. The second article doesn't mention anime at all though (hah!) I note that the first commenter is someone rushing in to address the use of 'otaku' and not the article.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 pm

[quote="blkmage (post: 1487851)"][url=http://jphinano.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/on-the-historical-context-and-socioeconomic-underpinings-of-otaku-in-japan/]"on the historical context and socioeconomic underpinings of “otakuâ€
Yamamaya

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews