The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby Lynna » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:00 pm

So...I just started watching a few episodes today. I have to admit, I just can't resist the plot, it's pulled me in! I'm on episode 3
I have to admit...Haruhi being god...that's weird...And I did wonder a few times if I should be watching a show that says such a ridiculous thing...but, somehow, the creativity of it just seemed to blow me away.
One thing that really does disturb me is the way Haruhi treats Mikuru. It's just plain mean, if not abusive >.< does stuff like that keep going through the whole show?
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:15 pm

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Lynna » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1486548) wrote:This might help!

Ah, yes, I noticed that ^_^ I guess I can deal with that...Poor Mikuru!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
Lynna

Postby ADXC » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Wow, never thought I'd see another Haruhi thread. XD I mean the last one I was like a few years ago.

Anyway, the anime is good. I need to see the second season though.
ADXC

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 pm

I haven't seen the Japanese, but do they use the word kami? Because that just means "diety", or something of intense power. From what I have seen of the show so far, Haruhi is more like [spoiler]Yuki Nagato[/spoiler] and can alter data flow. But I haven't finished yet...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Wallachia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:32 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1486559) wrote:Haruhi is more like [spoiler]Yuki Nagato[/spoiler] and can alter data flow.

This.

From what I've gathered, every character has their own belief about Haruhi and whether you want to believe one or the other or none at all is your choice.

Though I personally believe... (Potentially MAJOR spoilers)[spoiler]...that Kyon is the one with the intense, world changing powers, and since he specifically stated he wanted to be a side-character since the beginning then that means Haruhi is a proxy of sorts for himself.[/spoiler]

Wallachia

Postby Maokun » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 am

Though I personally believe... (Potentially MAJOR spoilers)[spoiler]...that Kyon is the one with the intense, world changing powers, and since he specifically stated he wanted to be a side-character since the beginning then that means Haruhi is a proxy of sorts for himself.[/spoiler]

Wow, that's very similar to my own theory.

Anyhow, yeah, Koizumi is the only one that believes that Haruhi is God. Nagato finds her interesting and potentially dangerous, but ultimately inconsequential and Asahina won't really say what her party believes because it's "confidential."

I was really intrigued by how the end of the second season hinted that this difference of beliefs may generate animosity between the protagonists... Any news on a third season now that a new novel has finally seen the light?
Maokun

Postby Falx » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:36 am

Well judging from the extremely negative reaction due to the creative [spoiler]stupid[/spoiler] spin the second season took... a third season is not as likely as you think.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:14 am

I personally only found it 'meh'. It was interesting, and had some good scenes, but Haruhi's obnoxious personality and the utter helplessness Mikuru displayed really turned me off the series.
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:13 am

I quite love this series and have even kept up with the light novels. I just haven't seen the Disappearance film yet. Anyway, like everyone else said, the whole god thing is just Koizumi's point of view and the Mikuru abuse lessens as time goes on. Not much about this series bothers me because I just see it as a parody of so many anime/fantasy/sci-fi tropes (which it is) so I can't take it too seriously even though there's a very intriguing serious plot behind it all. The only problem with that, however, is that said plot doesn't get much development after the first season/book. In terms of the books, Disappearance seems to be a game-changer, but I'm only three pages into Rage so we'll see how that goes.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby TWWK » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 am

I'm in that rapidly-becoming-uncool group of people that still considers this series to be absolute genius. I even (kinda) enjoyed Endless Eight.

The Disappearance film is amazing - it was originally announced to be released in Spring, but Bandai recently announced that it's getting a release later this year (unless there's a better update?).
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Falx » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:18 am

Yeah the Disappearance movie isn't just a good anime movie, it's a brilliant movie period. Some of the best acting I've ever heard and it looks utterly amazing.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:16 am

I think a third season is very likely, considering the second season still sold pretty well and the movie did amazingly well. Also, there are no more stories like Endless Eight to pull shenanigans with anymore.

Haruhi's story is interesting in that it's a pretty equal mix of various short stories and serious business plot. While it's the first season of the anime that captured my attention, I think it's a lot of the later volumes of the light novels that have kept me around. I like the short stories in the later volumes and I think the storyline that opens up with Disappearance is excellent.
blkmage

Postby Esoteric » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Wallachia wrote:
[spoiler]
...that Kyon is the one with the intense, world changing powers, and since he specifically stated he wanted to be a side-character since the beginning then that means Haruhi is a proxy of sorts for himself.[/spoiler]
That's what I think too. Not sure if we'll ever find out but it would be the perfect twist.
Esoteric

Postby Lynna » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am

By the way, what's Koizumi? I think they said something like "an Esperg" what's that? At first I thought they were saying "aspergers" as in "Aspergers Syndrome" but I thought "there's no way that's what they're saying XD
Lynna

Postby TWWK » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:59 am

Lynna (post: 1486868) wrote:By the way, what's Koizumi? I think they said something like "an Esperg" what's that? At first I thought they were saying "aspergers" as in "Aspergers Syndrome" but I thought "there's no way that's what they're saying XD

Hehe, not quite. Koizumi is an esper, an individual with paranormal abilities (which he uses in closed spaces).
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:33 pm

So how would things go if Koizumi was claughstraphobic? XP

Anywas, Haruhi has at least one real-life applicable thought: Next time you babysit, you can be thankful that your charge isn't capable of 'auto-evolution'! XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Rusty Claymore (post: 1487002) wrote:So how would things go if Koizumi was claughstraphobic? XP

Well, its still kinda wide-open closed space...sorta.

In any case, I loved Haruhi Suzumiya, even the Endless Eight despite nearly making my head explode, which was the intention of the creator I'm guessing. In any case, Dissappearance was perhaps one of the best movies off an anime series I've seen. Definately check it out whenyou are done with the seasons.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Maokun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 pm

I personally didn't dislike Endless Eight too much and I was greatly amused by the trolling effect it had on the fans. I just wish every episode had a bit more of payoff at the end, showing an increasing determination on Kyon to stop the loop, instead being a defeatist all but the last time.
Maokun

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 pm

I LOVE Haruhi! It's one of my favorite animes! I really like the characters because they have unique personalities and traits(Although I disagree that they portray Haruhi as a "god"). It's pretty interesting and funny. I got introduced to this since some years ago because of Lucky Star and the Hare Hare Yukai dance trend.

The first season was really good, but the second one was a disappointment for me. I just dropped it when the repeated the same scene the second time until it changed to the next different episode.

But the spin off series, Haruhi chan and Nyron is really cute! At least is more better and watchable than the second season.

I didn't see the movie, Disappearance of Haruhi, but I want to see it soon as I can.

Overall, I love this anime, it's one of my top favorite series.
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby crazypackersfan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 pm

I hope they animate the one short story which has something to do with American football. I'd love for a third season. I have so much Haruhi merchandise, I'm addicted to buying Haruhi stuff at conventions.
Anime Bowl (my blog) - the most unusual anime blog possible
crazypackersfan

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:08 am

I loved Harushi <3 It's also one of my favorites <333 All the characters have their own charms ^^

@Wallachia: Ah-hah! I'm not the only one who thinks something like that :O Maybe, not that exactly, but close enough xD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Sheol777 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:34 am

Haruhi to me is like a deconstruction of moé. It is pretty well written....that is when the creators are not trolling the fans.

Disappearance of Haruhi was amazing. I am sorry I waited so long to watch it. However you should never watch it before seeing the complete series to this point.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Wolf-man » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:53 pm

This was a fun show! If anyone who likes the show hasn't seen the movie then you need to watch it. The movie was amazing and did a great job of capturing the heart of the series as well as expanding on things that the series didn't.
Wolf-man

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews