Underrated Anime?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Underrated Anime?

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:51 pm

I've watched some really good anime that really need more attention and praise. But because they are so unheard of and overshadowed by the more overrated anime, they tend to be left in the shadows.

Anyway, what anime do you think is way too underrated and needs more attention? Mine would be Brigadoon: Melan and Marin, as well as Welcome to the NHK. Those are only two of many, however.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Bakemonogatari is hugely popular. I can't even tell you how large the fanbase is.

For me, it's Real Drive- sci-fi along the lines of Ghost in the Shell, but explores the more psychological/personal reasons behind having a computerized brain and body. It also has some strong symbolism with the ocean, but it's not uber-environmentalist.

Ginban Kaleidoscope - a girl wakes up one morning to find herself hosting the ghost of a boy pilot, who can't enter heaven until he helps her after a certain number of days. They learn to live together, and it ends up being so heartbreaking. It's an older series, and because of that is so underwatched.
Atria35

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Giant Robo. Definitely Giant Robo.
Ante Bellum

Postby Darth_Kirby » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Natsume Yuujin Chou I think this is the best mix of supernatural and slice of life that I've ever read or watched. But not too many people know about it. That I know of at least.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby blkmage » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah, I love it, but Bakemonogatari was like the biggest thing in 2009 and still holds the record for best selling TV anime (at least until the rest of Madoka is released).

Now, Manabi Straight, there's a show that no one's watched. It's pretty well loved by the few people who bothered to watch it and I'm one of them. I think it's a fantastic show and I have no problem including it with the likes of Aria or HidaSketch. Too bad no one bought it.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1483506) wrote:Giant Robo. Definitely Giant Robo.
Someday we will attain the Beautiful Night. Someday...

As for overrated stuff, I'm pretty sure there isn't a huge fanbase for Kamichu!.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Atria35 (post: 1483505) wrote:Bakemonogatari is hugely popular. I can't even tell you how large the fanbase is.

That was actually an error I put in. Originally I was going to put Welcome to the NHK, but my mind was thinking of episode 6 of Bakemonogatari and I accidently put it down. Whoops!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Dennou Coil should be a required mention in all of these lists.
Miyazaki-style adventure + Ghost in the Shell-esque science fiction.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Sapphire225 (post: 1483525) wrote:That was actually an error I put in. Originally I was going to put Welcome to the NHK, but my midn was thinking of episode 6 of Bakemonogatari and I accidently put it down. Whoops!

xD

Yeah, I've heard that Welcome to the NHK is really good. And probably underwatched. I have the anime on my shelf- haven't seen it yet!
Atria35

Postby Mouse2010 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Atria35 (post: 1483533) wrote:xD

Yeah, I've heard that Welcome to the NHK is really good. And probably underwatched. I have the anime on my shelf- haven't seen it yet!

You should! It starts off seeming like just an ecchi comedy about a couple of geeks, and then it gets increasingly serious.

Spoiler just in case]It ends up being an emotionally-draining, heart-wrenching anime (not in a bad way), but I would never in a million years have guessed that from the first few episodes. [/spoiler]
In fact, I was so bothered by all the sexual humor in the first few episodes that I might have quit watching if my husband hadn't liked it so much. This probably doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but it really is a good series, and I was very glad that I gave it a chance. I wonder, though, if some viewers who would otherwise like it give it a pass because of the type of humor it employs. That might explain why it doesn't get all the love it deserves.
Mouse2010

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

^ Well, I will for sure be getting around to it this summer, then! I've heard it's fabulous, and ecchi humor doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. I actually started reading the manga, too. I have the first 3 volumes.
Atria35

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:33 am

Not sure how popular Planetes is / was, but I thought it was a series well worth watching.
Sammy Boy

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:16 am

Fantastic Children.

An amazing sci-fi story/psychological thriller that has one of the most satisfying and complete endings to a TV series. And, it's squeaky clean to boot! People are put off by the art, the bad English dub and the slowish start (I didn't think it was slow, this is what I hear), but the series deserves WAY more attention and praise.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Maokun » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:02 am

Saber Marionette J If you can tolerate the character design (which ends becoming an acquired taste) and the slightly absurd setting and first arcs, suddenly you'll realize that you are being presented with a very good sci-fi story with one of the best endings for an anime.

Those Who Hunt Elves I've seen several good comedy anime series and none has made me laugh as hard or left me with so many memorable moments to recall. Even with the main premise of the series being quite tasteless and the overarching plot nigh nonexistent, the ideas that drive each episodic iteration are extremely creative and original.
Maokun

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 am

Sammy Boy (post: 1483590) wrote:Not sure how popular Planetes is / was, but I thought it was a series well worth watching.

I've heard about Planetes and that it is a good unique anime. I have yet to watch it however. I'l make it a point to do so in the future hopefully.

Maokun (post: 1483637) wrote:Saber Marionette J If you can tolerate the character design (which ends becoming an acquired taste) and the slightly absurd setting and first arcs, suddenly you'll realize that you are being presented with a very good sci-fi story with one of the best endings for an anime.

Those Who Hunt Elves I've seen several good comedy anime series and none has made me laugh as hard or left me with so many memorable moments to recall. Even with the main premise of the series being quite tasteless and the overarching plot nigh nonexistent, the ideas that drive each episodic iteration are extremely creative and original.

I have actually heard and watched a little of both. I haven't finished neither because of the lack of time.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1483598) wrote:Fantastic Children.

An amazing sci-fi story/psychological thriller that has one of the most satisfying and complete endings to a TV series. And, it's squeaky clean to boot! People are put off by the art, the bad English dub and the slowish start (I didn't think it was slow, this is what I hear), but the series deserves WAY more attention and praise.

Definately will give it a shot one day, I've only heard the title but nothing else.

Another underrated anime I need to mention would be The Big O, which I remember watching on Toonami and watched some when I came back to it. It like a mix between Batman and Mecha. To call it underrated may be a stretch as it isn't as underrated as most anime]Now and Here, Here and There[/B] definately needs more attention.

Sapphire225

Postby Falx » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:49 am

Not many people know about Sketchbook ~Full Colours~

If you like the slice-of-life genre, this is an absolute must. It has probably the best example of the right way to develop a character I've ever seen. It's not a comedy riot like some shows, but if you watch this after a rough day it's like drinking a cup of warm tea and relaxing in a hot bath for your soul.

Also Ghost Hound is pretty good and is genuinely creepy with some of the best foley I've ever heard.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MrKrillz0r » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 am

I don't know how popular "Nabari no ou" is, but I loved it and yet I don't find a lot of people who have seen it.
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Darth_Kirby » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm

MrKrillz0r (post: 1483844) wrote:I don't know how popular "Nabari no ou" is, but I loved it and yet I don't find a lot of people who have seen it.

I've seen that one! :) It wasn't one of my favorites, but I did like it.
Join the Darth side... No really! Join! The pension plan is great and they match all your 401K's!! XD

[color="Cyan"]True freedom is the ability to do what you know is right without fear of persecution.[/color]

[color="Lime"]I finally understand that justice is not born out of the desire for revenge or hatred, but it is born out of love for one’s fellow man.[/color]

Darth_Kirby (post: 1481540) wrote:Ah, the beast of terminology... how many more arguments will you start... XP
Darth_Kirby

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:34 pm

I never turn down a chance to tell people that have never seen Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars that they're missing out. Same goes for Kino's Journey (though, ironically, that DOES seem to have a sizable audience among People Who Don't Usually Watch Anime)

Sapphire225 (post: 1483638) wrote:Now and Here, Here and There definately needs more attention.

It also needs more people with the emotional fortitude to endure beyond the first couple of episodes (I do agree with you though)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm

MrKrillz0r (post: 1483844) wrote:I don't know how popular "Nabari no ou" is, but I loved it and yet I don't find a lot of people who have seen it.

Saw the first half of it, and really enjoyed it! I'm buying up the manga at the moment.

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1483964) wrote:It also needs more people with the emotional fortitude to endure beyond the first couple of episodes (I do agree with you though)

Emotional fortitude or emotional dullness. It didn't hit me as hard as I thought it should- I've cried harder at other anime (Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, for instance)
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Anime I'm sure most of you have never watched, but should:
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kurau Phantom Memory--now this one definitely needs more love!
Geneshaft
Silent Mobius
anything in the Tenchi Muyo franchise
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Seemingly no one has ever heard or seen the best shoujo anime ever (and one of the very few I'll willingly watch): Lovely Complex. It's hilarious, realistic despite all its exaggeration, and the romance is one of the most refreshing ones I've ever seen, and I'm pretty hard to please XD
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:48 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1484007) wrote:Seemingly no one has ever heard or seen the best shoujo anime ever (and one of the very few I'll willingly watch): Lovely Complex. It's hilarious, realistic despite all its exaggeration, and the romance is one of the most refreshing ones I've ever seen, and I'm pretty hard to please XD

Really? It's super-popular (though perhaps not on this site!) that I didn't bother putting it! Loved it, BTW.
Atria35

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:46 am

Atria35 (post: 1483966) wrote:Emotional fortitude or emotional dullness. It didn't hit me as hard as I thought it should- I've cried harder at other anime (Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, for instance)

Oh yeah, as a whole there's far more depressing things out there. the later two-thirds are (in my opinion) relatively average on the depressing scale. It was just those first few that hit like a ton of bricks.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Maokun » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:05 pm

rocklobster (post: 1483975) wrote:Anime I'm sure most of you have never watched, but should:
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kurau Phantom Memory--now this one definitely needs more love!
Geneshaft
Silent Mobius
anything in the Tenchi Muyo franchise

I watched Kurau and finished it, but mostly on pure stubbornness (I really dislike getting invested into something and then drop it, never knowing what happened next.) It's not a bad series, it has an interesting premise, good character development and a well-constructed, coherent sci-fi setting. And yet... I found it so terribly dull! The pacing is somewhat awful, the conflict is uninteresting, the character design is ultra-bland, the main character sounds and acts as though she was bored out of her mind... I never could shake the feeling that the whole thing was as subdued and dull as the palette it was painted with. (do a quick Google image check for "Kurau" and you'll see what I mean.)

I watched one ep of Geneshaft and found it infinitely average. Seemed not bad, but like I could definitely do something better with my anime watching time.

I've heard Silent Moebius has a very interesting story, but I seriously couldn't stomach the horrible character design and animation, coupled with a cringe-worthy dub. I dropped it after several episodes once I noticed I hardly had paid attention to the plot because too busy staring in horrified disbelief the ghastly take on the most basic features of human anatomy.
Maokun

Postby Gojira » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Gunslinger Girls and Devilman have gone unnoticed, at least in the States.
Gojira

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Gojira (post: 1484962) wrote:Gunslinger Girls

Totally not with you on this one. Very big in the States.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Definitely Gaogaigar
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Agloval » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:14 pm

This thread seems to be more about overlooked or obscure anime than underrated anime :)

Most titles I can think of off-hand are really in the justifiably overlooked category -- for example, Sun's Fang Dougram is really good & satisfying, but you have to already be a fan of cheaply-animated early 80s real robot shows with lots of episodes to actually watch it. And if you're that fan, you probably already hang around the right places and know about it already.

I suppose I think Flag and The Skull Man would probably entertain some anime fans who've never heard of them.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Sapphire225 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:30 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1485142) wrote:Image

Definitely Gaogaigar

I watched GaoGaiGar FINAL but never the main series because I couldn't find one either subbed or dubbed.

Sapphire225

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews