Trigun: Badlands Rumble

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Postby rocklobster » Thu May 05, 2011 1:58 pm

It's coming to theatres this summer! WOO-HOO!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 05, 2011 2:01 pm

I want to see it soooo bad!

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu May 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Dear Japan,

Thank you for the Trigun film.

But why the heck did it take you over a decade to make this happen? I understand that neither the manga nor the anime were all that popular in Japan; however, surely a glance at American sales figures would prompt someone (in, say, 2002) to say, "Hey, I know we don't normally make stuff just to sell in north America, but making a follow-up to Trigun would make us a lot of money."

Today, in 2011, many anime fans are too young to remember Trigun's run on adult swim, let alone it's initial DVD run. Also, older properties don't tend to generate as much coin here as shiny newness. You know this. It took you long enough to make a Bebop follow-up, but the interval between Trigun's TV series and this film is unacceptably long. You will not make nearly as much money from this as you should, and it is your own fault.

Having said all that, I am super-excited and plan on seeing this as soon as it comes out.

Sincerely,
Crotchety, ungrateful older anime fan

P.S. ...Come on!
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mechana2015 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Actually when this ran at AX last year it filled the entire viewing room (and then some) despite being announced less than 24 hours before, and apparently filled a video room at Sakura Con without even having subtitles. Pretty awesome, and having seen it, totally worth it. The fanbase is definitely still out there.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Either the first or second piece of anime news I've been excited for in a while (the first (or second) being the announcement regarding a new anime for Rurouni Kenshin). XD Either way, I will totally be watching this as soon as I find a way. XD It'll probably be a limited release, right? Has there been any news on that yet? I know most anime don't get a wide release, but there have been a few exceptions, I think. I'm pretty sure the Naruto movie got a showing in my town, so I wonder if they'll do the same for Trigun. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1476929) wrote:(the first (or second) being the announcement regarding a new anime for Rurouni Kenshin).

I totally agree! XD I'm really excited about both of these... actually, they are both my favorite mangas ever and this is so awesome!!! XD
But yeah, do we have any idea where the movie would be showing? Honestly I think I'm in such a part of the country that I may have to go quite a ways to see it. But Vash is worth it! XD

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu May 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm excited but slightly disappointed that the only recurring voice actor they have is Johnny Yong Bosche (Although, honestly if they did this without him it would be a travesty)

But all new VAs for Millie, Meryl and Wolfwood as it will be a Funi dub.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Maokun » Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 am

Fingertips-tapping excellent news.
Maokun

Postby TopazRaven » Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am

A Trigun movie!? I didn't even know about this! Trigun was literally like my first real anime. I used to stay up late and watch it on Adult Swim when I was a teenager. :D
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby ABlipinTime » Sun May 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Hm... Looks interesting.
I have to wonder how well they preserved the original characters. It may shape my outlook, since I liked the original so much.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:51 am

I guess I need to say this a bit louder. :P

I HAVE ALREADY SEEN IT. IT IS PRETTY GOOD.

*turns off bullhorn*

More seriously, they did preserve the characters well, and the movie plays like an hour an a half long TV show episode, with much higher animation quality. I would compare it favorably with the Cowboy Bebop movie, which I actually haven't ever seen on as big a screen as I saw this on. It's well handled and great fun, and doesn't mess with the continuity of the original anime. It's not a sequel, but a mid-quel, a story that just wasn't told in the original story and happens between him meeting Wolfwood and the end of the show. Milly and Meryl show up as well, and the tone is very much like the first couple episodes, combining gunplay and Vash being a loveable doofus.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Wallachia » Mon May 09, 2011 3:10 pm

I watched the movie with my friend, and we had a blast.

Definitely a must-see for fans of the series.

Wallachia

Postby Nekomimi » Thu May 19, 2011 2:23 am

Must... watch... this...
Nekomimi

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu May 19, 2011 7:14 pm

just dropping this in here: someone posted it on youtube. not sure if the vid has been taken down or not yet.
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Popyman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:59 pm

I was so excited to see this...until I found out the theater near me was only showing the subbed version. :( If I wanted to watch it in Japanese I would have done it AGES ago. Trigun just wouldn't be the same without JYB as Vash.

I've got the Blu-Ray preordered, am so psyched to FINALLY see it!
Popyman

Postby TWWK » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:21 pm

I was blessed (<-- yes, I feel this way about getting this particular DVD) to get a review copy and I really enjoyed the film. It's soooo Trigun, which is all I really wanted out of it. Plus, the extras in the DVD set are quite awesome.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Popyman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm

That's awesome, you ARE blessed to get it early! How was the dub? Was the new cast as good, worse, or better than the originals?
Popyman

Postby Zukato » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Started watching it online now. I can give one word which sums it up, and it is this: refreshing.
Zukato

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Bought the DVD around midnight Tuesday morning.
Watched it Tuesday night.
Was blown away by the action scenes, the characters are so much fun!

My only disappointment was the DVD specials only had Japanese cast interviews and Japanese premiers and AX 09 footage... I would have loved to read how Johnny felt about reprising his role as Vash and the others as they tried to fill such establish characters and voices.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Popyman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 am

Haven't got mine. :( Should be here later today or for sure tomorrow! I AM EXCITE.
Popyman

Postby TWWK » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 am

ChristianKitsune (post: 1507208) wrote:Bought the DVD around midnight Tuesday morning.
Watched it Tuesday night.
Was blown away by the action scenes, the characters are so much fun!

My only disappointment was the DVD specials only had Japanese cast interviews and Japanese premiers and AX 09 footage... I would have loved to read how Johnny felt about reprising his role as Vash and the others as they tried to fill such establish characters and voices.

The extras were awesome! The best I've seen so far in an anime DVD!

The extras were pretty thorough. Plus, the cast interviews were really cool - it was neat to see Maaya Sakamoto talk about her role and even better were the cast interviews - Vash's VA was hilarious and Wolfwood's was such a weird guy. It was a lot more fun than similar cast interviews in other shows/movies (ex. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya).

Popyman (post: 1506097) wrote:That's awesome, you ARE blessed to get it early! How was the dub? Was the new cast as good, worse, or better than the originals?

Honestly, I don't remember the English VAs for the series too well, except for Johnny Yong Bosch and Dorothy Elias-Fahn; Bosch is of course back as Vash. Elias-Fahn was replaced by Luci Christian for Meryl's role - I'm a big fan of Christian, so the change didn't bother me.

Regardless, I watched the movie mostly with the Japanese VAs.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 am

I ordered the movie, but it'll take a month to get here. Hopefully worth waiting for, though. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Popyman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:10 pm

IT CAME!! I'm going to watch it tonight with my mom and sister, we're going to make a little party out of it. :D
Popyman

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm

[quote="TWWK (post: 1507245)"]The extras were awesome! The best I've seen so far in an anime DVD!

The extras were pretty thorough. Plus, the cast interviews were really cool - it was neat to see Maaya Sakamoto talk about her role and even better were the cast interviews - Vash's VA was hilarious and Wolfwood's was such a weird guy. It was a lot more fun than similar cast interviews in other shows/movies (ex. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya).

Honestly, I don't remember the English VAs for the series too well, except for Johnny Yong Bosch and Dorothy Elias-Fahn]

See, that's the problem, I don't care about the Japanese version XD. It's not what I grew up with. :P Its great for those of you who adore Japanese versions and more power to you. It just would have been nice for those of us who love the dub. XD;
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:11 pm

So, the Trigun: Badlands Rumble sub:

Watched it and loved it! :thumb::thumb:

What more can I say? :)

(...Well, just a little, actually; but you get my point. ;):grin:)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Okay, it is a month later and I watched the movie. I enjoyed it a great deal, liked the action sequences and plot a lot. It has the basic Trigun theme of idealism vs. cynicism and it worked very well, but I felt slightly underwhelmed. In the end it just kind-of feels like an extended episode while I was just hoping for something a little bit more.

[spoiler]Also, the reveal regarding Gasback being Amelia's father - it could have been developed better and should have had more weight to it (I also saw it coming which did not help). Also, Meryl and Millie don't do much in the second half of the film which is also disappointing.[/spoiler]

Still, I'm overall pleased with it. I just hope they make another one one of these days.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:54 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1511522) wrote:Okay, it is a month later and I watched the movie. I enjoyed it a great deal, liked the action sequences and plot a lot. It has the basic Trigun theme of idealism vs. cynicism and it worked very well, but I felt slightly underwhelmed. In the end it just kind-of feels like an extended episode while I was just hoping for something a little bit more.

[spoiler]Also, the reveal regarding Gasback being Amelia's father - it could have been developed better and should have had more weight to it (I also saw it coming which did not help). Also, Meryl and Millie don't do much in the second half of the film which is also disappointing.[/spoiler]

Still, I'm overall pleased with it. I just hope they make another one one of these days.

It was an extended episode it seems. Put yourself in the shoes of the writer: what's there to write about? Trigun was a complete story in itself, not designed for any kind of sequel or movie, so what they did was put together something like a generic, extended episode. But yeah, I have the same mixed feelings as you do.
ABlipinTime

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews