Aiming for the [Summer 2011] Koshien anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 am

Sacred Seven 3 featured some interesting directing of the early action scenes. I really like the way they animated large moving objects flying towards, away from or around stationary ones. Pretty decent episode overall as well, getting to meet the evil winged guy and a couple of good action set pieces.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:55 am

So I think everyone's got their streaming shows down by now.

Crunchyroll
Kamisama Dolls
Yuruyuri
Natsume Yuujinchou
Usagi Drop
Nekogami Yaoyorozu
R-15
Sacred Seven
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi
The Mystic Archives of Dantalian
Twin Angel
No. 6
Morita-san wa Mukuchi
The iDOLM@STER

Nico Nico Douga
Uta no Prince-sama
Twin Angel
Blood-C
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi
The Mystic Archives of Dantalian
R-15

The Anime Network
Ro-Kyu-Bu
La croisée dans un labyrinthe étranger
Kamisama no Memo-chou

Funimation
[S]nope.avi[/S] Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni

A note: Crunchyroll streams shows for paying members and allows free users to watch after one week. Nico Nico Douga streams shows for everyone but only allows premium members to watch an episode after one week. Use this knowledge to your advantage.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Didn't Funimation get Baka and Test Season 2? I think that's right.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Did they? I don't remember hearing anything but it would make sense.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Yeah I checked. They got it. That is their one and only new Summer Simulcast (Toriko and of course One Piece are still going too). Too bad, b/c I kinda liked the nope.avi.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Midori » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:27 pm

So far I've watched:

Kamisama no memochou - 3
Mawaru Penguindrum - 2
Sacred Seven - 2
Ikoku Meiro no Crosiée - 2
Kamisama Dolls - 1
No. 6 - 1

Looks like my primary anime this season is going to be KamiMemo. I have been and am going to be pretty busy this season so I only have time to steadily watch one series. Second place would be Penguins. Third place Crosiée.
Midori

Postby Cadence » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm

So...I ended up watching a lot more than I anticipated...but most of it hasn't made the best impression.

Kamisama Dolls was pretty underwhelming, though I've only made it through one episode in its entirety so far...I made an attempt to watch episode two twice and lost interest after about five minutes both times, so I'll probably be dropping this one...unless it gets better?

I'm afraid I fell asleep during Dantalion. :p I guess the part I was awake for was...okay? Maybe I will give it another chance...someday.

No.6 is okay, but I've read way too many dystopian novels of late...it feels kind of old. But I've heard really good things about the novels (though, I must admit, my source is a bunch of fujoshi), so I will probably keep watching this one. Also, my heart only has room for one feminine, blue-haired, and somewhat rude escapee called Nezumi...and that spot was filled long ago by the one from Amatsuki. =)

Usagi Drop is really, really good. I'm still pretty bitter over the manga, but I will be watching the anime [SPOILER]at least until the time skip...if that even happens.[/SPOILER]
Morita-san was...ok, I guess. I watched it for Hanazawa Kana as the awkwardly/ridiculously quiet girl similar to another I quite love. Didn't have any expectations going in, so it didn't disappoint, but it didn't impress at all either.

Natsume Yuujinchou San is more Natsume, so I love it. I was kind of disappointed when I realized that they were already doing anime original stories with the second episode but it turned out to be quite good...though if that was a lame apology for not animating the Tanuma arc, I will be annoyed.

I'll probably end up watching dat France one, too, as soon as they start simulcasting it...I've seen a lot of people comparing it to Aria, so that has captured my attention.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Natsume 3 is this pleasant surprise every week I remember to watch it. I almost always forget but then I see something and watch it and love it.

Also, I think the biggest problem with Kamisama Dolls is that they're focusing on the boring college student guy instead of the girl with the awesome power who has the potential to be really awesome.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Mouse2010 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:01 am

I just tried the first episode of Dantalian. Huh. I don't know. The art style was interesting. The story didn't grab me. I think I'm going to find the character of Dalian to be really annoying, too.

On the other hand . . . it's about books! And it has an Edwardian-esque setting! I liked the music, too. The whole thing ought to be wonderful. I'm sad that it isn't. Then again, I did watch only one episode.
Mouse2010

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 am

LOLOLOL

It's been mentioned that Shaft doesn't have any shows this season. Presumably, this is because they're working on the Negima movie. Shaft is also notorious for putting animation production off to the last minute, which consistently manifests itself in tenth episode disasters. And apparently, things aren't going to change even when they're working on theatrical productions. Two months, LOLOLOLOL.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Is the Usagi Drop manga as good as the anime?

Because this anime is absolutely fantastic.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1495834) wrote:Is the Usagi Drop manga as good as the anime?

Because this anime is absolutely fantastic.

I think so. I love them both.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Because I'm sure it'll come up, I have read it to the end and I still really like it. Yeah, that's right.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm

blkmage (post: 1495873) wrote:Usagi Drop...the end

:grin:
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:49 pm

I know people don't like the end, but the news exploded when the final two volumes weren't translated yet, so there was a lot of contextual information missing that I think changes things a bit. I have a post ready on my blog for later next week that'll get into my understanding of it so idk if I want to repeat that here.

Anyhow, since this is an anime thread, I will say that the length of the season means that it will reach at most halfway through the manga.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:37 am

Sacred Seven Episode 6

Exactly what I'd expect to find in an underground, candlelit labyrinth base: an electrically powered fridge. You'd think someone at Sunrise staff would realize that this fails the eye test. I know there are all kinds of in-universe reasons that one can throw out there to justify this, but it really is an odd design choice. Admit it: you did a double take too.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Cadence » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:29 pm

So I keep hearing from those who have read the No. 6 novels that "it gets better" but as of episode 6 it hasn't improved at all, so I am considering dropping it. The only reason I am still sticking with it now is because every time Nezumi opens his mouth I burst into a fit of giggles. I haven't heard a performance this hammy since Fukuyama Jun's Lelouch.

Those who aren't watching Usagi Drop because of rumors they've heard about the manga are missing out. I think I've made my feelings about the manga clear, but in all honesty my less-than-favorable opinion of it wasn't entirely due to the ending - I no longer liked or cared about the story after volume 4. But, as blkmage mentioned, it is unlikely that the anime will get that far. The first four volumes of the manga are among my very favorite volumes of any manga I've ever read, and this anime adaption has been better than I ever hoped it would be. I honestly don't think there are many things out there that are better than Usagi Drop. Highly, highly recommended.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:38 pm

That's good to know, because I dropped it at 5.

Sacred Seven is just so full of shenanigans that I don't really notice stuff like that. That's in contrast to something like Croisée where they try really hard at authenticity, but certain elements end up sticking out.

Also, I posted about Usagi Drop's ending, if you were still waiting for that.

Speaking of shenanigans, the writing in KamiMemo continues to exasperate me, while I feel like Dantalian got better once Ono Daisuke stopped reading a book every episode.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:34 pm

No. 6 ep. 5 was rather...creepy.
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:51 am

There is a Tsukihime anime and it is awesome. It is also called Carnival Phantasm and if you are a Type-Moon fan, it is fantastic. There are going to be two more volumes, BUT, you should watch the first volume as soon as possible, because they are taking a poll to decide which choice is made for volume 2, which is presented in episode 4. You'll need a twitter account, details here.
blkmage

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews