New Rurouni Kenshin

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

New Rurouni Kenshin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Shao Feng-Li

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 pm

There's been talk about it going on here.
blkmage

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Oh. Show's how much I pay attention XD Thanks!
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Wow! I'm excited now! I really really hope they do this one right! I mean seriously. Ruruni Kenshin is my favorite all time manga and I hated what they did with the last season of the last anime as well as the whole existence of the movies and OVAs. Never should have happened! Oh please keep faithful to the manga!

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:15 am

I'm excited, but at the same time concerned.
I really hope they have a great voice cast, I know without a doubt they'll do this well according to the manga. It's probably why they're doing it over in the first place.
But I realllllyy hope the voice cast is just as good. Or else I will be very disappointed.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:59 am

I always thought the original dub had a lot of room for improvement anyway. I hope it'll be good.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:08 am

Really? I always thought the English VAs did a great job in this one, especially Lex Lang, and Richard Cansino.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:25 am

I really liked the dub growing up, but since then I think the acting is a bit dated. (Especially with the female characters, Kaoru's voice in particular grates on my ears, in both languages. ^^; )

So I'm really excited about this! I think it will be fantastic to see this show, be it a new series or re-vamped version a la Brotherhood, (XD we keep comparing these two!)

Part of me hopes that they'll get Lex Lang and Richard Hayworth(Cansino) back, but another part of me is like "I'd really like to hear a fresh voice." I mean Richard Hayworth hasn't really done much in the past few years, except for a few cameo appearances in shows like Naruto and even Hannah Montana... (Yep it's true xD)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Nami » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 am

I'm excited for this!!

I love, love, love the dubbed version of Kenshin!! :D I hated the movies, OVA's and the last part of the anime >> but the rest ruled! :D I'm uber excited and hope the cast returns from the originals, or if they cast Yahiko as a different person, then to actually get a boy/Aaron Dismuke :P XD Honestly though, I'll be excited no matter what the outcome! :D (though it may not be as enjoyable without the same lead for Kenshin)
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:32 am

[quote="ChristianKitsune (post: 1473539)"]I really liked the dub growing up, but since then I think the acting is a bit dated. (Especially with the female characters, Kaoru's voice in particular grates on my ears, in both languages. ^^]

Yeah, I really don't mind if they change Kaoru's voice that much. But I really liked Lex Lang's and Richard Cansino's.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 pm

So... I caved everyone. I'm rewatching Ruroken season two (As I haven't seen these episodes since they aired on TV). And I still really love this anime. Sure the voice actors sometimes are annoying but it is still a very entertaining show.

So I've been doing some poking around and I fond the official Ruroken 15th anniversary site. http://www.kenshin-tv.com/ The style looks a lot different from the anime judging on the promotional front page, If the new anime is animated in this style what do you guys think about it?

I personally am kind of excited to see a fresh look at my very favorite anime of all time. :)

^-^x
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:38 pm

For my part, art style doesn't matter as much... so that style really wouldn't bother me. The manga had some great art but I read it for the rich story and the beautiful characters... and I think Kaoru is cute! XD >.> ehm, anyway, So that art would be cool. I personally really hope they change the dubbed voice actors. I'm sorry, I just did not like the dub when I watched the anime. Except, I'm not sure, but in the original Japanese is the voice actor of Kenshin a man or a woman?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby broly146 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Can't wait!
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby Maokun » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:11 am

Hmm for some reason, I can't access that site. Could someone please upload the image here? :)
Maokun

Postby TWWK » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 am

Nami (post: 1473543) wrote:I'm excited for this!!

I love, love, love the dubbed version of Kenshin!! :D I hated the movies, OVA's and the last part of the anime >> but the rest ruled! :D

Huh?! Surely you're not including Trust and Betrayal, the first two OVAs! Those are amazing works....
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 am

The movies weren't exactly the best of series...
It's not whether you can or can't do it, it is if you do it or not. Nothing comes easy in this world, especially a job or money. I rely on Jesus to get me through these hard times of persecution.
broly146

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:33 am

PatrickEklektos (post: 1475269) wrote:Except, I'm not sure, but in the original Japanese is the voice actor of Kenshin a man or a woman?

Pretty sure it's a woman.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby broly146 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:41 am

I think women are more common when it comes to voice acting
broly146

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed May 04, 2011 2:50 pm

This may not be totally relevant to the anime, but I found a clip for the opening of the new Kenshin PSP game, and it's animated in a style that could very well be what we'll see. Of course I'm talking about style alone here, not entirely new scenes. But the artwork is definitely updated.

What do you guys think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Z56iNS6aU

It's so shinyyyy *D*
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed May 04, 2011 3:01 pm

The animation of the Saito vs Usui fight was beautimus.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:47 am

Slight Gravedig, I guess, but I like to poke around the Japanese Kenshin website sometimes, and today I saw THIS image on their main website:

What do you guys think, could it be a hint to the fact that they could quite possibly be animating the arc we all really really really wanted? Or it is just something to look pretty?

I don't know why they'd post an image in the newer style, and not include it in the new series, other wise why wouldn't they just post older images of Kenshin and Tomoe?

Just my 2 cents. (and hopeful nearly-rabid fangirl talk.) ;)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:59 am

I have no idea what style they're going to animate this new series in, but from the two examples in this thread so far, I would definitely prefer the more classic-looking one. XD The YouTube clip from the video game is definitely an updated (and SO MUCH SMOOTHER omg it was awesome) version of the old anime, but if they stuck with a style closer to what the OVAs had. . .well, I don't really know. XD I love the art style in the OVAs, don't get me wrong, and I think Trust & Betrayal is a fabulous film, but its style fits the mood of that particular story arc really well, in that it's all very serious.

Kenshin is a shounen anime though, and I think if they try to make the art style for the entire series too serious, it's not going to have anywhere near the same effect when playing out the comedic aspects of the story (or it's going to look ridiculous when it goes from a very toned-down art style into SD characters shouting at each other). XD So yeah, I've got my fingers crossed that the new anime will look like that YouTube clip up there. Because holy LOL that was all kinds of amazing. XD

I'm so excited for this. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Oh goodness, I'm dying here. I can't wait to see this anime.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:08 pm

It's the cover art for the Japanese BD release of the Tsuiokuhen OVA.
blkmage

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1485084) wrote:I have no idea what style they're going to animate this new series in, but from the two examples in this thread so far, I would definitely prefer the more classic-looking one. XD The YouTube clip from the video game is definitely an updated (and SO MUCH SMOOTHER omg it was awesome) version of the old anime, but if they stuck with a style closer to what the OVAs had. . .well, I don't really know. XD I love the art style in the OVAs, don't get me wrong, and I think Trust & Betrayal is a fabulous film, but its style fits the mood of that particular story arc really well, in that it's all very serious.

Kenshin is a shounen anime though, and I think if they try to make the art style for the entire series too serious, it's not going to have anywhere near the same effect when playing out the comedic aspects of the story (or it's going to look ridiculous when it goes from a very toned-down art style into SD characters shouting at each other). XD So yeah, I've got my fingers crossed that the new anime will look like that YouTube clip up there. Because holy LOL that was all kinds of amazing. XD

I'm so excited for this. XD

I want more information, like NOW you know? But dang, like if they used that animation for a friggen VIDEO game...what would they do with a series?

I agree, I'm not sure about the still images I've found. They are pretty but like you said, I'm not sure they'd coexist with the silly moments as well. But if they use the style from the game...whewwww prettay!

Blkmage. I'm sure you are right, and if you are. They are being a little inconsistent with the style of the OVA and those designs. XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby TWWK » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Apparently, a Rurouni Kenshin movie is going to be made! It'll star Keishi Otomo and possibly spawn a series. Take this all with a grain of salt, because I haven't done much research on this (I hope others will fill us in).

As for the possibilities of the film - I'm unfamiliar with the star and director. I've always thought that Rurouni Kenshin, particularly the OVAs, is cinematic. But my expectations are reasonably low, particularly if the filmmakers try to bring the OVAs to life (the single best anime series/OVA/movie I've ever seen).

Then again, I'm not usually married to source material, and I'm willing to give a lot of leeway just to see Kenshin and the other characters on the big screen. In other words, I'm really excited!

So, a movie, possible TV series, AND anime, all upcoming? It's a good time to be a Rurouni Kenshin fan.

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:52 pm

TWWK wrote:It'll star Keishi Otomo

Wrong, it stars Takeru Satoh. :p
I'm unfamiliar with the star

You need to watch more Kamen Rider Den-O then. Here's some good clips though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa5yrewXiqw (quality is bad on this one though)

This one is better quality though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpkfbt0ujD0&feature=related

Sadly there's a lack of Den-O clips on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0-1sqb7rE&feature=related

But I'll do the best I can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWMBWMaVv_0&feature=related

Sadly that's really the best clips on Youtube. Most of the other ones probably got taken down. :\ But this guy is the only reason I'm interested in the live-action Kenshin movie. If he wasn't in it, I wouldn't care. XD

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TWWK » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:52 am

Nate (post: 1487968) wrote:Wrong, it stars Takeru Satoh. :p

That's how much I know about him. Thanks for the correction - I had mentioned the director instead of the lead actor.

He seems like a good fit in that he has both he slight voice and gentle demeanor of TV series Kenshin. And because of that...I'm guessing that we'll see a movie that presents events post-war - more of the fairly light-hearted, action with a bit of comedy kind of film, rather than the serious historical fiction piece that the OVAs were.

TWWK

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:03 pm

XD that actor will make for a very adorable Kenshin X3.

I'm really stoked right now, I hope they are still doing the anime too though...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

I am soooo excited for the live-action movie for Kenshin!
Yieeeee!

And not that this particularly matters, but as it looks now, I'll probably be IN Japan when the live-action movie comes out, which would make it doubly awesome to see! At least for me. :P

I realize I am way too excited for this, but Kenshin is definitely my favorite anime series ever, so. It makes sense. :P
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews