"Starter" anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. Guys, I am now pretty much convinced that Sword of the Stranger is the ultimate new person friendly movie. Holy crap.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Narnian » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1482304) wrote:Last Exile, best anime ever?

*tapes her own mouth shut.*

No, don't tape your mouth shut, I would love to hear your opinion on Last Exile.
[align=center]Christ follower, cosplayer, and anime fan. Jesus is the best!

2 Corinthians 2:14-15
14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

MAL
Blog
DA
Christian cosplayers unite!
DA
Narnian

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1482916) wrote:Oh. My. Gosh. Guys, I am now pretty much convinced that Sword of the Stranger is the ultimate new person friendly movie. Holy crap.
TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1470702) wrote:If your guinea pig is an action fan, Sword of the Stranger is total catnip.
I beat you to that one. =] I do wholeheartedly agree, though, and am very glad you enjoyed the movie.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:50 pm

I'd think films would work better as starter fare. You can watch them in one sitting, self-contained, and with higher production values than most TV Anime. Studio Ghibli tends to be the big name to know here, but for a few more options I recommend:

5 Centimeters Per Second
Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (directed by Miyazaki, actually)
Millennium Actress
Patlabor: The Movie
Sword of the Stranger

Furthermore, Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III, and Patlabor, being stand-alone side stories to longer series, can help break the ice between theatrical and televised Anime.
Narnian (post: 1483555) wrote:No, don't tape your mouth shut, I would love to hear your opinion on Last Exile.
No, you really wouldn't.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:02 am

I forgot to mention that Tokyo Godfathers would be a pretty great starter as well. It is the most straightforward of Satoshi Kon's stuff, and would probably be a good bridge from that, to say, Millennium Actress even though I haven't seen it, at which point you could conceivably watch Paranoia Agent.
Fish and Chips (post: 1483573) wrote:I'd think films would work better as starter fare. You can watch them in one sitting, self-contained, and with higher production values than most TV Anime. Studio Ghibli tends to be the big name to know here, but for a few more options I recommend:

5 Centimeters Per Second
Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (directed by Miyazaki, actually)
Millennium Actress
Patlabor: The Movie
Sword of the Stranger

Furthermore, Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III, and Patlabor, being stand-alone side stories to longer series, can help break the ice between theatrical and televised Anime.
While I love the Cowboy Bebop movie, I'm not so sure it's as good for someone who hasn't seen the series. I think there are a few too many aspects that are banking on you having seen the series, though I guess it works better than some. On the whole, though, I think the idea of showing a movie tie-in is actually kind of interesting. I haven't seen them yet, but maybe showing a Star Wars or general sci-fi fan the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy would be a good way to introduce someone into anime, at which point they have the UC storyline to get into if they wish, and then perhaps will be more open to other works.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Narnian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1483573) wrote:No, you really wouldn't.

Well why not? It's just an opinion after all.
[align=center]Christ follower, cosplayer, and anime fan. Jesus is the best!

2 Corinthians 2:14-15
14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

MAL
Blog
DA
Christian cosplayers unite!
DA
Narnian

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Let me summarize his opinion. He hates it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:56 pm

How about you let him speak for himself Rock.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Falx » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Now people, let's not lose our civility towards one another over something silly like a cartoon.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby SSJ3Goku » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 pm

I believe the first Anime I became interested in was either Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon. They both aired around the same time, so it's hard to remember exactly. :sweat:

Even though watching Fullmetal Alchemist (original) was my first "true" experience to Anime. And the rest, as they say, is history.
John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The list of Anime I'm currently watching, or have watched: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku
SSJ3Goku

Postby GeneD » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1483609) wrote:While I love the Cowboy Bebop movie, I'm not so sure it's as good for someone who hasn't seen the series. I think there are a few too many aspects that are banking on you having seen the series, though I guess it works better than some.
I saw the movie before the series and it was a pretty good introduction (to the series, not anime in general) for me. I agree that movies are a good idea. All the non-anime fans that I know who've watched anime with me was when we watched a movie.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Lilac#18 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Selenite (post: 1471381) wrote:[color="Plum"]Tenchi Muyo/Universe, Sailor Moon, like others had said. Also Fushigi Yugi, HeartCatch PreCure, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto and Naruto Shippuden.[/color]

[color="Plum"]Also, the subbed version of Tokyo Mew Mew is good.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews