[Let's Watch!] Puella Magi Madoka★Magica: magical girls with Faustian themes

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

I'm game

Postby A88mph » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Why dose the animal mentor look like a mix between Gatomon and Terriermon?

As for the show itself, I'm game to see what its like, but i'll wait for a legal sub site to se it.
A88mph

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:15 pm

A88mph wrote:i'll wait for a legal sub site to se it.

We'll miss you.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Falx » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 pm

blkmage (post: 1461369) wrote:Good episode this week. Things happen.
[SPOILER]Plenty of Kyubey nightmare fuel.
Theories being confirmed.
Homura being awesome.[/SPOILER]

Things happen is kind of an understatement.

In some ways this is bigger than episode 03.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 pm

*seconding Falx*

dude.

[spoiler]Kyuubey ATE himself.
Was expecting Sayaka to turn into a witch, but not that magical girls WERE little witches (basically). [/spoiler]

okay. next Thursday can be here now. xD
MightiMidget

Postby Falx » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:33 am

Man I'm probably going to be missing the next two weeks of everything, including this... moving 700 miles away and I don't have internet (yet) in my new flat.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 am

Y'know the whole time Homura was crying to Madoka all I could do was yell at my monitor "KISS HER! KISS HER NOW YOU FOOL! THERE WILL NEVER BE A BETTER TIME TO SHOW YOUR LOVE FOR HER."

She didn't listen. :l

But I'm glad of at least one thing.
[SPOILER]Sayaka's insanity was due to her Soul Gem being too dirtied. Because to have me accept that she went from how she was before to how she was in this episode without an external force working on her would have been too much for me to accept. Still, she's pretty stupid, so I don't feel any pity for her. I feel so sorry for Homura though. Comes back in time from the future, all to protect the girl she loves, confesses her love, and said girl runs away from her.[/SPOILER]

Nate

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:25 pm

[SPOILER]Turn girls into magical girls so they become witches.
It's fitting that Kyubey's name is Incubator.
Homura world-hacking theory confirmed.
Time-loop theory has more support.
Sayaka witch theory confirmed.
[/SPOILER]

Yeah, mind=blown. Also, how about those creepy shots where Homura and Kyoko were talking and that shadowed pendulum thing looked like it was chopping their heads off?
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby blkmage » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Other than all the important plot stuff, there was one other thing that got revealed.
[SPOILER]I'd been wondering for the longest time either when we'd see Homura's bow or what her powers are exactly. If you weren't aware, the pre-airing concept art for Homura has her carrying a thin, black bow. However, ever since episode 1, all she's been carrying around is that buckler.

And ever since episode 3, with her teleportation and blowing up Charlotte, I was wondering what her powers were. Well, now we know. First, she can control time, which isn't all that surprising. What is surprising is that she seems to be summoning real weapons to use. She used a real bomb on Charlotte. Someone was able to ID the gun she used to shoot Kyubey as a Beretta 92 (and mentioned that Kyubey has the same number of holes in him as a full clip holds: 15).[/SPOILER]
Anyway, here are some more Kyubey related, spoiler-free flash games.
Homu Homu Panic
Something to do with punching Kyubey

Oh yeah, I also noticed that the shot of the outside of Homura's house is really similar to a shot of the shop from Le Petit Portrait de Cossette. Oh, Shinbo.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:26 pm

I dunno guys, episode 3 will still remain in my mind the huge shocker episode, though this one did give it a run for its money.
[spoiler] I'm probably in the minority (or I've been watching too much Doctor Who) when I say that I'm thinking Homura is Madoka herself trying to change the past. Yes, I know, it doesn't look like her, but it's still plausible. Homura is more "powerful" than any of the other magical girls thus far (as Kyubey said Madoka could be), thus traveling in time doesn't seem that far fetched if Madoka did become a magical girl. Plus, we only know what Madoka as a magical girl looks like in her drawings. If/when she does become a magical girl, she may look totally different.
Just thinking, though. We'll have to see.

Kyubey ate himself like cake. He just keeps trumping his creepiness each episode. WHYYYYY? D8

Now, we know Kyubey is just an overall jerk, but what could his motives be for turning girls into magical girls which then, supposedly, into witches (with the exception of Mami, who died a magical girl)? Does he just want people to die? Or is there some larger benefit for him? Does he get something by ripping girl's souls out and making them soul gems? His name is Incubator, but what is that fully implying?

Also, my artistic mind was blown at that witch transformation scene. That was fantastic looking.[/spoiler]

I kind of want to drop this series because it's so depressing, but I can't stop watching. XD
It's much too brilliant to stop now.
goldenspines

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:37 pm

goldenspines (post: 1461997) wrote:[spoiler] I'm probably in the minority (or I've been watching too much Doctor Who) when I say that I'm thinking Homura is Madoka herself trying to change the past. Yes, I know, it doesn't look like her, but it's still plausible. Homura is more "powerful" than any of the other magical girls thus far (as Kyubey said Madoka could be), thus traveling in time doesn't seem that far fetched if Madoka did become a magical girl. Plus, we only know what Madoka as a magical girl looks like in her drawings. If/when she does become a magical girl, she may look totally different.
Just thinking, though. We'll have to see.[/spoiler]

This crossed my mind too! Another theory in same vein:

[spoiler]Although I'm thinking the "future Madoka" theory is probably stronger, but maybe somehow Homura is Madoka's mother? A bit out there maybe, but in appearance, I think she looks closer to Homura. And if so, it could be that she was a magical girl, jumped into the future /sees/ the future of Madoka, and then just stays there to try and fix it before she somehow, someway loses her memory/magical girl powers? Just a thought.[/spoiler]

goldenspines (post: 1461997) wrote:[spoiler]Now, we know Kyubey is just an overall jerk, but what could his motives be for turning girls into magical girls which then, supposedly, into witches (with the exception of Mami, who died a magical girl)? Does he just want people to die? Or is there some larger benefit for him? Does he get something by ripping girl's souls out and making them soul gems? His name is Incubator, but what is that fully implying? [/spoiler]

Well....(things feel safer in spoiler tags. :P )

[spoiler]Kyuubey did eat a grief seed. In his back. From...Sayaka? His name meaning Incubator could be some sort of...hm. Magical girls need grief seeds to keep their soul gem clear, so that soul gem collects (in a sense) grief seeds before becoming grief seeds themselves? And then does Kyuubey get like, leftovers, in an attempt to become global dominator? xD Not sure. But I have a feeling it has something to do with him...absorbing them...[/spoiler]
MightiMidget

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 am

[SPOILER]Or he's Incubator in the sense that he grows girls into magical girls and then into witches, keeping them in a very close environment and such.[/SPOILER]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby blkmage » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 pm

blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:47 pm

*shall now have nightmares thanks to blkmage*
MightiMidget

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:53 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1462071) wrote:[spoiler]Or he's Incubator in the sense that he grows girls into magical girls and then into witches, keeping them in a very close environment and such.[/spoiler]

Ah yes, that makes sense.
[spoiler] He's kind of like a chicken on the eggs, so to speak. [/spoiler]

IT BLINKED WHAT. D8
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:58 pm

In shocking news today, 2ch likes Madoka a lot:
The Madoka main thread on 2ch has hit its 466th thread already today, making it the most talked about anime in the history of the 2ch anime board for a 3 month anime.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 466 threads ongoing (actual number 472, but deduct 6 threads that were made before airing)

Previous top anime – Total number of threads in a 3 month run

1st Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu 464 threads (2006)
2nd K-on! 354 threads (2009)
3rd Angel Beats! 338 threads (2010)
4th K-on!! 331 threads
5th Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu 2nd season 283 threads (2009)
6th Code Geass R2 277 threads (2008)
7th Minamike ~Okawari~ 254 threads (2008)
8th Strike Witches 253 threads (2008)
9th Macross F 217 threads (2008)
10th School Days 206 threads (2007)
10th Darker Than Black 2nd season 206 threads (2009)

Keep in mind that we still have a month to go.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 pm

[SPOILER]I didn't think that Sayaka would end up being final boss material; she always seemed like a casualty on the way to the final act. Last episode, I was beginning to entertain the idea that she was, since I expected her to fall quicker, but now, I guess that's a moot point.

There was always one thing that I thought would force Madoka to contract and that'd be protecting her family from danger. Now, I can see a second possibility: to sacrifice herself to counteract the second law of thermodynamics. In that sense, it makes Homura's spiel about Madoka's friends and family in the first episode a lot more relevant.

I'm glad to see that Madoka is bright enough to see through Kyubey's crap.[/SPOILER]
It has come to my attention that in a recent interview, Urobuchi stated that "The story will end with love and hope, but I don't really know how the audience will react toward it". Take that as you will.
blkmage

What is a little girl?

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Because the grief and pain of little girls equals ultimate power we get a series like Madoka Magica.

Oh, and this little juicy pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Atria35 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Kung_Fu_Master (post: 1463400) wrote:Oh, and this little juicy pic.

They're writing in Celty? :lol:
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:31 pm

This episode made me really sad.

I'm gonna go watch My Little Pony now. >_>
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:45 pm

I don't know why, but every Madoka thread in every forum I go to has people also talking about My Little Pony.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:49 pm

blkmage (post: 1463571) wrote:I don't know why, but every Madoka thread in every forum I go to has people also talking about My Little Pony.

LOL. xD

In other words, if it had been anything but Madoka, this line would have cracked me up: [spoiler]"If you feel like dying for this universe, just call us. We'll be waiting!"[/spoiler]

Coming from Kyuubey it was just kind of like: ....

EDIT:
Kung_Fu_Master wrote:Because the grief and pain of little girls equals ultimate power we get a series like Madoka Magica.

Kyuubey needs to have a business meeting with Mike and Sulley to learn that the only thing that trumps terror (and I assume pain, grief, despair :) ) is laughter.
MightiMidget

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:58 pm

blkmage (post: 1463571) wrote:I don't know why, but every Madoka thread in every forum I go to has people also talking about My Little Pony.

Probably because MLP has magic that doesn't kill the characters. D8

But in all for srsness, I'm still looking forward to the rest of this series even though I don't expect it to be satisfying/happy at all.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:05 pm

It's kind of hard to not look forward to the rest of the series...even if only due to a morbid curiosity of what sick and twisted thing is going to happen next...(though I think Madoka is going to be one of my favorite series, but I'm going to not officially say that 'til it's over.) As for lack of happiness, I am expecting [spoiler]Madoka to die. Some...horribly depressing yet heroic way...[/spoiler]
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Interestingly enough, I've been reading a discussion in which someone lays out a fairly solid argument for a good end. Based on what exposure I've had with his works, I can say that his stories and endings are pretty satisfying, although I can't exactly categorize them as happy, at least not in the traditional sense. Keeping the themes of the show that have been introduced already, I think the most likely end is one that's hopeful, but bittersweet.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 pm

This has been brought to my attention: in light of the new information given to us about soul gems in the last few episodes, let us return to the question: what happened to Mami's soul gem?
blkmage

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 am

Ohhh snap. I guess that means she turned into a witch?
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Chiwa Saitou (Homura's voice actress) seems to think this show is going to end excellently and gives some viewing tips:
[SPOILER] Please first just watch episode 10. You'll see Homura in a much better light. And for any viewers out there who have been recording the whole thing, please watch the first episode before episodes 11 and 12. It'll totally look like two completely different shows. I think that's pretty cool. It's as if the first time you watched it you were completely fooled. But the good kind of fooled...maybe. Please watch all the way to the end. And set the bar high. This show will definitely surpass that.
[/SPOILER]
blkmage

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:21 pm

MightiMidget wrote:this line would have cracked me up

It did crack me up.

As well as:

"Are you even human?" "No, and neither are you."

What did Homura do with Madoka after leaving the Witch dimension? Just take her back home? Keep her at her place? Why didn't we get a scene of Homura at Madoka's bedside taking care of her and softly stroking her cheek with tears in her eyes for the object of her affection? WHAT KIND OF MISSED OPPORTUNITY IS THIS?

Well, I guess Kyubey revealing his master plan was pretty good too. BUT STILL.

Nate

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Oh yeah, remember episode 1? Remember HELP ME MADOKA? I guess he didn't really need her help, but that raises the question of why Homura was attacking him.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 pm

To prevent him from meeting Madoka and Sayaka so they could make contracts with him, I assume. Even though he apparently can't be killed, but I don't remember if Homura knew that at that point or not.

Nate

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews