Trouble Choclate?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Trouble Choclate?

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:28 am

Anyone know anything about this title?
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:50 am

Here is an article I found online. This is not an official CAA review.

Trouble Chocolate is the type of series that is for specific type of audience. You must be able to understand and tolerate the stupidest and most ridiculous jokes to enjoy the show. Right from the first episode the whole story is just full of completely crazy characters. You might want to call this a parody, but I'd say it's a comedy with extreme humour that you will either love or hate.

Our main character here, Cacao, always hungry young boy, finds one morning a girl next to him in his bed, this girl seems to be made out of wood, but how and why is she in Cacao's house. Turns out that Cacao gets drunk when eating special chocolate, which he did at the Magicians' Club at school, and after a failed experiment, this wooden girl named Hinano appeared and followed him to his home. Since Hinano can cook well, Cacao lets her stay at the house, and they go to school together...but then again the whole school is nuts, the teachers are like out of a horror film. A vampire teaching literature, or a crossdressing Frankstein monster in house ecomonics. Of course, each character has a spotlight in some episode, so I will not go explaining the history. The cast grows and grows with each episode, and it's a pretty good thing really. You'll get to hear plenty of different types of jokes with so many characters.

Also there was a warning for fan service. Sounds ... pretty weird to me.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Sounds like

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:42 am

Sounds Like my type of anime :) Weird jokes are my favorite
thats the way i see it

Christianotaku

Postby andyroo » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:05 pm

I like Chocolate and all, but I've had enough trouble getting used to rabbits that talk and the acme company. j/k
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

no

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:29 pm

ITS A VERY GOOD SMART PUN

BAKA

;x
thats the way i see it

Christianotaku

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:44 pm

I'm beginning to think you don't really realize what that word means. It's not just "idiot" like most people think...it's actually more of a curse word, so I'd appriciate it if you'd stop throwing it around, okay?

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up"--1 Thessalonians 5:11
Ashley

Postby BrianC » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:17 pm

Actually, I heard that "baka" isn't a curse. I talked to someone who asked someone from Japan and she said "baka" isn't a curse word. However, it does mean a curse when it is used with another word (which I can't mention here). I don't know for sure, but this is what I was told. Ashley, where did you get your info?

Note: I posted this here so people wouldn't get confused by possible misinformation.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:50 pm

Got this off surveycentral.org

"BAKA", another Japanese word meaning "Stupid, Idiot, Dumb ***, Fool, etc...".

but thats just the first thing I found when I went on msn and did "what does Baka mean" Shrug...personaly, I would not use a word I was not 100% sure of its true meaning...the Lord is more then Bilinguel....;)
Stephen

ummmmmm welllll

Postby Christianotaku » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:31 am

I know exactly what baka means since ive studied the japanese culture a lot. And depending which TONE yo uuse the word is harsher or lesser but it is not a curse unless used with the second consenant of a persons name (its little complicated) but for the most part baka is a general you fool idiot dum guy

sometimes its not even used to insult some people nickname there friends baka as an endearing term like koshi.......
thats the way i see it

Christianotaku

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:45 am

Although the other members have taken it well so far, I suggest you find some other "endearing" term to refer to them by. We’re all pretty laid back here, and sometimes our relaxed use of sarcasm can be read in the opposite tone of what it was intended to be.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby BrianC » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:55 am

Well, enough of this. I think it's settled that "baka" or "idiot" shouldn't be used to refer to others becuase calling other people names is rude.

Let's get back on topic. From what I heard, Trouble Chocolate is a flawed comedy that doesn't hold up compared to other shows. I heard that it's somewhat of a ripoff of that anime with a green haired alien named Lum. Is that anime with Lum any good?
BrianC

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:13 pm

Hmmm, Rumiko Takahashi's first endevor. I read some of the manga a long, long time ago. Some pointless trivia ... she was working on Lum at night, while working full time during the day, and became the famous artist from there. Common story, but I still found it inspiring. And I don't think that Lum is the full title, but I can't think of anything otherwise.
Gypsy

Postby BrianC » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:02 pm

Lum isn't the full title, but I don't know how to spell the actual name and I don't want to risk misspelling Japanese names.
BrianC

Postby MillyFan » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:35 pm

I think the name is Urusei Yatsura (which roughly translates to "Those Obnoxious Aliens") and it's a heavy fanservice title. Although I'm not sure.

As for the aforementioned word that "Christianotaku" keeps using, I studied Japanese a little (although not well enough to speak it or read it).

I can tell you with some degree of certainty that the word "baka" can mean anything from simply "idiot" or "foolish" to much worse-it all depends on inflection, context, any accompanying gestures (the American come here gesture especially-it's like "the finger" in Japanese-or a tap of the other person's head while speaking instantly change the meaning to a rougher and more hostile usage, for example), and added syllables.

Just so you know. . .it's not really a polite thing to call someone, but unless it's either translated less literally or it is accompanied by inflection, context, gestures, or an added syllable, it's not a traditional swearword either.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby BrianC » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:35 pm

I thought that Ursei Yatsera would be a good anime to compare Trouble Chocolate to becuase they both have a silly premise and lots of crazy things going on. I haven't seen either, but most reviews I read say the former is better.
BrianC

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews