[Let's Watch!] STAR DRIVER 輝きのタクト

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby SnEptUne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:37 am

Nate (post: 1438260) wrote:Oh I've definitely seen worse final scene to ending transitions.

One of the ones that sticks out to me was Mahoromatic, where Mahoro is close to death, other important characters have died, and Suguru is being chased down by a deadly assassin robot...and it transitions to this.

And Sakana's story is kinda hit and miss for me. I have a bad memory so it's hard to remember exactly what's happened in her little story from week to week. If I was marathoning this or something it'd probably be fine but I tend to forget pretty much everything about her story by the time the next episode rolls around.

I don't get Sakana's story either. But what annoy me the most are the Glittering Crux ladies crossing their legs every 5 seconds, and that story is probably meant for kids. I don't see any depth meaning in this anime.
[SIZE="1"]Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)[/SIZE]
SnEptUne

Postby blkmage » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 am

SnEptUne (post: 1438318) wrote:I don't see any depth meaning in this anime.

You should maybe read the 60 posts in the thread that precedes your post and maybe watch the show and think about the themes more carefully.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:34 pm

SnEptUne (post: 1438318) wrote:But what annoy me the most are the Glittering Crux ladies crossing their legs every 5 seconds, and that story is probably meant for kids.

Not....really, considering the content and the overall depth of the story (see Blkmage's post) I doubt this is targeted towards kids.
Though, in your defense, all the women on Glittering Crux annoy me because of their fanservice-ness. But since they are the "bad guys", them being annoying can still be essential to the story.

The Head dude is awesome though~

Considering Sakana's story, from what I remember....

Boy meets girl
They fall in love.
They want to travel to the stars.
The have no spaceship.
Squid king has spaceship.
Squid king is also evil and really lame.
Boy has to fight Squid king.
Boy defeats Squid king (can't remember this part exactly, but I think this is it).
Squid king admits defeat and says that boy can use ship, but only if he "spills the blood of his loved one" (aka: kills?).
Boy is probably all "Oh snap".

And that's where we are. I may be missing some, but that's the overall gist that I recall.
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:40 pm

I seem to remember a part about them eating something that was forbidden for them to eat, but I don't recall the significance of that or what they ate. And I thought he didn't fight the Squid King, but gave him the blood of the thing he killed so that he wouldn't be immortal anymore...or am I thinking of a different king?

See, like I said. I can't remember it at all. That makes it kind of ineffective as far as symbolism goes, though again, I have a terrible memory, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I was watching these episodes as a marathon.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby goldenspines » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Nate (post: 1438404) wrote:I seem to remember a part about them eating something that was forbidden for them to eat, but I don't recall the significance of that or what they ate. And I thought he didn't fight the Squid King, but gave him the blood of the thing he killed so that he wouldn't be immortal anymore...or am I thinking of a different king?

See, like I said. I can't remember it at all. That makes it kind of ineffective as far as symbolism goes, though again, I have a terrible memory, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I was watching these episodes as a marathon.

You're right. Now I remember the eating forbidden something part. Can't remember what though. XD; Now I have to go rewatch the first epsiodes. :I
goldenspines

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't remember who ate it, but I'm pretty sure it was eating squid.
MightiMidget

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm pretty sure it was Sam and the girl who ate the flesh of the...whatever. And that it was forbidden. For...some reason. And that they took the blood of the...whatever, and gave it to POSSIBLY the Squid King, who drank it and he was no longer immortal but that's what he secretly wanted but Sam didn't know that. OR SOMETHING.

I'm too lazy to go watch the old episodes though. I wish that page that had all the information on the show was keeping track of Sakana's story too.

Nate

Postby blkmage » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Nate (post: 1438464) wrote:I'm pretty sure it was Sam and the girl who ate the flesh of the...whatever. And that it was forbidden. For...some reason. And that they took the blood of the...whatever, and gave it to POSSIBLY the Squid King, who drank it and he was no longer immortal but that's what he secretly wanted but Sam didn't know that. OR SOMETHING.

I'm too lazy to go watch the old episodes though. I wish that page that had all the information on the show was keeping track of Sakana's story too.

It does.

So I just watch the episode and let 2channel keep track of the story for me.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:23 pm

GET OUT

[SPOILER]I'm hoping that fish girl's departure doesn't mean an end to the song. It sure seems like the story is actually about Head, especially with how displeased he was with the ending. Whether the girl in the story is her or is his dead wife or something, I'm not as sure of.

The other great part of the episode was the fight, since it wasn't terribly one-sided. The whole 'they're friends, they'll never fight!' thing was great as well as the 'wow, she's controlling him pretty well!'

And of course it ends with them being bros and breathing heavily.[/SPOILER]
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Yeah, that fight was pretty cool.
But what was up with the strangely long breathing sequence at the end? Thought the video was hung up in a loop for a second there.

I was surprised that "Fish Girl" left. It looks like we get new characters next week.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

MasterDias (post: 1438924) wrote:But what was up with the strangely long breathing sequence at the end? Thought the video was hung up in a loop for a second there.

I was wondering how many times the seiyuu almost passed out with such a long length of heavy breathing.

That. was. awesome.
MightiMidget

Postby goldenspines » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:06 am

This is only episode 8 too! 8D

[spoiler] I will miss Sakana and her awesome singing. 8C I really hope the song sticks around, but it probably won't.
I also agree with you, Blkmage, about Sakana's story being about/similar to the Head. No idea where that's going though, since his character hasn't really been expanded on too much yet.
ACTUALLY, have we even seen him at the school? I can't recall....

BUT

THAT BATTLE YOU GUYS. THAT BATTLE.
It made me happy, especially the outcome. :> Like Blkmage mentioned, I think it was executed in the best way possible, especially all the characters' reactions.
Sugata still remains as one of my favorite characters (even more so now, actually), but I'm glad him and Takuto are bros again. [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:06 pm

It actually hit me after the bus scene.

I think Sakana's story isn't about Takuto and Wako, nor is it meant to be a parallel to the events in the series. Sakana was the girl; Head was Sam. I almost expect her to quietly say "Sam" after saying "Goodbye" at the title card.

Sakana and Head were in love, but Head didn't care about Sakana really, he only wanted to use her to gain the power of the Cybodies. So he "killed" her in order to gain the power for himself. That's why he was angry at the ending of the story. That's my theory anyway.

But yeah, good episode, great fight. I WILL MISS SAKANA.

Nate

Postby Nate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Woo, double-postin'!

I realized when he was walking away from the casket, the guy who fought Takuto in this episode...it's Kenichi Suzumura! "Mind if I defeat you? I can't hear your answer!"

So apparently inside the secret organization there's a SECRETER organization. Also maybe it's just me but I really like Manticore's outfit. Manticore in general is an interesting character. I'm assuming...or guessing...that she's purposely acting ditzy and annoying and unreliable so that when the Cybody says her sister is the West Maiden, nobody will believe her. Either that or she's just lying to her sister. Or...well who knows really.

I'm totally jealous of Sugata too. I want those cute maids with animal ears to wash MY back! And I can't tell if Star Driver is doing these gay jokes on purpose. "Mine's a bit longer." THANKS FOR THE INFO SUGATA DIDN'T NEED TO KNOW THAT MAN.

So yeah this show is picking up now.

Nate

Postby MasterDias » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Yeah, it appears we have some intrigue within the Glittering Crux.
The new characters were pretty fun.

Also, there is one more maiden to be revealed, but...
[spoiler]Recall which four characters were all together on a bus last episode.[/spoiler]

That raises a number of interesting questions about a certain character.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:22 pm

I am sad that there is no battle song.

I don't think it's too surprising there's organizations within organizations. I've always been under the assumption that the different factions of the Glittering Crux were all plotting against each other in some way. I always enjoy their meetings though.

And, well, these are the guys that directed and wrote Ouran, so...

EDIT: OH YEAH, almost forgot, they can fix Cybodies now, so I guess they'll be fixing the ones that got asploded when they were fighting GINGA BISHOUNEN.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:27 pm

blkmage (post: 1440137) wrote:I am sad that there is no battle song.

The fight scene was definitely more dull without Sakana's song, though that might be because the fight was not taken seriously by both parties.
MightiMidget

Postby goldenspines » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 pm

The start of the episode made me laugh. XD; I'm liking the relationship of rivalry between Takuto and Sugata now. It gives more dimension to both characters. Plus, I like Sugata being more of a main character rather than this silent dude who does nothing for the plot. XD

And just when you thought you had met everyone in Kira Boshi, there's more. There's always more, and they are always bishies. (it seems like that, at least. XD)

Pretty soon, every girl in this show will probably fall in love with Takuto, because he's so Ginga Bishonen-y~

Also, yes, no battle song = 8C

Since this episode ended in a cliffhanger, of sorts, the next episode seems like the second part of this mini story. I'm a bit curious how it will play out. Also, BASEBALL! :D
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Love triangles everywhere.

Being the second episode of the arc, I think we can see where the repetitions are going to take place. We've already got: the guys in the bar, the sisters talking in their room, and the sisters talking in the bath, jumping on the bus, guessing the ice cream flavour. I also really liked some of the scenes during the baseball game, which I'm sure 2ch will obsess over and analyse in ridiculous depth. And I found it hilarious that Sugata felt the need to backflip into that catch.

I was worried about the new song for a bit until the orchestra kicked in. It's still no Monochrome, but it'll do.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Yeah the new song isn't quite as good, but it isn't bad.

"We always like the same things." D'oh ho ho ho ho!

This episode didn't have enough Ryuutarous in it.

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Stick Star needs more screen time.

There really wasn't a lot interesting about this episode. Except the whole Kanako being Simone's mother-in-law. Which...well, doesn't really change anything. And it'll probably be a while before the whole Sugata meeting Head thing has any implications.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Just as I was sure I hated Kanako, she has to do something nice.
But nah, I'm with Simone, I still hate her.

Takeshi was back in the action, which I was pleased about. Though, it may be my luck he turns out to be a total jerk, or dies or something.

[insert fangirl moment for Sugata just being there and looking cool here]
Though, it irks me a bit that Sugata is not really too interesting of a character yet (his hair aside). He's kind of just there to look cool and sometimes help (or outshine) Takuto.
Though, yes, as you mentioned, Nate, Sugata meeting the Head may be foreshadowing of something, but we just don't know. If I think about it, maybe your previous theory is correct about Sugata. We'll have to wait and see.

I still like Monochrome better as the battle song. :<

Next episode looks....interesting? I don't even know what to expect, really. XD;
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I think that ever since Sugata APPRIVOISE'd he's gained a little more personality. Before, he was just kinda there, but now he's a bit more of a bro with his 'here, I'll just apprivoise some backup' and all. It's pretty clear he still has a huge part to play in the story, what with the leader of the Glittering Crux being reserved for whoever controls Samekh.

Also, didn't notice this earlier, but songs:
Sakana => Winter (Monochrome)
Wako => Spring (『木漏れ日のコンタクト』)
Mizuno => Summer (Innocent Blue)
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 pm

[quote="blkmage (post: 1443840)"]I think that ever since Sugata APPRIVOISE'd he's gained a little more personality. Before, he was just kinda there, but now he's a bit more of a bro with his 'here, I'll just apprivoise some backup' and all. It's pretty clear he still has a huge part to play in the story, what with the leader of the Glittering Crux being reserved for whoever controls Samekh.

Also, didn't notice this earlier, but songs:
Sakana => Winter (Monochrome)
Wako => Spring (『]
Thus my hope remains.

And yeah, he is more of a bro. Kind of like the older awesome brother who beats up the kids who pick on Takuto. Or something. XD;

I had a suspicion the songs followed the seasons. Wonder what Autumn will be like... :3
goldenspines

Postby goldenspines » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Double post, sorry. >_>

"It's a sundae~" XDD

Aside from the fact that I dislike Kanako, I enjoyed this episode. The battle was top notch as well. Glad to see Takuto using something different than swords this time around.
And the bit of info we were given in the conversation between Kanako in her Glittering Crux outfit and Takuto was vague, but piqued my interest.

Also, the Head needs to stop being a watching sunsets all the time emo and get back in the game. Kind of interesting that he compares himself to Sugata though. I wonder where that is going...

Now that we've finally started challenging the members of the "Glittering Crux Table", it seems like we're getting serious about this, finally. Next episode looks like it will be fun. XD;
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 am

According to this episode I would be the best Star Driver that ever existed.

I'm also pretty sure this is the first time that I've seen a show play its theme song in the middle of the episode. I've seen it at the beginning, halfway through the beginning and middle, and even at the end, but never in the middle.

I didn't mind Kanako before this episode. I didn't particularly like her but I was like eh whatever she's there. I don't know why I hated her so much in this episode though. She didn't really do anything different than she normally does. But I just couldn't stand her in this one. I was glad to see her get soundly defeated.

Man what was up with that conversation between Kanako and Mizuno? I can't tell if we're supposed to take this whole "she knows magic" thing seriously or not. Was the whole story she told supposed to be a replacement for Sakana's story, or is it meant to foreshadow something, or is it supposed to make us go "Ha ha she's so dumb" or what? I'm really, REALLY confused about that.

But know what I'm not confused about? ULTRAMAN ZERO OH GOD I WANT IT SO BAD IT IS THE BEST THING EVER I NEED IT IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW.

Nate

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Changing when the OP plays seems like an artsy thing to do; I think it's done in ef too (among other weird stuff). Also note that the ED has changed slightly since the arc changed (who's that on the side of the bus now?).

I think I'm the opposite, in that I also didn't really mind Kanako but I liked her in this episode. The random boxing stuff was pretty hilarious. I'd chalk Mizuno's story to being another one of those things that is indecipherable until it becomes obvious what it's supposed to be.

I don't think Head is really out of the game. I think he's deliberately setting himself up for these meetings with Sugata for nefarious purposes. And painting.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:56 pm

New OP: was excited for a bit when the first bit was similar, then was disappointed when it turned out to be a fairly standard OP.
New ED: alright, I guess.

KISU SHEENU

Most of the episode was interesting. The disappointing part was Sugata's one-hit KO. It's like, well, what's the point? I mean, I would have liked to see more of evil Cybody if he was just going to blast it away like that.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:42 pm

The most interesting new revelation for me in episode 14 is that it appears that Marino [spoiler]doesn't actually exist. Either she's some alternate personality/construct brought to life by Mizuno's powers, or they are somehow two halves of the same person. The new opening suggests this as well.[/spoiler]

The new opening and ending are decent, but not exceptional.

MasterDias

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

New opening, now with 20% more nudity! It's okay. I like it about the same as the first opening. The new ending though, meh.

Ah, don't you just love anime physics? She's on top of a moving bus and somehow her skirt doesn't fly up.

Well we do get confirmation that the one chick is a Maiden. Though that was heavily implied in the bus scene a couple of episodes back. Also, man, stuff happening ALL OVER THE PLACE in this episode. Especially when Head got frozen in Zero Time and I'm like "Wait so what?" and then when Sugata came back he was like "That guy is gone!"

I'm also a bit disappointed in them not doing more with the evil Cybody. Oh well.

Nate

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews