[Let's Watch!] STAR DRIVER 輝きのタクト

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:30 pm

My question, kind of echoes off one of Nate's comments, of why was Head frozen in Zero Time at first? Is one of his abilities to be able to bend time and change his location?
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:42 pm

So I guess they really can't leave the island, huh.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Yeah, that was a really eerie scene. Poor girl.
And it looks like the Crux have finally made their move.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Man that whole scene with her trying to leave the island was really creepy. I can see why she broke down like that.

Still standing behind my theory. Sugata will become Emperor. Whether it's of his own free will, he gets tricked into doing it, or they control him somehow...it's gonna happen.

Gee, I wonder what the way to leave the island is. As if I didn't know.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Well...she gets to leave the island at least!

Anyway great fight scene, and a nice tiny bit of backstory for Takuto. I'm wondering if that's the ONLY backstory we'll get for him though. Also kind of curious why Sugata didn't feel the need to step in and use his power to help Takuto when he was helpless. Well it all turned out for the best in the end anyway I guess.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 pm

I hope that's not the only back story for Takuto. :<

Good episode though, I thought. Got to see the Head approvise; plus we got to see more of what happens when a Maiden's seal is destroyed (we kind of knew something with Sakana, but not really that much as the beginning). That's two Maiden's left; need new battle song plz~

Maybe it was just me, but I feel like I didn't get enough explanation of Maiden's powers concerning Mizuno "creating" Marino. Maybe it's meant to be a secret, but still. We also got the impression that Mizuno was more "powerful" since she was not affected by zero time before this episode (or so we think).

Odd though, despite Glittering Crux being the "bad guys" they do seem to help the maidens do what they want to do most, leave the island.

And like you, Nate, I was also curious why Sugata didn't step in. Was he having doubts or confused thoughts after the Head had talked to him previously?

Hopefully next episode will reveal more answers; though I doubt it. Girls playing beach volleyball? Yeeeeah, filler episode probably. XD
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:42 pm

I think Marino was a first phase power. I'm not really sure that there are any maiden-specific powers.

The thing about the Crux is that while they're antagonistic, they're not particularly evil.

I am hoping for more from Head. The result of his apprivoise and subsequent battle were kind of underwhelming, even if the fight itself was pretty great.

You would think that a beach episode would be filler, but if there's something Enokido likes to do, it's to give unlikely things layers of meaning. Every episode has been pretty important, and we've had episodes about a teacher with the hots for bishounen and a baseball episode already.

Oh yeah, I came across this today
––Since the North Maiden has left, what’s going to happen to the pre-battle song?

The West Maiden sings in the West Maiden Arc. I’m pleased to see the popularity of the Maidens singing as the battle starts. Each Maiden has her own song, for example, Wako sang before the battle in episode 6. If you ask why the Maidens sing, “Maidens that live on southern islands sing” is something that’s been established since Mothra.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Takuto has the most cryptically "revealed" backstory ever. I'm still wondering why he swam to the island...

And third-ing the "Why didn't Sugata step in?" question again. Though the only reason he stepped in the first time was because it was 2 on 1. Another time Sugata specifically did not help a potentially endangered Takuto due to it being 1 on 1, like this time.
MightiMidget

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 am

MightiMidget wrote:I'm still wondering why he swam to the island...

He missed the ferry, remember? :p
Though the only reason he stepped in the first time was because it was 2 on 1. Another time Sugata specifically did not help a potentially endangered Takuto due to it being 1 on 1, like this time.

I don't know. I'm trying to remember. I remember the first time he wanted to help, Wako stopped him because she was worried about him falling unconscious again, so he didn't. I think the second time was the fight against Kanako, and Wako asked "Aren't you going to help?" and Sugata replied "This is something he has to do by himself" or something to that effect.

Then, I think it was last episode with the out of control crazy Cybody that Sugata helped Takuto. This episode...no idea what Sugata was doing that he didn't feel the need to help out though.

Head said that Takuto wasn't the only Galactic Pretty Boy but he didn't have a transformation sequence so I call bull on his claim.

Nate

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:16 am

First volume of the Star Driver BD/DVD came out today, and that means

[SIZE="7"]APPRIVOISE[/SIZE]
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:45 pm

blkmage (post: 1454409) wrote:First volume of the Star Driver BD/DVD came out today, and that means

APPRIVOISE

8D

My day has been made, thank you~
goldenspines

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 am

I'm glad Mizuno and Marino got a happy ending. Hope that isn't the last we see of them for the rest of the series, since I liked their subplot the best so far.

I'm also wondering if there is more to Takuto's flashback.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:22 am

Ohohoho, this episode was pretty boss.

Head sure pulled a fast one on everyone. And we finally get more answers to pressing questions about the mechanics of Zero Time and phases and King's Pillar and all that jazz. Also, new song, excellent GINGA BISHOUNEN battle, and Sugata 萌えええええええ〜.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Sales numbers.

Star Driver's DVD numbers are an okay ~5000 units, behind Kuroshitsuji II, Durarara, and Hakouki. It's BD numbers are better, at about ~7300 units, behind Strike Witches 2 who is behind A Certain Magical Index 2 who is behind OreImo at ~17000 units. So about 12000 total which is not bad for how it turned out, but probably not as great as what the producers were hoping for before airing.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:04 am

*rofl* XD

and on a more serious note, I think that screencap accurately represents my reaction to the ending of this episode + a "what on earth..."
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 am

That episode was definitely a Image
blkmage

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Keito is actually kind of a fun character. I like her.

I would hope "Please do not imitate rapists" is the sort of thing you don't have to actually tell people (yes, yes, I'm aware it was a running gag). Man is this like the whole thing Soi was trying to do to Tamahome in Fushigi Yugi? Oh well at least that annoying blonde girl got beat up.

Nate

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Nate (post: 1457381) wrote:Keito is actually kind of a fun character. I like her.

I would hope "Please do not imitate rapists" is the sort of thing you don't have to actually tell people (yes, yes, I'm aware it was a running gag)

Yes....and yes. :oops: I was thinking that too...
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 pm

That warning was added by gg and wasn't actually in the anime.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 pm

blkmage (post: 1457391) wrote:That warning was added by gg and wasn't actually in the anime.

GG? Is that the station/timeslot (?) it is airing on? :oops: And okay, was wondering about that too. Yay answered questions. Hehe.
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 pm

fansubbers
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Okay, thank you. *is still learning what's what* :sweat:
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:50 pm

This week's was pretty great for a number of reasons. I was preparing for another dumb body switch episode, but it was nice to see characters who weren't dumb catching on. It's also nice to see the three mains have some fun. I did notice instead of Keito singing, we had Wako sing, although not for the battle. And of course, flying Tauburn was pretty awesome.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Takuto's neck sure did heal fast.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:22 am

I was also happy we didn't get another lame body switch episode. I did roll my eyes though, but it was nice for it not to last long and become frustrating (I tend to want to throw things at my screen during any body switch episode). I suppose it was semi essential to the plot to "ruin" Wako's birthday, but still. XP
Oh well, it all turned out all right in the end.

And as adorable as the two presents Wako got from the guys are, how will Sugata protect Wako now without his knife? D:

Takuto flying! :D

And Takuto also appears to have super healing powers. I recall when he "woke up", he put his hand on his neck, and then it's never referred to again. (not to mention Wako doesn't apologize for it XD)

And I realize I forgot to comment here after the last episode. I only had one main reaction ------> O_______O
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Let's see, things to cross off the bingo card:

Head is Takuto's father - confirmed.

Head is immortal - confirmed.

We also learned that Head has a thing for S-names. Sora, Shingo, Sakana...

And man, those stupid creepy lesbian chicks are back in the game? I was hoping they would be gone for at least a while. This was a cool episode though, lots of good stuff, and Camel Star being smart, it just sucks that it backfired on him.

Okay so now we know the chick in the paintings is Sora. The woman in Takuto's watch is his mother. Sora is Takuto's mother. Which raises the question. Why are paintings of Takuto's mother in Sugata's house?
[spoiler]SUGATA IS TAKUTO'S BROTHER CALLING IT NOW[/spoiler]
Keito remains awesome and now we know after the last episode that Wako's choice was Sugata so now Takuto needs to give up on Wako and go for East Maiden love.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:51 pm

The Head being Takuto's dad is creepy, even if he is immortal. : I

[spoiler] I was actually thinking Sugata was Ryousuke's son. O: No idea who the mother is though. Could be Sora, but she hasn't returned to the island, that we know of, and it's presumed she is dead (has that actually been said?). [/spoiler]

Exciting stuff, either way~

Also, was that Sakana I saw in the preview for the next episode? :D

P.S. Baby Shiba is the cutest thing in the world.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:21 pm

goldenspines (post: 1460133) wrote:Also, was that Sakana I saw in the preview for the next episode? :D

[SPOILER]Someone mentioned on twitter that Tomatsu Haruka was listed in the CV list for the Feb 27 episode.[/SPOILER]
Also, what are the chances that Vice President is animal guy?
blkmage

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:23 pm

blkmage wrote:Also, what are the chances that Vice President is animal guy?

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff-

You're probably right.

Nate

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:15 am

goldenspines (post: 1460133) wrote:The Head being Takuto's dad is creepy, even if he is immortal. : I

I second this! Though I missed the "immortal" bit so it felt even creepier. :oops:
MightiMidget

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews