151 Seiyuu: From Hirano Aya to Wakamoto Norio

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 am

[quote="blkmage (post: 1458186)"]Hiyama Nobuyuki (檜]I am a fan.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:00 am

Nate (post: 1458339) wrote:Actually no, he's not. Akira Sasanuma is the voice of Link in Twilight Princess and Smash Bros, and will also voice Link in Skyward Sword.

Really? *goes to look around* Huh, you're right. Then why does AnimeNewsNetwork say he's Link in Twilight Princess? :eyebrow:

Incidentally, while we're on the topic of Hiyama Noboyuki, I found this video (in Spanish) of some of his voice work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyl_-mt56A
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 am

You expected factual reporting from ANN? That was your first mistake. :p

And yeah Nobuyuki Hiyama is pretty cool. He's definitely great at hot-blooded screams. Such a shame Nintendo wouldn't let him give Link full voice work. He would have done such an awesome job!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Nate (post: 1459903) wrote:And yeah Nobuyuki Hiyama is pretty cool. He's definitely great at hot-blooded screams.
No one else could have pulled off Gai Shishio as well as he did. Amazing stuff.

Can't wait to hear him as Viral, as I've only heard the English dub of TTGL.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Hiyama Nobuyuki and Seki Tomokazu. Both are pretty awesome. I don't know how true it is but I've heard that Seki used to get stopped by people on the street who would ask him to go through Domon's Shining Finger spiel.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Sun May 08, 2011 6:19 pm

We're going to get to 151, mark my words.

[SIZE="5"]95. Kanda Akemi (神田朱未)[/SIZE]

Not quite a star, but she's had plenty of interesting roles. She tends to be the soft-spoken female of the various shows she's in, with a few exceptions. For instance, Asuna from Negima is pretty brash and Czeslaw is, well, a boy.

Major Roles
Clannad (TV) as Ryou Fujibayashi
Cross Game (TV) as Akane Takigawa; Wakaba Tsukishima
D.C. ~Da Capo~ (TV) as Miharu Amakase
Baccano! (TV) as Czeslaw Meyer
Mahou Sensei Negima! as Asuna Kagurazaka
Maria Holic (TV) as Nanami Kiri
Tales of Agriculture (TV) as Hazuki Oikawa

[SIZE="5"]96. Takeuchi Junko (竹内順子)[/SIZE]

While it's not all she does, it's pretty clear her forte is as the shounen protagonist, particularly the one who's likely the most well-known of the past decade, Uzumaki Naruto. But that's not her only starring role. Hunter X Hunter, Digimon Frontier, and Inazuma Eleven are extremely popular in Japan and she's the main protagonist in all of those.

Major Roles
Digimon Adventure (TV) as Gomamon
Digimon Frontier (TV) as Takuya Kanbara
Hunter X Hunter (TV) as Gon Freeces
Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (movie) as Mimi
Inazuma Eleven (TV) as Endou Mamoru
Medabots (TV) as MetaBee
Monster (TV) as Dieter
Naruto (TV) as Naruto Uzumaki
Yes! Precure 5 (TV) as Rin Natsuki / Cure Rouge
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (TV) as Mokuba Kaiba

[SIZE="5"]97. Ohtsuka Akio (大塚明夫)[/SIZE]

Here's someone with an extremely long list of credits. He's got that deep voice that's appropriate for villains and narration. I'm sure you've heard him in something.

Major Roles
Banner of the Stars (TV) as Samson
Black Jack (TV) as Black Jack
Bleach (TV) as Kyouraku Shunsui
Durarara!! (TV) as Shingen Kishitani
Fate/Zero (TV) as Rider
Full Metal Panic! (TV) as Lt. Cmdr. Andrey Kalinin
Ghost in the Shell (movie) as Batou
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (OAV) as Anavel Gato
One Piece (TV) as Marshall D. Teach/Blackbeard

[SIZE="5"]98. Miyamura Yuko (宮村優子)[/SIZE]

Here's someone that's had a few major roles and has otherwise disappeared into the ether. She provided the voice of what's probably the first anta baka-er, Asuka Langley Sohryu/Shikinami. I'm not sure, but her health problems may be the reason for her lack of appearances. Anyway, many of her roles are from years ago.

Major Roles
Case Closed (TV) as Kazuha Toyama
Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) as Asuka Langley Sohryu
My-HiME (TV) as Alyssa Searrs
Outlaw Star (TV) as Aisha Clanclan
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Sun May 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Well, arrived too late to this thread to fawn over Maaya Sakamoto, but everyone else did a good job of it. Thankfully, I arrived just in time for the greatest seiyuu ever who should be appearing in this thread soon, according to minakichan's lyrics romanization (which should be linked from the opening post, as it serves as an index.)

Mind blowers of the thread:

1. Krillin = Luffy
2. Ranma/Inuyasha = L = Ussop WAT
3. Naruto = Dieter
Maokun

Postby Falx » Sun May 08, 2011 11:26 pm

I really liked Kanda Akemi's voice for Ryou. There's a tone of softness to it that suits the character perfectly.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Agloval » Sun May 08, 2011 11:59 pm

blkmage (post: 1477673) wrote:He's got that deep voice that's appropriate for villains and narration.

'Solomon! I have returned!'
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 am

Maokun (post: 1477706) wrote:Mind blowers of the thread:

Naruto = Dieter

On one hand, this makes me want to cry. On the other, it's really cool that they voiced a character I don't like, and a character I do.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon May 09, 2011 7:29 am

I finally got around to watching Baccano! subbed and I have to say that I really liked Kanda Akemi's job as Czeslaw. She did a perfect job of flipping between the innocent and the real Czeslaws.

Also, Shingen is awesome and anyone who voices him is awesome.

Oh yeah, now that I only listen to stuff subbed I might actually be able to participate!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 am

I haven't seen her other roles but I agree with Hat'n'Clogs that Kanda Akemi as Czes is awesome and completely spot-on.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Maokun » Tue May 10, 2011 4:58 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1477789) wrote:Oh yeah, now that I only listen to stuff subbed

Let me be the one to welcome you to this new, superior world.
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Thu May 12, 2011 7:14 pm

[SIZE="5"]99. Sendai Eri (仙台エリ)[/SIZE]

A mix of main and supporting roles for lesser known shows and a Precure or two here and there. Not much to go on, really.

[SIZE="5"]100. Nakamura Yuichi (中村悠一)[/SIZE]

Nakamura Yuichi is a guy that's been showing up in a lot of stuff in the past few years. He has kind of the same voice and plays many of the same types of characters as Tomokazu Sugita. Maybe it's because they both play Key protagonists that I associate them that way. Anyhow, in 2007, he somehow lands a number of huge roles: Abe in Oofuri, Tomoya in Clannad, Ikuto in Shugo Chara, and Graham Aker in Gundam 00. And ever since, he hasn't really had trouble finding really good roles.

Major Roles
Ookiku Furikabutte (2007), Takaya Abe
Clannad (2007), Tomoya Okazaki
Shugo Chara! (2007), Ikuto Tsukiyomi
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (2007), Graham Aker
Macross Frontier (2008), Alto Saotome
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season (2008), Mister Bushido
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009), Greed
Fairy Tail (2009), Gray Fullbuster
Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (2010), Kyousuke Kousaka

[SIZE="5"]101. Yamadera Kouichi (山寺宏一)[/SIZE]

Here's a guy who's played some really big roles in the past. He's still in a large amount of stuff, but I don't think he's ever gotten another role in recent years that's really matched either of his roles in Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop.

Major Roles
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Ryouji Kaji)
Cowboy Bebop (Spike Spiegel)
Space Pirate Captain Harlock (Harlock)
Gekijōban Pocket Monsters: Mewtwo no Gyakushū (Mew)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Togusa)

[SIZE="5"]102. Hoshino Souichirou (保志総一郎)[/SIZE]

His voice has this sort of scratchy youthfulness that makes it easy to pick out. Coincidentally, playing younger headstrong protagonists tends to be his schtick, as exemplified in his first huge role, Kira in Gundam Seed. His roles in Higurashi, Sengoku Basara, and Break Blade are pretty similar. As a result, I think his most surprising and interesting performance is where he does something completely different (and I couldn't even tell it was him) as Lio in Kara no Kyoukai.

Major Roles
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Kira Yamato)
Onegai Teacher (Kei Kusanagi)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Keiichi Maebara)
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (Gino Weinberg)
Sengoku Basara (Sanada Yukimura)
Sora no Otoshimono (Tomoki Sakurai)
Break Blade (Rygart Arrow)
Kara no Kyoukai: Murder Speculation (Part 2) (Lio Shirazumi)
Takeru Shirogane (Muv-Luv 2003)
Takeshi Kuranari, Kid (Ever17)
blkmage

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 pm

The only one of Takeuchi Junko's roles I'm all that familiar with is Dieter from Monster. It's a good young-boy voice.

Okay, dude. I was going to say that I've heard Ohtsuka Akio in a lot of shows (like "Rai-Dei za Bureido" from Trigun :brow: ), but couldn't really remember his voice. But then I saw that he did Asuka Sr.'s voice in Kaitou Saint Tail...and I remember him now XD I bet I'm the only one who can say that, rather than his other roles :hits_self I noticed he's in several Miyazaki movies, but I'm most familiar with the English dubs of those.

Apparently I've heard Sendai Eri in Gunslinger Girl, Jin-Roh, and Wolf's Rain...but I don't remember her character or voice in any of them! T_T

Nakamura Yuichi! Greed! He has a good voice for that role. It was quite similar to the original series' Greed; I barely even noticed. And he was only in it for like two episodes before the character got shoved into the background XD

Hey! Yamadera Kouichi is Isaac MacDougal in FMA: Brotherhood! ...not that I liked that character much, though <_< And ;SLDKFJDS;LKFJDS;LKFJDSFLKJ he was in Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva!!!!!! :wow!: I have yet to watch the subbed version, though.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Agloval » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 am

I'm not sure Milky Rose even counts as a proper Cure :)

Interesting to read about Hoshino Souichirou... I think I'd picked up on a Kira/Rygart sound but never actually pinned down that it was the same person.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby Maokun » Fri May 13, 2011 2:13 am

Kaji = Spike! Now that one is very appropriate.
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 am

[SIZE="5"]103. Momoi Haruko (桃井はるこ)[/SIZE]

Her voice is pretty much what you'd expect from someone who plays a character named Feyris Nyannyan. She seems to be fairly acquainted with the whole Akihabara scene and was a part of an anison duo.

Major Roles
Ai Yori Aoshi (TV) as Chika Minazuki
D.C. ~Da Capo~ (TV) as Utamaru
My Bride is a Mermaid (TV) as San Seto
Paranoia Agent (TV) as Maromi
Steins;Gate (TV) as Feyris Nyannyan
Tales of the Abyss (TV) as Anise Tatlin

[SIZE="5"]104. Kuwatani Natsuko (桑谷夏子)[/SIZE]

She can't really be pigeonholed into a role. I mean, the list of roles that I put together runs the gamut. They're all pretty unlike each other. My favourite performance of hers is in Haruhi as Ryoko Asakura for various scenes that are major spoilers.

Major Roles
Futakoi (TV) as Koi Chigusa
Last Exile (TV) as Alistia Agrew
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (TV) as Alph
(The) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV) as Ryoko Asakura
Negima! (TV) as Yue Ayase
Rozen Maiden (TV) as Suiseiseki
S.A (TV) as Sakura Ushikubo
Sengoku Basara (TV) as Kasuga
Sketchbook ~full color'S~ (TV) as Fuu Himuro

[SIZE="5"]105. Akimoto Yousuke (秋元羊介)[/SIZE]

Don't know much of his work, but he seems to be fairly active and doing alright.

Major Roles
Giant Robo (OAV) as Shockwave Alberto
Inazuma Eleven (TV) as Garshield Bayhan
Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de (TV) as Taisa
Mobile Fighter G Gundam (TV) as Master Asia / Toho Fuhai
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OAV) as Steiner Hardy
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (TV) as Siegel Clyne
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 am

blkmage (post: 1483391) wrote:
[SIZE="5"]105. Akimoto Yousuke (秋]

Don't know much of his work, but he seems to be fairly active and doing alright.

Major Roles
Giant Robo (OAV) as Shockwave Alberto
Inazuma Eleven (TV) as Garshield Bayhan
Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de (TV) as Taisa
Mobile Fighter G Gundam (TV) as Master Asia / Toho Fuhai
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OAV) as Steiner Hardy
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (TV) as Siegel Clyne
Alberto the Impact is totally awesome and this reinforces my desire to watch G Gundam.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Maokun » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 am

I'm extremely disappointed that there wasn't a single mention of ~Desu!
Maokun

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Who the heck is Alistia Agrew? :eyebrow: Either it's been too long or I was asleep when I saw Last Exile....

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:55 pm

If I remember correctly, Alister Agrew is the name they used on the official NA release. I assume Alistia would be an alternate romanization?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby GeneD » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:42 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1483994) wrote:Who the heck is Alistia Agrew? :eyebrow: Either it's been too long or I was asleep when I saw Last Exile....
She is Tatiana's quiet friend and navigator. I don't think she ever said much.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Falx » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:46 am

I haven't seen it mentioned here on CAA yet so I figured here would be a good place:

It is with sadness that I report the passing of Kawakami_Tomoko who died June 9 due to cancer related complications at the age of 41.

She was known for her roles as Misuzu in Air, Athena Glory in ARIA and Utena in Revolutionary Girl Utena. More recently she voiced Elise in Nodame Cantabile and a few months ago expressed great interest in a possible role in the upcoming Mawaru Penguindrum.

She will be missed.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah, she was an incredibly talented voice actress and voiced some fantastic characters. She was featured as #64 here. Very sad news.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:21 pm

I am not good with make post in a timely manner.

[SIZE="5"]106. Ishimura Tomoko (石村知子)[/SIZE]

I am looking down this list and I am going to go out on a limb and say that her roles are not that major.

[SIZE="5"]107. Toyoguchi Megumi (豊口めぐみ)[/SIZE]

A seiyuu who's been getting work over the last decade. It's been a while since I've watched some of these shows, but if I recall correctly, they all tend to be more energetic roles.

Major Roles
Bamboo Blade (TV) as Kirino Chiba
Black Lagoon (TV) as Revy
Chobits (TV) as Yumi Omura
Cross Game (TV) as Ichiyou Tsukishima
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) as Winry Rockbell
.hack//SIGN (TV) as Mimiru
Ichigo 100% (TV) as Tsukasa Nishino
Macross Frontier (TV) as Klan Klang
Maria Holic (TV) as Fumi Kumagai
Maria Watches Over Us (TV) as Sei Satou
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (TV) as Elle; Miriallia Haw
Myself; Yourself (TV) as Yuzuki Fujimura
Pocket Monsters: Diamond & Pearl (TV) as Hikari
(The) Sacred Blacksmith (TV) as Aria
Suite Precure (TV) as Ellen Kurokawa/Siren/Cure Beat

[SIZE="5"]108. Matsumoto Megumi (松元恵)[/SIZE]

Not much.

[SIZE="5"]109. Hayshibara Megumi (林原めぐみ)[/SIZE]

Hayashibara Megumi was one of the biggest seiyuu of the 90s. While she's still playing her roles in longer running works, she's seems to have dialed back on voice acting work over the last decade. She continues to sing and release albums and singles and such. Anyway, she has a fairly large number of roles that I'm sure everyone will instantly recognize.

Major Roles
Ranma ½ (Ranma Saotome)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (Christina Mackenzie)
Flanders no Inu, Boku no Patrasche (Nero)
Video Girl Ai (Ai)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Rei Ayanami, Yui Ikari, Penpen, Unit 01)
Slayers (Lina Inverse)
Saber Marionette (Lime)
Pokémon (Musashi (Jessie) of Team Rocket, Ash's Bulbasaur, Pidgeotto, Goldeen)
Cowboy Bebop (Faye Valentine)
blkmage

Postby mkalv » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

The only one I recognize is Hayshibara Megumi as Jessie from Pokemon, and I only recognize her there because I was looking up scenes that 4Kids edited out.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Toyoguchi Megumi!!!! I really liked her Winry - a tad more than the other Megumi who took over in Brotherhood. Her voice really fit. Apparently she's Sophia in Claymore, but all those ladies sort of merge together in my mind, so I can't remember which one she is. She's also somebody in D.Gray-man, but I'm not sure if I've come across her yet (the name is bolded, so I guess it's a main character). And she's in the Professor Layton movie!!!!! :wow!: I haven't seen it in Japanese yet, so now I'm even more excited!

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:20 am

I do like old Winry's voice more than new Winry's voice, but at this point, I've forgotten what she sounds like.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

[SIZE="5"]
110. Miyazaki Ui (宮崎羽衣)
[/SIZE]

She seems to have a few game roles that landed her in the respective anime cast. Don't know much about her otherwise.

Major Roles
Ar Tonelico (OAV) as Orica Mestomille
Chaos;HEAd (TV) as Nanami Nishijō
D.C.S.S. ~Da Capo Second Season~ (TV) as Aisia
Gift ~eternal rainbow~ (TV) as Kirino Konosaka
Kanokon (TV) as Kiriko Takana

[SIZE="5"]111. Makino Yui (牧野由依)[/SIZE]

The two big things she's known for are Sakura in Tsubasa Chronicle and her performance of the ARIA opening themes. I haven't watched Tsubasa Chronicle, so I haven't heard her performance of Sakura, but it's pretty big challenge to follow up Tange Sakura's performance in Card Captor Sakura. As for her work in ARIA, that is pretty solid gold and is one of the things that defines the show.

Major Roles
Tsubasa Chronicle as Sakura
Welcome to the NHK! as Misaki Nakahara
Bokurano as Aiko Tokosumi
Sketchbook as Hazuki Torikai
Sora Kake Girl as Honoka Kawai
Taishō Yakyū Musume as Kyouko Sakurami
C as Hanabi Ikuta

[SIZE="5"]112. Nakajima Megumi (中島愛)[/SIZE]

Nakajima Megumi is a half-Japanese/half-Filipina who, through an audition, debuted as Ranka Lee in Macross Frontier. Obviously, as one side of a love triangle in a Macross, the role was huge, and it gave her the opportunity to show off her singing. So far, her most notable role and songs are still the ones from Macross F, but she's definitely got talent.

She also provides the voicebank for the Vocaloid GUMI, which I think is the best sounding one. I'm beginning to wonder if GUMI might be starting to eclipse Mamegu a bit, especially with the strong crop of 2010 GUMI songs.

Major Roles
Macross Frontier as Ranka Lee
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl: Galactic Battles as Kotone (Lyra)
Fairy Tail as Lyra
Sacred Seven as Aiba Ruri

[SIZE="5"]113. Kano Yui (鹿野優以)[/SIZE]

Not much, I'm afraid.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews