Anime that you watch that you're pretty sure no one else here watches

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:38 am

Ooh, nice! Thanks for your help C.T. Girl and Wyntre Rose! I think I'll get the second one.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:07 pm

I've seen Scrapped Princess - beautiful animation, as can always be expected from BONES, but I didn't care much for the story. The sibling bonds were about all that saved it, as well as one of the characters having the same name as my brother.

And I've also seen Claymore, quite recently actually. It is quite violent (erm...beheading? cannibalism? yeah), and a bit too unrealistic for my tastes (meaning the battles and the blood fountains), but a decent show nonetheless.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:00 am

Have I brought up Kemono no Souja Erin on this thread? If not, I highly recommend it. A very moving story that is very character-oriented. I only know two other viewers, so it definitely needs more love.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Midori » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Now I'm pretty sure nobody's seen or even heard of Eden's Bowy. Nice classic strangeness, with a touch of awesome in bits. Its main flaw is it's story is too small for the full 26 episodes it has, though it's not as annoying as Fantastic Children that way.
Midori

Postby Nate » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:35 pm

I've heard of Eden's Bowy! But...I haven't seen it. Nor do I know what it's about. But I have heard the title!

An anime I've seen (some of) that I haven't even heard mentioned around here is an old one called Iria: Zeiram the Animation. I watched the first...three or four episodes of it, and it was generic, boring, and forgettable, so I don't blame anyone here for not watching it. But I thought I'd mention it because I have seen it, and I don't think most other people have.

It's biggest claim to fame is that MTV did a parody re-dub of it for one of their shows. "I have to go to Radio Shack! I will meet you at the food court later!"

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Midori » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Oh I saw Iria. The main thing I liked about it was the animation and design style, but it also had its moments. I think it was based on a novel. Like, a novel novel, not a light novel.
Midori

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:15 pm

This is kind of fun... I've seen quite a few of the titles mentioned here. :D
Mithrandir

Postby Chibi0saka » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Sorry If I someone posted this and I missed it but I really don't feel like reading seven pages. :P

I'm pretty sure nobody else has seen Time of Eve. Its a really fantastic series and it is also very short! Six, fifteen minute episodes is all there is right now. I'm hoping the creators will make a second "season". Its running on Crunchyroll right now and it is a series done by a really small independant group. The series is about a future where androids have become common household appliances-so common that the new generation is beginning to treat them like human beings. Basically this is like a really weird slice-of-life/sci-fi mix. Its really good if you are interested in series about artificial intelligence, and since its so short I can honestly say, there's no reason to not at least watch the first two episodes.
[font="Verdana"][color="RoyalBlue"]NOTHING but the blood[/color][/font]
Chibi0saka

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Anyone else seen Mameshiba?

Nate

Postby TWWK » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Nate (post: 1431981) wrote:Anyone else seen Mameshiba?

You mean the commercials? If so, I love 'em!
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby That Dude » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:48 pm

This is pretty neat. I've actually seen a good number of the anime posted here (though I haven't taken the time to list them...)

Anyway, here are some ones that I've seen that don't seem to get much recognition.

Now And Then, Here And There - Seriously one of the best dramas of all time.

Neia Under7 - A little known anime buy AbE the guy who did Lain and Haibane Renmai.

Green Legend Ran - an old ninities sci-fi standalone movie.

Infinite Ryvius - Basically Lord Of The Flies, in space!

Armitage III - Another set of nineties anime movies.

Spriggan - This one was a little bigger, but I know very few people who've seen it.

The Avenger - A very forgettable sci-fi in the vain of Kino's Journey.

Gungrave - Again, a bigger but still kinda ambiguous anime.

Earth Maiden Arjuna - An amazingly paced and written story, also amazingly and annoyingly preachy.

Nadesico - A way to much underrated sci-fi epic with hilarity thrown in.

Planetes - Very realistic sci-fi slice of life about space trashmen.

Xenosaga - Some random sci-fi with world ending stuff.

Vandread - Sci-fi comedy about a crew of misfits from two planets, one entirely of men, one entirely of women, both were taught that the other gender were horrible monsters.

Noein - I know this one is more popular, but still very under-rated.

Giant Robo - Another little known classic.

Parallel Dual! - A sci-fi comedy about multiple universes.

Otogi Zoshi - Historical anime.

Kai Doh Moru - Historical movie about a girl pretending to be a samurai.

Munto - Sci-fi about a "magical girl" better than it sounds.

Green Green - Harem anime.

Midori Days - Bigger but pretty underrated show where a guy wakes up and his right hand has become this girl who has secretely had a crush on him.

I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs - A dude crossdresses as a girl to become a teacher.

Onegai Teacher - A guy marries his teacher, who happens to be his neighbor, who happens to be an alien.

If I See You In My Dreams - A romantic drama.

I have quite a few more, but I think that a lot of them have probably been said, or are just popular enough to get them out of this catagory.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Midori » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm

That Dude wrote:Noein - I know this one is more popular, but still very under-rated.
The under-rated-ness of Noein is under-rated.
Midori

Postby That Dude » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Midori (post: 1432178) wrote:The under-rated-ness of Noein is under-rated.

Very true.

Also I have seen two or three episodes of Edens Bowie. So you are not alone.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby TWWK » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Midori (post: 1432178) wrote:The under-rated-ness of Noein is under-rated.

Noein is really, REALLY good. But it does seem like a lot of us have seen it. :P

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 pm

I think I'm one of... two people here watching the Tamayura OVA that's airing right now. It's an OVA of 4 17-minute episodes about a girl that loves photography, and the daily lives of her and her friends in her little town. Reminds me of ARIA.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:58 pm

That Dude (post: 1432176) wrote:Onegai Teacher - A guy marries his teacher, who happens to be his neighbor, who happens to be an alien.

._. Y'know, that description is almost enough to make me want to rush out right now and watch it.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:17 pm

ThatDude, I have actually seen a lot of the ones you listed, but I am so glad you mentioned:
That Dude (post: 1432176) wrote:The Avenger
Wow, I truly thought I was the ONLY guy to have seen any of that. I watched the fansubs as they were coming out years ago, back in the days I used to choose what shows I watched based primarily on the character designs. I stopped watching after six-ish episodes. Show was SO boring...just, like...glacially paced and with almost no dialogue. Ugh.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Nate » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:._. Y'know, that description is almost enough to make me want to rush out right now and watch it.

Sexual situations galore, just so ya know. :p

But I've seen it. It's pretty funny. Also Ichigo is the clearly superior choice to Mizuho.

Nate

Postby TWWK » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Hmm...anyone seen Shingu: Secret of the Stellar War? I really liked the first half and was completely bored during the second half.

TWWK

Postby MasterDias » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:58 pm

Nadesico - A way to much underrated sci-fi epic with hilarity thrown in.

I'm...not sure I would consider Nadesico underrated. It was one of the more popular scifi anime series of the 90s. Just because no one talks about it anymore doesn't really mean no one has seen it.

I saw most of it years ago. While I did get some laughs out of it, it was honestly pretty hit or miss with me. But who knows...there is a chance I'd enjoy it better now.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby TWWK » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:11 am

MasterDias (post: 1432744) wrote:I'm...not sure I would consider Nadesico underrated. It was one of the more popular scifi anime series of the 90s. Just because no one talks about it anymore doesn't really mean no one has seen it...

I think that has to do with the average age in this forum, which seems to be considerably higher than your typical anime forum. If you wrote that pick elsewhere, I bet few would've seen it.

TWWK

Postby Kaori » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 am

I usually am pretty out of the loop about most of the anime that get discussed on CAA these days, but it turns out that there actually are some anime out there that I have watched. Who would have thought?

That Dude (post: 1432176) wrote:Infinite Ryvius - Basically Lord Of The Flies, in space!

I saw a few discs of this but didn’t get to finish it, unfortunately] Armitage III - Another set of nineties anime movies.

Spriggan - This one was a little bigger, but I know very few people who've seen it.[/quote]
Saw both of those. Well, I saw at least one of the Armitage III movies, but I’m not sure which. I liked Spriggan pretty well at the time—it’s nothing amazing, but I thought it was a pretty decent action flick.

That Dude wrote: Nadesico - A way to much underrated sci-fi epic with hilarity thrown in.

Saw it, loved it. If you like this, you ought to watch Irresponsible Captain Tylor, the older anime (same genre) to which Nadesico is hugely indebted. Several of the gags in Nadesico, like the tomato flag, are directly indebted to Tylor.

That Dude wrote: Vandread - Sci-fi comedy about a crew of misfits from two planets, one entirely of men, one entirely of women, both were taught that the other gender were horrible monsters.

I saw one or two episodes of this and wasn’t particularly impressed.

That Dude wrote: Otogi Zoshi - Historical anime.

That’s a good one; I especially liked the Heian arc.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1432593) wrote:ThatDude, I have actually seen a lot of the ones you listed, but I am so glad you mentioned:Wow, I truly thought I was the ONLY guy to have seen any of that. I watched the fansubs as they were coming out years ago, back in the days I used to choose what shows I watched based primarily on the character designs. I stopped watching after six-ish episodes. Show was SO boring...just, like...glacially paced and with almost no dialogue. Ugh.

Oh man, you are totally right, Avenger was one of the most boring animes that I've ever seen. Still it wasn't as bad as Final Fantasy Unlimited.
That Dude

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I just finished Gun X Sword last night; anyone here seen that? I liked it pretty well. Some interesting characters, particularly the main...villain? Antagonist? Whatever you want to call the guy. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby KougaHane » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:28 pm

I watched Darker Than Black. I've never met anyone else who's watched it but it is definitely my favorite right now.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby TWWK » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Kaori (post: 1432775) wrote:Saw it, loved it. If you like this, you ought to watch Irresponsible Captain Tylor, the older anime (same genre) to which Nadesico is hugely indebted. Several of the gags in Nadesico, like the tomato flag, are directly indebted to Tylor.

I own the Tyler TV series...it's such a great show! I don't know how to pinpoint it, but there's just a unique mood created in it that's hard to replicate. Very good.

TWWK

Postby QuirkyIceHeart » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 pm

KougaHane (post: 1433178) wrote:I watched Darker Than Black. I've never met anyone else who's watched it but it is definitely my favorite right now.

I started it a few days ago, and it's just about my favorite now too. You beat me to posting here, though XP

Hmm, I'll have to look up that "Time of Eve"... sounds interesting.
[I]“Love crosses all boundaries, and is often shot for trespassing.â€
QuirkyIceHeart

Location: IN YOUR FACE. And the internet. And my personal dream worlds B) Arkansas for you boring people :P

Postby Falx » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:28 am

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1433167)"]I just finished Gun X Sword last night]

This was a huge surprise series. Started out cheesy but became amazing right around the half-way point.

Darker Than Black is also pretty good.

Anyone watched Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou?
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:49 am

Anyone here watching Heroic Age? The plot's kinda chaotic, but if you want a good space opera and some very impressive CGI, this is worthwhile. Plus the theme song is just AWESOME!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:54 am

QuirkyIceHeart (post: 1433199) wrote:Hmm, I'll have to look up that "Time of Eve"... sounds interesting.

If you're in the US, the OVA is available on Crunchyroll :)
Falx (post: 1433204) wrote:Anyone watched Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou?

Saw a few eps, read some of the manga. I think the manga is better overall. But it's not a half-bad anime.

One that I know a few people have seen on here-but not that many- is the OVA Pale Cocoon. it's short- only 30 minutes in legnth, so you really can't expect a grand, sweeping plot. But what it offers is a love of the planet we live on, and a little mystery about it.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews