Anime that you watch that you're pretty sure no one else here watches

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:33 am

Nadesico wishes it was even close to as good as Tylor was. Comparing Tylor to Nadesico is like comparing a full course Thanksgiving dinner to a bologna sandwich.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:48 am

Nate (post: 1433239) wrote:Nadesico wishes it was even close to as good as Tylor was. Comparing Tylor to Nadesico is like comparing a full course Thanksgiving dinner to a bologna sandwich.

Bah! Granted I haven't seen as much of Tylor, but from the three or four episodes I saw, I'd say it was good, but Nadesico was a lot better. But to each his own.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:07 pm

I should get around to watching Tylor at some point. I've heard nothing but good about it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:19 pm

rocklobster (post: 1433215) wrote:Anyone here watching Heroic Age? The plot's kinda chaotic, but if you want a good space opera and some very impressive CGI, this is worthwhile. Plus the theme song is just AWESOME!

Seen it. Heroic Age is a pretty solid series.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Jeikobu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Aside of Rocketshipper, I don't know anyone here who watches Japanese Pokemon (which is a shame IMO since the Japanese version is SO much better).

Does anyone else besides me love Super Gals?
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:55 pm

That Dude wrote:I'd say it was good, but Nadesico was a lot better.

Right, because killing off the best character in the show 3 episodes in for no reason is totally better than having the best character in the show throughout the whole thing so the audience can enjoy his antics.

Nadesico is better only on a purely aesthetic level. Music is probably better too. But that's like saying Halo is better than Super Mario Bros. 3 because its graphics and music are more advanced.

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm double-posting and no one can stop me! Wait, except the mods. They can stop me.

I was on Youtube listening to music when it hit me. I bet no one else here has seen the Arc the Lad anime. That's a shame, I think, since it isn't a bad show. It's definitely inferior to the game, but it's not bad on its own. It's definitely one of those things you'd appreciate more if you played the games though. I mean, it probably doesn't have much going for it otherwise.

Nate

Postby Midori » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 pm

I watched the first episode of that many many years ago. Does that count?

I actually wasn't interested but my parents/family roped me into it by claiming it was "just like the Legend of Zelda". It wasn't.

...oh man, they could make me eat vegetables when I was a kid, but that anime stuff... :D JK

Actually now that I search my memories, I didn't dislike it too much, I was just peeved at the false comparison to (what I thought was) the best video game series ever EVER. I started it again by myself several years later. I watched more of it that time, but I eventually decided it was too slow to watch by myself.
Midori

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 am

Midori wrote:"just like the Legend of Zelda"

I...bwa...huh? What? What? Huh? What?

I...there are no words for that. At all. When did a Zelda game have airships and fighter planes? Guns and skyscrapers? Cars and tanks?

That's not even counting that Elc is nothing like Link, nor is Lieza anything like Zelda. I guess Arc is SORT OF like Link? Except he doesn't even show up until like halfway through the series (yeah, kinda funny he's the title character and doesn't show up until way later, that's because he was the main character in the first game but the second game starts out focusing on Elc, and the anime at the beginning follows the second game).

I just...wow. On top of that I don't recall any Legend of Zelda game having a plot point about children being abducted and horribly mutilated and twisted into monsters in lab experiments, and I don't think the body count in any Zelda game has been as high as in this series, except maybe in Ocarina of Time (but even that happens off-screen).

Wow. I...wow.
I was just peeved at the false comparison to (what I thought was) the best video game series ever EVER

But how is it a false comparison when it IS based on the best video game series ever? ]I eventually decided it was too slow to watch by myself.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it is kind of a slow series. It probably would've been better suited for a six to twelve episode OAV or something. Like I said though, I loved the games and had played them first, so I was really into the series because of that. If you haven't played the games, though, I can see it being not particularly interesting. The music isn't as good as the game's music (even if the theme song is the theme of the game) and the animation is average at best.

Though the ending song is kinda fun. Not the best song you'll ever hear but it's pretty good.

Hey wait, looking at the credits for Arc the Lad, I figured out why they thought it was just like Legend of Zelda! See, the voice actor for Tosh in Japan was Nobuyuki Hiyama, who voiced adult Link in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask!

...okay that was a stretch. Especially since Tosh is nothing like Link, and doesn't show up until later in the series either. BUT STILL! It's SOMETHING!

EDIT: More crazy fun. Turns out that ending song I linked to, Happy Tomorrow, is by a band called NiNa. NiNa are a six-piece group formed in 1999 containing Kate Pierson (of The B-52s), bassist Mick Karn (of Japan), vocalist Yuki Isoya (from the Japanese band Judy and Mary), Takemi Shima and Masahide Sakuma, Japanese musicians from The Plastics, and Steven Wolf. That's a lot of talent! It's a shame it was used in such an obscure anime title based on a fairly obscure game series.

EDIT AGAIN: IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

The voice of Gruga in Arc the Lad? Takashi Nagasako. Who voiced Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. I don't think Gruga is in the anime though...but it's been a while so I could be wrong (and he could have a different voice actor in the anime even if he was in it). STILL. GEEZ.

Nate

Postby That Dude » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Has anybody else seen Orphan?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby QuirkyIceHeart » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:23 am

Gintama? :3
[I]“Love crosses all boundaries, and is often shot for trespassing.â€
QuirkyIceHeart

Location: IN YOUR FACE. And the internet. And my personal dream worlds B) Arkansas for you boring people :P

Postby Midori » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:32 pm

That Dude (post: 1451934) wrote:Has anybody else seen Orphan?
I've seen it! At least, if you mean Sorcerous Stabber Orphen. It was pretty good.
Midori

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 am

QuirkyIceHeart (post: 1452137) wrote:Gintama? :3

I watch this. I kinda like it, but I'd be careful about recommending it because of all the sexual humor in it. Actually, my main complaint is that there's such a lack of cohesion in it. There's really no overarching story and it really just goes from one arc to the next. But I love all the fourth wall humor and Kagura is so cute and feisty! I love it when she decides to kick butt!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby QuirkyIceHeart » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 am

rocklobster (post: 1452355) wrote:I watch this. I kinda like it, but I'd be careful about recommending it because of all the sexual humor in it. Actually, my main complaint is that there's such a lack of cohesion in it. There's really no overarching story and it really just goes from one arc to the next. But I love all the fourth wall humor and Kagura is so cute and feisty! I love it when she decides to kick butt!

Lawlz, I know -_- It's really too bad, about all that bad humor...
It's actually the first anime I've liked without any sort of main plot, which is saying a lot, because I tend to HATE THE GUTS of fillers. O.e
*nodnod * Heheh, my favorite is Gintoki :grin:
QuirkyIceHeart

Location: IN YOUR FACE. And the internet. And my personal dream worlds B) Arkansas for you boring people :P

Postby Falx » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 am

I've got only 6 episodes left of that... man what a ride.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby QuirkyIceHeart » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Falx (post: 1453013) wrote:I've got only 6 episodes left of that... man what a ride.

Gintama, or Orphan? XD If you mean Gintama, is it still good? (Assuming one liked the first 30 episodes?)
QuirkyIceHeart

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:00 pm

I've been watching Mazinger Z. Pretty sure nobody else here watches that.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Falx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 pm

QuirkyIceHeart (post: 1453413) wrote:Gintama, or Orphan? XD If you mean Gintama, is it still good? (Assuming one liked the first 30 episodes?)

Gintama, and yes.

I mean every now and then you get an episode or even a few episodes that are a chore to get through because they milk a joke so long and so hard that if it were a cow it would be a mummified corpse.

But yes, the good episodes far outweigh the bad.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby CrystalChalice » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:54 pm

Has anyone seen Groove Adventure Rave before?
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:I've been watching Mazinger Z. Pretty sure nobody else here watches that.

I can't claim to be watching it, but I have seen episodes from time to time. Classic giant robot action, and I find the design... notable.

CrystalChalice wrote:Has anyone seen Groove Adventure Rave before?

Not all of it, but I read the manga (which I prefer). There are things to criticize about Hiro Mashima's writing, but if you don't mind them it's solid (not to mention fast paced) shonen. In my opinion the best characters are ones that don't even appear in the anime.
uc pseudonym

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:35 pm

GaoGaiGar

Do you enjoy the super robot genre?

Are you OK with the intended audience of your anime being 8-10 year old boys and the fact that, at times, it seems like an extended toy commercial?

Can you tolerate large doses of mecha tropes such as transformation sequences, stock footage, attack-screaming, and "ganbare logic?"

Are you patient with the "monster-of-the-week" formula, if it's only employed for part of the series?

Are you willing to watch a decent/solid 1/3 to 1/2 of a series in order to get to a fantastic, absolutely wonderful second part of a series?

If you answered yes to these questions, then you will adore GaoGaiGar. If any of the above are deal-breakers, then look elsewhere while the rest of us revel in testosterone-fueled mechanized goodness.

I think the OP is a good litmus test. If it makes you smile and you want more, then I recommend GGG. If it didn't pique your interest, then this is probably not for you.

This is a show I don't think I can really do justice. I like it an awful lot, though it isn't perfect and it isn't for everyone. Go here and listen to the last 21:20 of this podcast for a spot-on review of the series.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Edward » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

This looks a lot like Voltron. It seems like it would be a pretty fun series.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Edward (post: 1458193) wrote:This looks a lot like Voltron. It seems like it would be a pretty fun series.
It begins that way, but becomes a more serious, epic kind of show as it goes along. GGG doesn't get un-fun; the second half just has a bit more gravitas. It sort of blows up the way Gurren Lagann does, though it isn't quite as over-the-top as that show.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:32 pm

I'm guessing no one here has ever watched Silent Mobius except me. You folks don't know what you're missing. It's one part Blade Runner, one part demon slaying, and all parts cool. And it all works too.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheMewster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Anybody watched Kodai Ouja Kyouryuu Kingu? Known as Dinosaur King here, though. It's pretty good.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Has anyone seen Groove Adventure Rave before?

I saw it when it was on CN and Syfy. They didn't play the whole thing though. I thought it was ok. It's known as Rave Master in US.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm

TheMewster (post: 1459266) wrote:Anybody watched Kodai Ouja Kyouryuu Kingu? Known as Dinosaur King here, though. It's pretty good.

Saw a few eps because I babysat some kids. It wasn't bad for a 4Kids production, but I would never willingly watch it on my own.
Atria35

Postby Koshka » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I watch Sonic X even though it's a kids' show. xD

Good thing about it is that it doesn't try to take itself seriously. I mostly just watch it because it has talking animals that beat up robots. And because nobody has made a Star Fox anime yet. :P

I've also watched a couple episodes of F-Zero: GP Legend (a.k.a. F-Zero: Falcon Densetsu). It takes itself a little too seriously though, especially considering the characters look like Fisher-Price toys. Storyline isn't half bad though.
The user formerly known as Colonel Sanders

[color="Cyan"]"Be not wise in your own eyes, fear the LORD, turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." -Proverbs 3:7-8[/color]

My Deviant Art
Koshka

Postby Saiya~Jin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm

"Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai", or "My Little Sister can't be this Cute"...

>.>

Hahahaha, I seriously wasn't even planning on watching this, because I thought it would be typical "moe" garbage, with tons of fanservice....but it's actually really good. There is basically zero fanservice, and the 1 or 2 examples I can think of are stretching it. The character development is really good, too.
"The power of imagination is the ability to create your own future...and the power to create your own flow of time."
Saiya~Jin

Postby That Dude » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:55 pm

[quote="Saiya~Jin (post: 1462615)"]"Ore no Imō]

Hmm, I didn't know that this was a show, but all I know about it is that I've stumbled across some dirty doujinshi of it while searching for manga online...I'm kinda surprised that it sounds pretty clean.
That Dude

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews