Anime that you watch that you're pretty sure no one else here watches

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Cadence (post: 1399429) wrote:Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu
This is a series I never thought I would enjoy, but for some reason or another I gave it a chance and ended up loving it. It is about a young girl who is thrown into an alternate "magical world" of witches, warlocks, and wizards. Though it starts out a bit childish, the plot twists later in the story become quite intriguing, and in the end you are left with some nice themes to chew on. The visual style is very unique, and the episodes are only 9 minutes long, so if you're looking for something a bit different, I'd definitely recommend this one.

XD My brother, of all people, watched that. But I didn't (it looked pointless to me), so I guess that doesn't count.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CrystalChalice » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:22 am

Atria35 (post: 1399399) wrote:Ginban Kaleidescope- a love story about a girl and a ghost who's forced to share her body for 100 days before he can get into heaven. In the meanwhile they have to figure out how to live together, since he can see, feel, and taste everything she does, and she's trying to become a olympic gold medalist in skating. So tragic, and so beautiful!

Ginban Kaleidoscope~! I remember watching this when I still had Animax. The ending was so sad, my mom asked why I was crying :red:
CrystalChalice

Postby Adie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:39 am

Atria35 wrote:Then there's also Mononoke, which I really like as well. Not Princess Mononoke, just Mononoke, a series that came into being as a spinoff from the Bakeneko arc of the series Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror. This is a supernatural/psychological mystery series, that explores facets of people and the lies they tell, as well as featuring different spirits from Japanese mythology. And it can be fairly frightening at times. It's also worth a look merely for the experimental animation they used, which takes a while to get used to, but really draws the eye.

Mononoke is awesome~! Not one of my favorites, but I did enjoy it a lot and I loved the animation.

I don't think I've ever seen Gauche the Cellist mentioned on this website -- it was directed by Isao Takahata, and it's a really charming movie about a cellist who, with the help of talking animals, learns the importance of things such as daily practice, getting a "feel" for his music, etc. The animation is a bit outdated, but it's still a wonderful film. :)
Adie

Postby Cloud500 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:00 am

Okay, I just thought of a couple.

Mahoujin Guru Guru- This was a series in the mid 90s that was basically one big Dragon Quest parody.

Shinesman- Another parody from the 90s. This OVA series was a spoof of the super sentai genre.
Cloud500

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 am

Shinesman is amazing.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:49 pm

jadeTheshade (post: 1399577) wrote:does Oban star racers count? i found it online and really enjoyed it...

I guess...that's a weird one. Considering it is a collaboration between the Japanese and the French.
Wolf-man

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Wolf-man (post: 1400275) wrote:I guess...that's a weird one. Considering it is a collaboration between the Japanese and the French.

Definately an odd one. But hey, why not?
I watched it when it was on Jetix, and thought it was pretty good :)

Hmmm. Ah! My Goddess? And I'm talking the tv series, not the OVA or the movie. Pretty popular, and also very sweet. It reminds me of a romantic version of Aria.... with a little more sexual jokes/innuendo. Overall, though, the content is very tame.

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki- apparently to save the earth, this guy must play family with a cat-girl/goddess, a robot, a squid-that's-acutally-not, and... something else. Hijiks ensue. It's fairly funny, but overall was a bit too wierd for me to enjoy to the max. Might also have to do with the ending, which seemed okay, but.... well. Then manga was still ongoing, so they did a decent job with what they had.
Atria35

Postby Cadence » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Atria35 (post: 1400279) wrote:Hmmm. Ah! My Goddess? And I'm talking the tv series, not the OVA or the movie. Pretty popular, and also very sweet. It reminds me of a romantic version of Aria.... with a little more sexual jokes/innuendo. Overall, though, the content is very tame.

I love Ah! My Goddess. And I love your avatar, Atria. :)

Has anyone here watched Angel's Egg? It's a very artsy movie from 1985. I can't claim to have had any idea what it really meant, but it had a unique atmosphere. It was incredibly surrealistic. I spent the entire evening after watching it trying to pick it apart and figure out the symbolism. I failed. :)
Cadence

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Cadence (post: 1400286) wrote:Has anyone here watched Angel's Egg? It's a very artsy movie from 1985. I can't claim to have had any idea what it really meant, but it had a unique atmosphere. It was incredibly surrealistic. I spent the entire evening after watching it trying to pick it apart and figure out the symbolism. I failed. :)

*raises hand* Yup. Same here. I have next to no idea what it was about, either. lol. Whoever wrote the story for that has a very trippy imagination. Even though I didn't understand it, though, I did enjoy it.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Cadence (post: 1400286) wrote:I love Ah! My Goddess. And I love your avatar, Atria. :)

lolz, AWESOME! (and Natsume's great, too!)
Atria35

Postby Rocketshipper » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Shinesman was really hilarious. It was dissapointing that they only ever made two episodes, I think it had potential to be more than just that
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:23 pm

CCSakura (post: 1402848) wrote:Hi and greetings all btw... I'm a new guy! :D

Hi new guy. I'm Katie, otherwise known as "AnimeGirl". I see you're a fan of Tsubasa, yay!!!! I love that show <333

As far as anime I watch that I am pretty sure no one else here does.....

No clue. XD!!!!! Most of what I've watched people have seen! The only lesser known title I have started watching is "Haibane Renmei" which is pretty good so far. I'm pretty sure very few people watch it.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Strait Jacket

Although this three-part OAV series (edited by Manga to play like a single movie) came out on DVD in 2008, you'd think it was from 10-15 years prior. I mean this in a good way of course. SJ is a steam-punk tinged action/horror that just feels so "anime 90s." This is probably why Manga picked it up, since it is just the sort of "beer and curry" release that was their bread and butter during pre-2000s anime fandom (when stuff like Black Lion, Iria or X/1999 could get released and actually make money).

Mankind has scientifically harnessed the power of sorcery, but overuse of sorcery can transform a person into what SJ refers to as a demon, though they just look like super-ugly mutants (they truly are hideous, people). Tactical Sorcerers, a.k.a. dudes in suits of armor with magic guns, exist to put the kibosh on any demons that pop up. If you are looking for some style-over-substance, ultraviolent action that doesn't force you to think too much, then this show is a blast. The character and armor designs are neat, the music is solid, the action is good...plot? Plots are overrated =). No, the plot is OK, just pretty predictable. But don't watch the show for it...watch for cool armor, battles and 'splosions.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:16 pm

CCSakura (post: 1402848) wrote:OOH! I got one! You've never heard of some of them either...

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Hikari no Densetsu

Ok, so that's two...

Hi and greetings all btw... I'm a new guy! :D

Hey, nice to meetcha! And I've heard of both of those- Nadia, I've been trying to figure out a way to avoid the island arcs....
Atria35

Postby GeneD » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 am

A while ago I watched Amatsuki.
MasterDias in the manga equivalent of this thread wrote:Amatsuki: A high-school student, Tokidoki, is seemingly transported to a fantasy version of Edo-period Japan after being attacked by a monster at a virtual-reality history museum. He befriends several others including a fellow schoolmate who was transported around the same time but arrived several years before, and a swordswoman with a demon dog living inside her.

I was initially interested in the series due to seeing and liking some of the art from the manga. Unfortunately the anime ended without any decent conclusion, they were probably planning a second season; which never got off the ground. The manga is still ongoing and the anime only covered the first 24 chapters, apparently.

It's a good series, except for the unresolved ending, which makes it seem as if nothing much happens in the end. I guess if you are interested, check out the manga instead.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:47 am

Falx (post: 1399003) wrote:It's a biting critique of how Japan treats its Elders.

I've seen Roujin Z. About 10 times, at least. One of the first Anime I ever saw.

I don't think I enjoy watch any TRULY OBSCURE anime... I tend to like somewhat unpopular things, though. Higurashi, for instance. Cult classics, I guess. Also Midori no Hibi. Strawberry Eggs.

Actually, I'm pretty sure no one here likes Strawberry eggs because it got so much negative press when it first came out, but I LOVE it. What I love is that, for the most part (though sweat pants would have made more sense than bloomers at a SUPER CONSERVATIVE school like that, and still served the same purpose in ditching the super long skirts) was that the stuff he did made sense. He didn't have the best grasp on his surroundings all the time, but he was a good teacher. Yeah, it was pretty fanservicy, but I don't think it was intolerably so. I would have a hard time showing it to the, uh, uninitiated because of the guy obsessed with Fuuko. He's creepy, for sure.

犬鍋
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 am

Spice and Wolf

Started it last night, didn't see much about it of the forum
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:17 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1403136) wrote:I don't think I enjoy watch any TRULY OBSCURE anime... I tend to like somewhat unpopular things, though. Higurashi, for instance.

I don't think Higurashi gets to qualify as unpopular.
GrubbTheFragger (post: 1403153) wrote:Spice and Wolf

Started it last night, didn't see much about it of the forum

Uh, there is a thread about it like a few threads down and that's just the first page.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Hey anybody else here seen El-Hazard?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1403136) wrote:I don't think I enjoy watch any TRULY OBSCURE anime... I tend to like somewhat unpopular things, though. Higurashi, for instance.

Lolz, Higurashi is one one the most popular horror/mystery anime out there! Definately as far from unpopular as you can get....

Nate (post: 1403187) wrote:Hey anybody else here seen El-Hazard?

Haven't seen it, but I keep meaning to watch it. Beautiful World or one of the AU/ Spin-offs?
Atria35

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:08 pm

If you watch El-Hazard, make sure it's the OAV. The TV series is well...not very good.

Let me put it this way. In the OAV, Ifurita is like...awesome, and cool, and threatening.

In the TV series, Ifurita is the complete opposite. Basically it's like, OAV Ifurita is kind of like Batman from Batman Begins and Dark Knight. In the TV series, Ifurita is kind of like Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon, except imagine Starfire about three times as stupid as she is in that series. And about twice as annoying. And with no redeeming character traits.

Now do you see why I prefer the OAV?

The "Alternative World" spinoff was really really boring. It follows the OAV storyline and not the TV series, but I don't recommend it. It's really bland and uninteresting.

Nate

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:18 am

blkmage (post: 1403162) wrote:I don't think Higurashi gets to qualify as unpopular.

Uh, there is a thread about it like a few threads down and that's just the first page.

Oh.......So there is
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:15 pm

CCSakura (post: 1402848) wrote:Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

Dude! That's one of my favorites!

Nate (post: 1403187) wrote:Hey anybody else here seen El-Hazard?

I actually own it, yet have only gotten around to watching the first half.

Cadence (post: 1400286) wrote:Has anyone here watched Angel's Egg? It's a very artsy movie from 1985. I can't claim to have had any idea what it really meant, but it had a unique atmosphere. It was incredibly surrealistic. I spent the entire evening after watching it trying to pick it apart and figure out the symbolism. I failed. :)

Don't feel bad. I bet you even Yoshitaka Amano and Mamoru Oshii aren't sure what Angel's Egg means.

Well, I guess I need to suggest something of my own, too... how about Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars? Technically, it's a show about giant mecha from space and intergalactic political intrigue, but those elements actually play second fiddle much of the time. The real meat of Shingu is its fun, laid back depiction of middleschool life in the (not too distant) future. It's sort of the anti-Evangelion: dropping a bunch of 14 year olds into an extreme situation, yet somehow staying angst-free.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby pikmintaro » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Saikano, and Gegege no Kitaro

Although I think somebody might have already mentioned Saikano.
If God is your "co-pilot" then you need to switch seats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pikmintaro

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

I didn't mention it earlier, but I have seen Saikano.

I want my time/money back from it too.

Nate

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 am

One that I've seen that I'm pretty sure no one else has is The Laws of Eternity. I had no idea what I was getting into. It's a hilarious(ly painful) movie involving mashups of ideas from Christianity, Paganism, and New Age. I wanted cry, it was so bad!
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:06 am

Nate (post: 1404993) wrote:I didn't mention it earlier, but I have seen Saikano.

I want my time/money back from it too.

What was horrible about it? I read it, but I found it alright, if terribly depressing.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

The ending, mostly. I think the ending tried to copy Evangelion or something but the ending was absolutely atrocious and made the series worthless in my eyes.

Of course, I'm basing this on the anime, not the manga. The manga might be different.

Nate

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Nate (post: 1405502) wrote:The ending, mostly. I think the ending tried to copy Evangelion...the ending was absolutely atrocious and made the series worthless in my eyes.
It's good to see that, if you try, then you can succeed.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:24 pm

Nate (post: 1405502) wrote:The ending, mostly. I think the ending tried to copy Evangelion or something but the ending was absolutely atrocious and made the series worthless in my eyes.

Of course, I'm basing this on the anime, not the manga. The manga might be different.

I'm interested in what this could possibly be, because in the manga,
[SPOILER]The world ends or explodes or something and everyone dies.

Except for Shuuji.

Because Chise turned into a spaceship and they escaped the planet before it blew up or whatever.

Good end? It is a mystery.[/SPOILER]
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews