Anime that you watch that you're pretty sure no one else here watches

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby SierraLea » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Has anyone seen The Story of Saiunkoku? I feel like the only one who knows about it.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:03 pm

SierraLea (post: 1585141) wrote:Has anyone seen The Story of Saiunkoku? I feel like the only one who knows about it.

I'm actually doing episode-by-episode reviews for it on one of my blogs right now. I'm at episode 7. I know there's one other member who's a fan of it on here, but I can't remember who.... :sweat:
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:42 pm

I think Juliannesan is the resident Sainkoku expert. Which reminds me, I was planning on reading or watching it sometime, but my summer's a bit full now... >.>
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:02 pm

^ It's a loooong series. I can't blame you. It will take me a few months to get through.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Yeah, that's the one. The correct spelling is definitely "Seton" which is the original tale's author's last name. I've found a few random episodes here and there in youtube (and the like) but most of them are dubbed to spanish or german (it was quite popular in South America and Germany back then.) A few of them even have english subs, but I don't know how many. I think that at this point the best lead is try to find who subbed the few I can find and see if they made the whole thing. I'll look into it. Unfortunately, we are talking of TV-recorded VHS copies with poor encoding so the quality is, to be generous, awful.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 am

Wait, you have it on VHS?
ABlipinTime

Postby Neane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 am

Here's some more:

Hanada Shounen-shi

Only a few people have seen this since it aired in 2002, even though it is a very good moving show with its funny moments and sadness. It's about a boy who almost died but didn't and can after his accident see ghosts and is one of the funniest and most touching slice of life shows I've seen. Would recommend it particularly to Natsume Yuujinchou fans as they have alot in common.

And it has Backstreet Boys' songs as OP and ED. What more can people want?

Also, One that I haven't seen posted yet is Legend of the Black Heaven. It's got a wacky premise and gets bonus points for having an a cast of paunchy aging adult characters that are mostly past their prime.

The premise behind the anime is an aging salaryman that had ambitions to be a rock star in his youth is approached by aliens to use his music to fight evil aliens. Sure it sounds silly but it's actually funny as heck at times and really the anime is more about a man recapturing the vigor of his youth and finding out that having a family doesn't have to be a soul crushing miserable experience.

The anime also has some nice rock tunes in the OST and I really enjoyed how weird and out there the anime could be. If you're looking for an unconventional anime this is it. Of course that unconventionality is probably the reason that not many people have seen this title.

Also:

MOST EPIC GUITAR PLAYING SCENE OF ALL TIME.

Also, how many people here have seen Mahou no Stage Fancy Lala?

I am currently watching it. It is a series in the classic tradition of magic girl series, when they weren't about girls fighting for love and justice and all that.... Kinda got forgotten in the wake of CCS...Well worth your time if you are into slice-of-life/fantasy anime.

If you like games such as Dynasty Warriors and need a an awesome visualization of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms then this is for you.
Neane

Postby Maokun » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:56 am

ABlipinTime (post: 1585236) wrote:Wait, you have it on VHS?

Haha, I wish. No, I'm talking of the episodes that can be found online. You can easily tell they come from VHS recordings. I'm tempted to buy a german dvd (not sure if there are japanese ones?) and release the raws on the Internet haha.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 am

^ Yeah, but do the German vids have English subtitles or do you plan on watching it in pure Japanese? (or do you speak German?)
ABlipinTime

Postby Juliannesan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:41 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1585174) wrote:I think Juliannesan is the resident Sainkoku expert. Which reminds me, I was planning on reading or watching it sometime, but my summer's a bit full now... >.>

YES! I LOVE Saiunkoku! *holds up the Saiunkoku banner* Hahaha!
Yeah, It's really a great show, I've watched it several times all the way through (the first season) both dubbed and subbed, and while I think that BOTH are great, I still like it subbed slightly more. :cool:

Also the second season isn't licensed, so it's only subbed. But I want to watch again now, since you guys are talking about it. Eeee! They NEED to license it!

I'm also holding out for a 3rd season, but it's probably not going to happen. :/
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Maokun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1585247) wrote:^ Yeah, but do the German vids have English subtitles or do you plan on watching it in pure Japanese? (or do you speak German?)

Neither :P That's why I said I'd release the raws, so someone would sub them XD

Maokun

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews