Evangelion Live-Action Movie

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Evangelion Live-Action Movie

Postby Kirika » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:07 am

I just saw in the Newtype-Usa magazine that there's gonna be a live-action movie on Evangelion by ADV. The special effects will be made by Weta Workshop Ltd. the one who did the effects for The Lord of the Rings. I don't know if it will be Japanese or American actors, but Japanese actors would be weird. I mean, the characters in Anime don't "look" like Japanese people, so a Shinji and Rei... :shady:
Anyway, if someone has more info please let me know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirika

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:20 pm

Here's some highlights I found floating around the web:

In an announcement sure to make waves in the entertainment industry, ADV Films President and CEO John Ledford today publicly confirmed industry rumors that the firm has acquired the rights to produce, and has already begun development of, a live-action feature-film based on the Japanese animated television series “Neon Genesis Evangelion,â€
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby MillyFan » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:13 pm

Where's the vomit smiley when you need it?:stressed:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Kirika » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:24 pm

Originally posted by MillyFan
Where's the vomit smiley when you need it?:stressed:

I don't think it's gonna be that bad. Sure it won't be as good as the anime itself... The only thing I don't get is how they're gonna put all the stuff that's in Evangelion in a 2 or 3 hrs movie.
Kirika

Postby MillyFan » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:26 pm

I don't think you understand.

I don't like Eva, and I hate live-action movies made from anime.

:rant:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Kirika » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:32 pm

Sorry, I didn't know
Kirika

Postby minjigga » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:42 pm

woow. thats crazy. i would watch it. just hope its not bad and corny. if they pull it off and its cool...whooo! with real actors it would be intese. wow.
payce:God bless:minjigs
minjigga

Postby express » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:51 pm

I may sound like a hypocrite, but I've seen all of the Eva stuff, but I will never watch it again. I don't even want to sell it or give it to anyone just for the sake of the would-be possessor's sanity.

Sorry, I'm one of those who do not like it, as well. I'm ready to be jumped now.:shake:
express

Postby express » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:34 pm

Man, St. Peter. You said it all, man! I couldn't have worded it better myself.

Express, if you want to dislike Eva, DO IT WITH PRIDE!!

I will not be afraid!!!!:mutter:

P.S.

I feel really bad that I let one of my friends borrow the series. Now, he's all Eva crazy. I'm REALLY, REALLY sorry I EVER did that.
AHHHH!!!!:shake:
express

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:11 pm

Well, I was just going to shut up and sit back. But, I'm getting kinda tired of always doing that...so.

I liked the characters because they were believable. To me, they were realistic and human because they were flawed. Human = imperfect.

Now...I didn't really like Asuka all that much, and Rei was alright, but I liked Shinji. (as a matter of fact one of my main characters in my story was sort of inspired by him...but we won't get into that here.)

For me Eva is about the characters. Now the symbolism stuff does irk me a bit, but I think it's probably partly spawned out of ignorance maybe? I mean...how much do you think the average Japanese person really knows about true Christianity/Judaism? Probably not a great deal.

Now, I'm not saying that all of these kinds of things should be tolerated in anime, or ANY form of entertainment no matter what the country of origin. But I think Eva could have been A LOT worse. I mean, have you read Wish? It portrays God, yes, but it portrays Him as so weak that He has to send angels to do things for Him. THAT, I believe, is worse than just borrowing a bit of symbolism. Oh, and I could go on about Wish, but this is an Eva thread so I'll save that for later. But that is the kind of thing we shouldn't be tolerating.

And if God has told you not to watch/read Eva, then by all means, steer clear. But He -hasn't- done that for me. Entertainment doesn't phase me anymore in my walk with God. I'm past that stage. In most cases it's -just entertainment-, and there are a lot more serious things I struggle with now. And I don't appreciate that I have to feel like I'm being told what to watch/read...by people that are, for the most part, younger than me, no less! It is NO ONE'S place but God's and the earthly authorities' to tell me what I can/should and can't/shouldn't do.

By the way, if I'm to face the flames for this, then so be it. I'm tired of hiding my true opinions. Because I feel that that, my friends, would be deceiving everyone and living a lie. Living a duel existence. I won't do it. I can't do it. No more. Call me what you like, say what you like, I don't care anymore. If I'm wrong, GOD will deal with me.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:06 am

Just as a general rule of thumb, no one has asked anyone to keep their opinions to themselves. If that was so, we would have a very empty forum. It's the presentation of your opinion that ends up being problematic. Remember, if you are entitled to yours, then a hundred other people are allowed to voice theirs as well.
When it all comes down to it, you alone are going to decide what you will and what you will not watch. The purpose of sharing opinions and content of anime is to warn/advise/promote - not to "tell people what to do". The things that make entertainment good or bad do not change, regardless the age of the person reviewing them. If a ten-year-old tells me that there is sex, nudity, or blatant disrespect to God in a certain anime, I will take their word for it even though I am twice their age. Whether I watch it or not is entirely my call, but I have been warned.
Now, I am not going to pretend that just about everyone here sees NGE in one extreme or the other. Knowing that, I am going to officially turn the burner down a little bit, and re-direct the topic of this thread back to Kirika's original purpose.
A live NGE movie. Imagine that.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby express » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:49 pm

Sorry, about that...

Yes, let's go back to the original subject.

Again...

Sorry...:sniffle:
express

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:20 pm

Don't worry about it. We as a group have a certain knack for dragging things off topic, so it wasn't pointed directly at anyone. Just a reminder that there is a NGE thread for everyone to voice their opinion of the anime series on it. But, Kirka's original intent was to find out about the live NGE movie in the making, so if anyone has any additional info on it, we'd love for you to post.
Gypsy

Postby LorentzForce » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:47 am

http://animeboards.com/t53095/s.html

it simply states how much i'm against it. so i won't babble on here on CAA.
LorentzForce

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews