Mobile Suit Gundam

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Crossfire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

[quote="Davidizer13 (post: 1590710)"]Besides that, I've heard that even if you liked the first season, it completely flies apart in the second]

Nah, you pretty much nailed it. The first season was definitely a much better presentation, characters aside. It seems like a lot of the stuff they did in season 2 was done "just because", maybe it was the director's interpretation of adding drama... I don't know. The movie on the other hand, was a total flop.
Crossfire

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 pm

00 definitely had a lot of interesting ideas but I think it suffered a lot from the split two-cours format. Even though it was trying to reinterpret the classic Gundam conflict within a new geopolitical paradigm, it seemed too married to the old Gundam format and it felt like it tried to rush through a whole Gundam show's worth of development in one cours.

And then there's the movie.
blkmage

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 pm

blkmage (post: 1590721) wrote:And then there's the movie.

Oh, do tell. I'm a glutton for punishment.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:42 am

blkmage

Postby Crossfire » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Do any of you know where one can obtain a copy of Char's Counterattack?

Also, I found this.
Crossfire

Re:

Postby battletech » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Crossfire wrote:Do any of you know where one can obtain a copy of Char's Counterattack?

Also, I found this.

Amazon.com

Yes I know of that news. Did not even think about posting about that here. Stupid me. :hits_self It could be anything. Maybe they are going to try another attempt at a live-action Gundam movie or it's more animation. If it is live-action lets hope it goes better then the last attempt. :bang: I can't wait to find out what it's going to be.
battletech

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam

Postby Crossfire » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Dunno. I've got a feeling that if Pacific Rim does well, we'll be seeing a lot more Japanese-inspired robots on the big screen.
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Crossfire wrote:Dunno. I've got a feeling that if Pacific Rim does well, we'll be seeing a lot more Japanese-inspired robots on the big screen.

The Pacific Rim movie came to mind when I read about this. Maybe they registered these names because the Pacific Rim movie is coming and their going to wait and see how well that movie is received by audiences.
battletech

Postby SierraLea » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:12 pm

I;m seeing this everywhere. How clean is it?
SierraLea

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

SierraLea wrote:I;m seeing this everywhere. How clean is it?

It depends on which one you're watching, really. G Gundam? Clean as a whistle. Mobile Suit Gundam (the original) is somewhat more violent; even though it's not gory, it makes no bones about the fact that a war is on, and people are dying because of the characters' actions. War in the Pocket (my personal favorite) gets very bloody in parts, and the 08th MS Team dub has quite a lot of language, as well as a bit of nudity - then again, the latter two were released as OVAs, and didn't have to abide by TV broadcast standards.

Other than that, Wing and SEED both aired on Toonami more or less intact, but other than that I'm out of my area of expertise - I assume the content for the other series would be pretty similar, a good amount of war violence, and possibly small dashes of language or sexual content. How's that?
Davidizer13

Postby Crossfire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:13 pm

SierraLea wrote:I;m seeing this everywhere. How clean is it?

Depends on what you consider "clean", and which series your looking at. IMO Gundam AGE seems to be the most kid-friendly.
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:32 am

Crossfire that sig is awesome. You did a great job. Only thing I see that could be changed is size. Just a little bit smaller.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am

Hahah, thanks. I've tried uploading it in a smaller size, but it messes up the colours and adds random blurs for what ever reason. Since I still think I did a horrible job, I'll probably attempt to make a new version in the near future.

Edit: V2 of the sig. The glow effect went a little overboard, but I think it's a small improvement over the first design.
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 pm

"Gundam: The Origin" gets a release year and the manga is being released. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... the-origin
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Saw that earlier today... can't wait. It'll be interesting to see how they interpret the story 35 years after its original run.
Crossfire

Postby Nozomi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:28 am

Hokay, so...

From a few past threads/posts in other Gundam-related threads, I've mentioned that I'm trying to watch the entire Gundam Mega-Franchise (sans SD stuff, of course). Currently I'm catching up on Gundam Unicorn with the new Episode 6, and after 6 months of not watching it (started watching the series several months after Ep. 5 came out), I am reminded yet again of my ultimate gripe with a majority of the Gundam titles:

Storyline politics and/or political side-swapping, or whatever term best describes that.

...That is to say, there's so much of it going on that I can't always make sense of who's fighting who, and what all they're fighting for. The closest I can get are generalizations, but keeping track of it all can give me a headache. Up until now I've just chalked it up to war realism (not always knowing who your enemy is or why they're your enemy), but it can be annoying or even frustrating at times because they make those dialogues between enemies so important to the story/plot. I would love to have an actual organizational diagram of things (a la Powerpoint), but I have yet to find one in my casual research of the matter (usually when the annoyance is fresh).

Gundam Wing, while it was my first (and favorite AU to-date) Gundam series, was notorious for this. And with how long the UC timeline stretches out, this seems to be a symptom that overlays several series at once... I think.

So, is it just me who has this problem, or are there other Gundam fans out there that suffer through the same thing?

Help!
Nozomi

Postby battletech » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 am

No I do not have this problem. Can I break it down for you how I'm not confused? No I cannot because I'm not that articulate. I think it might help if you just focus on the main characters perspective. When it comes down to it in all Gundam series that's the main thing. All the other stuff about this political group or that one is just the extra stuff that propels the main character through the story. The main character is like a surfer. The surfer is the one you most focus on not what the waves are doing. That's all I can think of. I'm sure people a lot smarter then me can explain better.
battletech

Postby Nozomi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 pm

I see your point, and I normally practice that in my viewing of Gundam series, it's just that sometimes I wish I could keep up with those dialogue/narrative moments when the politics happen, that's all. I still love me some Gundam; that's why I'm trying to watch ALL the series, hehe.
Nozomi

Postby battletech » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:41 am

Daisuki anime site has a new poll for what they should show and most of the Gundam series are on the poll. Please go there and vote for Gundam to be shown on this site. I being a Gundam fan would really like to see all of Gundamdom being watched by more people. https://www.daisuki.net/ The poll closes on June,23.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:24 am

Voted for Gundam Age. Okay, that's a lie.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ...or is it?
Crossfire

Postby Nozomi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:31 am

Voted for all the Gundam titles that I have not seen yet... so yeah that includes AGE and SEED and a few others.
Nozomi

Postby battletech » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Looks like this video is saying Gundam 00 will be watchable online. I hope it's not region blocked for only Asia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLXZfWfbapY
battletech

Postby battletech » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGA_xKm95zg The next Gundam series. I nice light hold over show before Origins.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm going to reiterate what I said on the other thread; the story sounds awful to me but the battles look pretty cool. Of course, I'm way more excited for the HG lineup.
Crossfire

Postby KnightOfFive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:03 am

Any idea what it is about?
KnightOfFive

Postby Crossfire » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:43 am

Didn't you watch the video? Kids build Gundam models and battle them via some virtual reality game. Pretty much an expanded version of the Gunpla Builders OVA that came out a few years ago. I'm sure they'll throw a romance sub-plot or something to make it more interesting, but I hope they'll put major focus on that delicious Mobile Suit action.
Crossfire

Postby Nozomi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 pm

I was at the Sunrise Industry Panel for Anime Expo just this past Saturday, and that's where they officially announced it for the North American audiences, con-wise at least. It had only just been announced in Japan earlier last week. The preview was interesting, of course, but the commentary from Sunrise's Chief Director (who was on said panel in person) was even better: rest assured, there will be PLENTY of delicious Mobile Suit action. This is because they plan on showing EVERY Gundam model in existence at least once in the series, even if it's only as a cameo/bit part. (Definitely an ambitious goal. If they're doing that on a standard 50-episode series length, that's EIGHT MODELS per episode on average. Yikes!)

Also, they mentioned that they will finally be releasing Gundam ZZ to North American audiences for the first time ever, via the new all-studios collaborative streaming site, Daisuki.net. I THINK I also heard them say that Gundam ZZ will be dubbed in that case, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm excited about it, even though I've already seen the whole thing in fansub.
Nozomi

Postby KazeShiki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 am

That's an interesting tidbit of info regarding animating every model, but I don't think it's as much as you make it sound. The gunpla OVA had a massive FFA battle which must've had 30+ suits and that was over the course of like 7 min. I seriously doubt it will be 50 episodes long. Like I said in the other thread, if it's anything like the OVA, it will be glorious, so covering ~20+ suits an episode is pretty easy when it's mostly cameos (example: show rival competition in 5 secs, cover 2-3 suits). I also think plot-wise, anything longer than 2 cour would be far too boring and even then, 2 cour is questionable. That said, I'm pretty hyped for it even though I wouldn't call myself a Gundam fan ^_^
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Nozomi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:26 am

Well, as I recall, AGE (which I have not yet seen, but I will get to it for sure) went 49 episodes, and most other titles in the franchise are near that length as well, so that was the benchmark I was using.
Nozomi

Postby KazeShiki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:39 am

Just double checked and my memory has greatly exaggerated with the number of suits that showed up; it was more like 10 lol.

I'm aware Gundam often has 50 episode series but I don't think you can use that as a benchmark for something like this that clearly is not about an engaging, developed plot. I could be wrong (and if they do have 50 episodes of well-animated battles, I sure am not going to complain), but I just don't see this being too long.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews