Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby GeneD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm behind with these episodes, but this was too good not to post: http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6694/minitokyobaccanoscans44.jpg
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby goldenspines » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:04 pm

GeneD (post: 1381227) wrote:I'm behind with these episodes, but this was too good not to post: http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6694/minitokyobaccanoscans44.jpg

This post makes me happy. :D

Who had all the free time to make this though? XDD
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm

goldenspines (post: 1381274) wrote:This post makes me happy. :D

Who had all the free time to make this though? XDD

There are a ton of these things on pixiv and Nico Nico Douga.

Here's the pixiv tag for them: [url]http://www.pixiv.net/tags.php?tag=デ]

And it looks like CAA doesn't like Unicode URLs, so you'll just have to copy and paste that.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Falx (post: 1381176) wrote:I said it on another forum...

But I would watch a spin-off series of Shizuo and Celty fighting street crime together, literally, a million times.

A perfect cross-over b/w Durarara!! and Baccano!. Celty chasing Isaac and Miria...Shizuo throwing things at the Gandors. Freaking beautiful.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Baccano! and Durarara!! take place in the same universe.

No crossovers necessary.
Fish and Chips

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1381500) wrote:Baccano! and Durarara!! take place in the same universe.

No crossovers necessary.

If I didn't already believe it, I'd be tempted to say, "There is a God."
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:19 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1381513) wrote:...

If I didn't already believe it, I'd be tempted to say, "There is a God."

There's actually a third series of light novels set in the same universe as Baccano! and Durarara!!. It's called Vamp!, and was scheduled to be released in the states, but it never actually was released. I really hope something by Ryohgo Narita comes out here.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Just got back from Texas in a week and finally get to see THIS.

That was one of the last things I was expecting about celty's head. There goes two of my three theories. Just when I thought I could wrap my mind around it, but being a show that involves a headless horseman I really should of seen that coming.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Episode 10.

Problem, Mikado?

So it turns out ladies man Kido is on the Public Morality Club for some reason, but like that's going to stop him from edging Mikado on about that weird girl he brought home with him last night. Also, pompadours!

Now I can almost talk about why I like Mikado so much. Almost, though you can probably figure it out for yourself if you've finished the episode by now.

Also, here's a fun little detail. The episode opens with Mikado being a little too short on cash to pick up some chips. The next day, when they meet that Dollars guy on the roof, he calls him "The Famous Mikado," and generously offers him chips from the same brand. Interesting~.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm

I totally missed that. What I love about this episode is the tons of subtle hints that are dropped. I'll admit to having been slightly spoiled, but I think that this revelation sort of corroborates with some other hints that really make it clear that there's way more to a lot of these characters than we've been lead to believe so far.

I am pretty glad that Celty and Mikado didn't end up with some stupid series-long chase and antagonism due to a misunderstanding. I was really happy to see them meet each other and talk like the normal, rational people that they are instead of jumping to conclusions.

Also, I enjoyed that one can be so awesome at the Internet that their mouse sets its path on fire.

No blue sparks though, unfortunately.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Pfff... Izaya hopping on the guy made me snort-laugh. Also...Mikadoooooo!!

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ich1990 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm

The random thugs never fail to crack me up. Of course, seeing Izaya jump on things that Celty has just kicked is very enjoyable as well. Additionally, I majorly enjoy the way the show constantly sidesteps cliches (as blkmage pointed out) and makes fun of anime stereotypes.

Also, Mikado just leveled up and got +3 billion to his coolness points. [spoiler]Unless I am mistaken, the fact that he was logging into the Dollar's network and saying "I have all of the pawns I need" means that he is the leader of the Dollars. Man, talk about a dark horse character! If this is really true, then Mikado may have just gone from "pointless main character who is supposed to be a stand-in for the reader" to my favorite character.[/spoiler]
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:43 pm

THANK YOU.

I actually got one right.
Kung_Fu_Master

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:47 pm

WHAAAAT?! Wow, never would have expected that from Mikado! Well, that just upped my anticipation for next Friday by about 10000%! lol. The fact that Izaya is excited about what Mikado is turning into...seems kind of ominous, too. I can't help but get a kick out of Izaya, but I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. Or as far as Shizuo could throw him, for that matter. ;)

blkmage (post: 1382256) wrote:
Also, I enjoyed that one can be so awesome at the Internet that their mouse sets its path on fire.

This.

Celty being so candid about everything was pretty refreshing. Like blkmage, I was expecting it to turn into a really tiresome, drawn out ordeal, but they handled it really simply, which I liked a lot.

Didn't catch the potato chip thing - you guys are REALLY observant! lol.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Mikado wins 1337 interwebz.

All in all this was a very good episode. As brought up on Star Crossed Blog, Mikado begins as your typical average anime guy. You expect him to be nothing more than a massive cliche but he turns out to be so much more than that.
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Just one of many reasons why I LOVE this show. While it's a bit early to tell for sure, this might end up being my favorite anime.

So Mikado pulls off a showing of how awesome he is. Tremble before his might, and that of his pawns. That was a bit creepy how he described them all as pawns, though.

I like how the normally serious member of Team Van freaks out once Izaya hit it with a rock.

The potato chip thing was pretty impressive Fish. I caught on more to the fact that Mikado was worrying over some stupid thing Kida thought of, given how he was trying to stop him from asking the guy.

Kida as well, I'm going to think knows much more than he's letting on. I doubt he really thought the one dude was part of the Dollars by "intuition".

Celty+Izaya combination attack!

So, all in all, Mikado got some much needed attention and Celty is awesome, Kida hasn't shown us his true colors. So now, the only person who I'd say needs some more screen time is Anri.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:22 am

I might've missed some stuff, but the last bit of this last ep made me think, warning: possible massive spoiler[spoiler]Is Mikado the one who started the Dollars?[/spoiler]
Oh, what happened to the slasher? was it a Baccano! Or Vamp! easter egg?
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Yes, Clay, you drew the right conclusion.

The slasher, to my knowledge, originates from the Durarara!! universe, as I know it's not from Baccano!, unless Claire came to Japan or something.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Yeah, the show is 24-26 episodes, and we've really been following one out of a few plot threads. I wouldn't worry about stuff being forgotten just yet.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 am

Episode 11.

Everyone is in Dollars. Everyone.

[SIZE="7"]EVERYONE.[/SIZE]
Fish and Chips

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:49 am

Hello Everynen.

Epic episode is epic.

So Mikado set up an epic image board site eh?
Yamamaya

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:22 pm

I really don't know how to express myself for this episode. Mikado grows more epic. Everyone is in Dollars. Isaac and Malia get cameo. Celty goes mad. And we are left with cliffhanger of all cliffhangers.

That's about the best I got.
Kung_Fu_Master

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Yeah, this was a pretty beautiful episode. It was pretty heavily implied that Mikado was responsible for the existence of Dollars last week and leading up to the scene, I was expecting him to pull something big. I did not expect everyone to be in Dollars. And it seems like the grey crowds was an artistic decision made specifically with this moment in mind.

I'm much more confused about Celty's freakout at the end. Riding the motorcycle down the building was pretty reminiscent of Takeda Shingen scaling a wall in Sengoku Basara though. That is, it was pretty awesome.

It seems like this arc is coming to a close pretty soon. I look forward to what mysteries we'll solve next. In particular, the revelation that Mikado is secretly amazing indicates to me that Kida and Anri might similarly be much more than they appear and we've already got a hint of Kida's past involvements.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 pm

ISAAAAAAACCCC!!!! MIRIAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

So that showcases exactly why Japanese animation is fantastic. And why everyone should go buy a copy of Baccano! so the light novels get licensed. So those can sell well and Durarara!! can get licensed.

So, I would like to claim that I called Mikado being freakin' awesome pretty early.

As for Kida being awesome, something tells me he's one of the first people that started doing good as a Dollar. Or maybe not, I won't hold to that theory.

So I freaking love this show.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. This was SO cool! And like everyone else, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Kida has to reveal, since, given recent developments, it's sure to be epic.

And what's going to happen now to Mikado? He seems like he's trying to be a good guy...but absolute power corrupts absolutely...and he's very much a normal, flawed human. It seems like a lot of the reasons behind him starting this are, well, he was bored and wanted to see if he could do it. Anyone else wondering if he's channeling Light Yagami, or is it just me?

blkmage (post: 1384036) wrote: I'm much more confused about Celty's freakout at the end. Riding the motorcycle down the building was pretty reminiscent of Takeda Shingen scaling a wall in Sengoku Basara though. That is, it was pretty awesome.

LOL...Celty's ride down the building actually reminded me of The Man From Snowy River...geez, I'm such a geek. But yeah, I agree. I mean, she FINALLY found her head...so she goes on a killing spree? What the heck? And why can people all of a sudden hear Celty now? Is it because her head is so close by? Is it because she's snapped and some power she forgot she had woke up and took over?

Isaac and Miria were awesome as ever! That made me so happy. Dang it, Funimation had better license this, if for no other reason then they need to keep J Michael Tatum and Caitlyn Glass as Isaac and Miria's dub voices. :lol:

And Shinra proposed to Celty! My inner hopeless romantic turned to mush...but what's going to happen now that Celty's lost her mind, along with her head?!
Wyntre Rose

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1384096) wrote:And what's going to happen now to Mikado? He seems like he's trying to be a good guy...but absolute power corrupts absolutely...and he's very much a normal, flawed human. It seems like a lot of the reasons behind him starting this are, well, he was bored and wanted to see if he could do it. Anyone else wondering if he's channeling Light Yagami, or is it just me?

No offense, but I'm not seeing this one at all. So far, he's tried to bring a murderer to justice by much more legitimate methods and he started a gang of people who clean up graffiti and such...Sounds just like Light!...Oh wait. I don't see him channeling Light, given that he didn't have the Dollars just kill Namie. Sorry if I come off as angry, I just strongly dislike Light(and his "plans") and am very fond of Mikado. I think claiming he'll be corrupted because he has followers like claiming a general for the good guys will go evil simply because he's a general.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Not sure what's supposed to be confusing about Celty's meltdown. We already know her head's important to her. She's been looking for it for twenty years you guys. And here it is, right in front of her, living its own life (apparently). Everything she wants and has wanted for longer than some of you have been alive is right here...and the one thing she can't do is just take it.

So yeah, she's sort of emotionally unstable right at this moment. Just a little. As for Yagiri's goons, I'd guess she probably agreed to take them out as an earlier part of the plan, though perhaps not.

And Mikado is nothing like Light, nor is he likely to become so.

For starters, he's not a tool.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Given what we've seen and the strategic use of symbols, I'm about 90% sure that Kida was involved with the Yellow Scarves and not Dollars.

The problem with comparing Mikado and Light is ignoring their personalities before they stumbled upon power. Light was a bored overachiever and was very good at putting on a mask when dealing with others. Mikado was bored, but he' s really an average kid who's kind of meek. Light thought he was superior to everyone and would be able to make better choices than the rest of society. Mikado wants everyone to be nice.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Mikado really isn't all that similar to Light. Mikado does not possess a god complex nor the will to kill(at least not yet).
Yamamaya

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 pm

The voice thing is just convenience and possibly, occasionally her thoughts. If you watch she still types on the phone or a computer during all her 'dialogue'.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews