Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:42 am

I guess she finds a way to yell... maybe she's so mad her voice actually comes through. There's a sort of echo on the sound when she's yelling there. That's the first time that's happened in the series so far.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:47 am

Dear Mithrandir,

Please turn CAA chat into this.

Best regards,
blkmage
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 am

You found that?

I would like this too Mith.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:03 am

P.S. I was kidding; I know that we cannot implement such a chat here because being in street gangs is frowned upon.

However, it is possible to create channels, soooo.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:25 pm

So having just read the prologue of the first light novel and a bit of the manga, I find it interesting that it reveals that Seiji killed Mika Harima from the beginning.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Hohenheim » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Caught up with the 'Durarara' episodes, having just seen episode 12. I don't know if anyone else has seen it yet (I have noticed that most here watch the series on crunchyroll, while I saw it on a different site), so I won't give away spoilers. However, I have to say that this may be the best episode I've seen yet.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Episode 12.

And now it's time for our coffee break.

Did you like the episode? Are you enjoying the show so far?

Ordinarily I'd call this the midpoint of the series, but with how it's working out I almost wonder if it isn't actually the end of the prologue. It wouldn't be unthinkable for a Narita adaption to have a prologue that took up the first half of the story. That status quo has changed so much in 12 episodes that anything could happen in the remaining half of he series.

So Yagiris Pharmaceuticals is done for. Nebula's bought the company name, Namie on Izaya's payroll now, and Seiji has consistently the weirdest relationship in the show - a show I should briefly remind you all includes a black market doctor with the hots for a headless Irish faerie who rides a motorcycle.

But it's not all bad, Mikado's getting cozy with Anri and Shizou still wants to kill Izaya, and Izaya is apparently an atheist who wants to go to Heaven...or something? We'll probably figure out the rules he plays that board game by faster than what he's trying to do.

According to my secondhand information, episode 13 will have a new OP (and possibly ED). You don't have to believe me though, so it's entirely up to you whether you TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME or want to ROAR OUT LOUDER.
Fish and Chips

Postby goldenspines » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:01 pm

(random silly note: I was totally in the process of posting the episode link but my internet was being dumb and not letting me take a good screencap. Oh well, better luck next time.)

I will take tea, not coffee, during the break please.

Going off of what Fish said, this whole story arc of 12 episodes seemed to be setting up for something bigger. At least we can hope for something like that.

I think Celty is making a mistake going for the creepy doctor Shinra, but there's someone for everyone, I suppose. XD; Speaking of which, Senji does indeed win for creepiest relationship.

Izaya continues to be confusing. Not sure what he's up to and if he has a goal in mind at all besides amusing himself. I guess we will have it wait and see.

Poor Kida, will he ever end up with the girl?

I will miss the OP and ED (if they do indeed replace them). 8C
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:14 pm

So my sources tell me that we've pretty much cleared book one. They also mention that the show has been rearranging events or covering them in such a way that we've also made decent progress into books two and three.

I am highly skeptical of what they're replacing Uragiri no Yuuyaku with; they'll probably do fine with whatever's taking the place of TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME though.

About relationships. Mikado's 'you guys are messed up, but I guess that works out, huh' remarks were pretty great. Shinra is really only creepy in the sense that he's into the headless ladies. Otherwise, he's one of the most insightful and rational characters in the show.

And I guess we were all momentarily tricked for a bit. Of course head transplants don't work, what were we thinking?

But yeah, this is still the awesome show that we started out with. The only show this year that's impressed me as much was the first episode of Gundam Unicorn. I don't see anything coming up in spring that'll be topping it except for, perhaps, the FMA finale.

Another good sign for the show is that sales remain strong. At this point, it's doing slightly better than FMA Brotherhood did in the same state, with the release of the second volume. The first volume got sales in following weeks, which is always a good sign, so I think we can expect about 20k per volume in total, which is really good. We're talking 'easily in the top ten of the year for sales' good.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:22 pm

The reveal at the beginning caught me completely off guard, I admit. I hadn't even considered that. It's amazing what plastic surgery can do. Izaya's conversation at the end was...interesting...but I'm uncertain where it's actually going or if it even made much sense in context. He's attempting to connect Celtic and Norse mythology?

Also, there won't actually be a free episode next week, since no episode aired this week. Just a heads up if anyone didn't know this.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 pm

So we were all fooled. Silly us...

So is anyone else shipping Shizuo and Celty, or is it just me? Probably just me...

'It took thirty seconds to the girl. Thirty five seconds to find his friend hitting on the girl. Thirty eight seconds for him to kick his friend'

So while the last episode pulled of the awesome meter to the extreme, this one pulled some heartwarming and intrigue at the same time. I'm seriously hoping this show gets a second season.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1385750) wrote:I'm seriously hoping this show gets a second season.

Or, y'know... the rest of the first season could air...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 am

I didn't just get one right, all three of my theories were correct? Oh happy day.

As for this episode; Shinra and Celty are happy, Mikado is still awesome but how far will he go, Kida still hits on every woman, I don't know how to describe Senji and his love, Shizou and Izaya are still the same with one wanting to kill the other and that other having more secrets than the Vatican. I'm glad I started watching this series.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:38 am

mechana2015 (post: 1385751) wrote:Or, y'know... the rest of the first season could air...

Yeah, but, it's not like they'll cover all seven light novels in the next twelve episodes. I mean, we're through one, and have a bit of two and three through.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Hohenheim » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:22 pm

What with the secrets that have been exposed already, I'm curious to see how the rest of this series turns out. Maybe we will see more of Simon's past, and Anri's as well. I'd also really like to know more about Izaya and how he became the way he is now; maybe then I'd know how his chess/checkers/shogi game works...
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Yo, I was just looking around the forums and I saw this topic. It seems like a lot of people like this show, so it made me kinda want to check it out. The only thing is, I want to know the content first. Could you tell me anything objectable? Thanks a lot! ^^
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:26 pm

What do you personally think of as objectionable? There's a lot of different opinions on that, so providing a more defined answer would make it easier to answer the question.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1385972) wrote:What do you personally think of as objectionable? There's a lot of different opinions on that, so providing a more defined answer would make it easier to answer the question.

Just tell me anything sexual, if it has nudity, anything against what Christians believe, witchcraft, gore.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby ich1990 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Every episode brings me new happiness.

In this case it was the fact that the lock pick set used by the girl-with-scars was an accurate representation of the real thing and was used entirely properly.

And pretty much everything else in the episode as well.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby knightlee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:17 am

Wow. I'm really loving the art and animation. I just watched the first episode and I'm definitely hooked. Am I the only one that thinks of Batman everytime I see the black bike?
A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer. ~Karl Kraus
Find me @ MAL.net (olivecrayola)
knightlee

Postby blkmage » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Sup guys. Unfortunately, there is no new episode tomorrow for this week. However, since episode 13 has aired, in lieu of watching an episode, you can loop the new OP for twenty minutes or something. Notice that Brains Base has broken out the Baccano font for this OP and that there are some interesting faces within.

And while we are taking a break for this week, let me remind you about what is up with this thread, especially for those of you who are new and have joined us recently.

This thread is for talking about Durarara!!, a new show by the team that brought you Baccano! based on the light novel series by Narita Ryohgo. It began airing in Winter 2010 and will continue to air in Spring 2010. Since it is currently airing, we are watching it as it airs together and convening in this thread to discuss it. Since we are cheap, we will be watching the free, delayed airing on Crunchyroll.

What this means is, if you are not watching the Crunchyroll free stream and are one week ahead, you are not to mention anything about it at all, even the fact that you are watching it at all.

Episodes are streamed for free on Fridays at 11:00 am PST. If you're the first one to talk about the new free episode, please kindly throw up a link to the Crunchyroll video.

Now, feel free to speculate based on and over-analyze the new OP.
blkmage

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Yea, Slashers back. I completely forgot about her/him/it/whatever you call an alien or monster or curse or whatever that is.

Theory time. Unfortunately this being sort of a arch end and the fact we know more about the mysteries of the universe than we know about Izaya (or maybe not), I only have one.

[Spoiler] I believe Anri to be the Slasher. Reasons: No one in this series is innocent, and unless the Saki girl happens to not be staying in the hospital like we think, Anri is also the only one to fit the size. As for why she's doing this: Fighter of Justice(my #3), Alien(U never know. #4), Curse(on her or the sword or both. #2), Or my top guess that she just likes too.[/Spoiler]
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:35 pm

So thank you blkmage, for linking that. That makes the highlight of my day.

So, as opposed to the last one, which was more of a high energy get you excited, this is more like the Rewrite or Period openings from FMA. Both are fantastic, though this is the kind that makes me think there are even greater things to come.

This pretty much washes away any doubt that they're moving on to Anri, and I'm guessing after 6-7 episodes they're going to switch to Kida. Tom, Saki(whom reminds me I need to rewatch all of this, Shizuo's brother, the guy who might be Shinra's dad, and a policemen named Kinnosuke have all been added, and no one has been taken off, unless you count Rio, whom I was hoping would become a bit more important, but by the looks of it, they've got plenty of other characters to either introduce or expand on.

The scene with Team Van in the bathroom is insanely hilarious. Especially Dotachin/Kyohei's face.

The slasher also is returning, as predicted. No surprise there.

Simon got a (slightly) more serious part in it, so I'm guessing some action from him. Which I'm completely okay with.

So I'm guessing by the tone of this opening, minus the bathroom scene, we're going to be moving into some darker and grander scale stuff. Less time about Mikado finding Anri's shoes, and more gang warfare or shady corporations or Nebula.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 pm

New favorite character.

Calling it right now.
Fish and Chips

Postby Kurama » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:07 am

I watched the entire series in one day and fell in love with it. Been doing my research and everything. I greatly enjoyed it and I am truly looking forward to the next season. ^^ *is even working on a Celty cosplay at the moment ^^))
Kurama

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Also, new theory. Given that Saki has a picture on her phone of her and Kida and Kida is shown in the new opening looking at a picture of her on his phone, I'm going to guess the two had a relationship in the past, and due to Kida's involvement in the Yellow Scarves, she probably got hurt and he's really ashamed of something that's his fault,
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Hohenheim » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Just saw episode 13. The new OP is good, but nothing can replace the old one. 'Roar out Louder!'

Speculation Time:
[spoiler] Some might think that Anri is the Slasher, but I don't think so. I think it is more likely that she just witnessed an attack by the Slasher. Besides, we see through her POV that it is a separate entity. If the Slasher has anything to do with Anri, it might be that it is controlled by her (perhaps subconsciously no less).[/spoiler]

Ok, so overall, great episode. Once again, Seiji maintains his creepiness, and Izaya his weirdness. Also, what is with Celty? She has faced the Slasher, murderers, gangs...and she's afraid of the cops?

Hohenheim

Postby blkmage » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Come on, guys, it's only been like 48 hours since I posted this again.
This thread is for talking about Durarara!!, a new show by the team that brought you Baccano! based on the light novel series by Narita Ryohgo. It began airing in Winter 2010 and will continue to air in Spring 2010. Since it is currently airing, we are watching it as it airs together and convening in this thread to discuss it. Since we are cheap, we will be watching the free, delayed airing on Crunchyroll.

What this means is, if you are not watching the Crunchyroll free stream and are one week ahead, you are not to mention anything about it at all, even the fact that you are watching it at all.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:38 pm

The new OP is low key this time around, I like that. It's like a familiarity where "we all know each other now and I don't have to be smash bang wow! anymore." I don't think this will take away from the story though. If anything, I have hope it will keep getting better and better.
Thanks for the link to the OP, Blkmage. ^___^ I can hardly wait for the next episode to be released on Crunchyroll~
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Episode 13.

In the six months time since the infamous Dollars incident, a rumored figure known only as the Slasher has become increasingly prolific in their late night butchering. Strange thing is, apparently nobody's died yet - simply hacked up or cut open. Interesting~.

Bunch of new stuff happening in this episode, though per usual in small, easily digestible pieces. Shinra's dad Shingen shows up, and it turns out he's actually kind of a dork, which took me by surprise; at least he holds a somewhat convincing reason for wearing a gas mask, unlike 99% of gas mask wearers in today's popular society.

And Kinnosuke Kuzuhara, voiced by Ladd Russo, who I should note is apparently so terrifyingly awesome that he scares a member of the Unseelie Court. Those of you up on your Celtic folklore should know what a huge deal this is.

Also, Izaya understands Russian. This will be important later.
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews