Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm

If it makes you feel better, it took me approximately 5 1/2 hours to get it to work for me because our internet wanted to be insanely lame.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:29 am

I'm near finished with Baccano!, so I am freakin' pumped for this show now.

The horsey sounds made by Selty's bike were just creepy as all get out o_O

And I might be looked at funny... but I like this OP better than Baccano's, I was never a Jazz/ Big Band fan. And I would pay actual money to get a Horo cutout like that... although I'm positive my friends would mock me to death for going full otaku.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Additional watcher acquired.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Episode 1 was mostly setup so I don't have I lot to comment on, but I like the feel so far.

Suzuhito Yasuda is a pretty good artist. I've seen quite a lot of his character designs recently by playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Most of what I had to comment on has been said already, but I'll add a few things I noted while watching.

Despite the fact they introduced 2/3rds of the many many characters, I didn't find the episode too confusing. Obviously, there were a lot of opened doors to mysteries; but if we didn't have that, we wouldn't have much of an anime. XD

In all honesty, when I first heard the music during the clip when Mikado was waiting at the station, I knew I was going to like this series. That was my favorite music yet, and this was only the first episode.

The animation and art style are spiffy and clean. Like SubtleDoctor mentioned, I really liked the gray crowds in contrast to the characters that were interacting or "vital" to this particular story. I really love the fact that even though the art style is the same as Baccano's, I can't really relate one character from Durarara!! back to one from Baccano!. This was one of my fears in watching this series, I'm glad to see they didn't disappoint.

So, I know it's anime and anything can happen, but am I the only one who thinks the Headless Rider looks like a woman? XD; Regardless, this character started out seeming like an antagonist to me (and may still be), but it seems like s/he/it has some other motives in mind. Either that, or they just love riding around town giving people a scare. XDD;

And,
Finally,

"Ryuugamine Mikado" basically translates as "Dragon's Peak Emperor", so he gets some funny looks whenever people hear his name.

This makes more sense now. Pen name. LOL

Also, Mamoru Miyano's voice in this series makes the fangirl inside of me quite content.

Looking forward to next week's episode~
goldenspines

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:55 pm

So, I know it's anime and anything can happen, but am I the only one who thinks the Headless Rider looks like a woman? XD; Regardless, this character started out seeming like an antagonist to me (and may still be), but it seems like s/he/it has some other motives in mind. Either that, or they just love riding around town giving people a scare. XDD

I also think it's a chick, but I don't really think s/he's a complete antagonist. In this episode, they didn't act like one (and the tire-->face thing made me giggle).
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:00 pm

I'd always assumed it was a woman, based on the body shape. I never really questioned it and it hadn't ever occurred to me that it's weird that the dullahan isn't a guy. And, well, I can't say I know any guys who'd wear a nekomimi helmet.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm fairly certain in every article I read regarding the series, trying to find out if it was worth watching, that they called the rider "her."

Actually, let me go check...

putting it in spoilers just in case, Wikipedia says that [spoiler]she[/spoiler] came to Japan for... various reasons.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:41 am

So does anyone else wonder if the girl the Headless Rider saved is going to remain a character? Like Donnie or one of Ladd's gang from Baccano!. Where they're not important enough for the opening, but still a important to the show.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 am

Man with this kind of show, I'm sure she'll end up used in some way we can't guess... even if it's only for a minor role to move the plot forward somehow.

I just showed my buddies the first three episodes of Baccano, too... I thought I was going to strangle them with all the theories they were constantly making about everything. Mostly wrong too...

Falx

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:50 am

Finally got around to watching the first episode...and I'm looking forward to following this! Art and music are great, characters look really fun, and I'm a total seiyuu fangirl, so Miyano Mamoru made me squee...and I was very excited to hear Masaya Matsukaze (probably best known for Kyouya in Ouran and Mikami Teru in Death Note) as the bad guy with glasses.

The next episode teaser also made me all giddy inside for next week's episode! Can't wait to see where this goes!

Edit: Thanks for the explanation of Mikado's name, blkmage. That makes SO much more sense, now!!
Wyntre Rose

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 am

Does the art style of this series remind anybody else of the art style of Eureka Seven?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:38 am

I hadn't thought of it before, but now that you mention it...yeah. I can see that.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Mmm, maybe a little, but I don't think so. The only thing about Eureka Seven that stands out to me is the hair, which doesn't seem to be similair to Durarara!!.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:26 am

Falx (post: 1366701) wrote:I'm fairly certain in every article I read regarding the series, trying to find out if it was worth watching, that they called the rider "her."

Actually, let me go check...

putting it in spoilers just in case, Wikipedia says that [spoiler]she[/spoiler] came to Japan for... various reasons.
Yes, Celty is a girl.

It's not a spoiler that I can think of. In fact it's fairly obvious if you just study her form a bit, what with that full-body form-fitting suit she wears. I couldn't say anything more though.

Anyway, solid opening episode. Nothing happened, and yet an awful lot happened in that nothing, if you catch my drift. I also enjoyed them using gray crowds to indicate who's important and who isn't.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:38 am

But I wonder how a shadow that manages to occupy clothing is able to even have a gender.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm pretty sure she's not just a shadow. That would be very uninteresting.
blkmage

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Finally got a chance to watch the episode.

I liked it as a set up episode. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going, and I really like the visual style.

I also enjoyed the Baccano! easter eggs, they were pretty fun.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 pm

I also enjoyed the Baccano! easter eggs, they were pretty fun.

Ooooo! I didn't catch any of those. What were they?
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1367065) wrote:Ooooo! I didn't catch any of those. What were they?

There were two that I spotted, both were in the background:

An Isaac and Miria Poster, and in a night time scene as the characters are walking down the street, a screen is playing one of the train-top conflicts.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1366761) wrote:Does the art style of this series remind anybody else of the art style of Eureka Seven?

I can see what you mean, but I think a better comparison is to the most recent PS2 Persona games.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1366580) wrote: (and the tire-->face thing made me giggle).

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was kind of funny. :D

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby That Dude » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:14 pm

I had no clue what this was about and it looked kinda lame until I read your post blk. Now it's got me quite interested.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:33 pm

That Dude (post: 1367527) wrote:I had no clue what this was about and it looked kinda lame until I read your post blk. Now it's got me quite interested.
I will now make disparaging remarks about your glasses prescription.

Anyway, something else that sort of caught my attention between this and Baccano!, I'm enjoying how Brains Base handles their mooks. They're all pretty nameless and light on descriptors, yet they always manage to make them memorable and distinctive, even if their only purpose in the series is to get brutally killed off the same episode they're introduced by a more important character. I like that.

See kidnappers.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

I guess it comes from doing a few shows (Kamichu, Kure-nai, Natsume Yuujinchou) where the main characters are running into new people (and non-human people) every episode.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Sup guys, I'll just leave this here to remind you that tomorrow is coming.

blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:23 pm

blkmage (post: 1367711) wrote:Sup guys, I'll just leave this here to remind you that tomorrow is coming.

This is rather terrible, but I really really want that helmet. I'm not kidding. (and a motorcycle to go with it :D )

Also
Anyway, something else that sort of caught my attention between this and Baccano!, I'm enjoying how Brains Base handles their mooks. They're all pretty nameless and light on descriptors, yet they always manage to make them memorable and distinctive, even if their only purpose in the series is to get brutally killed off the same episode they're introduced by a more important character. I like that.

See kidnappers.

Adding to this, I think it makes you maybe like the character in a way and feel some emotion if they do get brutally killed. That's how it is for me, at least. I mean, sure the guys were bad, but we'll never forget the dude who got a tire to the face. And I have to say I was a bit sad to see the kidnappers go in the end.
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Episode 2.

Really took a different tone than the first episode. I liked it. Kind of divisive, I'd imagine, but I think it worked, stirring up the "Formula" you assumed you'd be getting. I honestly didn't expect it to take this turn, so it was a pleasant surprise.

This episode is basically the first one, or during the first one, this time focusing more on the dullahan, the kidnapped girl, and our parka wearing information guy. Sort of a "Meanwhile, 30 minutes ago and 30 minutes later" kind of deal. A little colder, a little darker, pretty compelling.

Have I mentioned I love the music in this show?
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

So my internet connection at school is utterly and horribly slow, but now that I'm home for a brief trip, I've FINALLY gotten around to watching episode 1! I think I'll really enjoy this--I haven't seen episode 2 yet, but as long as I'm home, I'll probably watch it before long! The plot seems like it could develop to be a very interesting one, so I'm excited to see where it goes!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby blkmage » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Yeah, the second episode was not what I expected at all. I was disappointed when I realized that it would be a retread of the first episode, but it turned out pretty great in the end. Most of the initial disappointment was because I'd been anticipating the rest of the crazy cast to show up, and well, Izaya and the dullahan filled that role quite well.

I've also read that the events in this episode were a lot of interpretation and interpolation of stuff that happens in the novels and is not actually covered, which makes it an interesting choice to include in the show.

And I like how the dullahan uses a smartphone to communicate, although I've never seen anyone type into their phone like that before.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews