Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Reon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Watched three times and its still not boring. Hmm.
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1372713) wrote:I can't get on Crunchyroll, but I was referring to the video blkmage posted, so I don't know if that was a miscommunication or if that video is also on Cruncyroll.

No, that was me badly misunderstanding your perfectly understandable posting. Sorry.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 pm

So I finally got around to watching Durarara. I love it.

None of the characters really leave a bad taste in my mouth. They just seem so fresh and alive.

BTW episode 4 really made me lol. Nothing like hitting on a girl without a head eh?:lol:

That vid was amazing blkmage. Durarara set to Zelda music ftw.
Yamamaya

Postby Wave » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:56 am

Watched the 3 episode Last night. Hilarrages!! I like the Russian sushi seller!

\/\//\\///
••• ––– •••

You have heard that the law of Moses says "Do not commit adultry." But I say, anyone who even looks at a women with lust in his eys has already committed adultery with her in his heart
Mathew 5:27-29
Wave

Postby blkmage » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Episode 5 all up in heres.

More revelations about the characters, this time illuminating more on Mikado and Anri and a lot more on Kida. Also, another mystery added with the slasher. I really enjoyed how the episode was arranged and Kida's secret narrative that he's playing in his head re: his relationship with Mikado and Anri.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume that Kida used to be involved with the Yellow Scarves given the way he was ready to take on those three guys when he was cornered and how his colour seems to be yellow. The question is how he was involved.

Best moment in the episode goes to Celty, with the revelation of her fear of aliens.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:37 am

"Bang."

Spoken like a true space cowboy.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:04 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1373431) wrote:Image

"Bang."

Spoken like a true space cowboy.

Not having watched that yet (YES I KNOW), this was my callback:

blkmage

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:06 am

blkmage (post: 1373413) wrote:Best moment in the episode goes to Celty, with the revelation of her fear of aliens.

Celty, your a bringer of death and your afraid of aliens. :shake:
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby MasterDias » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Episode watchers have been quick to point out that there appear to be two slashers. The one who attacked Celty has a different body shape than the one who attacked those thugs at the end.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:55 am

Episode 6.

So it turns out our ragtag Otaku van group is actually Dollars, or one branch thereof. I actually didn't think these guys would be too important outside of being immortal side characters, but there you go. Strangely enough, I had pegged Tosuga as the straight man of this outfit, but I guess that service really goes to Dotachin.

Also, some selective browsing has led me to believe Walker and Erika are actually quite the twisted little group of sadists, but Brains Base seems to have seen fit to trim that part a bit, or at least push it to another episode.

Next up is my boy Shizou. Wonderful.

Also,

[SIZE="7"]MONEY~.[/SIZE]
Fish and Chips

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Okay, after this episode I have a revision and an update on some theories

1. Mikado is the creator of Dollars
2. The girl with the neck scar is not celty's head but instead celty's head is still in the tank we saw.
3. Neck scar girl is the friend of the school girl with glasses (why can't I remember her name?) who tried to get the guy to love her by looking like celty's head who he is in love with.
4. "Fatty tuna for the win."
Kung_Fu_Master

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Let's just say episode 7 was awesome and leave it at that.

Now episode 6.
I loved this episode. We finally got insight into who the Dollars actually are. It does definitely represents Orihara's personality well.

Also what was with that Italian? Talk about negative sterotypes.
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Yeah, I was pretty surprised that the van gang is going to be playing a non-trivial role in the story. But I am glad that they are as amazing as I'd hoped. In retrospect, I guess the fact that they got name cards in the opening sequence should have been a giveaway. Also enjoyed the nod at Celty's continuing interest in keeping herself safe from aliens.

Fish and Chips (post: 1374829) wrote:Also, some selective browsing has led me to believe Walker and Erika are actually quite the twisted little group of sadists, but Brains Base seems to have seen fit to trim that part a bit, or at least push it to another episode.

Kung_Fu_Master (post: 1374840) wrote:1. Mikado is the creator of Dollars
2. The girl with the neck scar is not celty's head but instead celty's head is still in the tank we saw.

I'm interested in your rationale for (1). For (2), I think she does have Celty's (or more correctly, not her own) head, mostly because everyone who goes up to her thinking it's her gets a close look and realizes it's not her.

Yamamaya (post: 1374889) wrote:Let's just say episode 7 was awesome and leave it at that.

Now episode 6.
I loved this episode. We finally got insight into who the Dollars actually are. It does definitely represents Orihara's personality well.

Also what was with that Italian? Talk about negative sterotypes.

What did I say about the mention of episodes that people can't watch yet?

Anyway, my instincts are telling me that there's much more to the Dollars than what's been explained so far and that because of how seemingly obvious it might seem, Izaya isn't its creator. As for hilarious foreigner stereotypes, it's "lol japan".
blkmage

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 am

blkmage (post: 1375010) wrote:I'm interested in your rationale for (1). For (2), I think she does have Celty's (or more correctly, not her own) head, mostly because everyone who goes up to her thinking it's her gets a close look and realizes it's not her.

Well these are just a hypothesis I'm not behind them 100% (maybe just 75% in total)

1. Out of all the characters that are given OP blocks Ryuugamine is one that we know the least. Now I am only thinking he might be because in Baccano! (so I've heard. I haven't got that far) [spoiler]there has a guy that appeared to be a weakling and a coward but was the leader of a group of delinquents and since this was made by the same guy there may be that possibility.[/spoiler]

2. If the head in the tank is celty's then number 3 could answer that and also why people don't recognize her face. There is a possibility that they did some head swap but to me it seems a little less likely.
Kung_Fu_Master

Postby Lynna » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:37 am

How old do you need to be to watch this?
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Lynna (post: 1375068) wrote:How old do you need to be to watch this?

Atm, I would say its 13+. Not a whole lot of blood and death yet and there isn't a lot of fanservice either.
Yamamaya

Postby goldenspines » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1375167) wrote:Atm, I would say its 13+. Not a whole lot of blood and death yet and there isn't a lot of fanservice either.

Adding to this, so far, there is some violence, some cursing, and one scene of nudity (in the 4th episode and it is vital to the plot and not shown in a sexual or fanservice way).

Though, because of the scene with nudity, I'd put it up at a 17+ so far. We'll have to see how the rest of the series plays out.
goldenspines

Postby Reon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Good timing to put this up with the last comment. I love episode three, went back to watch scenes... what the heck is happening with the Dollars guy at 13:40-45? ... He has his tongue out and his hands in his pocket, I can guess but really? Anything I'm missing, I feel like I'm watching a Disney movie with one of those hidden moments.
[color="DimGray"]
[/color]
Reon

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Reon (post: 1375488) wrote:Good timing to put this up with the last comment. I love episode three, went back to watch scenes... what the heck is happening with the Dollars guy at 13:40-45? ... He has his tongue out and his hands in his pocket, I can guess but really? Anything I'm missing, I feel like I'm watching a Disney movie with one of those hidden moments.
The scene is exactly what it looks like.

Nobody say these guys were high brow cultured-types.

They're also not really Dollars.
Fish and Chips

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Very fun episode. Loved Shinra accidentally giving Celty his grocery list instead of the van's license plate number...and the Dollars-otaku introducing themselves to the drugged head hunter to the tune of Puccini's Nessun Dorma. :grin: That's probably just cuz I'm an opera geek, though. ;)

Looking forward to Shizuo's episode this Friday! "But I hate violence!!" Uh, right sweetie, we all believe you...*backs away*
Wyntre Rose

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:08 pm

So does Crunchyroll hate Opera or what? I was able to watch the episode to the 6:49 mark, where at the episode stopped, it played an ad, played the ad a SECOND time, then kicked me off the video entirely.

It is very frustrating.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Reon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:18 pm

It gave me a quick laugh - not as much as the first youtube video shared (which I still watch) but hey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejU_L8_O1RA

Torture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XpwptVJd2c&feature=video_response

I laughed =D lol Must have seen the original SNL, if not, I linked it second (vid 13+ end of 2nd video the word jack*** is in it at one part. churches do remakes of the video, don't find it inappropriate)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLN0QJKpqKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKBsc7E9poo
[color="DimGray"]
[/color]
Reon

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:36 am

Episode 7.

YOU GONNA GET

So this episode was enlightening. Seems Shizou really is a peaceful, thoughtful sort of guy, he just also has the shortest temper in the world. And superhuman strength. I can deal with that.

This episode actually makes me dislike Izaya though, who I somewhat enjoyed prior to this point. Seeing him sets off alarm bells in Shizou's head, setting in motion the unstoppable cycle of violence. What a tragedy.

Wonder what that reporter was up to.
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:15 pm

I may have laughed more times with this episode than any prior.

[spoiler]Snapping the lollipop stick was funny enough, but when he crushed it out under his shoe, I lost it.[/spoiler]
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Did anyone else see all the yellow scarfs this episode? There were a lot.
Kung_Fu_Master

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Well, so now we know (sort of) why Shizuo is so ticked off at Izaya all the time...and who can blame him, really? I agree with Fish and Chips. Izaya left a bad taste in my mouth this episode.

Shizuo's little pre-violence ritual is unique. I wonder if he started smoking just so he'd have something to hand that he could break in half and crush underfoot whenever he blows his top? :P

I like the friendship between him and Celty - it's probably a relief to him that there's someone he can't kill accidentally during his blind rages, too.

And Shinra...is so strange. lol. I like him more every time I see him, though.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Reon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm

I thought Shinra was a girl at first (the first time Shizou was hospitalized, after that scene its obvious). It took watching it the second time with a friend to be like... OH!!!
[color="DimGray"]
[/color]
Reon

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Good ole Shizuo. He's probably one of the most unique violent characters I've seen in anime in a while. It appears he can use his adrenaline at any time whatsoever.

With all these superhuman people wandering around, I wonder how that secret clinic is connected. Did they create these individuals?

Izaya is an antihero through and through, that much is certain. He can be good, he can be bad, but he mostly does things for his own selfish reasons.
Yamamaya

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1376590) wrote:Izaya is an antihero through and through, that much is certain. He can be good, he can be bad, but he mostly does things for his own selfish reasons.
An antihero is someone who is heroic despite possessing unheroic attributes.

How does Izaya qualify at all?
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm

I hate violence.

This was a fantastic episode. It has certainly made me consider Izaya's standing in my ranking of favourite characters, while Shizuo shot up. Izaya really is a jerk and Shizuo is far more interesting than just violence man (didn't really like Ladd that much for that reason). Now I need to decide whether to go Shizu-chan or Unicorn for my avatar/sig combo once Canada's done basking in Olympic glory.

These introduction episodes have been fantastic and it's been one hell of a buildup, but hopefully, we'll be getting into more weird stuff and/or solving mysteries soon, because I am ready to be blown away.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews