Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby goldenspines » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1367888) wrote: Have I mentioned I love the music in this show?

I don't think this can be mentioned enough, to tell you the truth. The music is nothing short of brilliant.

Unlike the rest of you who are "let's predict how the next episode is gonna go down" (XP), I didn't have any predetermined ideas for what the 2nd episode was going to be like. Though, that's not to say I wasn't surprised by a few characters' involvements that were revealed. On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised to meet more of the characters and to see what their role may turn out to be.
And personally, I like the explanation of some of what happened in the first episode. Well, not explanation as much as set from a different point of view. Since you still have the first episode events still fresh in your mind, you can follow what's happening, plot wise, much easier. Regardless of this "retelling", the series seems like it's still flowing rather well; therefore, I'm satisfied.

Also, I'm starting to like Celty more and more though, as well as her spiffy flip out of the sleeve cell phone.
goldenspines

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:18 pm

This episode really wowed me. I loved seeing everything happen from the different characters' pov. It was pretty obvious there was something else behind that kidnapping - besides just a thrill, or money, or what have you - but I sure wasn't expecting what it really was! Definitely going to keep my eye on this anime!

And yes, the music is amazing.
Wyntre Rose

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:35 pm

I was fairly impressed with how well they managed to characterize the rider with just body language and a phone. You get a good sense of her personality just from that.

I am curious as to if the narrator is meant to be her. This didn't immediately occur to me, but I did see some speculation on another site.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Falx » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:32 am

goldenspines (post: 1367931) wrote:Also, I'm starting to like Celty more and more though, as well as her spiffy flip out of the sleeve cell phone.

I used to want the phone from The Matrix...

Now I want one like that. :D
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:34 am

Youtube: Full version of the OP theme from Theatre Brook.

Wow.

By the way, you don't really get to hear it in this piece, but TB has a really talented bassist, one of the best I've heard out of Japan. The lead singer is also one heck of a guitarist (you do get some of that.)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Falx (post: 1367992) wrote:I used to want the phone from The Matrix...

Now I want one like that. :D

And unlike the phone from The Matrix, you can probably get Celty's. Oh, how things have changed in ten years.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm

So I just finished episode 2, and like blkmage, I was a bit disappointed at first, but then I ended up loving it. Celty is even more awesome now too.

And I think every time Kida speaks I like him more and more.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:38 pm

blkmage (post: 1368083) wrote:And unlike the phone from The Matrix, you can probably get Celty's. Oh, how things have changed in ten years.

Actually, you could get the Matrix phone!

The Samsung SPH-N270.

And with Celty's I'm more interested in the wrist spring, really.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Very Suikoden III, Durarara!!, very Suikoden III.

The show continues to to fresh and unpredictable. Great episode. Well, my last post is proving to be sort of wrong but sort of right. The Information Broker isn't necessarily trying to replug disaffected/fragmented/isolated people back into the community, but that is sort of what happened thanks to the rider. The strong theme of turning the self outward to embrace the other/the world continues from the first episode (called it :cool:). I am a big fan of this kind of message, so the show is really resonating with me on that note. I am totally intrigued by the Broker tho...can't get a good grip on him or how I feel about him.

Oh, and more of the blonde kid in the hoodie please.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

So I've been listening to the opening, and I glanced at the video at the part right after the sushi guy is introduced, and noticed you can see the top of the head of the girl who was going to commit suicide, Claire-style with no introduction. I wonder how important that mean she's going to be, given that Claire had similar opening appearance and [spoiler]We thought he was dead by the second episode[/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Wave » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:58 am

Was not to impressed by the first episode. Liked the second one much more. Will keep watching.

\/\//\\///
••• ––– •••

You have heard that the law of Moses says "Do not commit adultry." But I say, anyone who even looks at a women with lust in his eys has already committed adultery with her in his heart
Mathew 5:27-29
Wave

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Episode 3 is up!

The information broker just gets more and more interesting. I'm very intrigued as to where they are taking his character. Can't decide if like him or I like to hate him yet. lol.

I'm starting to wonder if Simon is putting on his accent for show, and that's why his internal monologues don't have one. When those Russian girls approached him and he paused before answering that yes, he does speak Russian, I was expecting to find out he actually doesn't speak the language at all...but I was wrong. Maybe the absence of accent just is a way to show when he's speaking and thinking?

And we finally meet the guy that throws vending machines...who certainly doesn't like the information broker, but seems to be friendly with the headless rider...

I have a feeling Kida and Mikado's friendship is gonna get a little shaky after Mikado ran off with Anri during the brawl and Kida just stood there looking shocked - even though he himself had just said something about them getting out of there not two seconds before - but Kida's quirky, so he might just brush it off, too.

All in all, a fun, and a little disturbing, episode. And I'm excited to see where it goes next!
Wyntre Rose

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Highlight of Episode 3 was Shizuo Heiwajima punching a guy's clothes off.
Although Orihara acting nuts to scare off those girls was pretty crazy too.

Also, they were dropping more anime references in the episode: Yozakura Quartet, Shana, Dokuro...

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:12 pm

And here's a link.

Ah, finally, Shizu-chan and Izaya meet! This is the sort of thing I was eagerly awaiting. More vending machines, more punching dudes, and more stomping please.

Apparently, the van-people are supposed to be huge otaku, hence, the Shana and such references (and why they were carting off a cardboard Horo).
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 pm

"Now let's go hit on girls!"

Oh my, that was quite amazing. At first, the episode was a bit confusing, but then it just became insanely awesome.

I'd state that x was my favorite character now, except I love so many of them that I wouldn't be able to choose just one.

Kida still is amazingly amazing. I always tend to love the womanizer, and Kida has a lot more going for him than just that. He's still awesome, but except for the flirting scenes ("It's not cheating if you just have a drink with the guy who hit on you!") he didn't get to do too much.

Mikado becomes cooler and cooler as this show goes on. I think I have a lot in common with him(minus the hot love interest) which may be why I like him so much, but he's awesome nonetheless.

Anri gets some lines this time, though I still wonder how the guy she's looking for is related to her.

Simon was pretty epic. I'm surprised they had him speak Russian.

I like Izaya, and I wonder if he can control yokai. Or if he's just friends with them.

Shizuo punching the guys clothes off was quite surprising. Ad the vending machine THAT SIMON CAUGHT.

All in all, great episode, this series gets better and better.
Wyntre Rose (post: 1369496) wrote:I have a feeling Kida and Mikado's friendship is gonna get a little shaky after Mikado ran off with Anri during the brawl and Kida just stood there looking shocked - even though he himself had just said something about them getting out of there not two seconds before - but Kida's quirky, so he might just brush it off, too.

I think he was more surprised that Mikado did the running off with Anri, rather than actually being angry about it.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Thrown vending machine count: 4
Stomped cell phone count: 1 (a pink one no less)

I think this episode was great for everyone; lots of action, some humor, and maybe some sort of love story forming? O: (I can dream, can't I?) My favorite song from this series came back (known as "train station" tune to me), and that made me smile.
goldenspines

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm

What I want to know more than anything is how Celty's shadow powers come into play in this series.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:29 pm

This is only the best third episode I have ever seen.

So Izaya meets Shizuo and it's love at first sight and violence, and hey, we got some cell phones destroyed and a vending machines picked up for our convenience. Fantastic.
Fish and Chips

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:39 am

goldenspines (post: 1369570) wrote:Thrown vending machine count: 4
Stomped cell phone count: 1 (a pink one no less)

I already told you how much that scene made me laugh. So crazy then suddenly seriously he says, "Stomping cell phones is no longer my hobby." I lol'd.

And the scene with Izaya and Shizuo = Epic. Just saying. Shizuo knocked the clothes off that guys back... literally! XD
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:43 pm

I was actually kinda surprised by Izaya's aptitude with a knife and his agility. Of course, I was also kinda surprised that he got hit right in the face with a vending machine instead of dodging it.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Wasn't the thing that hit Izaya just a trash can, actually?

MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 pm

That is true.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:22 pm

MasterDias (post: 1370269) wrote:Wasn't the thing that hit Izaya just a trash can, actually?

Vending machine or trash can; both would hurt if you got hit. XD
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:05 pm

A vending machine would kill you.

Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 am

I know that I'm on a 'no talking about the next ep' prohibition, since I'm watching this a week ahead as a paying CR subscriber, but I do feel there is a content warning in Episode 4 that ought to be mentioned. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Fish and Chips (post: 1370290) wrote:A vending machine would kill you.

Vending machines don't kill people. Unemployed bartenders kill people!

(Maybe I should put that on my bumper, right next to 'They can have my vending machine when' etc.)

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1370462) wrote:I know that I'm on a 'no talking about the next ep' prohibition, since I'm watching this a week ahead as a paying CR subscriber, but I do feel there is a content warning in Episode 4 that ought to be mentioned. Any suggestions on how to do this?
I'm fairly certain the No Talking About Next Week's Episode rule is constituted for spoilers alone, not necessarily content descriptors (Shizuo is in this episode) or warnings (Shizuo is in this episode).

Anyway, that said, yes, episode 4 does have some nudity in it, mostly unobstructed, though I understand it's circumstantial to the scene and not intended as sexual or servicable (unless you have some really weird ideas about fanservice).
EricTheFred (post: 1370462) wrote:Vending machines don't kill people. Unemployed bartenders kill people!

(Maybe I should put that on my bumper, right next to 'They can have my vending machine when' etc.)
"I'd rather be sailing."
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1370502) wrote:Anyway, that said, yes, episode 4 does have some nudity in it, mostly unobstructed, though I understand it's circumstantial to the scene and not intended as sexual or servicable (unless you have some really weird ideas about fanservice).

All true. For some people on CAA, nudity is troublesome regardless of intent, so they might appreciate the warning. Also I found the scene borderline guro.

EricTheFred

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what is guro?
Wyntre Rose

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1370505) wrote:All true. For some people on CAA, nudity is troublesome regardless of intent, so they might appreciate the warning. Also I found the scene borderline guro.
Yes.

Concerning the scene itself:[spoiler]In exchange for Celty's living accommodations in Japan, a scientist traveling with her requested to dissect her (being a dullahan and all, something which science says really can't exist). Celty agrees, subjecting herself to an experimentation table where the doctor cuts her open to examine her insides, along with the assistance of a young boy who grows up to be Shinra, that lab coat sporting young man in the OP.[/spoiler]EDIT:
Wyntre Rose (post: 1370507) wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what is guro?
The cliff notes version is fanservice with a violent streak, usually bordering on the grostesque or vulgar. People getting cut open, losing limbs, etc.
Fish and Chips

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Ah, I see. Thank you for clearing that up! :)
Wyntre Rose

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews