Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Shinra's dad is quite amusing indeed. I see they're putting more of a focus on the slasher in this episode. I was wondering when they'd get around to talking about it.

Is the slasher just another experiment or some other supernatural being?

Also, "Don't screw with the cops."
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:25 pm

"Let's go hit on girls! All three of us! Anri, you don't have to do anything, you'll just be there to make them feel it's okay!"

Kida made me laugh my head off everytime he said anything. Kida is going to be played by Vic Mignogna. I can tell. Also, I find it interesting that the Yellow Scarves were interested in re recruiting him. He's rather small, so he wouldn't appear to be that strong or particularly useful, and I can imagine is mouthiness getting him in trouble, so I wonder what kind of position he once held.

So Anri is the new focus. Which we already knew.

So I'm a bit confused about Saki. As far as I knew, Izaya only had the two sisters that love Kasuka, but not only does he visit her in the hospital, she's on his phone in the OP and connected to him in the ED. I wonder what her role is.

Mikado has been pushed out of the limelight, which is to be expected. I'm guessing that after the first three novels he gets back some of the focus, but unless we get a sequel, we won't get to see him.

Celty and Shinra are together, which dashed the one ship I had to pieces. :/

The slasher has now been twice shown to attack someone who was cornering someone late at night. I'm guessing he's some sort of self-appointed guardian or something, who thinks he's righteous.

Seiji and Mika were pretty freaky, and I love how everyone was staring at them. "I love your scar!"

Kinnosuke was pretty freaking awesome. Yeah. Good stuff.

It definitely felt like the beginning of a new book, with showing us all the new characters even though it had only been two weeks, and I'm guessing the slasher appears for the first time here. It makes me wonder if the scene with (it?) and Celty is anime only.

Also, Shingen. Yes. Explains EVERYTHING about Shinra. Everything.

Also, Maiza.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 am

There's something great about the headless lady ranking as one of the most normal characters on the show. What caught my attention this episode was the introductions of new characters. In particular, I was expecting Shingen to be tearing stuff up and such, but he turned out to be some hilarious guy. I also liked that Kinnosuke seems to be just a cop who is an awesome guy and not supercop as anime usually would have him be.

It's interesting how they've adapted the series and managed to make such a clean break between the first twelve episodes and now. I already mentioned that the show is at least the first three books and that the events of the the books are heavily rearranged in anime form. From what I gather, hearing about how episode two went, I'd imagine the narrative is even more jumpy in the books than in the show.

Oh yeah, about Kida. His actions and the way those Yellow Scarves approached him and the nature of the show leads me to believe that Kida was a fairly important figure in the Yellow Scarves. There's a really marked difference in the way he acts with Mikado and the way he acts towards gang members or when reminiscing. I wouldn't be surprised if his role was analogous to what Mikado was for the Dollars.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:20 am

The other cool thing about this episode was to see Celty get all freaked out by the cops. Quite refreshing to see the supernatural hero get scared to death by da coppers.

This is a major strength of the series, able to juggle both realism and the supernatural with an even balance.
Yamamaya

Postby ich1990 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Another refreshing episode.

The whole Anri love triangle thing is a touch too stereotypical for this show, so I expect it to take a satisfyingly unpredictable twist soon. Wait for it.

The Slasher is also a fascinating character. I am glad it has finally moved to the forefront of the show. I don't know about anyone else, but the way that Slasher/Anri scene was set up and animated gave me the chills; it was perfect.

That cop is one hardcore dude.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Well, rewatching the ep where all the Dollars are called upon, I realized that many of the ringtones were themes from anime- the one I recognized specifically was the "Ippen... shindemiru?" question from Jigoku Shoujo (which was way weird but way cool to hear). Also have a theory that the Slasher is Anri- if you're familiar with Kanon, then you'll know what I'm getting at. [spoiler]Basically, it's a phychic projection that she has in response to the bullying and stress.[/spoiler]
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Atria35 (post: 1389045) wrote:Also have a theory that the Slasher is Anri- if you're familiar with Kanon, then you'll know what I'm getting at. [spoiler]Basically, it's a phychic projection that she has in response to the bullying and stress.[/spoiler]

I am not familiar with Kanon, but I think I get the gist of what you are talking about.

I actually wondered if it was Anri myself, but have become less convinced after this most recent episode thanks to the chat room messages. If what you are suggesting is true, then when she is bullied she not only cuts people up, she simultaneously uses an iphone or something to hack into and troll message boards. That seems a little unlikely. Then again, anyone being able to do both at the same time seems a little unlikely, and she is splattered with blood at the end of the fight.....

But that still doesn't explain why she attacks others even when she isn't being threatened, or why that guy in the subway isn't in a hospital yet.

One can hope, I guess.
ich1990

Postby Atria35 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:46 pm

ich1990 (post: 1389076) wrote:I am not familiar with Kanon, but I think I get the gist of what you are talking about.

I actually wondered if it was Anri myself, but have become less convinced after this most recent episode thanks to the chat room messages. If what you are suggesting is true, then when she is bullied she not only cuts people up, she simultaneously uses an iphone or something to hack into and troll message boards.
Well, that's the thing- they noticed that the person hacking into the boards somehow manages to go from proxy server to proxy server almost instantaniously. If it is a psychic attack, then this wouldn't be much of a problem either. As to why she's attacking the boards at the same time, though? No clue.

But that still doesn't explain why she attacks others even when she isn't being threatened, or why that guy in the subway isn't in a hospital yet.

One can hope, I guess.
True about the attacks. I think I'll stick with it until there's a definate explanation, or it really becomes clear what's going on, though.
Atria35

Postby goldenspines » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 am

I don't have much to comment on this episode other than what others have already said, but something slightly interesting but probably worthless struck me about the chat room and the troll posting "mom" over and over again.
That kanji that is repeatedly posted does mean "mother". But there are two (at least that I know of) forms of saying "mother" in Japanese (or typing the romanji on a keyboard then converted to Japanese, that is). Okaasan -> お母さん (This is generally referring to anyone's mother or your own, in an informal way [note the middle character]) and Haha -> 母 (this one is used as a person saying "my mother" as opposed to someone else's).
Though, looking at this in a more abstract way, instead of saying "mom" over and over again, the troll is literally saying "Hahahahahahahahahahahaha..."

But I may be wrong, but it still may be interesting. XD

*goes to see if CR has released the next episode for viewing yet* >_>
goldenspines

Postby Atria35 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 am

http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-539896/durarara-14/
It's up and ready for free veiwing!

This ep was a lot more lighthearted in many ways to previous episodes, what with the dad's behaviour- he acts like a bit of an idiot, but the end makes it clear that he's a lot more cruel than his outward appearance (of course, that should be obvious, what with his willingness to operate on someone not fully under aenesthetic). The Slasher is still out there (and Shinra is deeper into things than he appeared to be, too). Anri is looking to be far more important than before. And... Well. Next week's episode is sure to be interesting, especially with the new character added to the cast.
Atria35

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Celty blushes. How sweet.

And the singsong blade is supernatural and can possibly be possessing multiple people allowing it to be many people at once but I still think Anri has something to do with it.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:14 pm

So Shingen is not turning out quite how I expected.

Lots of plot boiling in this episode, sort of a breather. Only complaint is they played Shizou a bit too calm and casual. He's relaxed around Celty, sure, which would be fine if someone hadn't just tried to kill her. Not exactly the ever weakening chain of anger management like he's been the rest of the entire show.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:30 pm

So this episode was great. Shingen is now one of my favorite characters, acting like an old geezer, which he might be. I'm curious what relevance the ephebophile is going to have, other than letting Kida be awesome.

This episode almost dashed my already slim hopes of Celty and Shizuo getting together on a large rock, but I'd say the end might keep it by a thread. Anri still doesn't quite get non-platonic lover, and Mikado is trying to keep everything from reaching an all-out war. I'm guessing the Slasher is going to run one of the Yellow Scarves through, who will assume it was the Dollars, and begin said war Mikado is trying to prevent.

Also, next episode looks like it will be very awesome. We finally get to learn the relationship between Saki and Kida, and Team Van will make an appearance. Good stuff.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:11 am

Shinra's dad and Celty are the winners for this episode, between dere-dere Celty and DOJIKKO CELTY DOJIKKO CELTY.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:40 am

Episode 15.

I always liked this dude whenever he was poking around earlier in the series. Now he gets his own episode. This is why I love Narita. Even the most obscure side character you liked but assumed everyone forgot about can come back in a big way. Any connectivity chart of the Naritaverse is probably dense enough to pass for a carpet. Wonderful wonderful.

And that should wrap up almost everything you need to know about the Slasher - chiefly that it's not any one person but several people connected to a like consciousness, all of whom seem to have a thing for Anri. And Shizou Heiwajima. And suddenly improbable sword-wielding abilities.

Also, Walker reads Yotsuba& apparently. His desire to live a peaceful life doesn't appear to hinder his tendency to torture people in the back of parked vans though.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:40 pm

"There's a 0.000000000000000075% you'll kill someone just by staring or cursing them. If you stare at someone you can't complain if they kill you!"-Shizuo.

Just another reason to love this guy.

I have one question about Walker, Erica, Tom, and the rest of the otaku squad. Are they supposed to be half Japanese? It's rather odd that they have Western first names and Japanese last names.
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:55 pm

So Team Van didn't get as much screentime as I would have hoped for, but they made up for it by ramming the poor reporter guy and saving Anri.

Shizuo got to have large amounts of awesome and kicked major butt this episode. Anri is about to show some of her backstory, and Saki's relation to Izaya or Kida still hasn't been explained, but I'm guessing that will have to wait until we get to the third light novel. Not much Mikado or any Shingen in this episode, unfortunately, but it can't have episode eleven every time. I'm also wondering if the yakuza princess that befriends Shizuo will show up before the anime is over, or if she's in the fourth light novel.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1391316) wrote:So Team Van didn't get as much screentime as I would have hoped for, but they made up for it by ramming the poor reporter guy and saving Anri.
I think by this point we've established the van guys as immortal side characters. They'll always be around, but they'll probably never be the most important people around, if you follow.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1391316) wrote:Shizuo got to have large amounts of awesome and kicked major butt this episode.
Oh.

Oh.

You have no idea.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1391316) wrote:Saki's relation to Izaya or Kida still hasn't been explained, but I'm guessing that will have to wait until we get to the third light novel. Not much Mikado or any Shingen in this episode, unfortunately, but it can't have episode eleven every time. I'm also wondering if the yakuza princess that befriends Shizuo will show up before the anime is over, or if she's in the fourth light novel.
The third light novel comprises mostly Kida's story, and along with it Saki, who you can expect to see more of then, but no, likely not right now.

And Akane the ten-year-old yakuza princess and part-time assassin is, unfortunately, reserved for whenever they decide to adapt the fifth novel.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1391319) wrote:I think by this point we've established the van guys as immortal side characters. They'll always be around, but they'll probably never be the most important people around, if you follow.
Ah, okay, they're more like the Gandors, at least for The Rolling Bootlegs.
Oh.

Oh.

You have no idea.

That bodes well.
The third light novel comprises mostly Kida's story, and along with it Saki, who you can expect to see more of then, but no, likely not right now.

And Akane the ten-year-old yakuza princess and part-time assassin is, unfortunately, reserved for whenever they decide to adapt the fifth novel.

Well, while I do look forward more to Kida's story than I do the rest of this, I can be okay with that.

And I better hope that the sequel we all want isn't like FMP!'s and only covers the fourth light novel. I suppose they'd have to make it a full twenty six to keep this pacing.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ich1990 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Good grief, as if this show didn't have enough awesome characters already, along comes a trenchcoat wearing detective. I just hope he survived that last encounter. Also, you have to love the random dumb goons:

[quote="Yamamaya"]"There's a 0.000000000000000075%]
"The [heck] you say? Eh, Bartender? Wait, bartender? *Eyes widen* No way...."
*Crunching noises and screams*

And, the whole exchange involving:

"Stop it! Stop using random Kanji for things and thinking it makes you [hardcore]!"
ich1990

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:06 pm

I started out worrying that this might be another recap-ish episode like episode 2 kind of was, but it ended perfectly fine. Also, Celty and Shizuo for best bros 2010. I did find the Yotsuba&! reference strange in that they took it one step further than I would have and actually named the series.

Now for less interesting news. DRRR!! vol.3 maintains the strong sales of the previous volumes, releasing in the top spot at the expected 17k mark. I also find it interesting that DRRR vol. 1 of the light novel still sells enough to break the top whatever charts and has sold, in total, much more than double any of the other volumes on that chart.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 pm

blkmage (post: 1391354) wrote:Now for less interesting news. DRRR!! vol.3 maintains the strong sales of the previous volumes, releasing in the top spot at the expected 17k mark. I also find it interesting that DRRR vol. 1 of the light novel still sells enough to break the top whatever charts and has sold, in total, much more than double any of the other volumes on that chart.

So you're telling me we might get to see Akane?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

Episode 16.

Didn't enjoy this episode as much as the previous one. Felt like they were trying to condense two episodes into one, or they just decided to lay on the info dump thick this time. In any case, with this set up, next episode should be in full force, what with Shizuo taking on about a hundred of Saika's Children at the same time.

And how about that Anri?

Also, Erika - this is what shippers actually believe.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Fri May 07, 2010 12:01 pm

"I think it's kinda obvious Erika is supposed to be a representative of your average Japanese Durarara!! fan."
blkmage

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri May 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Anri is an awsome magician.
[spoiler]How did she fit that sword up her sleeve? XD [/spoiler]
I'm hoping 17 clears some stuff up, I think I missed alot...
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Yamamaya » Fri May 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Poor Shizuo. Between Izaya and zombies with knives, the guy can never get any peace. But at least he has fun. lol
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri May 07, 2010 3:46 pm

"I'm off to Shinjuku to kill Izaya."

I'm guessing the next episode will end the second light novel, and we can finally get to Kida! Also, I was surprised at how many victims there were of Saika.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Fri May 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Shizuo=Epic
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby MightiMidget » Sat May 08, 2010 12:42 am

Okay so that episode was awesome? Shizuo and Izaya never fail to completely crack me up. I knew there was something up with Anri, but did not entirely see that coming? Though I am still confused considering is Saika is a homicidal maniac how Anri did not seem to be totally taken over....really...? Looking forward to next week's! I also finally like the opening theme, I wasn't so sure at first, but really like it now...
MightiMidget

Postby Hohenheim » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Ok, episodes 15 and 16 are just.....woah.......:wow!:

[Spoiler] How did Anri get a hold of the original Saika? Was she the one who controlled it for the past five years? I also have a theory. In some very quick flashbacks, we see what appears to be the robber murdering Anri's parents. Since the robber appeared to have red eyes, it seems that he was being controlled by Saika. Perhaps Anri took Saika so that nobody else would die because of it?

Shizuo was on to something with Izaya. I can just tell. What connection does he have to the Saika drones moving around Ikebukuro? Also, Shizuo looks to be getting ready for quite the epic fight. I eagerly look forward to it.[/Spoiler]
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews