Does anyone like SPIRITED AWAY

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Does anyone like SPIRITED AWAY

Postby webranger7 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:17 am

I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was interesting, even though it was made by disney. It's still anime. What do you think of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
webranger7

Postby Straylight » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:20 am

I really liked that film...
It's not made by Disney anyway (disney just licensed it), it's made by this really amazin anime director .. Miyazaki, who was also responsible for the films Mononoke and Laputa, which are also really cool.

I'd recommend this to anyone though, easily one of the best anime films I ever saw :thumb:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Rashiir » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:07 pm

The radish spirit is the best...he just rides the elevators up and down and takes up all of the room.
Rashiir

Postby blue elf » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:21 pm

Yeah, I loved that movie. My mom got it for me.^^ I love Haku. Oriental dragons are the best.^^ I liked the little sootballs too.
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby MillyFan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:24 pm

Yeah, I loved it. -^.^- Although it did have some heavy Shinto undertones to say the least, if it is taken as total mythology, there's no real problem there.

It's artistically one of the better anime I've seen. :thumb:

BlueElf: Haku!!! How could I have forgotten, he was my favorite character! I even have some pics of him in the gallery at my website!:thumb: :sweat:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:52 pm

While it's not my favourite Studio Ghibli movie, it's still excellent. I really enjoyed the movie's connection to the old fairy stories and how it could bring them to life in the way that it did.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby majanthehun » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:16 pm

honestly, i really did enjoy spirited away...
miyazaki and studio ghibli can do some amazing things.

but i have to say, it was to into the whole "god and spirit" thing- if you can look past it, the movie is excellent. my mom had a problem with the god/spirit thing, so i decided that it would be good to not keep the movie. (i may not agree with my mom all the time, but i will ALWAYS respect what she wants)

ironically, spirited away was what prompted me to find a christian anime website, and here i am...

so the movie was good, i just had a problem with the god/spirit thing...

and yes, haku was my favorite chara...

BE FOREWARNED: DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!! I'TS A SPOILER!!

My little sister (being the sensitive type), right at the very emotional scene with haku falling through the air with chihiro/sen and sen has helped haku remeber his real name, my sister blurts out this harebrained random comment (something to the effect of "tomorrow is monday") that totoally messed up the moment for me. so consider your self lucky for being able to watch that "emotionally energized" moment in peace.
Lord, I don't know where this is going,
Or how this all works out
Lead me to peace that is past understanding
A peace beyond all doubt

-Newsboys "Lord (I don't know)"
majanthehun

Postby Saint » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:20 pm

thats a point about it... its a great movie for kids that will miss a bunch of it, and it was great fun for me and my friends. (at 20+).

i really enjoyed it and the quality was quite good. so does anyone know where i can find an abandoned theme part? ;)
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Izumi San » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:29 pm

Yeah, that part freaked me out too. I was like "Ah! He dissappeared!!!" Then when I saw him floating there I was okay XD
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby _bluerose_ » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:32 pm

hey Spidey, what do you mean taciturn mien?? The radish guy was awkward...

I liked Spirited Away b/c I could totally relate to her (felt like I was in the movie), unlike other animes, she had real feelings, confusion, awkward, sadness, first love, etc. She had passion!
~Rose

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isa. 40:30,31
_bluerose_

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:19 pm

I just rented this tonight, actually. I haven't got a chance to watch it yet...but I will so help me! Because it has to be back on Sunday ^^;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Straylight » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:34 pm

thats a point about it... its a great movie for kids that will miss a bunch of it, and it was great fun for me and my friends. (at 20+).

That's what I love about Miyazaki -- good quality stuff for all ages (with the exception of Mononoke)
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Rashiir » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:48 pm

Note to self: Never tell a dragon its real name while in mid-flight.
Rashiir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:31 pm

I think it was Kohaku River...or some such thing. It's sad that I can't remember because I just finished the movie like, 15 minutes ago. ^^;;

I liked it okay but...um...hm. How to put it. It seemed kind of like....a bunch of random little stories thrown into the same movie....to me it seemed like the plot didn't flow as well as it could have. But Miyazaki does good work.

Princess Mononoke was pretty good too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Technomancer » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:50 pm

Personally, I preferred Mononoke. It's true though, that the narrative of Spirited Away seems more disjointed, though all of the individual threads do come together in the end. It probably helps if you're familiar with nature of the myths and fairy stories that seem to have heavily influenced the film.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby blue elf » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:59 pm

yeah, I realize that Spirited Away is heavily influenced by Shinto mythology 'n stuff, but I tend not to take stuff like that too seriously. It's my favorite Miyazaki movie, not that I've seen that many. I liked Princess Mononoke too, but I enjoyed Spirited Away just a bit more(not as much blood):sweat: I liked Castle in the Sky too. Anyone else seen it?
MillyFan, you have a bishounen gallery? I must see this gallery....er, to make sure that you haven't left anybody out of course.:angel: That would be bad.:sweat: *skips off to check the links section*
-BlueElf :dance: (someone should make a dancing monkey icon, don't know why, just a random thought)
blue elf

Postby HeavensTek » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:36 am

good movie....

really enjoyed it. especially the little chubby hamster getting flown around by a minature bat. too cute :grin:
HeavensTek

Postby express » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:54 am

Yess!!!:grin: Stuff about Ghibli. I'm a huge Ghibli fan! As for Spirit Away, I must say that it was so amazing to watch. The animation was so beautiful. However, at the time, it was the 2nd Miyazaki film I watched, next to Mononoke. I was disappointed plot-wise, though, because I guess I had a "Mononoke" expectation in my mind when I watched it. Anyway, I love all of Miyazaki's films, especially since Joe Hisaishi composes all the music. Joe Hisaishi's compositions always get to me (in a good way, I mean.)

As for the Shinto aspect, and I agree with everyone here, it's something you have to look past and not take seriously at all. As I read on nausicaa.net, Miyazaki is totally against organized religion, so it's expected that he wouldn't have much regard or sensitivity to public opinion as far as that goes. He seems to just create from his experiences. I don't condone these things; it's just stuff I read. I could pray that the Lord touches his heart, though.
express

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:33 am

I liked Spirited Away pretty well. The animation was amazing.

I hope Disney will get around to releasing the rest of Mayazaki's films.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby madphilb » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:54 am

What else is there....

Spirited Away, Monanoke (SP?), Kiki, Castle, Tortono (SP?)...

Kiki and Castle have received re-releases on DVD (and Walmart has had them both for $19.99), came out the same time as Spirited Away I believe... Monanoke is also out (been out for a while)... the only one that I don't know if it's on DVD is My Friend Tortono (SP?)...

I've only seen Kiki and Monanoke. I want to pick up Castle in the Sky, wanted to see that since I saw the ad for it on the Kiki video a few years back, but no-one has ever had it (should grab it now before it's too late?)

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:03 am

Don't forget "Whispers of the Heart" and "Faceless Hill" as well as "Naussica of the Valley of the Wind". I've seen the first one and really enjoyed it and am hoping that I can find the other two somewhere. I've only seen clips from them in Anime music videos, but they both look great. The "Land of Confusion" video (using "Faceless Hill"), was incredible if anyone can find it to download...

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:58 pm

I've wanted to see Nausicaa. Hopefully, Disney might release a dub of it on DVD. A good unbutchered dub of it.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Straylight » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:01 pm

So how many Miyazaki films are there?
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:36 pm

Not really sure. Let's try listing them (if anyone knows more add'em to the list)

Spirited Away, Mononoke, Whisper of the Heart, Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa, Nausicaa, Faceless Hill, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, My Neighbour Totoro....

I'm pretty sure that Grave of the Fireflies isn't a Miyazaki film, although it is produced by Studio Ghibli.
There is one Nausicaa dub called "Warriors of the Wind" floating around BTW, although I'm also told that it's garbage.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Straylight » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:43 pm

wow, so that's a lot of stuff then :D
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby BrianC » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:22 pm

Originally posted by madphilb
What else is there....

Spirited Away, Monanoke (SP?), Kiki, Castle, Tortono (SP?)...

Kiki and Castle have received re-releases on DVD (and Walmart has had them both for $19.99), came out the same time as Spirited Away I believe... Monanoke is also out (been out for a while)... the only one that I don't know if it's on DVD is My Friend Tortono (SP?)...

I've only seen Kiki and Monanoke. I want to pick up Castle in the Sky, wanted to see that since I saw the ad for it on the Kiki video a few years back, but no-one has ever had it (should grab it now before it's too late?)

PHIL

Please don't refer to Castle in the Sky as "Castle". There is more than one Miyazaki film with "Castle" in the title. Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky, and the upcoming Howl's Moving Castle.

I'm pretty sure you can still find Castle in the Sky in stores. It only came out in the US a few months ago on DVD, not a few years back. I watched the movie and I loved it.

I think Mononoke is my favorite of the Miyazaki films, but I love his other films too. Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Castle of Cagliostro, My Neighbor Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service are all great movies. I read some of the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga and I liked what I read of it (though it's more like Mononoke content wise).

I first saw Spirited Away during the end of it's first run in theaters. It showed me that anime could be artistic and entertaining. It helped me get into watching anime.

Don't judge Castle of Cagliostro from the Lupin III manga and vice versa. I liked Castle of Cagliostro and some of the Lupin III TV series and I had the displeasure of reading part of the manga. I couldn't read past the first few pages. Castle of Cagliostro and many episodes of the second Lupin III TV series are fairly clean and entertaining (though the dubs add cursing and other stuff, ick.), but the manga is racy, darker, and not very entertaining. IMO, the Lupin III manga is worth avoiding, but Castle of Cagliostro is worth seeing in the subtitles since it's lighthearted and entertaining.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby express » Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:43 pm

For more info on Ghibli stuff, I always like to visit nausicaa.net . It has so much info on not only Miyazaki stuff, but other Studio Ghibli directors. I wanted to say this because it seems that many people here really like the Ghibli movies.

I know I do:jump: .
express

Postby madphilb » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:05 pm

Originally posted by BrianC
Please don't refer to Castle in the Sky as "Castle". There is more than one Miyazaki film with "Castle" in the title. Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky, and the upcoming Howl's Moving Castle.

My bad... then again I wasn't aware that the others where related to him at all (my ignorance is showing :sweat: )

I'm pretty sure you can still find Castle in the Sky in stores. It only came out in the US a few months ago on DVD, not a few years back. I watched the movie and I loved it.

Check my post again :grin: , I saw the trailer for it a few years back on the Kiki VHS tape. Nobody around me (esp. Blockbuster/Walmart) had a copy of it on VHS. I passed on the deal where you bought Castle in the Sky and Kiki and got Spirited Away for free (or something like that). Sad I did it too.

Don't judge Castle of Cagliostro from the Lupin III manga and vice versa.

Cagliostro and many episodes of the second Lupin III TV series are fairly clean and entertaining (though the dubs add cursing and other stuff, ick.),

I was wondering about this. The one place that I knew that had Anime (in any quantity) was AnimeNation (they've since moved across Tampa Bay :( ) They where showing Castle of Cagliostro in the store, it looked interesting and I wrote down the title, but like most of that stuff, never got to see it.

Now that I'm down the road from both a Suncoast video and Best Buy and the fact that Anime is getting more and more popular I've seen more stuff. The Lupin III series seemed (from a trailer and the box art) to be something different from what I saw with the Castle of Cagliostro video way-back-when.

I guess the series evolved rather than de-evolved as many do (2nd law of thermal dynamics :D )

PHIL
madphilb

Postby BrianC » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:52 pm

Actually, much of the Lupin III anime is quite different from each other. Different directors had their own take on Lupin III and they all vary in content and quality. Castle of Cagliostro happens to be one of the best Lupin III animes in both content and quality (though I recommend not watching the Manga dub and watching in the subtitles instead). Castle of Cagliostro is a Miyazaki film and his style is definatly appearant in it. Flying machines make an appearance and there is plenty of Miyazaki charm in Castle of Cagliostro too.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby madphilb » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:24 pm

Sounds like I should see if I can get Suncoast to order it, assuming they don't already have a copy on hand.

Thanks for the heads-up on it.

PHIL
madphilb

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews