Review Requests

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Gypsy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:07 pm

Chrno Crusade is on my "To check out" list. (I also read about it in Newtype) I think it's also like an action type thing. The image of a gun toting nun really intrigued me, to say the least. If I find out anything more, I'll be sure to mention it here.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:16 pm

Yay I can help! :thumb:

So yes Chrno Crusade is going to be coming to the US. From what I understand it is actually coming to TV (I have no idea if it's cartoon network or what that is just what I read).

And since I saw up to ... episode 13 I think I'll give everyone a quicko summary of the show (I believe there is 26 or 24 episodes in the series).

This is definately NOT the cleanest show I have ever seen. Demons explode, splatter and do other gross stuff when shot with Rosette's gun. And the resident scientist/inventor of the covent is quite the pervert. He loves to crawl under benches to try to see under the girls dresses (they are all wearing bloomers so it doesn't really matter) and he makes sexual remarks to them from time to time. Suprisingly there isn't a lot of bad language.

Now for the religious side. When it comes to religion this series is a pile of poop. You thought Kaitou Jeanne was bad? That is nothing compared to this! As far as I could tell there was no real "hell" just a place where the demons lived and were ruled by their "queen." And even though the demons stick their noses all over the place God and angels are absent. Instead there are the "apostles" who were given "special talents by God." The only thing is they were given these talents/powers from birth so they can choose to join the side of the demons. The apostles are able to directly access the astral lines which is where they and the demons draw their power from. It's sort of like the Force from Star Wars since the supposedly all life comes from the astral lines and then returns when that life dies.

Most of the episodes I saw were Rosette and her partner(s) going out to fight demons. She shoots them with bullets with holy water in them and apparently that kills/gets rid of the lesser demons. For bigger ones she uses a special bullet that doesn't have holy water in it but I can't remember why it works. :forehead: And yes Rosette's partner is a demon. A "good demon" supposedly, although he hasn't exactly repented. He's just helping Rosette out partly for his own revenge against some demons he was allies with before.

So after thinking about it they got two things right religiously:
1.) God's power is absolute
2.) Demons have a class system. (there are lower class demons and higher class demons)

Am I saying don't try to see it? Not at all, it's an entertaining series, and actually my sister totally loves it and wants to buy it as soon as it comes out. However, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is at all shaky about their faith since this series definately twists Christianity. They may change that a little for the dub version though.

Lastly if you want more info about the show check out this site:
http://www.chrno-crusade.com/
it has more info then you would ever care to know including character bios.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Gypsy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:56 pm

Hey, thanks MyrrhLynn!
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby HikariChan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:10 am

:dance:Naruto Naruto:dance:

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:27 am

Don't worry on that account. It isn't complete, but I'll review what is there.
uc pseudonym

Postby thalia » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:39 pm

Is there, by any chance, a Vision of Escaflowne review? I didn't see one, but I could have missed it. It's one of my favorite series and I just wanted to see how others respond to it and hear their opinions.
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:45 pm

thalia wrote:Is there, by any chance, a Vision of Escaflowne review? I didn't see one, but I could have missed it. It's one of my favorite series and I just wanted to see how others respond to it and hear their opinions.

Nope. There's the movie review but not a series review. Someone who really likes the series should write one. . . hmmm, I wonder who likes Escaflowne. ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby thalia » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:48 pm

^hehe, but I thought only "special" people were allowed to write the reviews! (j/k) I guess I could write one, seeing as I have seen the entire series multiple times!! Is there any set format to follow?
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

thalia

Postby shooraijin » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:24 pm

The bold-faced sections in the reviews basically give you the general format to follow. You can submit one right from there, and we can just chuck it into the database once it's approved, which is really easy for us (read: gets your review approved faster :) ). Anyone can write one -- just that mods and/or admins need to approve them.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Zedian » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:57 pm

Thaila, you should go ahead and write a Escaflowne review; I too absolutely love that series and to see it reviewed would be nice. Question, I just want to know have any reviews been done on Kiddy Grade, Rah Xephon, Someday's Dreamers, and FLCL ? Just checking; since I know non-mods and admins can submit I am now contemplating.
Zedian

Postby shooraijin » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:13 pm

As of *right this second*, Zedian, I don't see any reviews pending approval for Kiddy Grade, RahXephon, Someday's Dreamers *or* FLCL, so have at them.

As a general note, now that I'm thinking of it, more obscure series are going to have a bigger delay for reviews, since we need to crosscheck (and this might be harder for titles we can't get objective or reliable information on, let alone the actual series themselves). Not that we don't want those reviews; just appreciate they will take longer to get into the system by their very nature.

EDIT: I should say, "pending approval" means loaded into the corral waiting for an admin/mod to look at them. Obviously, I can't comment on reviews people are doing that they haven't entered. :sweat:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby thalia » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:26 pm

I'm working on my review for 'Vision of Escaflowne' right now, trying to be as objective as possible! I guess I just post it as a New Thread, or is there some other place I put it for review?
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

thalia

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:19 pm

thalia wrote:I'm working on my review for 'Vision of Escaflowne' right now, trying to be as objective as possible! I guess I just post it as a New Thread, or is there some other place I put it for review?

Actually, you submit it in the reviews section of this site and the mods will approve it and put it up on the site from what I understand. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:24 pm

Zedian wrote:Question, I just want to know have any reviews been done on Kiddy Grade, Rah Xephon, Someday's Dreamers, and FLCL ?

Actually, true_noir_chloe is writting a review for RahXephon from what I understand, but I've been waiting for someone to write a review for Someday's Dreamer and Kiddy Grade (I'm not really familiar with FLCL, so I can't say I've been waiting for that one). Go for one of those!!!! :grin:

Mangafanatic

Postby Gypsy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:43 am

Mangafanatic wrote:Actually, you submit it in the reviews section of this site and the mods will approve it and put it up on the site from what I understand. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong.

That'd be correct. You get a cookie. :thumb:
Gypsy

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:36 am

Gypsy wrote:That'd be correct. You get a cookie. :thumb:

*eyes her cookie greedily* Yes!!! I knew one day my head full of miscellaneous trivia would get me something!

Mangafanatic

Postby samurai1986 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:38 pm

You need a review of Berserk which I think is a great show but it has, I believe many dangerous thems like "We might not controll our own will. Everything ewe do is decided by God or some other force.
ImageVisit my website here
"Men have always feared the unknown, and have hated what they fear. Except for those of courage and high heart to whom the unknownis like a flame to a moth"
-Katherine Kurtz, Deryni Rising

"The principles are settled. Life is the pageant of men and women living up to them or failing to live up to them--and I think that to-day, if we are to save ourselves, we need to close our minds, to take honors worth for granted and to escape back into certaity from the atmosphere of eternal questioning."
-Christopher Hollis, Death of a Gentleman
For great quality signature pics vistit ROBSIGZ!!!
samurai1986

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:29 pm

Go For It!!!!

Mangafanatic

Postby Gypsy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:21 pm

samurai1986 wrote:You need a review of Berserk which I think is a great show but it has, I believe many dangerous thems like "We might not controll our own will. Everything ewe do is decided by God or some other force.

Actually, you're in luck. We have at least 2 Berserk reviews in the pending process.
Gypsy

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue May 11, 2004 6:11 pm

I wish someone would review Last exile.

My last wish was that someone would review Rahxephon; that was granted--- so I guess this is my second wish. I'll have to be VERY careful with my third one.

Mangafanatic

Postby PotBelliedCow » Wed May 12, 2004 5:56 pm

I was browsing through the review page and I was kinda surprised there wasn't a review on Haibane Renmei...

*looks around*

Can I write one for it?

Eh? :eh:
PotBelliedCow

Postby shooraijin » Wed May 12, 2004 6:49 pm

By all means. :thumb: I don't see one pending review, either, so go for it.

shooraijin

Postby PotBelliedCow » Wed May 12, 2004 9:38 pm

Hooray!

*gets to writing review*

Eh? :eh:
PotBelliedCow

Postby Destroyer2000 » Thu May 13, 2004 7:14 pm

Well, since RK has around 28 volumes *I Think, from what I've heard* Can I write a partial review around the time the tenth one comes out?
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Inferno » Fri May 14, 2004 6:52 am

One Piece

Naruto
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 14, 2004 7:33 am

I am working on Naruto, but it's difficult to find episodes. I have seen approximately twenty of the 83 so far... I'll put up a partial review when I reach fifty of them.
uc pseudonym

Postby mai » Fri May 14, 2004 8:05 am

Fma
mai

Postby shooraijin » Fri May 14, 2004 8:40 am

> Well, since RK has around 28 volumes *I Think, from what I've heard* Can I write a partial review around the time the tenth one comes out?

But we already have a TV series review ... ?

shooraijin

Postby Destroyer2000 » Fri May 14, 2004 3:24 pm

Yes, but...oops. I was thinking about the manga. Oh well. It IS different from the TV series.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 15, 2004 3:16 pm

Clarify for me, someone assigned to this project... do we write manga reviews as well? If so, I could do a Naruto manga review almost instantly.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews