Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

Postby Saint » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:28 pm

So i just finished watching the new Bebop movie... i guess the only Bebop movie. Anyway, its good to see characters you like back in another series. In my opinion its good and is in the same style as the series. Voices are the same although i think they might have a different actor. or maybe i was just wrong on who the V. actor was in the series. the features are nice (dvd) and the movie is just shy of two hours.

its hard to talk about it without giving anything up so i guess i will stay silent. still, maybe you guys will want to pick it up it was released on 6/24/03, U.S. version. i picked it up at target for 20 dollars get it if you can, but it is rated R for violence.

do you have a favorite part from the TV series? i like "Toys in the Attic." mmmm... lobster. :grin:
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby andyroo » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:57 pm

I have been drooling over this movie since it came out in theatres in Japan in August 2001. It is at the top of my wish list for Christmas/birthday this year. :P I think it all started with a movie trailer that I found of the internet through AnimeNation.

My favorite episode would have to be Ballad of the Fallen Angels(title?).
[spoiler="I find the fighting grounds questionable"]I dont really like it that Spike and Vicious fought in a Cathedral(sp?). It is still a place to worship God.[/spoiler]
The closing episodes were very good too.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Rashiir » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:47 am

I liked the movie a lot...I saw it in theaters in America...I started another thread on it a while ago...but it is just awesome...I'm so getting the DVD or whatever like now...

Regarding Andyroo's objection...
I didn't even know where they were...
Rashiir

Postby MillyFan » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:47 am

Erm. . .andyroo, I agree with your objection in a way, but you need to reword it as Catholics are Christians too and you might horribly insult someone who comes from that denomination.

The other reason I don't totally agree with your objection is that it was an abandoned cathedral (IIRC from the episode I saw).

Anyway, I thought the fight was pointless as most of the fights in that anime were. IMHO if they had left out half of the fighting, the anime wouldn't have suffered much.

"Toys in the Attic" was one favorite episode, but I also liked "Jamming With Edward" and "Heavy Metal Queen." (am I the only person who likes the latter? Almost everyone I know hated that episode. Ah well. . .I liked it.)

I wanted to see the whole series, but CN cut off at episode 12 on the first time I was watching it this last month.
Yeah, I was a latecomer hehe. . .:bang:

Nevertheless, someday when I'm on my own and won't get yelled at or in trouble for it, I'm buying the series and movie most likely. . .

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:46 am

I haven't seen the movie yet, although I have some songs from the soundtrack (they're all right, not as good as the music from the series though). I think my favourite episodes would be Jupiter Jazz 1&2, along with that pet thief episode (can't remember the name).

Heavy metal queen wasn't bad, not one of my favourites though. Mostly, I liked the beginning though.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

hehe

Postby Christianotaku » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:44 am

well my favorite episode is "my funny valentine" but since its the only episode ive seen it might not count much...............................
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby MillyFan » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:11 pm

Technomancer, the pet thief episode was either episode 2 or episode 3 (mind is failing me at the moment) and it was called "Stray Dog Strut."

MillyFan

Postby andyroo » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:57 pm

Whatever. Um... I am pretty shure it was episode 2. I think episode 3 was Honky Tonk Woman? Millyfan, I took the insulting part out. Thanks for the warning, I don't want to get anyone angry at me. I'm not sure if it was abandoned or not; from what I remember it looked kept up. The exact details are sort of fuzzy for me so I might have been wrong about it.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
andyroo

Postby MillyFan » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:06 pm

:hug:

MillyFan

Postby Technomancer » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:11 pm

Thanks, eh. That episode's gotta have the best chase scene of the whole series. Love the ska track that goes with it too.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:39 am

Thanks for noting you changed your post, andyroo. I read what Millyfan said and thought she was nuts... at least until I got to yours. I'm not sure what is said originally, but it's probably a good thing it was changed.
uc pseudonym

Postby MillyFan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:03 pm

Hehehe, thanks a lot. . .

:lickbash:

MillyFan

Postby Saint » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:07 pm

oh no, not that on this thread...

does seem like something that Ed would do to Ein... ;)

?? but hows Ein using that hammer??
Saint

Postby MillyFan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:26 pm

Yeah, it does, doesn't it?

Go Ed!!!!:thumb: ;) ~.^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MillyFan

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:31 pm

I think I might buy this movie at some point...
Stephen

Postby andyroo » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:33 pm

Does anyone remember Ed's full name by memory? No cheating now.
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

andyroo

Postby Saint » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:03 pm

you would have to be a hardcore fan to remember that and spell it all without looking it up. i read it just the other night actually and i can't really remember.
Saint

Postby MillyFan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:39 am

Originally posted by Saint
you would have to be a hardcore fan to remember that and spell it all without looking it up. i read it just the other night actually and i can't really remember.

Hmm. I think it is "Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tirulvsky," although my spelling may be off somewhat due to translation issues (I've seen it spelled like 3 different ways on anime boards in the past)

And yes, I did that from memory. I wonder why my memory works so good sometimes and so miserably others. . .ah well. . .

:hits_self

MillyFan

Postby andyroo » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:49 am

Wow! :wow!: You deserve a huge cake of any flavour of your choosing. Don't forget that she named herself the fourth, too. I remember it as Edward Wong Pereruski, IV.

<edit> I can't belive that I misspelled wong of all words</edit>
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

andyroo

Postby Saint » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:31 pm

very impressive... i looked it up on the movies bio. to get the spelling and you where so close on that too. its Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky the 4th. so all but the last... what a fan you are. :)
Saint

Postby blue elf » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:13 am

I haven't gotten around to seeing the movie yet, but my fav eps. in the tv series were....umm any ep. where Spike 'n Vicious fight.:sweat: Other than that my favorites are, Toys in the Attic and that episode with the teddy bomber guy and that bounty hunter that looks like a cowboy version of Spike.:grin:
And on the Ballad of Fallen Angels ep. I assumed the cathedral was abandoned too. My resoning was that it would be kinda dumb to hideout with a hostage in a church with people in it, but maybe it's just me.
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby MillyFan » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:16 am

I'm definitely going to see the whole series someday: I only saw up to ep 12 thanks to CN :mutter: :rant: :waah!:

Yeah, Toys in the Attic was an episode with no relevance to the general plot, no point really-but it was one of the best episodes in the series IMHO. That was quite strange. . .:P

MillyFan

Postby HeavensTek » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:42 am

wonderful series.......awesome ending....

i really liked how they had the persistant underlying theme going of "living in a dream" throughout the whole series and movie....

the movie was even better

definate winner :thumb:
HeavensTek

Postby Stephen » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:55 pm

Just bought it...review it with my 2 cents soon...so far its cool.
Stephen

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:40 pm

Ok...the offical Shatterheart review of Cowboy Bebop the movie. First, its rated R. Thus, kiddos...this is a adult slanted film....I would personaly say eh....16 and up....First the bad stuff....probably 10-15 vulgar words (which shocked me for anime....it was very tame for an anime) Sex..none. There is one scene where a man cuts a womans shirt open, but we only see clevage...and thats the most of it...(they are interupted) A shower scene shows the outline of a womans chest, but the curtain prevents anything being shown...simpy an outline. Hmm....in another scene we see a sideshot of a woman sitting without a top on....nothing shown in detail, and its a passing shot. So all in all...there is no real nudity in the anime. Violence...pretty fair amount...people get stabbed, shot, clawed....etc etc. Nothing real real gory...but a fair amount. Comparing the movie to most hollywood films...this would be PG-13. Now onto my feelings.....for the older members here....this is an unbelivable anime movie...while I have not yet bought the series (give me time...plan on buying it off Animniacs within a month or so) This movie was awesome...great animation...cool chars...and a sweet plot. It could have down without its little shock value near-nude scenes...but they do not hamper the anime enough to get a poo rating....I would give this movie a 8/10 stars. Left me wanting more when it was over. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
Stephen

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:40 pm

Who rated it R? Not that I'm quibbling the decision, but I'm wondering who's in charge of doing that. Especially because you said it'd be PG-13 compared to most Hollywood stuff.
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:54 pm

They have been cracking down a lot more on the rating thing...and the violence...for the most part is shown...people getting shot.. etc etc...I guess I can see why it got R...musta been close though.
Stephen

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:53 am

One thing that could have caused it, and also a pet peeve of mine.
:rant:
If anyone got kicked in the head, the movie instantly becomes R rated. This is a throwback to the old days when movies were a lot tamer. But I saw someone get impaled by nails in a PG-13 movie. Does anyone else see there's something wrong here? Ultimately, I generally ignore the rating and ask a friend about a movie, because the rating system has gotten so messed up...
uc pseudonym

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:16 am

It seems to me like they've cracked way down on violence and loosened way up on sex and nudity.
Rashiir

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews