Anime license deals for North America

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:16 am

Bandai has the Hayate the Combat Butler anime. Viz has the manga Honey Hunt, Gestalt, Magic Touch and Otomen.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:28 am

FUNimation has pick the the title Baccano.

ANN hasn't reported it yet, but I find other anime news sites are reporting as of now.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:14 pm

Bandai Entertainment picks up .hack//G.U. trilogy anime film

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:22 am

ADV picks up the anime title Indian Summer

Roy Mustang

Postby Kairi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:37 pm

Er... not sure if this is official, but Wikipedia says Mermaid Melody has been licensed by ADV again, and the series will be released sometime in 2009.

Could anyone confirm this? All I've found is a trailer that someone posted, and I have no idea if it's authentic or not. The voices sound pretty convincing (up until 2:36 -- ugh). But I don't want to get too excited because this hasn't been announced on ANN or ADV's website yet.

Maybe since the manga has been licensed here, they're giving the anime another shot...? *shrugs* I can only hope!
Kairi

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Funimation has acquire Kaze No Stigma and will be release in 2009.

But the big news for this week is, Sony Pictures has pick up the license rights to Oshii's Sky Crawlers movie. YAY!

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:04 am

Kairi wrote:Er... not sure if this is official, but Wikipedia says Mermaid Melody has been licensed by ADV again, and the series will be released sometime in 2009.

Could anyone confirm this? All I've found is a trailer that someone posted, and I have no idea if it's authentic or not. The voices sound pretty convincing (up until 2:36 -- ugh). But I don't want to get too excited because this hasn't been announced on ANN or ADV's website yet.

Maybe since the manga has been licensed here, they're giving the anime another shot...? *shrugs* I can only hope!

I hate to break it to you, but ADV hasn't re license Mermaid Melody at all and its still unlicensed. The trailer that you saw on youtube is the 2004 ADV trailer and not a new trailer at all.

Its true that ADV did aquired the rights to Mermaid Melody. ADV passed on the license since it would be a big franchise and would have needed TV backing to be financially viable.

Wikipedia has also remove the Mermaid Melody has been licensed by ADV again, and the series will be released sometime in 2009 comment from the page.

Roy Mustang

Postby Sheenar » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:46 am

I heard that Monster has been licensed. Who has it?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Sheenar (post: 1260854) wrote:I heard that Monster has been licensed. Who has it?
VIZ Media.

Nil on a release date though.
Fish and Chips

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:09 pm

ADV has pick up the rights to Clannad and the ex Geneon Entertainment titles Mahoromatic and Tsukihime.

Also, Funimation has pick up the rights to Gainax and King Record's Shikabane Hime: Aka.

Roy Mustang

Postby Gy273 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:34 pm

I hope that Bandai will license the second season of Hayate. Looking forward to more anime licensing news.
Gy273

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Bandai Entertainment picks up Kurokami and will have a simultaneous TV broadcast with Japand and Korea and the US. It will be dubbed in English for Imaginasian TV in North America.

Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Just saw that.

It should be a relatively safe pre-license. It's action, Sunrise, and based on an existing manga. But how many people actually get Imaginasian TV again? That's kind of a strange choice to me. They should have gone for the Sci-Fi Channel instead.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:42 pm

MasterDias wrote:But how many people actually get Imaginasian TV again? That's kind of a strange choice to me. They should have gone for the Sci-Fi Channel instead.

Imaginasian TV has a very small market, but they did say that after they air the series on tv. It will be on dvd soon after that.

Roy Mustang

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:04 am

Okay, FUNimation's doing something now called New Show A Go Go, which is a series of new anime license announcements every day starting today and ending on New Years'.

Today's license is Ikki Tousen!
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:05 am

Funimation picks up the rights to Gad Guard Robot Adventure and the third release from Funimation is another ex Geneon Entertainment title, Vandread.

So far, it has been two ex Geneon Entertainment titles for the re release now.

Also, a new company has appeared on the scene out of St. Louis, and has licensed the series, Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh series.

Edit:

The next Funimation release is Nabari no Ou Ninja.

Roy Mustang

Postby teigeki_calesa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1277275) wrote:Also, a new company has appeared on the scene out of St. Louis, and has licensed the series, Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh series.

*rises from the dead*
This is....FOR real?!
Whoa. Now I do believe in the impossible. Although I doubt that it will sell up there in NA, but I'll wait and see.
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Last Exile fans will be happy about this.

Funimation will re-release Last Exile and Count of Monte Cristo.

They also pick up the rights to Oh! Edo Rocket.

Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:28 pm

Funimation has pick up Slayers RevolutionSlayers Revolution.

Well, this leave one block left for EVA 1.0 or Soul Eater to be release for the last block.

[font="Arial Narrow"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:55 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1277275) wrote:Also, a new company has appeared on the scene out of St. Louis, and has licensed the series, Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh series.

The company's called Anime Midstream.
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Forgot to list the name, when I posted that.

And Funimation has pick up Gungrave from Geneon. I don't know why they wanted that series for, they could have pick a lot better titles then this from Geneon.

Roy Mustang

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1278493) wrote:Forgot to list the name, when I posted that.

And Funimation has pick up Gungrave from Geneon. I don't know why they wanted that series for, they could have pick a lot better titles then this from Geneon.

Trigun or Samurai Champloo for instance. So I'm guessing the last license will be [spoiler="last license"]Evangelion 1.0: You are (not) alone [/spoiler]
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:18 pm

ilikegir33 wrote:Trigun or Samurai Champloo for instance. So I'm guessing the last license will be

Well, I didn't care for both of them, but if they should have got Samurai Champloo and Trigun. There is a fan base for it and there is not that big of a fan base for that Gungrave, since not a lot of people like it.

[color="Red"]
[font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/font]
[/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1278716) wrote:Well, I didn't care for both of them, but if they should have got Samurai Champloo and Trigun. There is a fan base for it and there is not that big of a fan base for that Gungrave, since not a lot of people like it.

I imagine Funimation has access to plenty of sales data about Geneon's different series and that's probably driving which licenses they are rescuing first. I haven't seen Gungrave but it looks like the type of show that would do really well for the "casual American anime fan" audience and it probably did well for Geneon originally. Gad Guard is surprising me more. But I would still have expected Trigun, Samurai Champloo, ROD the TV, or even Gatekeepers(the Gonzo factor) before Gungrave...

But what in the world happened to Soul Eater? One of those so-called "clues" could not possibly be anything else.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:19 pm

MasterDias wrote:I imagine Funimation has access to plenty of sales data about Geneon's different series and that's probably driving which licenses they are rescuing first. I haven't seen Gungrave but it looks like the type of show that would do really well for the "casual American anime fan" audience and it probably did well for Geneon originally. Gad Guard is surprising me more. But I would still have expected Trigun, Samurai Champloo, ROD the TV, or even Gatekeepers(the Gonzo factor) before Gungrave...

That's the thing, the casual anime fan that have seen Gungrave have called it crap. Most anime review sites gave Gungrave a bad rating for the most part.

Just about everyone that I know that heard about Gungrave being saved was, is this a joke?

Edit: What do you know, its not EVA 1.0 or Soul Eater. Funimation picks up another Geneon title and its Samurai Champloo.

There is only two things that I can make out of this new show a-go-go

Funimation is not done with it and will have report on New Year Day that they have EVA 1.0 or Soul Eater or both.

Or this new show a go go was nothing more the a re release party for Geneon titles with only three new animes being licensed from Japan.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1278758) wrote:That's the thing, the casual anime fan that have seen Gungrave have called it crap. Most anime review sites gave Gungrave a bad rating for the most part.

What review sites are you looking at? A cursory look through various review sites has netted me largely positive reviews for Gungrave.

About Samurai Champloo: I guess I spoke too soon. Now I'm wondering if Funimation has multiple licenses planned for...today or tomorrow.

MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

MasterDias wrote:What review sites are you looking at? A cursory look through various review sites has netted me largely positive reviews for Gungrave.

I can't remember, I want to say ANN but not sure.

But also, I have talk to anime fans that have seen it and about 90%]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:03 pm

So MasterDias was right. There were multiple licenses after all.

I'm slightly disappointed with Gungrave being re-licensed, but the other Geneon rescues (except for Ikki Tousen, I'm not into fanservice) are pretty promising. Now if they rescue Trigun and/or Paranoia Agent, I'll be very happy.

The new anime licenses are also cool, but I hate Nabari no Ou. I was also disappointed because FUNimation didn't license Zetsubou-Sensei (though I would rather ADV license it), Nanoha StrikerS, or Spice and Wolf! Better luck next time...
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Discotek Media has pick up the rights to Re-mastered version of the 1986 Fist of the North Star film and will be release with a sub and dub in May.

[color="Red"]
[font="Book Antiqua"]
Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 am

ilikegir33 (post: 1279078) wrote:I was also disappointed because FUNimation didn't license Zetsubou-Sensei
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is probably the least accessible Anime of all time. All the character's names are Japanese puns, a large dose of the humor is in split second kanji in chalk, etc. Any company that heavily localizes its licenses (and Funimation is) isn't going to touch it. Even companies experimenting with subbed-only distribution will have problems with the sheer ammount of translation shoehorned onto the screen at any given time.

It is possible Zetsubou is licensed, but I wouldn't pin anything on it.
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews