Anime license deals for North America

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:50 am

@Mechana- That. Is. AWESOME! You got to be in the room?! So jealous.....

And I saw the Funi blog with all that- it's SO GREAT! I'm really excited about most of this.
Atria35

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:11 am

Viz announced the simulcast of Nurarihyon no Mago.
And that should end the major announcements from AX.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Man, if I were at AX this year, a Funimation panel would be the last place I'd be spending my time.
blkmage

Postby airichan623 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 pm

*Sigh* why is no one licensing lovely complex or shugo chara! ?!? its really bugging me that they arent being licensed yet. -_- :mutter:

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Not sure if anyone knows of this or not, but I was at Best Buy yesterday, and I saw the complete collection of X/1999! Last I checked, it was OUT OF PRINT!! It looks like Funimation re-released it. Did they re-dub it?
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:44 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1406390) wrote:Not sure if anyone knows of this or not, but I was at Best Buy yesterday, and I saw the complete collection of X/1999! Last I checked, it was OUT OF PRINT!! It looks like Funimation re-released it. Did they re-dub it?

They has licensed it September of last year for re-distribution, and according to Wiki used the original dub that Geneon had: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_(manga)
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:43 pm

I am thrilled Funi got digital distribution rights to Sengoku Basara 2.

Sentai is streaming HSotD? They have a streaming outlet? I thought they just got the rights to release it on DVD.

Mech, you forgot to mention the best license rescue of 'em all...Haibane Renmei! I am so stoked for this...missed it the first time around and wasn't too keen on the second-hand prices.

Also: why stream Black Butler 2 when you aren't streaming the original series? It hasn't even been released on DVD (licensed?. Guess they are catering to the fansub-watchers.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Lilac#18 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:55 pm

[color="Plum"]Just finished watching Naruto Shippuden 3: Inheritors of the Will of Fire a little while ago.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:36 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1406502) wrote:Sentai is streaming HSotD? They have a streaming outlet? I thought they just got the rights to release it on DVD.

The Anime Network

Also: why stream Black Butler 2 when you aren't streaming the original series? It hasn't even been released on DVD (licensed?. Guess they are catering to the fansub-watchers.

They licensed Black Butler a few months ago, so they do have the rights. After this, I won't be surprised if they grab the streaming rights of continuations/sequels to series they have from now on.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:01 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: #247) wrote:Mech, you forgot to mention the best license rescue of 'em all...Haibane Renmei! I am so stoked for this...missed it the first time around and wasn't too keen on the second-hand prices.

Atria mentioned them in the post I quoted.

blkmage (post: 243) wrote:Man, if I were at AX this year, a Funimation panel would be the last place I'd be spending my time.

Where would you be instead?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:35 am

Granted, I don't know the schedule, but it just seems like they brought so many interesting (to me, I guess) guests this year (Megumi Nakajima and May'n, the Mangagamer people, Danny Choo's BRS "exclusive footage", KitaEri and Yui Horie, etc.) that I wouldn't really be expecting to be able to go to an industry panel (or be too exhausted for them).
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:03 am

blkmage (post: 1406574) wrote:Granted, I don't know the schedule, but it just seems like they brought so many interesting (to me, I guess) guests this year (Megumi Nakajima and May'n, the Mangagamer people, Danny Choo's BRS "exclusive footage", KitaEri and Yui Horie, etc.) that I wouldn't really be expecting to be able to go to an industry panel (or be too exhausted for them).

Horie was right before it, Choo before that. The only things it was overlapping were the Otaku Parliamentary Debates, NiconicoDouga101, a beginners Photoshop Panel and a model building panel. There was an Eden of the East panel on at the same time, but you had to sit through the hour and a half of the show beforehand and due to circumstances we would have been at the back of the room and the panel, probably unable to see or possibly hear anything.

Industry panels are actually nice and relaxing, and they announced when and where they were showing the Trigun movie at it, so it was pretty advantageous to be there.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm

goldenspines (post: 1407800) wrote:In response to Etoh, I very much doubt Funi will feel the need to redub any of the titles they are picking up (unless the dubs were terrible). I think they may treat them the same way they treated Samurai Champloo (which was keeping the old dub work and releasing it in a shiny new boxset).

Shame. I would have liked to see Tenchi Redubbed. I hated those voices.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Nate » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:01 pm

How in the world can you hate the Tenchi voices? The dub cast for Tenchi was absolutely stellar, one of the best dubs ever in my opinion. The ONLY voice that wasn't very good was that fruity pink-haired dude from the final (dubbed) episode, but that's like one episode.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cadence » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I almost cried with joy when I realized Haibane Renmei was one of the titles Funi picked up. It is my absolute favorite anime, and sadly, I only managed to get my hands on one of the DVDs at a reasonable price...I am so excited for this! A thousand "thank you"s to Funimation!!!!
Cadence

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Cadence (post: 1407853) wrote:I almost cried with joy when I realized Haibane Renmei was one of the titles Funi picked up. It is my absolute favorite anime, and sadly, I only managed to get my hands on one of the DVDs at a reasonable price...I am so excited for this! A thousand "thank you"s to Funimation!!!!

Yeah, I like have volume 1 of Haibane Renmei and there's 3 more to go. So if Funi is re-releasing it, I can buy the last 3 from them! YAY!! Or perhaps a boxed set.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1406274) wrote:Funimation announced that it licensed the Geneon anime titles Texhnolyze, Ai Yori Aoshi, Armitage III, Haibane Renmei, Hellsing(TV series), Serial Experiments Lain, Tenchi In Tokyo, Tenchi Universe, the Tenchi Muyo OVAs, and the Tenchi Muyo movies.

Dude, I'm really stoked to hear about this. XD I only just learned about Texhnolyze recently, but I thought it looked really good, just before noticing it was licensed by Geneon and hadn't been picked up. XD Here's hoping Funi releases it soon! And yay for re-licensing Haibane Renmei! I own the series already, but it's awesome that more people get to see it now!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I've been meaning to watch both Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei, so this is a pleasant surprise.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1406504) wrote:[color="Plum"]Just finished watching Naruto Shippuden 3: Inheritors of the Will of Fire a little while ago.[/color]

[color="Plum"]Could a mod please erase this from the top of the thread where it has the 7/3th date? I don't know how I accidently put this here. I must of thought I put this in the what anime are you watching or what movie are you watching thread.[/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1407895) wrote:I've been meaning to watch both Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Ah, Abe love is in the air.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:19 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1407924) wrote:Ah, Abe love is in the air.

This is a good thing.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:34 am

Any idea when we're getting those promised Sengoku Basara episodes?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:39 pm

The first episode of Sengoku Basara 2 only aired 5 days ago so they might still be working on the subs for it?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:41 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1409699) wrote:The first episode of Sengoku Basara 2 only aired 5 days ago so they might still be working on the subs for it?
Ah. Thought it aired on the 8th in FMA's vacated timeslot.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Sengoku Basara 2 is airing in the same timeslot that FMA aired in, Sunday 5pm JST. FMA was streamed several days after airing for reasons unknown.

No one is quite sure as to the status of Sengoku Basara and there is some growing concern/rumour that Funimation might have lost the license. Companies that stream subs typically don't work on the subs after airing; they'll have access to scripts beforehand, which is why you can have shows that stream only an hour after airing.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 pm

blkmage (post: 1409707) wrote:No one is quite sure as to the status of Sengoku Basara and there is some growing concern/rumour that Funimation might have lost the license.
This would be absolutely dreadful. Please, keep us informed, blkmage.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 pm

blkmage (post: 1409707) wrote:No one is quite sure as to the status of Sengoku Basara and there is some growing concern/rumour that Funimation might have lost the license.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. There is probably just some delay in getting it up. Wait until the next episode airs. The Legend of the Legendary Heroes had both of the first two episodes uploaded simultaneously after all.

MasterDias

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Bandai picked up Tales of the Abyss and Turn A Gundam.
Section23 Films/Neo-ADV has Canaan and Kimikiss: Pure Rouge.

I'm sort of surprised Turn A is getting licensed after all this time. It was Gundam's 20th Anniversary project, ten years ago. But it's good they are releasing more of the sci-fi and mecha shows they tend to be most known for.

On the other hand, Canaan being licensed was only a matter of time.

MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:17 am

Aniplex USA will re release Read or Die TV and OVA on a complete- Blu-ray box set will be released this winter!

Three OVA episodes and 26 TV episodes will be on 5 Blu-ray Discs. Both Japanese and English dub will be included.

No word, if they are going have these on DVD as well.

Also, EotE opening will only be showed on episode 1. The question came up at FUNimation panel.

Q: EotE opening not included on later eps?
A:Just episode 1..The reason is the music rights are a fun thing and we could only get the rights to the first episode. If we had to do it outside of that, it wouldn't have made the disc at all.

The music company wanted the rights to the song be a cost are per episode deal.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:10 pm

MasterDias (post: 1411453) wrote:Bandai picked up Tales of the Abyss and Turn A Gundam.

Holy crap, really?! Turn A finally got licensed after ten freaking years? YAY! I am so buying it when it comes out.

Now they just need to license Victory Gundam.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews