I've been trying to get some of the reviews approved, since I KNOW it's annoyed you guys that there's been so much delay in our review approval time. I apologize for that. However, as I've been trying to get some reviews up, I've been shocked by the grammar genocide that I've encountered. Because I am a lover of grammar, and it breaks my heart to see commas being abused and end marks mangled. So, I thought I'd just write up a few quick rules for our future review submissions:
1) An ellipsis consists of three periods. An ellipsis is used when you wish to indicate a pause. However, please, use them sparingly. If a period or an exclamation point can be used in the place of it, use it. Whatever you do, please, do NOT use more than three periods. If you say anything like "Well...........................................", your review will probably be deleted. Why? Because we hold our CAA reviews to high standards, and these standards involve grammatical accuracy. When you use 59 periods after the word "well," that just makes more work for the mod who corrects it. Plus, the overuse of the period puts us in a situation where the ellipsis looses its impact. Afterall, if you require 10 periods to indicate a pause, and, later in the review, you want an even LONGER pause, that will require the use of 12 periods. So forth and so on.
2) Please, don't use more than two or three exclamation marks. I know this is the internet and everyone overuses the exclamation point, but, being the Grammar fiends that we are, Gypsy and I will just cut those superfluous exclamation points anyways. Please, save us the trouble. One or two will be more than enough.
3) Capitalize the first word of every sentence. I know it's a simple rule, but you guys would be surprised how many reviews lack this grammatical nicety.
4) Please, capitalize the pronoun "I." I'm not going to explain this one. All I know is that if four more people submit reviews which feature phrases like "i loev this show!!!!!!", the planet will likely implode. Capitalize the word "I," people. Save the home planet.
5) I just thought of a really important point I'd like to accent concerning the objectionable language section of the review. When you're notating which objectionable words are in the series, please don't say "the b-word," because, as many of you might have considered, there's more than one objectionable word beginning with the letter "b." When you're going to detail language, please, just place an asterisk (*) in place of the place of the first vowel in the word (ex: H*ll, D*mn)
Now, I'll no doubt add rules as I read, but these cover the bases. Basically, if your review breaks all these rules, I'm going to cry. And then I'm going to delete your review. The mods are all too busy to rewrite the reviews and THEN approve them. Thank you so much! I hate being the voice of doom, but it had to be done.
Edit: Thank you W4J for pointing out those typos. They have been corrected. I will pay more careful attention to my own statements and reviews in the future.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear.
These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill.
These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.
Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.
But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.