Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed May 16, 2007 9:51 pm

crazypackersfan wrote:Hi, this is my first post... I'm looking for some sort of anime to watch, mainly for the summer. I'd probably be most interested in a show with romance and some sort of adventure/action. I'm not exactly the most experienced anime watcher in the world... these are the only ones I've ever really gotten into...

Sailor Moon
Tenchi Muyo (specifically Tenchi Universe)
Pokemon
Cardcaptor Sakura

These are probably all ancient by now. If there's a show that sort of matches my description that's currently airing on American TV (probably Cartoon Network), then that would be best. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll second the Kaleido Star recommendation and add Pretear to that. It's only 13 episodes long, but since you seem to like the magical girl genre, this might be something you'll enjoy. Here's the CAA review.

Also, another one you may want to check out in the future is Air (tv). It's been licensed by ADV, and so you should be able to find it on DVD soon. Again, here's CAA's review of it. Both anime are relatively clean, so hopefully you'll find something you enjoy! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon May 28, 2007 6:02 pm

I do second the Pretear and Air recommendations but another show you'll like is Magic Knight Rayearth. It's pretty clean too, and it has an ultra cute mascot named Mokona! :) Speaking of which, I think you'll like Tsubasa: Chronicle. It's coming in June, and it's clean except for some violence. The heroes are Syaoran and Sakura, but they're older. I think you'll like MKR and Tsubasa, crazypackersfan.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon May 28, 2007 6:59 pm

crazypackersfan wrote:Hi, this is my first post... I'm looking for some sort of anime to watch, mainly for the summer. I'd probably be most interested in a show with romance and some sort of adventure/action. I'm not exactly the most experienced anime watcher in the world... these are the only ones I've ever really gotten into...

Sailor Moon
Tenchi Muyo (specifically Tenchi Universe)
Pokemon
Cardcaptor Sakura

These are probably all ancient by now. If there's a show that sort of matches my description that's currently airing on American TV (probably Cartoon Network), then that would be best. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Looks like you can handle some good old fashion magical girl anime. In that case, I STRONGLY recommend Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Granted, some of the episodes are fillerish and a little childish, but if you can push past that, it's one of the best, most emotionally impacting anime that I've ever seen.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Cardinalman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:11 pm

Im looking for something that is full of action

Im following these anime
naruto
blood+
Bleach
Gundam seed and seed destiny (Manga form)
eureka 7 (manga form)

any recomendations, if so were can I find it. (In English if you can find it)
Cardinalman

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:46 pm

Noir is a really nice action show. Granted, there are some content issues (which you can read about in our review section), but if you can fast forward through those, it's a got some very impressive gun fights. Concerning where you can get it, it's available in a very well priced thin pack box set (like, $50, I think) that you can pick up at Best Buy. :)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:04 pm

Cardinalman wrote:Im looking for something that is full of action

Im following these anime
naruto
blood+
Bleach
eureka 7 (manga form)

full of action?
try:
Yu Yu Hakusho or Samurai Champloo

other possibilities are:
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai 7
Getbackers
Hunter x Hunter
Karas - OVA (really short though...)

if you're looking for manga recommendations, post in the Manga Recommendation Thread, located in the Manga Section.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Aleolus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:00 pm

Cardinalman wrote:Im looking for something that is full of action

Im following these anime
naruto
blood+
Bleach
eureka 7 (manga form)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned InuYasha yet. I would say that if you like Naruto, there's a pretty good chance you'd like InuYasha. Not that they're similar, but they're set in the same timeframe, and have about the same amount of action and comedy. The main difference, InuYasha has more romance than Naruto.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Aleolus wrote:The main difference, InuYasha has more romance than Naruto.

i don't think Naruto has any romance really. other than the fact that one of the main characters has a minor crush on one of the other main characters...

anyways, i forgot to mention that if you're looking for action, give One Piece a try.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Cardinalman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Thanks for the recomendations
Cardinalman

Postby Kura Ookami » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Since this is where we're meant to ask for and make recommandations I'll copy what i typed earlier.

I'm looking for new animes, which don't have fanservice if possible. To give you an idea of what kind of thing to recommand, i really enjoyed:

Angelic Layer
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Comic Party

As far as i recall none of those have any fanservice. Got any recommendations?

Oh Ich1990. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is a murder mystery anime, but it's pretty violent in parts.

EDIT: For completeness' sake
[Quote=Tancos]Denno Coil — imagine cyberpunk by Miyazaki. If the first three episodes are representative, this is one of the two best shows of this year.

Seirei no Moribito — the other outstanding current show. A spearwoman in a mythical Asian land becomes the bodyguard of a young prince whose father wants him dead.

Cardcaptor Sakura, if you haven't already seen it, particularly if you like Angelic Layer. (Although there's no fanservice, it does may some reservations in that same-sex attraction is part of the story.)[/Quote]

[Quote=Jon Jinn]this should really be in the Anime Recommendations thread but here are my suggestions:

Samurai 7
Yu Yu Hakusho
Fullmetal Alchemist
Witch Hunter Robin
Hunter x Hunter[/Quote]

Thanks for your suggestions you two. :)
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby Aleolus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:13 am

Kura Ookami wrote:Since this is where we're meant to ask for and make recommandations I'll copy what i typed earlier.

I'm looking for new animes, which don't have fanservice if possible. To give you an idea of what kind of thing to recommand, i really enjoyed:

Angelic Layer
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Comic Party

As far as i recall none of those have any fanservice. Got any recommendations?

Oh Ich1990. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is a murder mystery anime, but it's pretty violent in parts.

EDIT: For completeness' sake

Thanks for your suggestions you two. :)

I don't know of many anime that don't have some kind of fanservice in them. The only one I could recommend would be Record of Lodoss War. However, I can tell you a number of series to stay away from.
1: Eiken. Pure fanservice. Almost no storyline, and what story there is is extremely flimsy. Almost every girl is DDD or larger, and there's a sixth-grader with F cups!
2: Sorcerer Hunters: The main female character's "transformed" states are wearing excessivly skimpy clothing, and the group leader, Carrot, is a pervert.
3: UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie. Most of the fanservice in this series is in the form of catgirls, though there are a number of panty shots as well.
I can go on.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:31 pm

[quote="Akima-Chan"]I'm a bit new to CAA, I have read alot of the reviews, but I just recently made an account here. I am currently looking for a new anime to watch since sadly Naruto is no longer on Youtube..and just when it was getting good again *sigh* anyway, back to the subject. I'm interested in mainly romantic comedies, also Adventure/Fantasy/Romance as well. Here are a few animes I've enjoyed]

first and foremost, welcome to CAA, Akima-Chan. anyways, if you like(d) naruto, i suggest you give Bleach, One Piece, and Getbackers a try.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:12 pm

[quote="Akima-Chan"]I'm a bit new to CAA, I have read alot of the reviews, but I just recently made an account here. I am currently looking for a new anime to watch since sadly Naruto is no longer on Youtube..and just when it was getting good again *sigh* anyway, back to the subject. I'm interested in mainly romantic comedies, also Adventure/Fantasy/Romance as well. Here are a few animes I've enjoyed]

Judging from this list, you will probably enjoy "The Familiar of Zero". Imagine some of the above items with a little Harry Potter mixed in. It is only available as funsub at the moment, but Geneon has licensed it, to be released (I think) later this year.

Two issues that may be of concern. A male character (we'll call him a servant, to avoid spoilers) is often present in the room when a female character is changing her clothes, and another female character is definite designated fan-service, although very mild compared to most shows. I had no issue letting my fifteen-year-old watch, if that helps.

The main problem with Anime romantic comedies is indeed the Japanese sense of humor, which runs a bit on the dirty side. Because of that, some CAA members love 'Ranma', 'Urusei Yatsura', 'Maisson Ikkoku', while others are appalled by certain content in these same shows. These are all by the creator of 'Inu Yasha', by the way. Another in the same light (but by someone else) is fansub-only at the moment 'Inu Kami'. I'm mentioning this not as a recommendation but as a warning. Despite it's being a well-written, fun show, it is also riddled with problematic content.

A fun show without too many problems is 'Azumanga Daioh'. Follows 'typical' (or not) High School girls through three years of school. Very funny.

Another one to recommend. It's a classic called "Cat's Eye" that doesn't easily fit in your list, but somewhat fits the description "Adventure-Fantasy-Romance". Fan-service is minimal ( a fair number of swimsuits and body suits but this is a show from before the days of distorted female physiques, so it isn't as bothersome as modern shows with such scenes.) First legal release to the US is next month, and ImaginAsian TV is currently showing the episodes in the morning (7:30 CDT) If you get that channel, start watching, because they only just started the series this week.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Seeing how I am in the midst of such knowlegdable people, I would really like some anime help. I like many cancelled shows like Android Kikaider, Maison Ikkoku, Case Closed, and Gokusen. If you know of any shoujo-base anime with comedy, humor, and non-demon based shows or series, please let me know.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Hmmm... The aforementioned Cat's Eye definitely fits, but I'm going to say Orguss. From the same era as Cat's Eye, this is a sci-fi classic from the same outfit that gave us Macross, Robotech, etc. (and apparently set in an alternate universe related to same.) The same outfit (ImaginAsian TV) has picked it up and started releasing it subtitled as well as showing it on their cable station.

A little more recent recommendation is Sakura Wars, which is a Shoujo Steampunk series now on my mind because of the much more recent Manga version (Sakura Taisen) that I recently began reading. I've seen only a few episodes of the anime, but I remember it as being very good.

Much more recent, but based on a classic Manga, is the Oh, My Goddess TV series. As it is strongly Shinto based (although dressed up in Scandinavian Mythology, the ideals and structure much more strongly resemble Eastern religion to no surprise) so I'm not sure how it rates on your 'non-demon based' requirement.

From the same creator, the You're Under Arrest series, but it has one problematic character (a transvestite with seriously weird identity issues) who gives some Christians trouble.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Kura Ookami » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 am

Okay, i've been thinking about what kind of animes i generally like so now i can be more specific in my request. My current top ten are:

1 - Ikkitousen
2 - Magical Canan
3 - Angelic Layer
4 - Kannazuki no Miko
5 - Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
6 - She the ultimate Weapon aka Saikano
7 - The Melancholy Of Suzumiya Haruhi
8 - He Is My Master
9 - Shuffle!
10 - Comic Party

Most of those are romance or shoujo so that's what i'm requesting. Romance that is more on the serious side than romantic comedies. though i like romantic comedies too. Also i like psychological animes like Higurashi. Any animes like that would be good as well.
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby Aleolus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:26 am

...I thought you wanted anime without fanservice? Ikkitousen has tons of it. Panty shots galore, and the main characters shirt gets ripped to shreds at least once an episode.

Anyway, going from that list, you might like Tokyo Mew Mew (Mew Mew Power in the English), Ai Yori Aoshi, and Love Hina.

I still say avoid Eiken like the plauge. As a matter of fact, I should make a petition to put Eiken on the DND list. Gonna get right on that.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:07 pm

yeah. i heard that Shuffle has a bit of fan service as well. but anyways, you might want to give Monster a try...(as i said in my PM to you.)

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:24 pm

Aleolus wrote:I still say avoid Eiken like the plauge. As a matter of fact, I should make a petition to put Eiken on the DND list. Gonna get right on that.

Please do not confuse the DND list for the trash bin.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mononoke » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:18 pm

I need some good funny (if possible school-themed) animes to watch, I just finished that Ouran host club one, and i loved it! any suggestions?
Mononoke

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:09 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:Please do not confuse the DND list for the trash bin.

As a rep of the staff, I can't agree more.

The DND is often pretty terribly misunderstood. For clarification purposes, let me reiterate: The Do Not Discuss list is not the "These titles were written, directed, produced, and voiced by the devil himself" list. Additionally, it is not a "These titles are pathetically bad, so don't even bother watching them" list. Also, while it's most often mistake for this, it is not even a "These titles are completely inappropriate list", which, granted, many of the titles on the DND list might be. No, the DNDL exists to ban the discussion of certain titles that have caused repeated hateful and unproductive conversations. (Notice that the One Piece Dub is on the DNDL for this very reason.) It exists to maintain civility on CAA, not to establish CAA approved viewing standards.

I hope that helps! :)

Mangafanatic

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:52 pm

Mononoke wrote:I need some good funny (if possible school-themed) animes to watch, I just finished that Ouran host club one, and i loved it! any suggestions?

I have two suggestions that might work, depending on what part of Ouran host club you actually enjoyed. Someone already suggested Azumanga Daioh, which I also heartily recommend, but on top of that, consider:

Princess Nine (actually a sports anime, but about a high-toned Girl's High School starting up a baseball team. Kind of somewhere in-between high school themed Anime and 'A League of Their Own'.)

Pani Poni Dash is downright weird, and outright manic in spots. In places it becomes almost impossible to follow because so much stuff is packed into it. I've watched episodes three or more times and still found things I missed on the previous go. A sideline of the show features two very strange characters that I don't get, but my kids think are hilarious (a depressed bunny and a cat who thinks he's God) but the rest of the show is a favorite for myself, my teenager, and my elementary schooler. Very few anime actually work for all three of us.

I said two, but while I was typing, a couple more came to mind. These both lean more in the Pani Poni Dash direction:

SuperGALS! I'm not sure how to describe this one, except to say, there's something truly inspiring about a kogal who can handle herself in a fight. Didn't help? You'll just have to watch the show.

Cromartie High School is some of the lowest quality animation you will ever see in Anime, and I actually recommend against watching the subtitled version, because they attempt to directly translate the jokes. However, if you watch it in English dub, you are in for a treat. They did an excellent job of rewriting the jokes to work better in translation (they did this in Azumanga Daioh somewhat as well, but I think they also did so in the sub in AD's case.) The result is a very, very funny show. The animation remains terrible, but they sort of use it to their advantage for the comedy.

EricTheFred

Postby Chrysolite » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Mononoke wrote:I need some good funny (if possible school-themed) animes to watch, I just finished that Ouran host club one, and i loved it! any suggestions?

I'll take a stab in the dark and suggest Ultramaniac. I haven't seen any of the titles previously suggested, but I liked Ultramaniac. I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it. It's about a 'witch', but the concept is approached in a "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" sort of way. I mean, the girl pulls spells out of her PC, for goodness sake! It was very silly and filled with child humor, but was also very clean. The closest it comes to being even slightly objectionable is the transformation sequence in which a girl is a glowing silhouette for a split second before she's in a full set of clothes. The story is charming, but not particularly original. It's a typical anime romantic comedy with a cute and unexpected ending. Oh, and it is in a school setting. ;)

To be honest, though, I preferred the manga.
Chrysolite

Postby Mononoke » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Now I have lots to watch :D
Mononoke

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:38 am

I'm curious what you like about these. Most of them have both a lot of action, and a strong series-long storyline.

Either way, I have two furthur recommendations based on this. One is "Noir". You will find a very well-done article on it in the CAA review section, so no need to talk further here. The other one is brand new and not released in the US yet, but ADV just announced that they licensed it the other day. A release date hasn't been set. In Japanese it's called "Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou: Tou", but the article about the licensing was calling it just "Tokyo Majin". Anyone into Bebop, Bleach and Blood+ is going to love this one.

EricTheFred

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:14 pm

EricTheFred wrote:The other one is brand new and not released in the US yet, but ADV just announced that they licensed it the other day. A release date hasn't been set. In Japanese it's called "Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou: Tou", but the article about the licensing was calling it just "Tokyo Majin". Anyone into Bebop, Bleach and Blood+ is going to love this one.

wow. i've never heard of this series but it looks quite interesting.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Gy273 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:56 am

I'm looking for some good action and comedy anime whatever it is called. The shows I've watched or am watching are Bleach, Trinity blood, One piece, Naruto and Inuyasha. Thank you. Almost forgot Yu Yu Hakusho.
Gy273

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:07 am

Welcome to CAA Gy273. If you want a good action comedy anime, watch Shakugan no Shana or Black Cat. They start out slow but when they get going, they really get going.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Gy273 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:18 am

I'll be sure to try those.
Gy273

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:56 pm

GY273, here are my suggestions:

Samurai 7
Getbackers
Hunter x Hunter
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
(possibly) Karas - OVA

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews