Saint Tail

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Saint Tail

Postby Gypsy » Fri May 30, 2003 9:10 am

Ok, I believe it was Turbo that recommended this anime, so I went out and bought it. However, that doesn't mean I've watched it yet. I have approx. 80 hours of unwatched anime that I have bought and just haven't had the time to sit down and view yet. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had seen Saint Tail, if they knew how many episodes there are, and if there is an English dubbed version of it. I bought a 3 dvd set, but I checked *after* I had opened the shrink-wrap, and it was a subbed version - which led me to wonder if they made and dubbed series. Not that I don't like subbed - about 40% of the anime I own is subbed. Just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their heads about this, and if not - tell me to get off my lazy butt and go check around online for myself.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

LOL

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Fri May 30, 2003 12:24 pm

I would not have said it that way, but it is always good to check online for reviews or even rent from a video store before purchasing a new title.

some info i found... i haven't seen this one yet.

* Mixx Entertainment

Saint Tail info:

This new title from Mixx's Chix Comix line is very similar to Dark Horse's SHADOW LADY. Accept this cat burglar has made a pact with God instead of a demon. Meimi looks like a normal schoolgirl(actually an slightly older version of CARD CAPTOR SAKURA)who recieves missions from a local young nun to reclaim stolen objects and return them to their rightful owners. So she dons her magical girl getup and goes into action as the vigilante, Saint Tail. This might seem nice, but the police see her as a theif too and are constantly out to get her, especially Meimi's classmate, Asuka Jr.(no relation to the Asuka from EVANGELION!). He is the son of a police detective who is out to catch Saint Tail, and Jr. tries to catch her on his own. Of course there's the plot device that disallows anyone from recognizing Meimi as Saint Tail even though she doesn't wear a mask. SAINT TAIL has most of the maho shoujo elements like a cute sidekick, in this case a hedgehog. The creator, Megumi Tachigawa, originally titled it MYSTERIOUS THEIF SAINT TAIL It was made into a anime TV series too, which so far there are no plans to release in America. Alot of plot points of this story were later on rehashed for another series called KAMIKAZE THIEF JEANNE, which is also planned for an English translation soon. SAINT TAIL it very cute and a fine addition to the recent wave of magical girl comics that have hit the States. Snuggle it in right next to your copies of MAGIC NIGHT RAYEARTH.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Re: LOL

Postby BrianC » Fri May 30, 2003 3:22 pm

Originally posted by WhiteÃ…ngel
MYSTERIOUS THEIF SAINT TAIL It was made into a anime TV series too, which so far there are no plans to release in America.

Actually, the TV series was released here by Tokyopop. The final boxed set of the series just came out here recently. The majority of the DVD volumes of Saint Tail that came here were subbed only, but the first volume of it did have an English dub. I heard that the English dub was missing all referances to God and Tokyopop tried and failed to get the series on TV. Tokyopop gave up with the dub and decided to release the rest of the series subbed only, probably because they were losing money on the series.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Saint Tail

Postby Turbocat » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:13 pm

Hopefully in the future I will have the time to type up a proper review, but I really do recommend Saint Tail. I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the entire series and it was so sweet and innocent, refreshing really. The love story is really sweet and as magical girl shows go, it lacks the less favorable elements such as occult references and homosexual overtones, while it keeps all the elements that make maho shoujo so cute- without going overboard. The 'magic' in Saint Tail is the plain old sleight of hand stuff, not any mystical or occult magic.

I watched a fansub of the show, so I have no idea about the commercial version -if it is anything like the sub I saw there is prayer and plenty of references to God...I've never seen the dub. If I had any money, I definitely would consider adding this series to my collection.

P.S. Another reason I love this anime- Meimi's parents have a strong, loving marriage that is heavily developed in the series.

In Christ,
Turbo
(no time for avatars or sigs now)
In Christ,

Turbo =^.^=
Turbocat

Postby Lightbringer » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:31 pm

I dont know anything about it, but i like it cause its got two things i find cool, one... Saint is my matrix name, and two a tail is something I wish I had. ( cat tail that is, not monkeys)

:D

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:19 pm

Ah, Saint Tail... I acutally own all of the manga including the epilogue. Sadly, the manga in now still in Indonesia or I can provide some details (hehe, tails) about it. ^^

Never watched the anime though, wonder if the plot is the same....

Anyway, it's really nice and clean and full of waffy moments. And I particularly loved the climax at the end (not spoiling it!) where through the nun's (Seira) prayer Meimi (Saint Tail at the moment) got a helping hand from above ^^ And both of them pray for God's guidance before they um--steal each time.

It hard to find good and clean series nowadays, but Saint Tail is definitely one ^^
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:14 am

Well, I can happily say that I love this series! Thanks to Turbo's high recommendations on the other board, I bought some St Tail dvds, and it hooked me just as fast as Angelic Layer did. Actually, I trotted over to ebay and poked around for the first 6 dvds in the series. Yay!
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Izumi San » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:46 pm

I've only got the 1st 3 dvds & the manga #4-15, but I love the series so far!! I actaully made a small Saint Tail site 2 years ago, but that was before I knew any type of html XD Check it out if you like ^^

http://meimisworld.freehomepage.com
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:38 am

Not bad at all for not knowing a lot of HTML. Cute site!
Gypsy

wow

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:59 am

80 hours of anime unseen? ever considering giving your aldready seen series away to overseas missionaries? me being one.........wed really apreciate it we live on very small budgets and dotn have money for anime. :sniffle:
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:19 am

Lol, well, I've whittled it down to closer to 50 hours now. That's what being sick for 4 days straight will do for ya.
Gypsy

but............

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:36 am

are you gonna contribute anything to me im an oversea missionary............will you at least sell me some used anime at cheap prices????????????????????
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Izumi San » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:51 pm

Thanks Gypsy ^^ Poor O.C., no anime !!
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews