Weirdest Reason for Watching an Anime?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Weirdest Reason for Watching an Anime?

Postby Iapetus » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:32 am

This is a spin-off the "Dumb reasons for not watch a particular anime" thread. What is the weirdest reason you had for watching an anime (which in the end you really liked)? This can also extend to manga, but I'm curious.

My own:

Saiyuki. I heard in some description about a dragon that turned into a Jeep. I was like "WHAAT?" Forget the bishies. Forget looking up actual DVD summaries. I had to see this dragon that turned into a Jeep. I did... It is my favorite anime (not only because of the dragon/jeep).

-Iapetus
Iapetus

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:06 pm

Well, since my computer connection is too piddly-poo to download anything, a friend of mine with a better connection sometimes burns CDs of (Legal!) fansubs for me... Anyway, she sent me a series she was describing to me that I quite loved...

"Azumanga Daioh!"

I think the major reason I wanted to see it was because my friend described one of the characters - that she was continually being bitten by cats. :sweat: I wanted to see that! This poor girl getting bitten by cats all the time!

After seeing the anime... Sakaki is my favorite charcter. Heh.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby The Silence » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:39 pm

i watch a lot of confusing otherwise unworthy anime just for the beautiful art... but i don't think that's THAT weird....
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:59 pm

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight-The price just dropped from $100 to $60 for the complete series, so I bought and watched it; and, I'm glad that I did. This isn't very weird, except for the fact that I waited so long to see such great anime!
cbwing0

Postby Tet-chan » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:21 pm

I started watching anime cause my dad watch them :lol:
Tet-chan

Postby CobaltAngel » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:29 pm

Sometimes I just watch anime so I can try to draw the characters. =^_^=
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:38 pm

Uh... because it just happened to be on at the time? ^_^;
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:27 am

Saiyuki because of the darling Goku avatars I was seeing here. How sad is that?
Aka-chan

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:14 am

I can't think of anything TOO weird, but I watched Ah! MyGoddess! and Ranma because a penpal I had actually sent me copies of some episodes in the mail. This was before I was into anime.
Spiritsword

Postby CDLviking » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:40 am

I watched Voices of a Distant Star to see what one man was capable of doing by himself.
CDLviking

Postby Debitt » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:51 am

I watched Infinite Ryvius because there was a ferret.

I watched Saiyuki because I saw Goku on a website's layout and proceeded to lick the monitor

I watched Mantantei Loki Ragnarok because I found a site that had that series as well as Fullmetal Alchemist up for download. My friend wanted me to download Fullmetal Alchemist. I downloaded Mantantei Loki Ragnarok to annoy her and now I'm hooked. :lol:

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby brantelg » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:27 am

I watched Dai-Guard cuz I liked how the big mecha looks
brantelg

Postby susuki » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:39 am

Well I can tell ya'll my stupidest reason for watching one. I watched Tenchi in tokyo and Tenchi universe because the girls are so hot in that!
susuki

Postby CDLviking » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:07 pm

I also watch shows if they have good AMVs.
CDLviking

Postby Iapetus » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:10 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:I watched Saiyuki because I saw Goku on a website's layout and proceeded to lick the monitor

:lol: One of my Goku fanatic friends did that when she first saw him too. He is a cutie, isn't he? ;) *whispers*But Sanzo's better.

-Iapetus
Iapetus

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:49 pm

i started watching rurouni kenshin because i thought ken and sano are cute XD. now i like because of wht it is.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:57 pm

I once bought the box set of Neia_7 on a whim because it said, "domestic poor@ animation." I was curious as to what that meant. Poor people who needed money making anime? I thought it might be unusual. It was unusual; but, also very enjoyable and got me hooked on everything Yashatori ABe did. It's one of the reasons I bought Haibane Renmai.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:47 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho, because the first episode was titled Surprised to Be Dead and the first few lines were, "This is the hero of our story, but he's dead!" I just had to see how it worked out.

And Sailor Moon because I was young-ish and there was a whole day marathon and the girls in it looked so cool and tough. Then I proceeded to make my dad watch it with me. :sweat:

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby DrNic » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:48 am

This is the best:

My non-christian friend said he had seen four episodes of NGE so I bought the Boxset. Taking a BIG risk or what?! Luckily I'm one of those people not offended by it. VERY lucky! ^_^ Lol!
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby panegryst » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:04 am

I watched Blue Gender 'cause it was like 4 AM and I was going to turn off the TV and go to sleep, but this show came on, and there was this mecha with BLADES ATTACHED TO THE BACK and I was all like "FREAKING sweet!!" and I watched, and stuff got shot/blown up/STABBED etc., and I was like, "Pretty cool," and then on the 'Next Episode' preview it was all like, "Yuji FLIPS OUT and pwnz0rs EVERYTHING!!"

And I was completely hooked.

[/ incoherency]
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby Bokushi_Ash » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:37 am

Haha, I watch InuYasha because my sister was curious but cautious of it, until she found out that one of the guys had a freakishly large tail, and she needed to see it.
Once upon a time, there was an ugly barnacle, and he was so ugly, everyone DIED! The End! - Patrick

Let's just say there were two mice and leave it at that! -My sister's attempt at a joke about mice
Bokushi_Ash

Postby Ssjjvash » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:38 am

I watched Trigun just to silence my brother who kept saying it was the best show in the world and I at first I hated it.
then half a year later, when he still hadn't given up on me--thank God, lol,--I watched it a little more and wrote a fanfic and was hooked after that.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:31 am

I watched Read or Die because I thought there was a librarian in it. (Didn't really care for it, but ah, well.)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby justice » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:45 am

i watched sailor moon because of the dramatics... and also because of Artemis, the cutest white cat there is... err... is this wierd or no?
once a friend, always a friend to the end! :thumb:
justice

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:21 am

I bought Blue Submarine No.6 JUST because the animation was "digitized cool" I wasn't dissapionted by the action or the great looking art, but the storyline and unneeded nudity was a real dissapiontment. Really, the only reason at all to watch Blue Sub 6 is because of how great the feel and look of it is.
Ichigo_89

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:13 am

Tenchi: I have an AMV tape with assorted Tenchi clips set to Soul Coughing's "Super Genius".

Last Exile: Because I recognized the vol. 1 box art from Sieg9986's sig.

Fighting Spirit: Because the chorus in the opening theme has such great Engrish.
"I want to dive lost mind!
I want to dive lost mind!
I want feeling, I want feeling,
[something in Japanese here]
Why, why, why, why
I want to dive
Feeling over!
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Debitt » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:46 am

:lol: I watched Kyou Kara Maou because the ending theme song was catchy and addictive and got stuck in my head for three days straight.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:55 am

Azumanga:
my friend heard from her friend that it was a scary anime, because a girl flies with pigtails and then while cooking, made a cat! Then I HAD to see it!

Digimon:
Back in the day I seen 2 seconds of it and thought it was a stupid Pokemon ripoff (and they could talk!!) I watched it the next week and then loved it.

Wolf's Rain:
Seen an ep and showed one to my friend (since she likes wolves and bishies) and now she's obsessed with it and buys every DVD when it comes out.

Akira:
Supposingly hearing that it was "THE BEST ANIME IN EXISTANCE" I had to watch it to see just what was so great about it :/ Found out, well, not much :/

Cat Soup:
With the little review titled "It's Hello Kitty on acid!" I had to see just how weird it was... Please, do not watch this.

Chobits:
I thought they were cat-people so I looked into it.

Cowboy Bebop:Knockin' on Heaven's Door (aka the Movie):
Only watched it to see how "amazing" the show was. Didn't interest me enough to watch any more of the series :/

Fruits Basket:
Seen a manga ad in Anime Insider and well, got me watching the anime!

Inuyasha:
Some show with an interesting looking main character that's a dog-demon... yeah I think I'll try and watch it!

Gundam Wing Endless Waltz:
I only bought the DVD because I saw a preview and liked the song White Reflection v_v If that's not sad, I don't know what is!

Perfect Blue and Blood: the Last Vampire:
Both VHS came to $9 and I had no idea what they were about but supposingly "masterpieces" I bought them :/ (Don't own either anymore, though)

Pokemon:
My friend said this yellow thing dies every episode... I was thinking it was sort of a Kenny trend and watch it, and then got hooked at the time.

Saikano and Graveyard of the Fireflies:
Heard they were both AMAZING, but tear-jerkers. Well, they both weren't that great of titles (especially Saikano) IMO, and they were more a shocking-depressing series, rather than sad dramas, really.

Tenchi:
Since Canadians don't get CN, I heard about Tenchi and saw a pic of Washu, and though the show was about a person named tenchi with bright red hair, happliy living in some mushroom village (I'm not kidding about that... That's my imagination for ya!)

X/1999:
Oooo good looking animation!

RahXephon:
Oooo angelish wings!

Angel Sanctuary:
Wow, a story about angels battling demons or something... *cough* Oh man, was I way off!

That's about it an "interesting" reasons, why I watched these.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Kenchii » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:07 am

Humm. to check out the animation format. :hits_self
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Gotjen » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:38 pm

The dunmbest reason I've ever watched an anime? Angelic Layer, because when I got a slight glance of the main character in the intro theme while my brother was watching it, I thought she looked like Shinji Ikari. I didn't know it was a girl at the time, but whatever :P
Gotjen

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews