Chance Pop Session - complete review

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Chance Pop Session - complete review

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:01 am

Chance Pop Session

Released by: ADV Films

Number of Episodes: …uh I can’t remember exactly. 20 something half hour episodes (3 dvds - and they come with stickers!)

Distributor’s Rating: 12+

Synopsis: Akari has always sung in her church choir, yet she longs for more. Yuki works very hard at her job during the day and tirelessly sings with her band at night. Nozomi, although she’s the daughter of a millionaire, wants something she knows money can never buy. These three girls meet by chance (thus the name Chance Pop Session. Actually, it’s called Chance Triangle Session) at the concert of their mutual singing heroine – Reka. They later find out that Reka’s manager runs a school of music, and all three girls are determined to attend and make their dreams of becoming stars and touching people’s hearts a reality. Will the Angel of Music shine on these three special girls?

Violence: None

Language: I don’t remember hearing any, so if there is some, it’s very minor.

Nudity/Sex: Nothing explicit or outright. Reka’s outfits are a little skimpy sometimes, but that’s it. It’s implied that one of the minor characters has premarital sex. One of Yuki’s songs has a line about waking up in a strange place and not know the name of the person beside her.

Religious Content: The Angel of Music is mentioned, but it’s not really a religious reference. Akari sings in her church choir and the minister is her guardian. At the very beginning, you hear Akari’s choir sing a song to God.

Anime Style: Well, it’s definitely a unique style. It was very simple, but classy at the same time. I mean, it’s not so unique that it’s distracting, but I don’t know of any other anime to compare the style to.

5/5

I enjoyed this series very much. It was very inspiring, because the whole theme was following your dreams no matter what. There were lessons in friendship and sticking with your friends through thick and thin. Throughout the series, the girls work through success, failure, jealousy, grief, and ultimately growing up. There were only two other things that I could think that anyone could ever have a problem with. Number one, although it was only implied, one of the characters (not one of the main ones) was favorable of abortion. This character was proven very wrong, although again, it was something the viewers have to figure out for themselves. Another one was that a few times in the series, authority was questioned and sometimes it seemed that rebellion was encouraged.
So, in short, this was a crisp, new series that had an entertaining, but highly predictable plot. I’m really not sure why it was given a 12+ rating. I’d personally let anyone watch it, but I doubt it would hold the attention of anyone under 7.
Oh, one last thing. Unless you want complete spoilers, try to stay away from the official Chance Pop Session website.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews