Tsukikage Ran - Carried by the Wind

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Tsukikage Ran - Carried by the Wind

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:14 pm

I bought the first dvd of this who knows how long series. It was fairly amusing for the most part, and pretty clean too. I think there was a bare butt in one episode. Oh, and in anothe when one of the two characters was changing a baby's diaper there was ... well, let's just say there was no mistaking that the baby was a "he." The series is about a female samuri and another annoying girl that follows her around. It didn't seem to have a whole lot of a point, I mean, one episode was all about the "injustice of a tavern not serving sake!!!" It's very silly, in a lighthearted ... am I really watching this? sort of way. It kind of reminds me of Xena and Gabriel thing, just without the underlying romance - yuck. Anyway, anyone else seen or heard of it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:17 pm

Actually, no, I haven't heard of it, but I'm posting for a different reason...

How can you make an entire episode about a lack of sake? (Of course, watching DBZ, I know the answer, but can you fill me in?)
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:50 pm

Well, it all started with the parched samurai walking into town, ordering a cold one, and then was enraged to be served water. After finding out that the town had outlawed sake, she set out to right their wrongs (or wrong their rights, I guess). The whole idea amused me.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:29 am

"she set out..."

Well? Did she succeed?
uc pseudonym

Postby BrianC » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:45 am

I don't know too much about Ran, but the person who worked on those series also did Fruits Basket and Jubei Chan the Ninja Girl. There are reviews of both of those shows at this site.

Fruits Basket:
http://www.christiananime.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135

Jubei Chan:
http://www.christiananime.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:26 am

Cool, thanks Brian. I've been looking for some Jubei Chan because Turbo mentioned it was really good, but I haven't found any yet. But that's neat that the same person worked on all three animes.
(Laughs) well, my fellow cool person who uses an FF7 character for an avatar, I could tell you, but that would ruin it. Want me to ruin it?
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:58 am

Thanks. You're the first person to mention it. Your avatar isn't bad either.

I figure my chances of actually watching this episode on my own are slim. Go ahead.
uc pseudonym

Postby Straylight » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:51 am

Well, it all started with the parched samurai walking into town, ordering a cold one, and then was enraged to be served water. After finding out that the town had outlawed sake, she set out to right their wrongs (or wrong their rights, I guess). The whole idea amused me.

hehe, WWJD?
his first miracle was turning water into wine

:P
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:39 am

"Everything is permissable for me, but not everything is beneficial." Though, that is a funny thought. I'd point out though, that with water in Israel at the time, it might have been healthier to drink wine.

The real point, though, is not just the use of an alchoholic beverage. Somehow, I doubt it was going to be used responsibly (in referance to the anime, that is).
uc pseudonym

Postby Christianotaku » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:49 pm

rurouni kenshin but with gals kawaii ^.^
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:21 pm

If after a hard days slogging, I wasn't allowed to have a drink, I probably be a little ticked off too.:P
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:04 pm

Let's not go there...
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:07 pm

Grand idea.
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:43 am

I have absolutely nothing to say on the issue, but thanks for getting us back on topic.
uc pseudonym

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews