08th MS Team

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

08th MS Team

Postby VEGETA » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:14 pm

Im looking for a perfect dvd collection of 08th MS Team in both English and Japanes with subs.

Anyone know where i can get one? Does animeniacs have one?

I bought one set from them which i love but it only has english subs and while this is allright for me, i have friends and family who wont watch it for this reason so i need one that has a english option as well.

You push a man too far and sooner or later he pushes back. Something wicked this way comes. Alexander Thomason at large.

Im not popular at the zboard. IM INFAMOUS!!!

I am an American Soldier.
I will always place my mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am an american soldier.
I live by this code.

Im good enough to die for you but im not good enough to be your friend?
VEGETA

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:29 pm

I recomend http://www.yesasia.com, http://www.ebay.com. Both of those can be good. Though on ebay, watch it, read the description, look at the users rating, and get some information on the person. Sometimes the can be bootleg.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Razgriz » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:30 pm

http://www.amazon.com is a good choice. It has all 4 OVA DVD and the movie DVD. No boxed set unfortunately.
Razgriz

Postby VEGETA » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:48 pm

I found one on animeniacs for 21 bucks. Ill get that.

You push a man too far and sooner or later he pushes back. Something wicked this way comes. Alexander Thomason at large.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:40 pm

Oh crap; You mentioned Animeniacs...
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Usso-M » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:46 pm

I LOVE 08th MS Team! One of the morals is "Two wrongs don't make a right". Watch the last DVD and you'll see..I should write a review ^^;
Usso-M

Postby VEGETA » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:24 pm

[quote="Usso-M"]I LOVE 08th MS Team! One of the morals is "Two wrongs don't make a right". Watch the last DVD and you'll see..I should write a review ^^]

08th MS Team is MY fav anime of all time.

Its my absolute fav.

My fav episodes are the shaking moutain part one and two.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby VEGETA » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:30 pm

[quote="Michael"]Oh crap]

is that bad?

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby BrianC » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:49 pm

VEGETA wrote:is that bad?

21 dollars, perfect collection, can't be found at most legal US retailers. Do the math.

There is no official 08th MS Team perfect collection on DVD. If you want that series, you have to buy the individual DVDs. The Cartoon Network version of 08th MS Team was edited. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php has a list of what was edited in 08th MS Team.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby VEGETA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:46 am

I would have no probs buying it from like Gamestop if it wasnt so dang expensive.

I am a college student, Im engaged, AND im going into the US Army.

I cannot afford a heck of a lot. lol.

Also i dont think its really possible to talk about anime without animeniacs coming up at some point.Like it or not, it is a valuable source for the average teenage/college age otaku. We dont have a heck of a lot of money.

Its not that most anime lovers want to buy less than legitimate copies, its just that the legitimate copies price themselves so high that it forces people to.

Im sure CAA does not endorse animeniacs but i certainly hope they dont try to stop the discussion of it.

Anyways so far im REALLY enjoying my stay here and the people really rawk (compared to the zboard).

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby BrianC » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:06 pm

VEGETA wrote:I would have no probs buying it from like Gamestop if it wasnt so dang expensive.

I am a college student, Im engaged, AND im going into the US Army.

I cannot afford a heck of a lot. lol.

Also i dont think its really possible to talk about anime without animeniacs coming up at some point.Like it or not, it is a valuable source for the average teenage/college age otaku. We dont have a heck of a lot of money.

Its not that most anime lovers want to buy less than legitimate copies, its just that the legitimate copies price themselves so high that it forces people to.

Im sure CAA does not endorse animeniacs but i certainly hope they dont try to stop the discussion of it.

Anyways so far im REALLY enjoying my stay here and the people really rawk (compared to the zboard).

If you want the series THAT bad as to buy an illegal priated copy, then maybe you shouldn't be buying the series at all. Companies lose money when lincensed fansubs are bought over the official release.

The series is only $22.99-$24.99 per volume at Best Buy and you could buy one or two volumes now and get the rest later. That way you can watch some and get the rest when you can afford them. Also, the series is only four voulmes, so waiting to get them all isn't a huge stretch either.

Stealing is wrong no matter how you cut it and buying pirated copies of anime, especially when it's already lincensed, is technically stealing.

Personally, I'm against companies like animeaniacs. They not only sell fansubs, but they sell fansubs of lincensed series and claim to be a legitmate business. Personally, I find them rather shady.
BrianC

Postby VEGETA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:02 pm

Well thats your opinion. We dont have to agree,

I personaly find 30 bucks for less than 50 minutes of footage to be WAY OVER PRICED!!!!

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby BrianC » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:46 pm

VEGETA wrote:Well thats your opinion. We dont have to agree,

I personaly find 30 bucks for less than 50 minutes of footage to be WAY OVER PRICED!!!!

Who said that the discs only have less than 50 minutes of footage? There are three episodes on each of the four discs (that are about 25 minutes each), though the last episode (that was not shown on Cartoon Network) is shorter than the others.

I know you're entitled to an opinion, but buying lincensed anime from animeaniacs or other similar places knowing full well they sell bootlegs of lincensed series that can be bought at stores and make false claims about their products is wrong, no matter how you slice it. God does not encourage piracy.
BrianC

Postby VEGETA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:52 pm

I was talking in reguards to FLCL but yeah the 08th ms team has like 3 episodes and even with 3 episodes, its still a rip off.

The average Movie DVD contains a minimum of 2 and a half hours of footage (extras and trailers and such) and you pay between 20 and 25 dollars for it.

The average Anime dvdv has betwnee 50 minutes and 1 hours, 20 minutes of footage and you pay between 25 and 40 dollars.

Its a HUGE rip off.

As far as god goes, my faith is seriously damaged so that doesnt bother me too much. If you want more info in reguards to THAT then PM me.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby Ashley » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:32 pm

I'm sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but please Brian, back off. We've already heard this argument in great detail on more than one post. Vegeta, you are correct: we cannot officially endorse them, but nor are we going to condemn you for buying anime where you will. That's between you and God.
Now unless this discussion becomes less bicker and more 8th MS Team, it'll get closed. Clear? Good.
Ashley

Postby VEGETA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:34 pm

I wasnt really bickering. I was just giving my opinion. lol.

Yeah 08th MS Team is my personal favorite anime series. I am a hopeless Universal Century(zeon war) era fan and im also a hopeless romantic so yeah. lol.

I specificly want an english copy because i would really like to watch this series with my fiancee.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby BrianC » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:48 pm

Ashley wrote:I'm sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but please Brian, back off. We've already heard this argument in great detail on more than one post. Vegeta, you are correct: we cannot officially endorse them, but nor are we going to condemn you for buying anime where you will. That's between you and God.
Now unless this discussion becomes less bicker and more 8th MS Team, it'll get closed. Clear? Good.

I'm not trying to condemn anyone, but being neutral on something that is outright wrong like supporting bootlegs of lincensed material is just plain wrong. I'm tired of hearing excuses protecting those sites. Did anyone listen when I said that animeaniacs is a shady business that LIES about the products they sell? I understand your point of view that some people just want to save money, but there are other LEGAL ways to save money that don't go against God's word. Ashley, I will not back off becuase I think your view is hypocritical and wrong.

Personally, I think you are just trying to defend places like animeaniacs becuase alot of people use it. Just becuase many people use it doesn't make it right, but I still like the people that use it just the same. Like I said, I don't want to condemn, just convince people that ordering illegal bootlegs of lincensed series from places like animeaniacs is outright wrong.

Also with the official releases you most often get better video quality, more extras, better audio, and ACCURATE subtitles. It's worth the extra money and you encourage companies to bring more titles here buy buying official releases.

Also, why am I saying the same message over again? It's not to condemn anyone, but becuase nobody is listening. I posted this more than once becuase I keep seeing people causally mention fansub/bootleg sites as if there were nothing wrong with them.

Buying fansubs of lincensed series over the official releases doesn't change who we are, but it is illegal and immorally wrong and does disservice to companies that work hard to bring high quality anime releases here.
BrianC

Postby Shadow Bee » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:58 pm

so, u do like this place batter than Zjam?
^______^

anyway, i liked 08th MS... the only one that i have liked better is GW. G Gundam and this SD Gundam weren't/aren't very good at all. i've only seen the last 5 eps of G Gundam and could tell you basically what all happened in that series... but if i want a good price, i usually find a store... Suncoast has some pretty good prices, as does Wal Mart (they actually carry some anime in my area), FYE, and some other stores. i dunno if they are located where you are. but, to be honest, i have to go aleast an hour away from my house to find anime at all besides DB Z/GT

I'm back! Yay for me!

Image Best Wishes, Shadow Bee
Shadow Bee

Postby andyroo » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:04 pm

I've never liked the Japanese voice acting for the show. The dub is pretty good, and of course I love the series. Hope you enjoy it VEGETA.

And Shadow Bee, SD Gundam was just plain disturbing *shivers* and G Gundam wasn't all that good.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Shadow Bee » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:13 pm

And Shadow Bee, SD Gundam was just plain disturbing *shivers* and G Gundam wasn't all that good.

yes, i saw one whole episode today becasue of my illness that tied me to the couch. it's very disturbing.
Shadow Bee

Postby VEGETA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:31 pm

I like SD Gundam in a cute sorta way.

I consider G Gundam the darkages of gundam. Its like REALLY bad.

Sorta like how the crusades is to christianity. lol.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby Ashley » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:17 pm

For those of you who are familiar with CAA policy, usually I try to encourage taking heated discussions off the boards. In this case, though, I was directly attacked and I'm keeping this on-boards so that we can have a sense of finality about this issue. Now, that having been said:
BrianC wrote:I'm not trying to condemn anyone, but being neutral on something that is outright wrong like supporting bootlegs of lincensed material is just plain wrong. I'm tired of hearing excuses protecting those sites.

You may not be outright saying it, but your tone is being interpreted as condeming. Even other members are saying things like "oh great, you mentioned animeniacs", implying they know that it will bring on a lecture. That's just flat out wrong....when "expressing an opinion" reaches the point to where it's infringing on other member's rights to expression (such as the ability to mention such a site when it has already been okayed by the admins) has gone too far. I've asked you numerous times to tone it down] Did anyone listen when I said that animeaniacs is a shady business that LIES about the products they sell? I understand your point of view that some people just want to save money, but there are other LEGAL ways to save money that don't go against God's word. Ashley, I will not back off becuase I think your view is hypocritical and wrong.[/QUOTE]
If by hypocritical you mean that I'll snip links to fansub sites but allow animeniacs.com links, there is a major difference there I'd like to point out. First off, I don't care how many times I have to say this, you have no solid, infalliable proof animeniacs is illegal. The CAA administration has personally decided the stance we will take on each issue, including fansub links, rom links, and animeniacs. Fansubs and roms were told specifically no, because of (mostly) clear legal issues. Animeniacs was given an neutral standing, meaning, again, we will not endorse them nor take down links to them . Period. Whether you personally agree or not, this is our chosen stance.

I want to make it clear that I am not attacking you because you happen to disagree with me about this particular site. That's not it at all. I'm calling you on this because you have over-stepped your boundaries as a member. You do not have the authority to go around telling other members what is right and wrong; you can tell them what you think about a site in a polite, mature way, or you can repeat this cycle until we take further action. And you are still welcome at CAA, but you are to remain under the guidelines provided by the administration, whether you personally agree or not.
Ashley

Postby VEGETA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:23 pm

WOW....Nice post Ashley.

Yeah there is a diffrence between expressing an opinion then giving a leacture with a condeming overtone.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby BrianC » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:45 pm

Sorry if I came on as too harsh, but what more proof do I need? Animeaniacs sells anime at cheap prices that are too good to be true that are clearly produced by fansub companies that are even listed on the sites are producing them (companies like Manga Interational. With a big M logo, not to be confused with Manga Entertainment). They sell bootlegs of anime that are lincensed by companies like Pioneer, ADV, and Viz. I'm sorry, I shouldn't expect people to know everything about this, but I felt as if it was common sense to know that if it's fewer discs than the original discs and much cheaper, it's most likely a bootleg. I shouldn't have expressed my opinions in that manner. I'm sorry.

BTW, by hypocritical, I don't mean not snipping links to animeaniacs. I mean keeping topics that openly bash anime open and stuff like that among other things.

For proof about fansubs and pirated anime, I suggest reading MillyFan's signature. http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

I will not post any more on this matter. I read the topic about the pirate anime faq and I decided that I am just wasting my time trying to prove that Animeaniacs sells pirated DVDs and that ALL fansubbed DVDs are illegal. Danex Jovex's opinion was not listened to either and his opinion is more informed than mine.

Also note that I still need alot to learn when it comes to writing and sometimes I use the word you becuase I can't think of better words. I did not realize that this causes a condesending tone until recently.

Well back on topic, I enjoyed what I have seen of 08th MS Team on CN, though I didn't like them taking out a full episode. I would also like to add that there is a scene where the main female takes off her clothes and goes into a hot springs with the main guy in the unedited version.
BrianC

Postby VEGETA » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:48 pm

BrianC wrote:Sorry if I came on as too harsh, but what more proof do I need? Animeaniacs sells anime at cheap prices that are too good to be true that are clearly produced by fansub companies that are even listed on the sites are producing them (companies like Manga Interational). They sell bootlegs of anime that are lincensed by companies like Pioneer, ADV, and Viz. I'm sorry, I shouldn't expect people to know everything about this, but I felt as if it was common sense to know that if it's fewer discs than the original discs and much cheaper, it's most likely a bootleg. I shouldn't have expressed my opinions in that manner. I'm sorry.

BTW, by hypocritical, I don't mean not snipping links to animeanimcs. I mean keeping topics that openly bash anime open and stuff like that among other things.

If you want proof about fansubs and pirated anime, I suggest you read MillyFan's signature. http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

Well back on topic, I enjoyed what I have seen of 08th MS Team on CN, though I didn't like them taking out a full episode. I was also like to add that there is a scene where the main female takes off her clothes and goes into a hot springs with the main guy in the unedited version.

Its not a hot spring, its a heated pool created by his beam saber.

I dont see anything wronge with nudity as long as its not tasteless and i think the way it was dsone in that scene was very tastefull. We cannot act like the nude form doesnt exsist and isnt attractive. We can however decide what is and is not acceptable.

If you lust over an animated character you need therapy IMHO.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Postby BrianC » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:52 pm

VEGETA wrote:Its not a hot spring, its a heated pool created by his beam saber.

I dont see anything wronge with nudity as long as its not tasteless and i think the way it was dsone in that scene was very tastefull. We cannot act like the nude form doesnt exsist and isnt attractive. We can however decide what is and is not acceptable.

If you lust over an animated character you need therapy IMHO.

Good point. I was just giving a warning. Thanks for clearing that up for me too. It has been a long time since I have seen that series.
BrianC

Postby VEGETA » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:04 am

Not a prob. Its my fav series ever, ofcourse i know every detail. lol.

I will never quit.
I live by this code.

VEGETA

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews