Hidden meaning princcess

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Hidden meaning princcess

Postby DragonSlayer » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:27 pm

I heard there was a hidden meaning to princcess mononoke. what is this hidden meaning if so, anyone know?
Dont ever doubt God. He can help when thing even are impossible for a Human to work out.God can help us with everything, no matter how long it takes, how much it may seem he's not doing, never doubt God.
DragonSlayer

Postby inkhana » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:58 pm

Can we actually have this thread without spoilers? *hasn't seen Mononoke* Just curious...:thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:13 am

Hidden meaning makes it sound devious like the backmasking thing in the 80's and early 90's... "I heard there was a hidden message in that song! Oooh Satan!"

There was definately symbolism, but most good movies do have symbolism in them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby DragonSlayer » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:45 am

inkhana wrote:Can we actually have this thread without spoilers? *hasn't seen Mononoke* Just curious...:thumb:

Its now a spoiler I just heard there was a hidden meaning to the movie about demon worshiping or somthing and I was curious to see if it was true, I thought somone might know.
Dont ever doubt God. He can help when thing even are impossible for a Human to work out.God can help us with everything, no matter how long it takes, how much it may seem he's not doing, never doubt God.
DragonSlayer

Postby BrianC » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:05 am

It's not true. There is nothing about demon worshipping in Mononoke and I suggest that you don't go around spreading false rumors.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Rashiir » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:05 pm

He's not. He's trying to ascertain their validity.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Technomancer » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:35 pm

They have no validity. The film is certainly strongly rooted in Miyazaki's own environmental views, as well as in Japanese religion. It's ultimately as much of a comment about modern society as it is a good yarn.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:54 pm

Yeah... the "demon worship" is a good, shall we say, black mark that watchdog group love to toss around... I mean, people love to scare parents and discredit something, and it leaves those who know the truth with no room for defense... For instance, whether or not there is any validity to the fears over Harry Potter (from what I have seen there may be) doesn't matter because in those watchdog circles, anyone who has something to say in the other direction in support of it are immediately shot down. The majority of the people in the world just aren't rational... (which is why I don't believe democracy really works... but neither does any other form of government, especially the "no government government" known as anarchy) and the proof of that is in the stonewalling that happens regarding things like that.

As for hidden messages of demon worship?? No, nothing like that... In fact, no "worship" of any kind took place, but there was reverence for the "gods" because, I mean if superintelligent giant pigs and wolves could talk to you, would you call them names or something?? Actually, what I just said is pretty childish, but I can't think of anything better to compare it to... No, there is no demon worship, the only questionable thing about it really (since Miyazaki is an atheist and doesn't even believe in the shinto faith) is the environmentalism message in the film. That's also present in "The Lord of the Rings" which was written by a Christian and hailed by many as one of the best english works of fiction ever written...

Hmm... I think I may be on unstable ground here... I bet a lot of people in here are probably pretty big about environental beliefs, so I think I'm gonna stay quiet on that from this point...

But that's about the only really controversial thing I can think of... I mean, watching mononoke won't make you want to become shinto or anything, though there is a villainization of industrialization (just like in Lord of the Rings) which is pretty controversial...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Technomancer » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:41 am

You know, I'd have to disagree about the vilification. The movie was clear that it had benefited the lives of the people who worked in the factory, by freeing them from the toil and oppression of a peasent life, by giving them a certain economic freedom. The woman industrialist also treated her employees well, and was clearly and advocate of women's rights.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:41 am

[spoiler="Don't look if you haven't seen it"]But it seemed as thought lady eboshi was also the villainess of the movie. And her destruction of the forests was the prime antagonism. Maybe not, but that is what I picked up from it. It was a tragedy that life as they all knew it had been ended by the events, not the least of which had been the destruction of the forests, and in turn, the killing of the forest god. Even though it showed Eboshis human, caring side, it was still like >>>at what cost?<<< sort of message and a regretful thing. Maybe Im wrong, but that was how I interpreted it.[/spoiler]

I should look it over again (looking for my tape I got off of starz)
Bobtheduck

Postby DragonSlayer » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:40 am

I should look it over again (looking for my tape I got off of starz)[/QUOTE]

just wondering if it was true or not, Thanks for answearing my qeustion.
DragonSlayer

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews