to watch anime or be a man?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

to watch anime or be a man?

Postby lain » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:27 am

How many times have you been out somewhere with some friends or your girlfriend and seen some anime in a movie store or shop and stopped to look at them only to get a look like why are you looking at that. I have been an anime fan since I was 11. I am now 22 and still love a good anime, but I feel now that I must grow up and put away childish things I am thinking about getting married in the next couple of years and I don't know if anime can play a part in that. What do you think. :thumb:
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
lain

Postby LorentzForce » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:40 am

i never had a problem as of such. i am 16 going to 17, and if someone does ask me why do i watch it i use my skills to convert them to the dark side. i mean the good side.

so yeah, they never complain.
LorentzForce

Postby Technomancer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:46 am

You should come to our university club, and see the fans. Undergrads, grad students, alumni, and not a few people from the community at large (married and otherwise).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby inkhana » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:02 am

Two things. I am an anime lover and I am 21.

My mom likes anime too, and she's 43.

No need to worry about it! LOL ;)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Ashley » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:32 am

We have a couple here who actually met through an undergrad anime program, and they're both really strong christians. To reiterate Ink, I don't think it's a real issue...the whole "anime is for little kids" is a stigmitism a lot of people struggle with. Although, just be sensitive to your spirit. If God's telling you it's a no-go, don't let us stop you.
Ashley

Postby Tycho » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:27 am

Phish Posh
The best anime out there is geared for adults. Its time to leave the stage of "let's capture that pokemon" and move on to the really cool stuff. Like Trigun...
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Gremio » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:45 am

I dont see any problem. Anime can be appreciated by people of all years and it certainly wouldnt be unusual to share it as something to enjoy after marriage. Goodness knows my fiance loves anime every bit as much as I do (shes a member here too and will hopefully find time to post soon).

The idea that anime is childish becuase its a cartoon is all too familiar though. I wore an evangelion tshirt to work once and had to suffer the indignity of having everyone say it was pokemon :shake:
Anime has a wide range, some really immature and some that all ages can appreciate. Having said that, anime at the end of the day is only a form of entertainment. I think you should ask G-d what he thinks!

Gremio

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:09 pm

Well,
When I met my wife she was not an anime fan. Eventually she was converted. In fact, she joined this board, too.

I first showed her Akira, as it was the only anime I had access to at the time. Lesson learned: Don't show someone Akira if you want them to become an anime fan. When they already ARE an anime fan, then you can show them akira. :)
Mithrandir

Postby Razgriz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:33 pm

Anime is basically another artistic way to tell a story, like a movie, or stage play. Like all things entertainment, there are some for adults, and some for children. We in the western world typically associate animation with kids stuff because they don't really continue beyond kids entertainment. Anime is getting a foothold though, and it's only going to get larger, that I'm fairly certain. Just my 2 cents.
Razgriz

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:49 pm

hmm... Well, there are two sides to this...

Before I talk about them, yeah... It's totally wrong that animation is only for kids, so with that out of the way:

1. This may just be one of many comprimises you'll have to make... there are going to be things that (hopefully) both of you are going to change for each other about yourselves. However:

2. If I found a girl that I liked, but she ended up being that narrow-minded about something like that, I don't know if she'd be narrow-minded and petty about other more important issues... I'd probably ditch her.

Actually, there is 3. Show her Grave of the Fireflies and see what she thinks then... If she won't watch 1 movie with you, she's probably not going to fold much at other times in your married life, which is a big no-no for a married couple in my opinion, so... You know where I stand... it's up to you, her, and God really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby EireWolf » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:53 pm

It's really between you and God, and also depends on your mate, I guess. I'm 27, married, and like anime. My husband (oldphilosopher) and I watch anime together. It's really not an issue for us. I don't think you should worry about it. Maybe if your girlfriend/fiance looks at you funny for stopping at the anime section, offer to introduce her to it and explain that it isn't like "cartoons." She probably just doesn't understand yet.
EireWolf

Postby lain » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:36 pm

I really like this girl and she is the nicest person I have ever met and we both are christians. I haven't actually brought it up with her but I think she would be willing to at least try some anime.
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
lain

Postby Kuroi Inu » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:55 pm

I think the wonderful and unique thing about anime is that they make them for all ages and the genres are just as vaired as that of the motion picture industry in the US. Because most western animations are targeted at a very young audience, most western people judge anime before they get a closer look. But I don't think that should stop you from being a fan. Besides, you don't have to let anime run your life for you to still like it and watch it every once and a while. God is of course the number one priority.
Kuroi Inu

Postby Mimichan » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:36 pm

Before I found this site, I worried about the same thing. Not from the standpoint that I wouldn't be able to have a relationship (not looking for one^_^), but in the sense that I was too old to watch it. I don't worry about it anymore...and if I ever _Do_ get married, I'll just believe God that he'll like anime too or be open-minded enough to let me watch it^_^.

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:10 am

Well sometimes when I am with my friends I'll start talking about anime, and they'll say, "quite talking about cartoons" or something like that. Doesn't bother me though. Some of them like it.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby madphilb » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:10 pm

Somehow I think that some people will always equate cartoons with children, even if you showed them something like Akira or something with some naughty tenticals. :sweat:

Just as things go, I like Pokemon and Tama and Friends, so there :P

PHIL
madphilb

Postby StarMasayume » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:45 pm

I agree with pretty much everything people have been saying here.

ANIME FOR ALL AGES! :rock:

If you're feeling that you're growing out of anime as a stage in your life, than I believe it is fine to decide to let it go--but I don't believe you should try to get out of it just because there's a misconception out there that it's just for kids (of course this can also depend about how much others' opinions matter to you.)

I know many anime lovers who are over their twenties. I believe I saw a poll a long time ago asking the ages for anime lovers; the largest seemed to be teens, but the second largest was over 18 or over twenty....

I'll be eighteen this January and I have no plans to "outgrow" anime. ^__^ Speaking as a girl, I think my interest in a guy goes up if he likes anime---I would definitely like for him to like anime even if he doesn't as much as me. I wish there were more Christian + anime combination in guys... So stand up and be a rare species! :grin: :jump:

Suggestion: like what others have said, in the situation in which a girlfriend scoffs at anime, perhaps try and see if she would understand it more. When she does, and at least accepts you for it if not becoming hooked herself, than at least this worry of yours won't be a porblem. ^_^

--star
"So these three things continue; Faith, hope, and love.
The greatest of these which is love." - 1 Corinthians 13:13
StarInMyPocket.net
StarMasayume

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:18 am

StarMasayume wrote: I wish there were more Christian + anime combination in guys... So stand up and be a rare species! :grin: :jump:

Christian + Anime + Girl is even MORE rare than that...

Man, that sure does make things hard for me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Staci » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:37 pm

Twenty-two years of age here, have been an anime fan since I was fifteen. I have NO PLANS whatsoever to "out-grow" anime and neither does my fiancé. Our collection will keep growing... and growing... and growing...

To most people who think I am an oddity or childish for watching "cartoons" I have a retort to comments they make: "I would rather be somewhat childish and carefree than forever burdened by the demands of adulthood."

Immaturity? No. Escapism? Nuh-huh. Misunderstanding of Japanese culture? You bet. Sometimes it is too taxing to explain the difference between American cartoons and Anime to individuals who are already set in their ways. Which is when you should adopt the philosophy of, "Oh well, it's my life and my hobby, not theirs'."

But you should convert those who don't watch anime. Mwahaha! :grin: Then you can say, "See? I told you so!"
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby inkhana » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:12 pm

How about this - people talk about animation being childish and then go sit down and watch the Simpsons or something like that...:eyebrow:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:23 pm

inkhana wrote:How about this - people talk about animation being childish and then go sit down and watch the Simpsons or something like that...:eyebrow:

Or they'll hapily watch Looney Toons or Sealab 2021, but can't stand "All those weird Japanese cartoons that don't make any sense" that's the one that really gets me...
Bobtheduck

Postby SailorX » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:59 pm

Hey man! I'm 21, married with a daughter :) And anime is a huge part of my life. You can be a man and love anime! I know people in their 50's that love anime. What about the magna writters. Rumiko Takahashi, author of Inuyasha has to be somewhere in her 50's

You can grow-up but you still need to be a bit of a kid. If you take yourself to seriously, you'll end up old an bitter. LOL

pluss both my husband and I watch Cartoon Network all the time! Powerpuff girls is one of his favs! I love Ed, Edd, And Eddie!
SailorX

Postby DanekJovax » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:48 pm

Bobthedusk brings up a great point, and I stand with him on it 100%

I am married to a wonderful lady, whom at times drives me bonkers, but at times shows that she's willing to work with my interests even though it's not entirely her cup of tea (and vice versa). If she wasn't that flexible back when we were dating, she and I would probably not be married, let alone expecting a child next March/April. ;2)

But... I have yet to have her sit through Grave of the Fireflies... I really need to break down and get that $21.99 DVD at the local video store and watch it with her. ;2)
<>< DanekJovax :2) ><>
DanekJovax

Postby shooraijin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:31 pm

You only spend $21.99 on DVDs at a stretch? Wow. That's heavy. (stuffs all his GameStop, Amazon, Fry's and Best Buy receipts into his pockets so no one can see the totals ;) )
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Gypsy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:37 pm

[quote="shooraijin"]You only spend $21.99 on DVDs at a stretch? Wow. That's heavy. (stuffs all his GameStop, Amazon, Fry's and Best Buy receipts into his pockets so no one can see the totals ]

Yeah. No kidding. For shame ... *ahem*

*leaves!*
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:40 pm

> *leaves!*

Hey, don't leave! One more post and you'll crack one thousand! :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:30 pm

Haha, I spent 39 for 4 DVD's at Hastings! It was Blue Seed.
Bobtheduck

Postby DanekJovax » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:25 pm

Actually, Hastings is the place I've been at looking at that purchase. I probably could get it cheaper at a few online places (amazon.com, deepdiscountdvd.com, etc.), but it's easier to just plunk the ducats and haul it to my car for shipping.

Just my 3 yen.

{ed: Actually, I've looked at 4 online sites, and I can't find it cheaper than $24 (includ. shipping in most cases). If you can beat $21.99, let me know! >;2)}

{ed2: I finally got into bestbuy.com (was slow), and found it for $19.99... given that place is about 30 minutes from home, versus Hastings being only 5 minutes, it's still cheaper to get it at Hastings on the gas savings. ;2)}
<>< DanekJovax :2) ><>
DanekJovax

Postby MasterDias » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:58 pm

Half.com has some pretty good bargains for anime DVD's and boxed sets.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:07 pm

Hey, people we're getting off subject.
I used to have a problem with it, but I really don't anymore.
Most people I've met think Anime's porn, but those that think it's for kids really have only watched Digimon.
You show them Trigun and they love it.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews