Those Who Hunt Elves

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Those Who Hunt Elves

Postby Seraph » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:27 pm

Has anyone else seen Those Who Hunt Elves?

Despite the fact that anyone who reads the back of the box on this anime would think it was Hentai, it doesn't show anything, and turns out to be much more of a comedy (cleaner than a lot of other anime out there, IMHO). I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it..?
Jesus Christ, light of the world burning bright
Within our hearts, forever.
Freedom means love without condition;
without a beginning or an end.
Here's my heart - may it be forever yours.
Only you can make every new day seem so new...
Seraph

Postby Gypsy » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:17 am

I've never seen it. When I was first getting into anime, I read a review that went something like this:

"In search of <something or other> that's hidden on the elves' bodies, our characters must rip the clothes off every elf they see. Everybody strip!"

Yeah, needless to say, I didn't look into that series any more. But, since then, I've heard the same thing that you said, Seraph - about it not being as dirty as it seems at first glance.

So what's it about and what age group would you feel comfortable recommending it to?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:09 pm

I don't think there's any actual nudity in it... I only saw a couple eps, but they were pretty funny...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby shooraijin » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:32 pm

Here's the review from the Anime Encyclopedia. It's generally pretty difficult to get a content warning on a series from them unless there's a lot of it in there, so since they put Nudity and Violence warnings on this, it's probably significant.

Those Who Hunt Elves (1996). "A trio of adventurers is transported (with their T-74 tank) to a world inhabited by elves. Elven leader Celcia accidentally destroys the spell to send them back. Luckily fragments were copied onto the skin of five elves (and you can bet they aren't fat old male elves, either) so fighter Junpei, actress Airi and schoolgirl tank pilot Ritsuko must find them to get home. Crashing quest into skin-flick, with the emphasis on stripping the elves rather than skinning them, there are a few plot twists designed to amuse Beavis and Butthead viewers (firebrand Celcia transforms herself into an ugly dog and gets stuck, ho ho) and [SPOILER="some with wider appeal"](all the spell fragments our heroes find are easily visible without removing a stitch of clothing from their hosts)[/SPOILER]. There are nods to Dominion in Ritsuko's devotion to her tank, and El Hazard in Junpei's obsession with finding decent curry in this alien world. Based on an 'original' manga by Yutaka Yagami in Dengeki Comic Gao." [Illustration] [Violence advisory] [Nudity advisory] (24 episodes)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby SangoKilala » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:30 pm

It's not a really good show, but it's ok
SangoKilala

Postby Spiritsword » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:37 pm

Right. I've gotta' agree with Sango on this one. It really isn't that bad in terms of nudity, not graphic or anything as far as I can remember. However, although there are some funny moments it really just isn't that good overall. There's not much to the plot, the animation is average if that, and there's not much character development. There are much better options out there, but if you have extra time and can just rent it you might try it.
Spiritsword

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews