Who knows.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Who knows.

Postby KarateGirl » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:06 pm

Hey, anyone know anything about "His and Her Circumstances"?
If it's totally perv, sorry for bringing it up :sweat: . Just wondering if it's worth anyone's time. I've never heard of it till about 5 minuets ago.

-KG :thumb:
KarateGirl

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:23 pm

I've heard of it. One of my friends really likes it, and she's a Christian. I've never seen it myself, but I plan to.
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:32 pm

Never mind. :red:
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby nekomi » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:36 pm

Heya KarateGirl,

I've seen the first three DVD's and it's been absolutely wonderful so far... very witty and extremely stylish, and one of the most hilarious anime I've seen to boot. ^__^ The love story is portrayed very well, without the usual romantic mush that's usually seen. ^^

However, I should note that I've decided to give up the series from this point onward due to a scene I discovered was in the next volume. ^^ I'm not sure whether I should mention it here for the sake of spoilers, but I will say that it's offensive enough that I feel led to give it up (and it's one of my favorite anime). ^^;;

Well, I hope that helped, even if it seemed to show both sides of the issue. ^^;;;;
nekomi

Postby MillyFan » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:01 pm

If that scene was implied (as I heard it was, at least in the edited DVD) then giving it up for spiritual reasons must also necessitate giving up any other anime with a similar implied scene *COUGH,* to avoid hypocrisy.

Or you could just say that it didn't fit your personal tastes, that way you wouldn't be a hypocrite for watching, say, Trigun or Cowboy Bebop (both of which have a heavily implied but not explicit scene of that nature) while you rejected Kare Kano for that reason.

I choose the latter, not to justify any sin I'm committing, but just to say that I find the scene in Kare Kano personally distasteful (as I found the scenes in the other animes) and disagree with the writers for not including consequences or something-and therefore I wil probably not watch KK, but that I will watch other anime with implied scenes-as long as there's more to the anime than that scene.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby BrianC » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:35 pm

I haven't seen the Kare Kano anime yet, but I'm wondering why the brief implied sex scene (which is about the only objectionable thing in Kare Kano, from what I heard) would be more offensive than the content in Now and Then, Here and There or another series like Trigun or Cowboy Bebop that everyone here seems to like.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Gypsy » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:40 pm

Here's a link to a thread we had going ealier.
http://www.christiananime.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1463
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby nekomi » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:05 am

Ick. ^^ Didn't mean to open a can of worms up there. ^^;;;

Truthfully, I've never run into an anime (before KareKano) that had an implied sex scene (innuendo, yes, but not the act itself). I know that's naive considering that there's several anime that have such scenes, but I guess I just haven't found them yet. ~~;

In any case, I didn't feel compelled to explain my reasons for giving up the scene up there, just trying to give a brief summary of the issue. ^_^; Basically, my reasons are the same as yours, Milly - I suppose if there was a sex scene that had consequences, that might be different, but since I've never run across one, I can't say how I would feel about it for sure (important to let the Holy Spirit lead). ^.^; The _glorification_ of premarital sex as seen in KareKano is what bothers me, more so than the actual scene.

In any case, I'll continue to make the decision case-by-case as I always have, with any kind of potentially offensive content. ^_^
nekomi

Postby BrianC » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:31 am

[quote="nekomi"]Ick. ^^ Didn't mean to open a can of worms up there. ^^]

Maybe I should ask this. What makes this one brief scene more objectionable than Vash's lust towards women in Trigun, the Faye fanservice in Cowboy Bebop, etc? Yes, what they did in Kare Kano was wrong, but it only makes up a very brief moment in the anime and it's not even shown in detail or anything. Millie and Wolfwood don't seem to suffer any consinquences for their implied scene in Trigun, yet nobody here stopped watching it because of that scene. Why is everyone going to the extreme measures of not watching Kare Kano at all rather than just skipping the scene or stopping before the scene, where nothing is even shown?

Cowboy Bebop argubly has much more in the way of objectionable content than Kare Kano. What makes that less objectionable?
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:40 am

*shrug* personal conviction? Personaly I don't plan on ever seeing Kare Kano...because of that scene? Nah, because it looks like it would bore the snot out of me. I do however like and own both Trigun and Bebop...From what I gather...much of Kare Kano led up to the scene in question, and it was mainly a very integral part of the story...as for Trigun and Bebop anything was very...eh fan service is a good term. But everyone in the end must decide for themself...what is right and what is wrong. I just hope this does not slide into a well your personal convictions are wrong fight.
Stephen

Postby nekomi » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:37 am

I'm not saying it's any more objectionable than the scenes contained in Cowboy Bebop or Trigun (considering I've never seen either...). ^^ Just stating how I feel about one anime in particular.

I'm not trying to compare anything... and the last thing I expected was to be bombarded for expressing my convictions on a Christian forum. ^^; Gomen nasai if I upset any of you. ^^ No hard feelings, ne?
nekomi

Postby shooraijin » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:48 am

> and the last thing I expected was to be bombarded for expressing my convictions on a Christian forum.

Lurking on this thread (since I don't know much about the series in question), I didn't really feel as if it were bombardment ...

On the other hand, I agree with you that sex out of marriage should be condemned under any circumstance, implied or otherwise, and if there were no consequence illustrated in the series, or especially if it were considered integral to "strengthening a relationship" [sic], I think that would steer me away from *any* such series.

I do draw some distinction between fanservice and sex as plot devices or show features, although both could doom a series in my estimation.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby MillyFan » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:29 pm

Shatterheart wrote:*shrug* personal conviction? Personaly I don't plan on ever seeing Kare Kano...because of that scene? Nah, because it looks like it would bore the snot out of me. . .But everyone in the end must decide for themself...what is right and what is wrong..

I agree with you here. I think Kare Kano looks about as enjoyable as watching a lawn grow or something.

I don't see anything *wrong* with watching Trigun or Cowboy Bebop. I'm not tempted to write a big long lemon detailing what was left implied (unlike some people are, if I see one more Wolfwood/Milly lemon, I think I will vomit), I don't have a desire to be involved immorally with anyone in real life because I know what the consequences and whatnot are and that it doesn't fit into my plan for my life, and I don't really see anything attractive about the scenes in particular.

It comes down to this for me: Would I still watch this series if it didn't have the content in question? If I can answer that with an honest "yes," I have little problem with the series because it's not about the scene and my motives for watching it are not motivated by the scene.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Spiritsword » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:32 pm

Originally posted by MillyFan:

It comes down to this for me: Would I still watch this series if it didn't have the content in question? If I can answer that with an honest "yes," I have little problem with the series because it's not about the scene and my motives for watching it are not motivated by the scene.

Well put, MillyFan. I know not everyone can do this, but if I enjoy a series apart from certain isolated or unnecessary objectional content, I don't let that content keep me from watching it. It isn't like implied sex in Kare Kano is going to lead me into sin. I don't agree with it, but it's not worth boycotting the whole series for one implied scene. But again, that's just me. Not everyone is the same. Ultimately, it has to come down to you personally and God. It's like nekomi said--make your own decision series by series, but let the Holy Spirit lead! Good points, nekomi! :)
Spiritsword

Postby Animom » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:17 pm

The best part of all this discussion -- is the revelation of difficulties with various anime and manga. There are many ideas, scenes and incidents that step outside the acceptable. Skipping (fast forward) is possible. Banning OK. Whatever is right for YOU!

Discussion (not really debate) will reveal the possible problems. Anime is such a vast field. Learning from each other what has been distasteful or seemed unacceptable and why -- will help us all as we explore the field more.

This is wonderful! I've been asking my son to invite me to screen a new Anime (DVD rental) whenever he thinks I would like it. How much better to have a good idea of something I'd love to see.

(One place I've found information about Anime is amazon. There are often comments left by customers about specific Anime. That's where I found that Fruits Basket might be of interest to us. It was very helpful.)

Thanks for sharing. It's safe here -- we all have the same FATHER and we all want to please Him.
Animom
my favorite scripture:
"I don't want your sacrifices---I want your love; I don't want your offerings---I want you to know me." Hosea 6:6 (Living Bible)

The reason I love this is because it reminds me that
our God is a personal God. He wants a personal relationship with us.
Not duty prayer, but openness and true communication.
Animom

Postby SangoKilala » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:46 pm

This show is great, not perverted...I really think it makes alot of sense, showing the true person behind the popularity, finding real friends and even a real love...I totally approve of this...it reminds me of real life!
SangoKilala

Postby SangoKilala » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:49 pm

Although I haven't seen the whole thing, teen talk is kinda overrated a bit, but overrall it's alright...I really wouldn't try acting the way most of those teens do, put I approve on showing your true self to make truer friends, like it says "Treat others the way you want to be treated" And you'll really get a good reward
SangoKilala

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews