Animerica

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Animerica

Postby cwp_otaku » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:36 pm

Yeah, Yeah, It's not as good as New Type, but sorry I can't afford it. So I go with the next best thing. So anyone get Animerica or heard of it? If so what do you think?
cwp_otaku

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:10 pm

Yep, I've bought several Animerica, although only when they covered shows I like. Meh, it's decent, but there ARE some rather lax standards, and their advertising can be a bit risque at times....you take what you can get I guess.
Ashley

Postby Spiritsword » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:03 pm

How much is a subscription to Animerica anyway? I thought it was around $50. Newtype USA is $90 (in the US). So if you subscribe, NTUSA only comes out to $7.50 an issue, vs. $4.00 an issue for Animerica. If this is true, I guess I don't see $3.50 more an issue as being that much more expensive, especially with all the extras you get. The one-episode DVD alone is usually worth $3.50. But for those of you living in Canada or outside the U.S, yeah, I feel for ya'! The subscription rates for you guys are exorbitant.

As for Animerica, I used to buy it. I wasn't that impressed. I want to see previews and reviews of brand new releases, rather than articles about series that have been out 2-3 months and I've already watched myself. But when it was the best thing out there, yeah, I usually bought it.

I compare it to reading a small, local, weekly newspaper vs. getting the New York Times or the Chicago Tribune, or watching the local news vs. watching CNN.

But that being said, yeah, I agree that Animerica is better than nothing.
Spiritsword

Postby SMoonEmpress » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:31 pm

I have a subscription to Animerica--the subscription costs $30 I think (I have to remember to renew...)
All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it. I don't have a lot of money to buy a subscription to Newtype, or see any of the anime they review as soon as it comes out, so it's okay by me. I also love their fanart and editorial sections.
I do prefer Newtype, though. I buy that whenever I can afford it...but hey, I think Animerica is decent enough.
"Watashi wa... Jikyuu no tobira wo mamoru meikai no bannin... Sailor Pluto!"
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
(Psalm 62:1-2)

[Fairy-dust.net]
SMoonEmpress

Postby Spiritsword » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:32 pm

Wow! Only $30? That's cheaper than I thought. That's actually not a bad deal if you can't afford NTUSA. And I DID enjoy the art forum in Animerica. I guess I just like to be on the cutting edge with the reviews, even if I can't buy the DVD's (a lot of them aren't even out in the US yet). I tend to like to learn about new series--I rarely if ever use reviews as a guide for purchasing new DVD's--I'll usually rent the first volume instead.
Spiritsword

Postby cwp_otaku » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:09 pm

I got some of my art in the fanart western theme. So I like it more than a probablly should! ;)
cwp_otaku

Postby Kenchii » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:55 pm

I only bought 1 issue at Suncoast. I love it. Yeah there are some nudity, and some perverted themes in it.. But, as long as I never subscribe to it(cuz some issues are worse then others.. ) its all good'. :)
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Spiritsword » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:24 pm

Originally posted by cwp_otaku:

I got some of my art in the fanart western theme. So I like it more than a probablly should!

:grin: Yeah, that would help! What issue was your fanart in? If it was an older issue I might have it. Otherwise, I'd like to see it somehow. You said it was a Western theme? Interesting.
Spiritsword

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews