Infiltrate the media?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Infiltrate the media?

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:31 pm

I was just thinking...how much do we need to infiltrate the media? I mean there it is, just spewing out garbage, telling them what to wear and what to listen to and what to think, and people just soak it up. I mean, there is a lot of really really ridiculously cool anime out there with these really really worldly messages. What if we could send a real message out there, the Lord's message? I know you guys are already working on that with like a Pilgrim's Progress manga, and keep up the good work, but we need more. And not just anime...we could do movies, TV, video games, etc. This could totally happen. Otherwise, we're just going to get run down with stuff like moral relativity and other garbage.

Any ideas on what we can do? Actually, come to think of it, not just the media. We have to win back the government, everything. It's a huge intellectual war, but that's why we're here right? Otherwise, we could just die and go to heaven and we'd be fine. It's the others that we're worried about, right?

Just a thought,
Rashiir
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:38 pm

Otherwise, we're just going to get run down with stuff like moral relativity and other garbage.

I guess I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying that if we don't do anything about the media situation, we're going to get bitter/cynical/etc. about it?
While I agree we most definately need to start making a bigger impact for Christ in this filthy world, I also know that we---as far as this ministry is concerned---cannot take on the world. However we---Christian-wise---can start making a bigger impact. Countless individuals have started making their own magazines, books, cds, etc. all centered around their relationship with Christ. I think a big problem Christians have to deal with is the stereotype that we're all boring, dust-encrusted scholarly types or that all Christian media is well, much like the Left Behind Movie (in my opinion): cheesy at best. When we start showing the world that we're different, we're not your traditional stiff-collared puritans, etc., then I think God will really begin to work.
But be of good hope! Even if we don't see results immediately, the Lord promises His word will not return void.
Ashley

Postby Master Kenzo » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:40 pm

True true... There are many Christian film studios out there (actually, I only know of one: Cloud Ten pictures) and in Canada we get a station called CTS, which has a lot of Christian stuff on it.

I havn't heard of any good Christian games, or companies, so some work does need to be done there...

And getting a Christian anime out there, what would that say? It would definately catch the world's interest...

A lot needs to be done, but we need able Christians to do it.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:45 pm

I think if anime can be used to bring people to shintoism and buddhism, the same can be used to bring people to Christ too. And you're right, we need able Christians, but look around! There's a whole flock of them right here! And before my lifetime's up, hopefully there will be a christian anime.
And yes, Cloud Ten pictures is the ONLY Christian studio I know of, other than Big Idea. If only they could get some par-hollywood cast and crews, the world would begin to see Christians and Christian films differently.
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:53 pm

I meant the world would get run down. Not us exactly. What I meant was that the world would just get filled with...itself(?). All I'm saying is that we seem to have no effect on the world. It's depressing, to me at least. It's like the world tunes us out as soon as we say we're Christian. Do you guys ever feel that?

P.S. 9:53 PM??? where is this? Or is it just my profile or something like that?
Rashiir

Postby Straylight » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:04 pm

Change the timezone in your user cp - go into options. at the moment, you're in GMT
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby inkhana » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:11 pm

Well, I know there aren't an abundance of Christian video games...but I do know of a couple of video game engines that most anyone could use, but the R&D or whatever one might call it to make a realistic game would be rather extensive and would require a number of participants to make something of any length. I won't post the links here unless someone's interested, though. I can't help much with the rest of it though...

Ink

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Straylight » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:17 pm

I found this thing called RPG maker the other day - it lets you design and compile a snes style rpg. Might have a go at it when I've got some time after the exams...
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:11 pm

definitely not RPG maker... if we're going to do something, it's gotta be good. it has to be awesome, something that people, Christian or no, really want to play.
Rashiir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:37 pm

Well, I don't know the first thing about game making. Although I'm assuming it costs a heck of a lot of money and you have to have a big, very devoted staff to get something like that done. At least, if you want it to match the quality of mainstream games.

That could be a project we could save for later, when we've already got some stuff under our belt.

Something I would really like to see is the completion of the Pilgrim's Progress manga.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:45 pm

What if we had more groups...different teams that handled different areas. This would obviously be the anime team, but maybe we could expand or branch off more teams...I know it's thinking big, but maybe we could be a worldwide group devoted to getting Christianity involved in all aspects of life? A thought. Not going to happen for a while, but some day?

Anyways, speaking of the Pilgrim's Progress manga, anything i can do to help?
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:51 pm

We're scheduled for a meeting tonight @ 8:30 in the old chat rooms at the msn forums.
Ashley

Postby Straylight » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:57 pm

definitely not RPG maker... if we're going to do something, it's gotta be good. it has to be awesome, something that people, Christian or no, really want to play.

Well, we already have a lot of talent on these boards, and I can't dare to think how it'll be when we have more members.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:58 pm

What time zone?
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:59 pm

US Central
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:19 pm

yup definitely looks like i'm not going to be able to join you, since MSN chat doesn't work on my Mac.
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:24 pm

Erg, sorry about that then. I'll post a summary and such on the boards then. Any position you have your eye on in particular?
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:43 pm

you know, not really, I don't really know anything about it, I was just wondering if you guys could use my help.
Rashiir

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:29 pm

My ultimate dream..... modern Christian anime. You know, with op and ed songs of contemporary Christian songs that rock, great graphics and plenty of stuff able to entice secular viewers yet sit well with fellow brothers and sisters.

And hey, God bless on PP!! Hehehe, when it's out, I'd love to draw a fanart or two ^__^
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

what can be done!

Postby firefly » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:20 pm

i agree that somthing can be done to help people turn to christ but i think you guys should not do somthing so drastic so quickly. i mean you can just tell someone flat out to become a christain and think there going to do it. the media can make people believe what ever they want because the slowly introduce things into the world like if they wanted you buy somthing like a car they would slowly put it into movie with really cool action scenes making people want to buy one. as one of you said before they entered shintoism and buddism into anime's slowly drawing peoples mindes to believe in it. so what im saying is you need to slowly introduce your guys ideas into the world and then maybe they will be drawn to it and they will stop and think about it and start become intrested (because thats the frist step making them become intrested) and then they might want to learn about what christianity really is and they would want to learn how it could help them. so what i think you should do is slowly bring it to light.
firefly

Postby Straylight » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:12 am

hai hai...

Too often we go flat-out-hard-core-Christian on people... that just freaks them out... and really doesn't actually help at all. We need to learn how to become more subtle.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby firefly » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:28 am

thats what i mean we need to bring christianty to people in a way thats less scary to them.
firefly

Postby inkhana » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:41 am

All right, the can is already open...got any suggestions for subtlety? I know for a fact I'm not the subtlest person. But timing is of the essence; you only have so much time to get someone's attention before you lose it entirely. So what I'm saying is, how does one balance subtlety (to avoid frightening away) and yet have a profound effect (to avoid being boring?

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

right on, right on,

Postby Rashiir » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:42 am

That's exactly what I think...
Rashiir

Postby Straylight » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:02 am

It's not just about converstional skills though - your integrity (the way you live you life) has a massive effect when witnessing.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:10 am

Agreed, Noz.

Oh, btw, check out the thread A-kon, Inkhana...there were some ideas about anime series there.
Ashley

Postby madphilb » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:55 pm

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here (you'll learn I lose a lot of money that way! :sweat: ).

The whole lack of quality thing has been one of my big complaints, along with the attitude that many groups have of pointing out what's so terrible about what the world produces (and are somehow surprised that the world, when left to itself, is basically just, well, the world!), but while they'll complain, never offer any sort of positive for it.

Take the whole Pokemon CCG thing a few years back... quite a few Christian groups where talking about how bad it was, kids shouldn't play, etc. but none bothered to look and see that there was even a Christain CCG around (Redemption).

Oh, and Ash.... Left Behind and Omega Code are some of the best we've produced (as a Christain community), in comparision to all the 2nd rate stuff that looks REALLY cheezey (with a $30 price tag to boot!).

Music has come a long way from when I started listening back in the late 80's! We're now starting to see people who take art and communicate with it properly.

As for games, I've got a few ideas myself... not all that bad, though they aren't completely original... I won't see them done without holding quality. I believe that's what Big Idea did... and while they aren't Pixar, they're doing a great job! Their purpose? To influence people.

But not everyone is going to understand... I've heard of a story of a woman in a Christian book store locally who's child was asking for a Veggie Tales video, the mother's response was "no.... we're going to get something Christian." :eyebrow:

Even RPG maker could produce some good stuff (though it would work best if the final game could be dumped to a GBA cart). But like anything, it would need a good story, artwork, music, etc.

There are a couple of attempts at FPS games for the PC that are supposed to be Christian. I hate to be critical, but I've seen MODs with better quality (and maybe that's what someone should have done too!).

Oh, well.

I can't be sure, I don't know enough history and such, but I think Christians have made much of their own mess... it seems like at some point we left the "secular" movie/music industry... or maybe our numbers just dwindled.

Anyway... that's my rant for tonight, I'll try to keep them to once a week :sweat:

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:41 pm

Well I certainly understand...one of the main reasons for STARTING this whole ministry is so instead of sitting back and complaining about how awful *insert entertainment industry here* is, we can actually try to change some of it. The talent, will power, determination, and funding is all out there, waiting to be harnessed.
I think if Christians werent' so afraid to try and use some of the things secular industries have pioneered, we could make a bigger impact. Just cause we're christian doesn't mean we have to settle for low-budget, pathetic projects! Look at groups like P.O.D. and Skillet; they've figured out what appeals to secular youth, and tried to integrate that with a christian theme.
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:52 pm

I think people take "in the world, not of it" to an extreme.

Eh....I think that's all I'ma say for now.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rashiir » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:36 pm

I think these things just have to have some kind of wholesome message...They don't have to be a retelling of the bible or anything, just a Christian message. We just need to bring our morals and values back into the forefront. I remember watching Les Miserables in class and when Jean val Jean stole from a priest and got caught, the priest said that he gave them to him, and said that Jean val Jean forgot the silver candlesticks and gave them to him as well. A friend of mine was like, "Why would you do that?" People don't really understand Christianity at all. They think we're a bunch of people who don't care about science or other things they equate to truth. Christianity has to =truth just like science does. We have good solid evidence for our beliefs, books like The Case for Christ, Mere Christianity, Faith on Trial and others. We need to get them out and show them to the world. We need to show that Christianity is real and that it can stand up to a little scrutiny...maybe we could get some good debaters to challenge atheist or otherwise debaters on TV? I dunno, lots of ideas, but i don't really know where to start. Maybe we could have a sister site that is for all Christians, not just anime lovers?
Rashiir

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews