What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby NekoNinja16 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 am

Still rewatching Ouran with my bro, but I plan to watch Akagami no Shirayukihime when it comes out(I've been reading the manga). Does anyone know where it'll be streaming? Never watched a ongoing series before. ^^;
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby GeneD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:11 pm

ForeverInspired wrote:^I'll take a pass! It would be nice to not be a week behind in comments for a bit.

Check your PMs, ForeverInspired. :)

NekoNinja16 wrote:I plan to watch Akagami no Shirayukihime when it comes out(I've been reading the manga). Does anyone know where it'll be streaming? Never watched a ongoing series before. ^^;

Which company gets which shows for streaming is usually only announced a few weeks at most before that show airs, and since it's only starting sometime in June/July, it'll be a while till we find out where it'll stream. I don't know what the chances are of it not getting picked up at all, but I guess that'd be rather unlikely.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby skreyola » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:27 pm

ForeverInspired wrote:
Mullet Death wrote:
skreyola wrote:It was worth it, though, wasn't it?

The only bad thing about that is that it's over. I wish they'd do more of that show.

I don't suppose you have any recommendations based on that show, do you?

Nozaki are good shows related to manga.

That's a tough question. Shirobako was so good, I almost want to go through my MAL list and downvote almost everything else, but Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun/Girls Monthly Nozaki (7/10) is probably the closest in terms of style, tone, and highlighting of what each person contribute to the whole. As far as shows I loved almost as much (though few come close), but still sort of in the same vein of lifting the veil on an industry, and even this isn't all that close in terms of the style and the attention to the different positions, it would be the 2005 version of Glass no Kamen/Glass Mask's treatment (10/10) of the acting industry. I enjoyed it a great deal.
Other notables for exploring aspects of an industry include:
Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon for farming (9/10).
Chance Pop Session for singing (8/10).
and
Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Brothers for astronaut training (9/10).
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:04 pm

I looooved Nozaki as well. I'll give Bakuman, Silver Spoon amd the others you two mentioned a try. Thanks, ForeverInspired and skreyola. Incidentally both Chance Pop Session and Silver Spoon have been sitting in my crunchyroll queue unwatched for quite some time. (And my buddy bugs me about Bakuman every so often.)

About to watch DBZ Batlle of Gods on BD. Get pumped for manly screaming and ki blasts, my friends.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:38 am

NekoNinja16 wrote:I plan to watch Akagami no Shirayukihime when it comes out(I've been reading the manga). Does anyone know where it'll be streaming? Never watched a ongoing series before. ^^;

Which company gets which shows for streaming is usually only announced a few weeks at most before that show airs, and since it's only starting sometime in June/July, it'll be a while till we find out where it'll stream. I don't know what the chances are of it not getting picked up at all, but I guess that'd be rather unlikely.[/quote]

Alright, thanks. It doesn't cost anything to watch them when they're streaming, right?

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

NekoNinja16

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:06 am

NekoNinja16 wrote:
Alright, thanks. It doesn't cost anything to watch them when they're streaming, right?

That depends on the anime you're streaming and where it's being streamed. Most legal streaming sites have an ad-supported free option. Although I emphatically do not recommend reddit in general-- especially not the subreddit this came from (what a bunch of morons and dakimakura cretins)-- this could prove a helpful list for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/leg ... _downloads

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Alright, thank you! ^^

NekoNinja16

Postby nillapoet » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:49 pm

I finally caved and started watching Attack on Titan. I'm actually really enjoying it. Up to episode 10 right now.
nillapoet

Postby Mouse2010 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:32 am

Finished up Ano Hana a couple of days ago. So good! The funny thing is that for much of this series, I kept thinking "this is really good, but it's just not grabbing me on a personal level." I enjoyed the show; thought it was beautifully animated and well-written; but I just didn't see it as one of my personal favorites. Then the last couple of episodes changed that. So many tears! (Mostly the good kind, though. This was a good ending.) This is one of the rare shows that I'd give a 10/10, because it's hard to find any flaws or to imagine how it could have been any better.

I do have one question. I watched this with my husband, and he interpreted the ending to mean that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Menma was reincarnated as a flower; the flower of the season that Jintan describes in his final narration. I wasn't quite sure. What do other people think?
Mouse2010

Postby skreyola » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:47 pm

I did not get that interpretation (and I've watched the show at least twice). Thinking back to it, I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I took the ending to mean that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the gang had a chance to say good-bye in their own way, and they did, so now they can move on with their lives. I always thought the flowers were just a reference to that last day together. If that's not satisfying, I can rewatch the last few minutes of the show (though I may tear up just from that. It's quite moving) and look at the narration to see what I get now that you've mentioned this idea.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Finally, after years of it sitting around and staring me in the face, I got around to watching the first Ghost in the Shell movie. Really, really interesting movie, fascinating setting, and really sad and eerie too. But also...beautiful, in a very grungy sort of way. Definitely going to watch the next movie.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri May 01, 2015 8:10 am

Started watching Laughing Under the Clouds with my sister, completely by accident (we were in the mood for something new and happened to see the first episode on Youtube). Wow, I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a long time! SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I am a bit nervous, however, that something horrible is going to happen to the eldest brother. I hope I'm wrong.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby NekoNinja16 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:09 pm

@ClaecElric4God: Is it clean? If so, I'll add it to my watch list, sound interesting. (looked it up on MAL)

NekoNinja16

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:47 am

Up to episode 18 of Samurai Champloo - Hasn't ceased to be awesome! The characters in this show have such great chemistry. Mugen is definitely my favorite at this point. The guy is such a complete jerk and an idiot -- he's so entertaining. Yeah, I love this show so far.

Up to episode 17 of Trinity Blood - Its okay. I think that all the melodrama is starting to make me sick.

Watching these two back-to-back, Samurai Champloo absolutely destroys Trinity Blood in almost every possible way, imo.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby NekoNinja16 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:05 pm

Just saw the first episode of Gakuen Alice. It's good enough, but isn't there an English version? Couldn't find one on YouTube.

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Mon May 04, 2015 8:02 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:Just saw the first episode of Gakuen Alice. It's good enough, but isn't there an English version? Couldn't find one on YouTube.

Gakuen Alice looks very intriguing from the first episode, but it gets tedious very quickly and does not improve. If you'd like to watch the whole series, you can find the subs on Hulu Free. I was surprised to find (via ANN) that it has been dubbed. There was a dub by Animax. I doubt it is streaming anywhere, but I could be wrong.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Alright, thank you. ^^ So I shouldn't continue with it? Cuz I could go either way. (or just keep putting it on hold)

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Mon May 04, 2015 8:29 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:Alright, thank you. ^^ So I shouldn't continue with it? Cuz I could go either way. (or just keep putting it on hold)

That's up to you. I kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't, and it was so boring that I gave it 3/10.
You can check out my MAL list and see if you agree with how I rated other shows before you decide whether to follow my opinion. It's possible you'll like this one, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:33 am

Okay, for now, I'll put it on hold. Nothing in the first episode really caught my interest anyway, I don't really get Mikan and her friend...

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Tue May 05, 2015 7:49 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:Okay, for now, I'll put it on hold. Nothing in the first episode really caught my interest anyway, I don't really get Mikan and her friend...

And that part of it only gets less comprehensible as the show goes on. Hope you find something interesting to watch instead. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Well, I kind of want to watch FMA, but I don't know cuz I can't tell if alchemy is bad... (like, witchcraft or something <:/ ) Vic Mignogna is my fave VA, but the only show I've watched with him in it so far is Ouran and I'm trying to find more of his roles I can watch. (clean enough ones though) But maybe I can find something else for now. ^^'

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:Well, I kind of want to watch FMA, but I don't know cuz I can't tell if alchemy is bad... (like, witchcraft or something <:/ ) Vic Mignogna is my fave VA, but the only show I've watched with him in it so far is Ouran and I'm trying to find more of his roles I can watch. (clean enough ones though) But maybe I can find something else for now. ^^'

Alchemy involves understanding the composition of things and manipulating the energy of the world to deconstruct and then reconstruct them in the way you want them. There are no deals with spiritual beings involved, though some of the antagonists are committing heinous acts to accomplish their alchemical goals.
I'm only to Vol. 12 of the manga, so I haven't watched either series beyond that, but I've enjoyed what I've watched.

Full Metal Panic! is pretty good, and pretty clean.
Mushi-Shi is gorgeous, though there is a focus on spirit beings not recognized by mainstream Christianity.
KenIchi, the Mightiest Disciple is good, and while they toy with fanservice a little bit, it's not bad, as I recall.
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode is pretty good, though the co-MC wears a pretty risque outfit.
Tiger & Bunny is another I'd recommend highly, and it has some good messages about some deep topics.
A Certain Scientific Railgun is pretty good, though there are a lot of things in it that made me cringe, on occasion. Fortunately, none of them get a lot of screen time. Proceed with caution.

Of these, I'd say my top 3 would be: FMP, Tiger & Bunny, and Mushi-Shi.

You could ask in the recommendations thread and get more responses from people who've seen more and know more than I.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks for the info and recommendations! ^^ Question about FMP tho, MAL says it's rated R, does that mean it's really violent? (like, gory or something? Cause that's a deal breaker...) And regarding FMA, I'm looking into the normal series, not Brotherhood since that's also rated R.

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Wed May 06, 2015 8:02 pm

I don't think there's much difference in the content of the two FMA series, but, yeah, there's a bit of gore in them. Brotherhood is a lot closer to the manga (even down to several shots being almost identical), though.

Gosh, it's been so long since I saw FMP... The reviews say that there's language, nudity, and gory violence, but I don't remember it being that bad. However, I'm mostly sensitive to nudity and certain types of language. But maybe I was wrong about the cleanliness of the show.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:19 pm

Wait, so is the normal FMA series really bloody? (I know everyone like Brotherhood better since it's closer to the original, but it's content is worse)

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Thu May 07, 2015 5:50 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:Wait, so is the normal FMA series really bloody? (I know everyone like Brotherhood better since it's closer to the original, but it's content is worse)

As I recall, the gore is a little more cartoony, but it's still there.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:29 pm

How bad is it?

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Thu May 07, 2015 6:57 pm

I'm sorry. It's been a long time since I saw it, so I don't remember specifics, but things that happen in the story include SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a half-formed creature that sort of explodes, someone cutting off an arm, several people killed by having their faces deconstructed, along with various knives, guns, and really sharp pointy fingers, as well as a monster whose mouth goes down his stomach.
Maybe someone else can tell you more.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:00 pm

o_o Okay, thank you... XD I'll see if anyone I know has watched it. :)

NekoNinja16

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:42 am

skreyola wrote:I did not get that interpretation (and I've watched the show at least twice). Thinking back to it, I'm not even sure what you're talking about. I took the ending to mean that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the gang had a chance to say good-bye in their own way, and they did, so now they can move on with their lives. I always thought the flowers were just a reference to that last day together. If that's not satisfying, I can rewatch the last few minutes of the show (though I may tear up just from that. It's quite moving) and look at the narration to see what I get now that you've mentioned this idea.

I actually agree more with your interpretation than I do with my husband's! The part I'm talking about is where Jintan starts explaining that there is a flower for every season SPOILER: Highlight text to read: and they still remember the scent of the flower of that time. I took this to be a metaphorical way of talking about their memories of Menma. But I think there were earlier parts in the show where Menma discussed reincarnation and I think she DID specifically say she could be reborn as a flower, which is probably where my husband drew the conclusion that the flower of the title referred to a LITERAL flower that Menma had become.
Mouse2010

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews