What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Midori » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:52 pm

I think that IMDb review may be underestimating the amount of blood in Kenshin. Some episodes get up to a rating of 5 or so by CAA's system. However, the hero never causes any bloodshed himself; only the bad guys kill people. And the show has a good ethical attitude in general, so I would recommend it to you anyway.

It's been too long since I've seen the show so I don't remember if the translation has any swearing, but I don't think it has much if any. And there's no nudity I can recall...unless you count sumo wrestlers in loincloths. :P
Midori

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:31 pm

And the obligatory hot spring scene, but it doesn't show anything. XD (saw a clip) Judging by the first episode, it has mild swearing, the bad guy said some stuff, but technically he kind of used SPOILER: Highlight text to read: hell more as a place than a swear word? Still not pretty language tho. -^- XD And the dub is... old, so not the best quality, but I think it's the better bet, I like Kenshin's English voice over the Japanese one. I kind of have to run everything by my mom, (sigh) so that's mostly why I need details. :P And yeah, seems more bloody than they gave it credit for, but the blood hardly even looks the right color, and I can always use the "we've watched jaws, Jurassic park, Rambo, and gladiator" argument. XD

Tho I would NOT look forward to sumo wrestlers in loincloths.... X'D Oi.
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:45 pm

The question would have been better asked in the reviews thread, but I will say that Kenshin is typically very clean. However, I found the voices too annoying to watch the show, and am reading the manga, instead.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:59 pm

There's a review thread? o.O My bad. ^^; I'll try to go find it for next time... XD And did you dislike the dub or sub voices? Or both?

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 pm

There is: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4672

So, I've been watching Diamond no Ace. It's not nearly as good as the other baseball shows I've watched (Cross Game and Big Windup. It's okay, but nothing special.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks. ^^

NekoNinja16

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:14 am

I uh...tried I really, really tried to watch Owari No Seraph and just...eh, no. The opening is super catchy, though.
Cowboy Bebop - I'm enjoying this one a lot, I swear I never feel bored when watching it.
FLCL - I tried to watch this a while back but the place I watched it from had the episodes out of order so...here's to hoping it makes a little more sense this time around.
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Ooohhhhhhhhhh.... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That ending, that ending! Little Ed, you grew! The 'Sins's deaths were...interesting, to say the least. I feel for them, in my own way. Greed was still my favorite, and I cried so hard when he died, but at least he went out with his boots on.But that ending!
Definitely not a favorite, I think, but I did quite enjoy it. Excepting when Roy got sorta ticked, and the little ones were trying to watch over my shoulder...

Skip Beat...oh my. OH MY. Such amazing highjinks. I LOVE Kyoko! Five episodes in so far, already in love with the characters.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:53 pm

I watched the first three episodes of Full Metal Panic - I really like it so far.

Episode 46 of Bleach.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:49 am

Watched the first 4 episodes of Tonari no Seki-kun last night. XD I love it so far. Yokoi's voice kind of annoys me sometimes, namely in the first episode. Seki is AWESOME. XD
Also saw the second episode of Rurouni Kenshin. :P I wanna watch more... and it seems like the voice acting (namely Kaori's, cuz that's the only one that really bugs me) got better through this episode.

NekoNinja16

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:33 pm

I couldn't help it. I watched the rest of Tonari no Seki-kun today... DON'T JUDGE ME. ;_; Jk lol. I just love this show. Does the manga have more? If so, it may be worth it for me to get it... And Yokoi's voice doesn't actually annoy me, I didn't realize the sound had been altered on YT... (also I'm now a major SekixYokoi shipper lol)

NekoNinja16

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:58 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:(also I'm now a major SekixYokoi shipper lol)

Who isn't? ;) (I certainly am! <3 :thumb: )

As for what I've been watching, I recently went ahead and finally got caught up on some random series-related OVA's/specials + a few miscellaneous short films I'd been planning to watch over the past few seasons. Here are my thoughts on them, in alphabetical order (minus the short films, which I'll put at the end just because I feel like separating them out, LOL ;) ). First, the specials and OVA's:
Free!: Eternal Summer Special: OH MY GOSH WHY DID I NOT WATCH THIS SOONER??!!! ROTFL!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: <3 <3 :hug: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "IT'S NOT BEAUTIFUL!" made me crack up so hard I actually had to pause the video to calm myself before continuing on :lol: :lol: ; that purposefully, hilariously overdramatic water-gun tag match all over the school grounds (with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: poor Kisumi being used as an unwitting human shield more than once, bwahaha! :lol: ) was just pure fun; and Haru's reaction SPOILER: Highlight text to read: to finally getting tagged at the end was PRICELESS. :lol: Oh man. THIS HAS LITERALLY JUST BECOME MY FAVORITE EP. OF THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE. I *loved* it!! <3 :jump: :thumb:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Specials 1-6 (complete): These short little specials cover one of the manga's mini-arcs that had been skipped in the main show, so of course this was well worth it. <3 :thumb:

Kill la Kill Special: What can I say? It's one more dose of Kill la Kill, LOL. While it wasn't strictly necessary (as, IMO, the series had good enough closure as it was), it was a nice extra, and it left me with a smile, so I have no complaints. :)

And now for the short films:

Combustible (a.k.a. Hi no Youjin), a part of the Short Peace short film collection: ...Well, that was depressing. (And pretty pointless...) :eyebrow: Not recommended. :sweat:

And Possessions (a.k.a. Tsukumo), another part of the Short Peace short film collection: On the other hand, this one was thankfully excellent. :thumb: The 'possessions' themselves were part-creepy, part-mischievous, part-adorable, and way more amusing than I expected :grin: ; and fix-everything-dude was adorably awesome, too. <3 :grin: I quite enjoyed this, and it was a great way to end my little marathon. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby NekoNinja16 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:56 am

MangaRocks! wrote:
NekoNinja16 wrote:(also I'm now a major SekixYokoi shipper lol)

Who isn't? ;) (I certainly am! <3 :thumb: )

Awesome. XD

NekoNinja16

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Also: Just announcing that after about a year's worth of time of keeping it on hold on episode 5 while still following reviews of it on occasion, I'm finally giving up and just officially dropping Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal.

I loved the Sailor Moon manga; however, this supposedly-going-to-be-faithful-for-once adaptation not only couldn't even do that and changed a few things really unnecessarily (and not to the show's benefit, either), but it's also one of the most lazy pieces of work I've ever seen (I'm honestly kinda shocked at the lack of effort and care put into a 'remake' of such an iconic franchise. The studio should be ashamed of itself, IMO). I enjoyed it at first, but since it got *really* lazy/started changing stuff it didn't have to (and really shouldn't have), I just know that if I keep watching it past the point I'm at I'm only going to be ticked off at its adaptation, so I'm not even going to bother. :bootout: :P
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby NekoNinja16 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:41 pm

I've been watching Rurouni Kenshin(finally sort of asked Mom, she said it's okay if it's kinda violent), enjoying it so far. .3. Last watched episode 7. I found out that there were two dubs, and I'm so thankful I started watching the good one. I thought it was a bit iffy at first, but the other one would drive me insane. Slasher? Battoosai?(sounds like how they say it) Cory??? (It's Kaoru, people, KAORU... I know they probably meant Kaori, but it's still not her name.)

Also, my bro picked up a manga perfect for him at Half-Price Books, the first volume of Dragon Drive. Then I remembered it had an anime too, so he's watching that, and I'll try to as well. XD It's funny, I know its type of series is kind of the typical younger shounen, but when reading it, I kept thinking how very similar Reiji(main character) was to Lan Hikari from MegaMan NT Warrior. Even looks a bit like him. (brown hair, orange vest...) So while reading it, I would sort of imagine him with Lan's voice. And then I watch the anime and as soon as I hear him, he sounds just like Lan. XD Upon checking MAL, I discover many characters use VAs from NT Warrior, that cool blonde guy even has MegaMan.EXE's voice. :P For some reason this makes me happy. XD

Anyway, good thing is I'm not out of things to watch anymore. And I decided no on FMA, too violent from what I read on IMDB and too much swearing for me. Plus I'm still not even sure about the whole alchemy thing. That's it I think.

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Battousai is the correct pronunciation. Slasher would not be at all close to the proper understanding of what Kenshin is.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Ikr? It was laughable. XD (but mostly just irritating)

NekoNinja16

Postby nillapoet » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Naruto episode 116. I know, I'm way late on this one.
nillapoet

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Finished up all three episodes of the Air Gear OVA. Loved every one of them. Again, I really wish this would've went on to a second season. Oh well, maybe I'll check out the manga.

Up to episode 12 of Full Metal Panic - pretty cool so far.

Episode 3 (or 4, can't remember where I left off) of Tower of Druaga - Nothing about it intrigues me all that much so far.

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:Episode 3 (or 4, can't remember where I left off) of Tower of Druaga - Nothing about it intrigues me all that much so far.

My recommendation? Don't waste your time. I watched it all the way through, waiting for it to redeem itself, and now I wish I could go back and reclaim those hours of my life. It's by far the least worthwhile anime I've watched.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Still watching Kenshin. o3o Really enjoying it, it is more violent than I though it would be, but that doesn't actually bother me here. What does bother me(or has), was the sumo episode. o_o Nearly naked fat guys is NOT something I wanted to see. Also in the last episode or two, when Yahiko was naked and that guy came in, they coulda covered a bit more. Like his backside. Just saying. (though it was funny the guy didn't even say anything about the fact he walked in on him lol)And in other recent episodes, there were a couple people here and there that seemed to be doing some kind of occult practice, (whether as some healing thing or fighting spells) though SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they were proven fake, do that's good. Still, I love the characters, and the whole show basically, just found those things less than pleasant. XD I last watched 21.

NekoNinja16

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:55 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:
Thunderscream872 wrote:Episode 3 (or 4, can't remember where I left off) of Tower of Druaga - Nothing about it intrigues me all that much so far.

My recommendation? Don't waste your time. I watched it all the way through, waiting for it to redeem itself, and now I wish I could go back and reclaim those hours of my life. It's by far the least worthwhile anime I've watched.

Thanks for the heads-up. Its rare that I drop anime, but I might actually drop this one. If the first episode (which was hilarious) was representative of the whole show, then maybe I'd stick with it, but, from what I've heard, that's not the case. Still might watch a couple more episode just to say I gave it a fair shot.

Thunderscream872

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up. Its rare that I drop anime, but I might actually drop this one. If the first episode (which was hilarious) was representative of the whole show, then maybe I'd stick with it, but, from what I've heard, that's not the case. Still might watch a couple more episode just to say I gave it a fair shot.

It has its funny moments, but it's one of those "let's cram all the good stuff into the first episode to drag everyone in" anime, and the rest doesn't really match up. Imo, it's not worth the spiraling, mediocre and all-around unremarkable plot. What ended up turning me off was A. The copious amounts of fanservice, and B. The incredibly unsatisfying ending.

@NekoNinja
Finished Laughing Under the Clouds. Man, that was a good one. I really, really enjoyed this show, and would love to see more happen; but it also ended beautifully, so I'm content to let it rest if it doesn't. I would definitely recommend it. It's very clean. Little to no language that I recall, only a moment or two of "okay, was that really necessary?", and a really good, fun storyline. If anything, it does have a typical amount of violence, though not overly gory at all. I honestly find it to be a very safe, light-hearted story that I was able to enjoy without having my standards encroached on.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby NekoNinja16 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 pm

@ClaecElric4God: Okay, thanks! ^^ I'll add that to my "plan to watch" list. :) Funny, it take place around the same time as Rurouni Kenshin, which I'm watching now. XD

NekoNinja16

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:32 am

Just started Mushi-shi. So far, it's kind of...boring? *hides from the fans* The music is lovely, though.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it on here before or not, but I watched Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. Definitely a good watch for anyone who liked the first GitS movie.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby NekoNinja16 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:06 am

Finally finished MegaMan NT Warrior Axess. I so love the English version and voices, but now I'm going to rewatch the first series and Axess in subs, and start watching Stream (and Beast and Beast+ in order) after that. Would be easier to enjoy if Netto didn't swear occasionally. Doesn't really bother me, I've heard way worse, I just wanna slap him sometimes cuz he's too young for that. XD Still, I'll get to see the episodes I never did before, why did they cut them out of the dub? :( (okay, I can see why they removed that one episode with AquaMan in it... disturbing XD)

NekoNinja16

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:It has its funny moments, but it's one of those "let's cram all the good stuff into the first episode to drag everyone in" anime, and the rest doesn't really match up. Imo, it's not worth the spiraling, mediocre and all-around unremarkable plot. What ended up turning me off was A. The copious amounts of fanservice, and B. The incredibly unsatisfying ending.

I actually liked Tower of Druaga, but I think the problem was that the balance between fantasy action and fantasy humor was off. There were a few episodes that were really, really good, and more that were just generic fantasy. I don't think it's a waste of time if you love fantasy action, but it was definitely a show that could have been much stronger.
Mouse2010

Postby skreyola » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:14 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Just started Mushi-shi. So far, it's kind of...boring? *hides from the fans* The music is lovely, though.

I'm a bit of a fan, but I'll freely admit that many of the stories are... slow. I'm still a bit of a fan because it's so gorgeous.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:17 pm

In 5 days, I'll be watching Wagnari!! 3.

Not that I have expectations or anything. >_>
Rusty Claymore

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Durarara episodes 1, 2 and 3 - ....Wow. Freakin wow. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Izaya is insane, Shizuo is insane, but amazing they is xD
The second episode meant a lot to me, as someone who's been there before. I never had an Izaya torment me for his amusement, but I was ready to leap from a building before. That...episode meant a lot to me in more ways than one. "Because this world isn't as bad as you think"...yeah...
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews