Sub and Dub Differences

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Sub and Dub Differences

Postby Master Kenzo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:03 pm

NOTE: If I were to censor this for spoilers, there would only be this sentence in the post. If you havn't watched Trigun and plan to, or don't care if it's spoiled or not, do not read this post.

I noticed when watching certain animes, (such a Trigun) the script differs greatly between the original Japanese, subtitles, and English dubs.

For example, during Paradise, (Trigun 23) when Wolfwood says his final line, notice the difference:

Subbed: "I guess it would be presumptous to ask for forgiveness."
Dubbed: "I guess it wouldn't be too late to ask for forgiveness." (similar to that)

Such a minor error, but it really makes or breaks the scene. Post all the differences from any anime you can find in this thread...bolding the one you like best (subbed, dubbed, or jap) Example:

Anime Name:
Episode:
---
Subbed:
Dubbed:

Simple enough...give it a shot! (This might be 300 pages long O_O)
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby MillyFan » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:16 pm

I haven't seen the sub of Trigun (I really want to someday) but the dub of episode 23 was a mess from what I hear.

[spoiler=Wolfwood/Milly spoiler]In the dub, in that same final scene an "and. . ." implying that Milly was indeed carrying his child, was removed from when Wolfwood was thinking about who he wanted to be with in paradise. [/spoiler]

Not *really* important. . .but the ep 23 dub wasn't the best IMHO.

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:01 pm

I've never seen the dubbed version of Sailor Moon, only parts of the subbed; but I found this link that describes the countless changes made in the translation. (Warning--possible spoilers.)

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5976/sm-miss.htm

I haven't looked at everything there, but I'm hoping that there isn't anything inappropriate. (To my memory, what little I did see was safe.) If there is anything inappropriate, someone please let me know and I'll edit this post accordingly by deleting the link.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby andyroo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:52 pm

It's been a few months since I've read those pages so I will see what I can remember.

[spoiler="I guess that you can call this spoiler material"]There is one about a kissing scene when some girl had her [life?] crystel(sp?) taken from her and some comments that followed. Not sure if there is a screencap for it or not. There is one episode that took an entire season (Super S) for the editors to draw over a females monster's chest. I'm pretty sure there is a screen cap of that. The unedited only had two stars. Probably TMI.[/spoiler]

It would be a good idea for you skim through those screen caps to make sure what I am saying is accurate.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews