Neon Genesis Evangelion

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:11 am

another reason why people should watch NGE; i don't have to put all this long spoiler thing. people who didn't watch are missing out something real big... but i'll say it's their problem.

Spoiler!

Should be long enough.

in both endings, Shinji understands what's reality and what's not. in the series one it only shows what he's thinking, making him realise that the world he sees is simply how he wants to perceive it as.

in EoE however, thanks to Lilith and Anti-AT Field, everyone turned into one single being. but Shinji wished for everyone to become themselves once again, even though they'll all feel pain of being human. but because shinji now knows it's better to just face pain than run away, he chooses it. Rei gives him this ability.

anyway, then it just so happens Shinji and Asuka became materialised first out of all those people. Shinji wanted them to return when day wanted...

i can see why. Asuka hated Rei. i doubt she'd want to stay being with Rei for even a few seconds. even worse; living as Rei and everyone else for that matter.

to understand why Shinji did that in the One More Final, you'll have to ask yourself. it's really very audience point based.
LorentzForce

Postby funnyvalentine » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:38 pm

ahh i see i see so...
SPOILER!!

shinji and asuka were not the only survivors because everyone else has a choice to return or not? They were just the first 2 to do it...
[you say my God is dead...have you looked in the mirror lately, dead man?]
funnyvalentine

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:48 pm

You guys know we have spoiler tags, right?
Ashley

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:50 am

not for me Ashley. i'm keep getting this error...

anyway
SPOILER!

Shinji was probably gotten out first since he's the first one to have wished everyone would become seperate once again. then probably Asuka.

now let's _not_ talk about Shinji seeing Rei 'floating' on water and disappearing. it'll just complicate things further, and these days i stick to simple things...
LorentzForce

Postby inkhana » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:17 am

If you're having a prob of some kind, you need to either ask for an explanation (not to insult your intelligence; that wasn't my intent) or talk to djnoz; there may be some compatibility issues with certain browsers and he may be able to fix them.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:25 am

it's no big deal. script errors, probably due to my windows 2000; it's korean version. it sometimes loads the scripts as korean characters, and does make weird problems.

it was like that since first time i installed win2k on EVE anyway.
LorentzForce

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:55 am

That's gotta be a bummer. I wonder if that's one of the issues they fixed in the xp version. I don't know much about international versions of windows, but I have seen other people on other forums have similar problems. I hope it only causes small problems.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:21 pm

Bump, here ya go folks...we already had this NGE thread.
Stephen

Postby LorentzForce » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:57 am

well, after this place converted to newer version, the code problem is solved. yay!
LorentzForce

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:28 am

Whoa... that's probably a great way to make this thread go a bit further. And by "great" I mean "not"

Hopefully this thread will just go unnoticed and can die a peaceful death.
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:13 am

Well it had died...twice...and members started new NGE threads for no reason....as first I let the one go...but it evolved into a little bickering match. I am hoping the NGE fans are mature enough to talk about there anime here.
Stephen

Postby Christianotaku » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:31 pm

One rule on this board should be "no NGE threads"

I Really dont like NGE ppl have killed people over it
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby inkhana » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:01 pm

All right, now, NGE fans have just as much right to voice their affection for the anime as everyone else has the right to voice their dislike of it. That's why this thread is here.

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:01 pm

Well, in the light of Shatterheart's post, I think it's okay. They deserve a place to discuss things as well. With luck/grace, we should be able to keep the thread nice and clean. And to assist them, we non-NGE people should make a graceful exit now...
uc pseudonym

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:26 am

don't let there be Rei VS Asuka thread... don't let there be Rei VS Asuka thread...
LorentzForce

Postby Ashley » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:01 pm

*in mildly authoritative voice* Peteeeer...
Ashley

Postby LorentzForce » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:21 am

they suck especially mentally probably because one of them saw their mother hanging from the ceiling when she was 4 years old, and the other has a memory of being strangled to death for no reason but still remembering it.
LorentzForce

Postby Christianotaku » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:35 pm

WOOHOOO PETER #11111111111

*me looks arounbd takes number 1 finger off*

OH were was i ..
In japan people have kileld other people and blamed NGE do you really think that its good and all to be supporting a series that caused this?
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby MillyFan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:51 pm

:rant:
In America people have killed each other and blamed everything from "just having a bad day" to bad parenting to whatever movie/game/TV show/song is popular that week.

While I am not a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, this is more of a symbol of the attitude of irresponsibility for one's own actions that seems to pervade everywhere now than of something intrinsically murder-inducing about NGE.

IOW, it just isn't "cool" to actually admit personal wrongdoing and sin and to take actual responsibility for it: instead, the "in" thing is to blame someone or something for what happened, avoid any personal consequences, and possibly even file a big lawsuit and get paid for it.

^sigh^

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:57 pm

Shinji is in fact a good charater but .In case you didnt know HES SATAN in the theme song it say "Rise young boy to the heavens as a legand" somewhere in Isaiah I dont remember the passage but it talks about a begin that said unto himself ill rise to heaven and hed to all this stuff like shakin the world theefore he would be a legand that begin was SATAN now ill try to get that passage but its there.Also in the serious Shinji is the beast that said "I" when second impact went down! now correct me if im wrong im doing this by memory but EVANGELION I love the show but I wouldnt let my kids watch it until they knew the bible like the bavk of there hands (no I dont have children God forbid I have children cause id be a horrible Father and No I dont know the bible like the back of my hand)

P.S. This is my personal thought on this anime and not the sites.

P.S.S To anyone who may have read this and noticed a difference I took out my saying"EVANGELION FOR CHRISTIANS I DONT THINK SO" the reason I looked at myself and said "Your not even a christian well the hell are you pull its not your place to be tell what other should do".Well for that im sorry.Another thing I said to myself "If *poppy would let you watch that series you would what the hell are you doing dont make US look bad"and what Lassie (Ashley) said also made me think about it.So im very sorry to anyone who read this and though"Who is he to tell me what do to". Well im very sorry I mean it

*poppy=poppy is my step dad.He watches all anime I want to watch so he can give the ok so I may watch :(
Solid Ronin

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:17 pm

Ok, easy boy. FIRST off, there's the issue of "For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?" (1 Corinthians 10:29). I feel like I've repeated this ad nauseum for some of you, but a lot of what is considered right or wrong is all a matter of personal levels of faith. Again, this site is NOT out to say "Not one single christian should ever watch *insert title here*"; we're only trying to give you the information you would need as a Christian (and might not get elsewhere) in order to make a sound decision about what anime to view. That's all.
Now then, about interpretations. I can't say much because I haven't seen NGE, but it is very likely--given the general weirdness of translation sometimes--that you may have misinterpreted the song lyrics. It's probably the creators were making a Satanic reference in the instances described; I really don't know for sure, so I won't say you're right or wrong there. I do know that people will get very offensive if you say something like that without a lot of proof to back it up. I guess just a general reminder here, be courteous. Anyway, I'm through with this post now.
Ashley

Postby Technomancer » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:30 pm

Personally, I doubt that the phrase Duo mentioned has anything to do with Christianity or the bible. The idea of the hero being placed in the heavens by the gods is fairly prominent in classical mythology (think Hercules, Orion, etc). I know the idea also exists in Chinese mythology, and is no doubt widespread around the globe. The idea of reaching the stars as a metaphor for greatness is probably as old as humanity.

Also, although I am not certain of this, the show's authors probably come from a non-christian background. Their writing will reflect that. Think, after all, of some of the entirely ridculous presentations of Eastern or Amerindian religious concepts that appear in our own popular media.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:52 pm

Technomancer wrote:Personally, I doubt that the phrase Duo mentioned has anything to do with Christianity or the bible. The idea of the hero being placed in the heavens by the gods is fairly prominent in classical mythology (think Hercules, Orion, etc). I know the idea also exists in Chinese mythology, and is no doubt widespread around the globe. The idea of reaching the stars as a metaphor for greatness is probably as old as humanity.

Also, although I am not certain of this, the show's authors probably come from a non-christian background. Their writing will reflect that. Think, after all, of some of the entirely ridculous presentations of Eastern or Amerindian religious concepts that appear in our own popular media.

Thats ture but if you watch the series you see things. A non-Christian background dosent mean you cant get a bible.Like I said I havent seen the whole series but if I remember correctly Shinji was the BEAST that said "I" when second impact went down.Correct me if im wrong by all means if you see something that I said about the series that didnt happened or was not how it was to be taken,prove me wrong.and the whole Eva series is about the bible all of it revoles around what the bible says for example the A.N.G.E.L.s are fore told by the dead see scrolls ( I hope im not miss spelling every other word).Now once again correct me if im wrong.
Solid Ronin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:32 pm

Well...hmm. The thread that won't die...Do I really want to jump into this again?

Eh, no, I'll pass. ::walks out::
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby inkhana » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:31 pm

You know...I've seen a lot of the NGE stuff come and go and you know...not to offend anyone or anything, but it seems like some (<---note, just some) of the fans spend a whole lot of time analyzing a work of entertainment. One must ask oneself, how much can a work of man matter? Wouldn't this time be better invested in studying the Bible? NGE may very well be a complex and well-thought-out work, but in the end, it's just a creation of man.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Technomancer » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:34 pm

I don't even especially like this series, and I'm getting sucked into this...

It is true that Shinji could be called "The Beast That Shouted 'I' at the Heart of the World" given the title of the last episode. However, first I can't see any possible correspondance between Shinji and the Beast of Revelation, other than the word "beast", which is a pretty tenuous connection. The final episode is after all, essentially a sort of self examination on Shinji's part, and has no seeming connection to biblical themes, however twisted. Second, you're missing the fact that the title is a tribute to a Harlan Ellison short story ("The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World"). I'm afraid I haven't read this one, so I can't tell you anything about it. Interestingly, the Japanese word for love is "Ai" possibly suggesting a play on words.

But I think the meaning (in Eva) refers to the results of Shinj's self-examination: namely that he is alive, and wants to live his life as himself. He is recognizing that "I" (he) has worth. Biologically, man is an advanced ape (beast), but by shouting "I" the beast becomes something more, now possessing self-knowledge. At least that's what I think the writer is saying.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby LorentzForce » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:13 am

first off, let this thread die. not like everyone here saw EoE anyway.

secondly, for example, does it mean your computer has the ultimate revelation properties if it has a cross shaped part in the circuit board? does it mean a tree that looks like a cross must have been 'affected' by God somehow, and He's giving you some message? i dont' think so.

NGE has no Christian or any other form of religion material in it other than symbols. it simply uses all the symbols from them, because it's 'cool', and does help confuse the storyline even further. that's why it takes so long for people who just saw it to argue endlessly over and over again with religious texts. me, after watching, discussing and thinking about it for like five years now, concluded that Christianity is just a 'trap' of confusion, where Anno intentionally placed it in order to confuse more so people won't even get it. after i removed all the religous background information, you can finally see where Anno's getting at, and why he made NGE like this. which i won't say exactly, because that'll spoil the fun :)

in fact, it's so simple if you take all the 'normal' thoughts out of it. i was amazed once again, and that's why i still like NGE. it seems complicated, but it issues all those problems and more at the same time. feels like compression... and it works! amazing...

thirdly, the lyrics are rather accurate. so are the titles. well, i won't tell you people why Shinji said 'I', but you can think about it and guess. it's not that hard.

hint: Shinji could answer the 'why?' question he craved since he was born.
LorentzForce

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:25 am

Technomancer wrote:I don't even especially like this series, and I'm getting sucked into this...

It is true that Shinji could be called "The Beast That Shouted 'I' at the Heart of the World" given the title of the last episode. However, first I can't see any possible correspondance between Shinji and the Beast of Revelation, other than the word "beast", which is a pretty tenuous connection. The final episode is after all, essentially a sort of self examination on Shinji's part, and has no seeming connection to biblical themes, however twisted. Second, you're missing the fact that the title is a tribute to a Harlan Ellison short story ("The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World"). I'm afraid I haven't read this one, so I can't tell you anything about it. Interestingly, the Japanese word for love is "Ai" possibly suggesting a play on words.

But I think the meaning (in Eva) refers to the results of Shinj's self-examination: namely that he is alive, and wants to live his life as himself. He is recognizing that "I" (he) has worth. Biologically, man is an advanced ape (beast), but by shouting "I" the beast becomes something more, now possessing self-knowledge. At least that's what I think the writer is saying.

Well thank you for the info. Technomancer I didn't see the whole series I just got alot of info. from site and what not. Thank you once again
Solid Ronin

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:29 am

Solid Ronin

Postby LorentzForce » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:35 am

Duo 02 wrote:from stie and what not.

(i'll take stie as site)

that's a big no-no. almost all internet sources are people's opinions, which is NOT what Anno wanted. thus, it's safe to assume 99% of sites are wrong. well, right for the page-maker, but not the visitors.

"Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the 'all-about Eva' manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers."

- Anno Hideaki - PA #43, translated by Miyako Graham from 11/96 Newtype
LorentzForce

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews